canning squirrel meat

PDA

OH_Spartan
October 26, 2013, 10:02 AM
I stopped squirrel hunting several years ago because my wife won't eat it and dislikes the smell so much she won't even let me cook it in the house. This means I have to grill it. If you can get grilled squirrel off the bone, it is the best substitute for dental floss on the planet.

In teaching my kids to hunt, squirrel is an easy first game and my freezer is filling up with it.

I have been reading about canning squirrel in chicken broth. My goal would be to cut the odor, enhance the "tastes like chicken," and tenderize the meat. I'm well versed on HOW to can the squirrel, but none of the blogs, message boards, books, etc. give any indication what canned squirrel tastes like.

Has anyone here tried it? Does it get over-tender and mushy? Does it still smell less like squirrel and taste more like chicken?

If you enjoyed reading about "canning squirrel meat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tickfarm
October 26, 2013, 11:00 AM
My wife cans all kids of meat including venison. When she gets stuck with a canning problem she checks with a lady that writes for a magazine calle Back Woods Home. Go to their web site and look articles written by Jackie Clay. This woman has canned about anything that can be canned. She should be able to help you with this. You also might like the magazine.

buck460XVR
October 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
Squirrel has good taste when handled properly. When it produces a strong smell or "gamey" flavor I suspect it was not cleaned quickly, or the glands under the front legs and rib meat were not removed. Rib meat on both squirrel and wild rabbit is very thin and will deteriorate quickly, producing a strong flavor and smell when cooked. This is why I save only the legs and backstraps from those animals when preparing them to eat. Canning will most certainly make the meat more tender, and one can enhance or change the flavor slightly by canning, but odds are your wife still won't eat it. Most folks that have an objection to a certain wild game have negative feelings about the meat, either from eating some that was bad or a mental picture that is unpleasant(looks like cat/rat). The smell of the meat will often stimulate these negative feelings and they will always dislike the flavor regardless of how it is prepared. Funny, sometimes when they eat it without knowing what it is, they will rave about the flavor.

hipoint
October 28, 2013, 10:34 PM
canning meat is a GREAT way to preserve it. I've been canning venison for a few years now and it does fantastic.

Good luck in finding specific recipes, sounds a little bit obscure, but the information is out there somewhere!

BigShep85
October 29, 2013, 02:09 AM
You should discourage your wife from canning kids period:eek:

Sends the wrong message:neener:

OH_Spartan
October 29, 2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks big shep. I will use your post to teach my kids the importance of clearly delineated antecedants.

All of my squirrel is cleaned with in an hour or so. I did not know about glands under the ribs and legs. I clean the carcass well but may be missing these noxious glands.

Guide3
October 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
Head shots ONLY! no shotguns. Then you have the best meat there is.

ArmyAviator
October 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
The glands aren't only at front legs; for the front legs, look at the underarm...using your own for reference; there you'll see a smear of fatty looking tissue....there lymph nodes and plenty smelly..cut'em out. At hind legs, slice like you are cutting the cords behind your own knee...look for split pea sized gland...remove......on male squirrels, cut out large bean size glands on either side of ****. Really helps.

If you enjoyed reading about "canning squirrel meat" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!