Northeastern deer hunting is like office work

PDA

Jason_W
October 26, 2013, 03:38 PM
The spoils go to whoever can sit still and endure boredom the longest. :D

Maine's season starts next Saturday. If it wasn't for the fact that venison is so amazingly delicious, I'd sleep in and stay warm.;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Northeastern deer hunting is like office work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MCgunner
October 26, 2013, 09:26 PM
That's true in the eastern part of Texas, too. But, I'd much rather be in a deer stand than a cubicle somewhere working. :rolleyes:

At least it's warmer down here. :D

Patocazador
October 27, 2013, 06:37 PM
It was in the 40s the last few days here. That's rather cold for Florida. It was damp too ... Brrr.

boogieman
October 27, 2013, 09:34 PM
Its like big game fishing.
Hours of boredom for moments of excitement. Then hours of overeating and overdrinking while telling 2 hour stories of the 2 minute kill

Arkansas Paul
October 27, 2013, 09:37 PM
boogieman, you sound like you've been to our deer camp. :)

JeffDilla
October 27, 2013, 10:11 PM
As a fellow Mainer, this week is going to go by painfully slowly! I'm going to be like a kid on Christmas come Friday night!

V-fib
October 31, 2013, 05:50 PM
I've been hunting on my 40 acres here in West MI since the early part of October (crossbow) and have noted that they are getting nocturnal sooner than in the past. Just last night it was pitch dark here when 2 does came into my field of view. If I didn't have my night vision monocular I would not have known they were there.

I've tried reading in the past to conquer boredom, but I've found that using my Ipod filled with a variety of music it helps pass the time.

As Jason (op) stated it's the great taste of venison that keeps me out there trying.

good luck to all

v-fib

Robbins290
October 31, 2013, 06:09 PM
Jeffdilla, i have been like that for a week now. Also live in Maine. It's going to be around 50 Saturday. Kinda warm for deer. But I will take it

JeffDilla
October 31, 2013, 06:16 PM
Jeffdilla, i have been like that for a week now. Also live in Maine. It's going to be around 50 Saturday. Kinda warm for deer. But I will take it

True, although I'm hoping the morning and evenings will be cooler and be good for sitting. The biologists are giving great reports about the deer population, especially in my area, so I'm pretty squirrelly.

RustHunter87
October 31, 2013, 07:03 PM
yeah the warm weather wont be great for hunting but it makes stittin on a stand ah bit more bearable.

Robbins290
October 31, 2013, 08:01 PM
I agree rust. Makes sitting easy. Im from limerick. I see deer about everyday, either going to work or hiking. This location is thick with them

JeffDilla
October 31, 2013, 08:33 PM
Robbins, how are the doe looking down that way? I have an any deer permit for district 24 and am thinking that if I don't have a buck up here where I live (zone 17), I'll head down to my brother's place in Biddeford for the 2 weeks for Muzzleloader season. I have access to some decent tracts of land down there.

Robbins290
October 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
Thats mostly what ive been seeing. A few bucks, but mostly does. Past 2 days, one doe has been eating in a field during the day.

Jason_W
November 1, 2013, 08:35 AM
hats mostly what ive been seeing. A few bucks, but mostly does. Past 2 days, one doe has been eating in a field during the day.

Same experience here. We live on a 20 acre plot with a field, just inside of the limits of a fairly large for Maine town. On any given evening, there will be a good dozen deer and maybe two dozen turkeys feeding in the field. I have yet to see a single antler on any of the deer.

We must have either an abysmal buck to doe ratio around here, or the bucks are just super wary and know how to stay out of sight.

oldcelt
November 12, 2013, 05:22 PM
I agree with MCgunner, even a bad day of deer hunting is better than a good day at work, any time.

ldlfh7
November 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
There are so many deer in my neck of the woods its a nuisance. I live on a cattle farm and countless electric fences get destroyed every year during the rut. I was out fixing fences this morning and saw at least ten does and a couple bucks. Hunting here is wake up, drink coffee, shoot your deer and make it back to finish your pot of coffee before it cools off :D I wouldn't mind so much if I the deer didn't cause so much damage each year...Oh well, I guess there are worse problems to have!!

336A
November 12, 2013, 05:55 PM
I don't hunt from a stand, I must be one of the very few that don't. I either sit on the ground with my back to a tree, use my folding stool, or still hunt on those days when there is little to no activity. If I'd been sitting in my buddies stand I would have never been able to line up a good shot on the buck I harvested the other day. Other than that yes whether from a stand or on the ground, at times it can be a test of ones patients and will.

MCgunner
November 12, 2013, 06:04 PM
This is why I've always preferred duck and goose hunting to deer hunting. Good thing, that, because even when didn't have a place to hunt deer, I had good to great public duck and goose hunting along the Texas coast. :D You're cold sitting on your marsh chair waiting on shooting time, then the shooting starts and, all of a sudden, you warm up. :D

Blue norther just blew in, here. I have spare propane bottles for my blind heater. :D

brainwake
November 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
I am blessed to have a section of family land to hunt. So I use a stand hunt sometimes, still hunt sometimes, stalk hunt sometimes. None of it is boring to me. I sit all day long in an office and design software, so any chance to get in the woods is a good day. Heck, I go backpacking when its not hunting season. And even when I can't do either, I am at the local park playing disc golf.....anything to be in the woods.

PonyKiller
November 14, 2013, 05:37 PM
Sounds like jersey too, bout the same amount of people as an office building too.
I hunt all public land so finding a secluded untouched spot is tough without a machete and a canoe. I've found a couple good ones here and there off the beaten tracks, and off the edges where the gun clubs drive, but haven't been lucky enough to connect yet, and won't get out for health reasons this year. Living vicariously through the posts.

Loyalist Dave
November 15, 2013, 06:59 AM
The spoils go to whoever can sit still and endure boredom the longest.

Um I normally don't get bored for long, as the woods have stuff going on if you're observant.

LD

brainwake
November 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
Um I normally don't get bored for long, as the woods have stuff going on if you're observant.

LD
It's fun to hate on squirrels and chipmunks. I love it when they throw stuff at me..although I hate to admit they win sometimes. I move on if the darn things are too noisy.

sometimes I just grumble under my breath...."I'd shoot your little furry noisy a**." But it's deer season.....and I don't want to ruin it....grumble grumble..

Jason_W
November 15, 2013, 10:18 AM

I can see all of that stuff from my window, warm and sipping a cup of coffee.:D

Don't get me wrong, I love being in the woods, I just hate being idle. People have asked me how I can hate deer hunting from a stand, but love ice fishing. When ice fishing, there is always something that needs to be done (de-icing holes, checking hooks to make sure the bait is still good, jigging, drilling new holes, etc.).

Speedo66
November 15, 2013, 11:59 AM
Memories of hunting involve sitting with my back to a tree on some rocky, uncomfortable ground, fluffing up the hand warmers in my gloves to get the last bit of warmth in sub freezing, sometimes wet or snowy temps. Often days of that, then a few seconds of high anxiety waiting for a seen deer to present a shot. The shot, followed by the gruesome task of field dressing, followed by the backbreaking work of dragging it out of the woods. As they say, the fun stops when you pull the trigger.

Can't wait for this season. ;>)

LemmyCaution
November 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
It may be warm this week, but we've got a full moon on opening weekend. I'm damned excited to get out there at 0 Dark Thirty tomorrow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Northeastern deer hunting is like office work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!