.44 Cal muzzleloader single shot pistol

PDA

jimnbubba
October 26, 2013, 02:56 PM
I have a 44cal single shot pistol and am wondering whats the best PB or Pyrodex load for it

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Cal muzzleloader single shot pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kBob
October 26, 2013, 05:08 PM
jimnbubba,

This might get nasty. Now I am just funning with you but this would be about like going to a car site and typing "I have a four door sedan, what size tire and tread design should I put on it"

Folks will need to know more information before they can give you a meaningful answer. For example, I might tell you what works "best" in a Pedersolli .44 muzzle loader that happens to be a flintlock and the same basic gun but with a cap lock might work well with a completely different load.

In fact that particular gun might be a good example. Guns that look like the percussion version of that Pedersolli "Kentucky style" cap lock have been made in at least Spain, Italy, and Japan, with different metals and attention to detail.

One the other hand for all we know you might by .44 muzzle loading pistol mean on of the slab sided rear hammered hunting pistols made under different names at different times that can handle loads I would not begin to think of stuffing down a Spanish cap lock Kentucky pistol.

Find out what it is and get back, better yet do that and post a picture or three of the pistol in question on this board.

Good luck with you knew boomer shooter and be safe and have fun.

-kBob

BHP FAN
October 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
is it really a ''.44''? or is it a .45 that takes a .440 patched round ball? in either case Triple Seven, or even real Goex, two or three ''F'' granulation, a twenty grain charge should be more than sufficient, and safe in most modern replicas. always ''tamp'' your charge down, never leave an air space. All this advice is free, but also ''use at your own risk'' as I have never seen or shot your particular pistol.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
October 26, 2013, 07:30 PM
I been shooting these things for over 50 years and have shot at a dozen
different clubs. My wife and daughter shoot. I haver never seen in my life anyone
who "tamped" down a charge. I guess I don't really know what the word means.

jimnbubba
October 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
20 grains it is

jimnbubba
October 26, 2013, 10:31 PM
It's a .44

If you enjoyed reading about ".44 Cal muzzleloader single shot pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!