22 ammo at Walmart

PDA

tkaction
October 26, 2013, 11:35 PM
about 15 boxes of remmington 22 lr at the Olean ,NY Walmart and no lines or interested buyers. $4.99 a box. I didnt buy any but just looked and was hoping that maybe the tide has turned.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 ammo at Walmart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JVaughn
October 26, 2013, 11:38 PM
Still not seeing much .22 in NE Tennessee, but other calibers are coming back good. The LGS here has .22 but WalMart has none.

frankenstein406
October 26, 2013, 11:39 PM
Bet money its either the shorts or lr subsonics, no one seems to buy them here either.

tkaction
October 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
They had the yellow lettering on the end panel. I could see I thought they were thunderbolts. Maybe not...I am from PA and I dont know if I can still buy in NY.

340PD
October 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
I have been buying .22 at my local Walmart all year. They usually have a three box limit and I use the website to check when it is coming in, but I have had little or no problem whatsoever.
www.ammo-can.net

bannockburn
October 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
Only .22 ammo I have lately at Walmart was three boxes of CCI Standard Velocity. The rest of the ammo in the display case was shotgun shells and 100 round bulk packs of Federal .223.

Fast Frank
October 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have the highest of hopes that .22 will come back to being a regular "In Stock" item at a fair price.

This nonsense has gone on far too long.

Those of us that tried to profiteer, and those of us that supported them by paying too much, and those of us that greedily bought far more ammo than they would normally use are equally to blame.

I tried to be reasonable throughout this mess. I refused to pay triple prices, I did not sell any ammo, and did not buy and hoard more ammo than normal.

All I want to do is go shoot my .22s. That's the sad part, because I have fired about 250 rounds so far this year.

I would normally shoot more than that in a week.

The gun grabbers sure put us in a spin, didn't they?

MagnunJoe
October 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
If u r lucky enough to find .22LR in a south FL WM, u can only get 1 box of 550 Federal at a time, for some odd reason the 3 box limit does not apply for a brick of 22s. Go figure.

22-rimfire
October 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
I was in Walmart yesterday in East TN and saw no 22LR. They told me that they typically get it in, but it sells of course. They indicated it is not selling as quickly as it used to which means either people are running out of money, have sufficient supply on hand, or supply is beginning to catch up with demand.

The most common 22LR they get in are the bulk packs.

marv
October 27, 2013, 09:44 PM
I found .22 at my local Walmart last week. First time in months. CCI std vel. $4.97/box. $4.97 for a fifty cent box of rifle shells.

Eb1
October 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
20 miles from Remington factory in Lonoke, AR. Walmart has zero. That is a BIG 0 for .22 LR.

wow6599
October 27, 2013, 10:04 PM
Had more than a few boxes of .22lr at WM tonight.
I bought my limit of 3 boxes - CCI Mini-Mags @ $7.4? for a "box" of 100.

BHP FAN
October 27, 2013, 10:11 PM
I figure it's not hoarders we should be blaming. When I was in the military, we used it as training ammo in boot camp. We have heard that the Government is buying up all the centerfire ammo....why wouldn't they be buying .22, as well?

X-JaVeN-X
October 28, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have been buying .22 at my local Walmart all year. They usually have a three box limit and I use the website to check when it is coming in, but I have had little or no problem whatsoever.
www.ammo-can.net
Thank you for posting this website...I had never heard of it. I've been trying to find .22lr for months and just don't have the time to go stand in my walmart every morning on the off chance that they get some in (my walmart puts their stock out every morning at 7:00am and anything they get is gone within a few minutes).

I checked that website you posted and it said that my walmart got some winchester .22 lr bulk packs (500 rds) late yesterday afternoon. So, I figured if they got it yesterday afternoon, then they would be putting it out at 7:00 this morning, so I went out there at 6:30 this morning and waited, and sure enough, they got a case of those 500 rd packs...the exact ones the website showed they received yesterday...so, my wife and I each got a box (1 box limit @ $24.97 a box) and we can finally go shoot some.

Thanks again for posting! Now, I just have to wait for some .22 wmr and I"ll be set.

Vector
October 28, 2013, 11:17 AM
www.ammo-can.net
Thanks for the website.

jimmyraythomason
October 28, 2013, 11:35 AM
Bet money its either the shorts or lr subsonics, no one seems to buy them here either. These rounds are even scarcer than long rifle ammo around here! We predator trappers need these rounds as they are less damaging to caught animals being dispatched. Even before this last ammo shortage,.22 shorts were hard to find!

Byron
October 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
Spoke to the Sporting Goods clerk last Friday at the Walmart in Murfreesboro,TN. She said the ammo is put out early in the AM and it is the same people in line buying it and as there is a limit,often she can tell others are buying for one of those in line.A friend went early and got several boxes.He saw several in line at a Gun Show selling the 22's for over 3 times the price paid. I keep an eye on Midway and yesterday they had a 500 round box of Norma USA 22 HV for $55. Ordered one.

EHL
October 29, 2013, 12:40 AM
tagged for future referrence

mboylan
October 29, 2013, 02:41 AM
I figure it's not hoarders we should be blaming. When I was in the military, we used it as training ammo in boot camp. We have heard that the Government is buying up all the centerfire ammo....why wouldn't they be buying .22, as well?
Bull! The amount of centerfire ammo the government is actually buying, not reserving the right to buy, is just a drop in a bucket compared to what the ammo companies make in a week. The amount of rimfire ammo the government buys is small compared to a day's production. The problem is 100% hoarders, resellers and the suckers who buy from the resellers.

Guy B. Meredith
October 31, 2013, 04:20 AM
CCI Mini-Mags at the South Salem Wal-Mart. Three box per day per caliber, 100 count sleeve $7.67, I believe.

Tirod
October 31, 2013, 11:24 AM

It very much is hoarders.

The Army has it's own centerfire ammo made at the Lake City plant, and they are reportedly so advanced after ten years of production they are cancelling the night shift, taking voluntary early retirements, etc. There's no longer a surge, we've been pulling out of SW Asia for over two years. It's more than a downsizing.

During that time, with flush budgets and a war ongoing, the Services don't piddle around with shooting .22 and all the hassle. They shoot issue ammunition, especially combat arms troops, and any unit going overseas. In my case, we shot and familiarized on every weapon we owned - M9, M16a2, M249, M60, Mk 17, M2, etc. MP's get a lot of firepower - more than the average infantry squad. We did all that back in 2002, and at the time, they already knew they were sending us to GTMO where we would rack our guns for 6 months and not even touch them.

As for Homeland or others buying up all the ammo, it's a convenient excuse, but untrue. It was based on the normal open ended contract and looked huge, break it down to what the average agent would get per service (it was a bulk order for DOD, too, ) it barely covered target practice twice a year. It was mostly for concealed carry pistol ammo.

Nope, what we have is hoarders. Right now there's plenty of ammo, but the guys lining up at WalMart to snag three boxes aren't the big players anyway. That is about the worst place to get ammo in any quantity - it's at the end of a long chain of distribution that doesn't sell much, it just gets a few boxes out at the neighborhood level. Locally, a lot of that ammo is getting snapped up and used as collateral for other trades by the flippers - gun guys who make deals daily as a matter of their income. They are supplying the guys who throw up their hands at having to line up a 7AM at Walmart.

The heavy users went to reloading years ago after the last scare, and that is where they saw shortages. They hoard primers, sales on them went up exponentially when they thought a shortage was coming. Last February, you couldn't buy a Lee turret press kit, much less any, all the new guys wanting to reload had the wait time out past 6 weeks or more, just like trying to buy a new AR.

It's definitely hoarders - what we experienced was a larger than normal number of folks getting into shooting, and the Just In Time supply system the Internal Revenue is punitively enforcing means we can't stockpile goods in the retail system anymore. Take a look at the natural disasters we've had - there wasn't even enough sheetrock in Florida to fix up houses after the last major hurricane, they imported Chinese sheetrock by the boatloads, and it was defective. All because Congress taxes inventory and nobody keeps any in stock now.

Goes to Walmart - the cases of ammo usually get broken down at a distribution center, and they ship boxes of each caliber to the stores - not pallets. No place to put it anyway, and the bean counters don't like excess inventory because it doesn't get flipped in stores. If you have two years supply, you lose money on it sitting in the back warehouse. Better to ship a quarter of it and use the money for something else this season to make more profit. Money sitting in the warehouse can't make money on the sales floor this quarter.

That's what is really going on with ammo now - there's no retail bulk purchases, people are buying ten times what they did because they are in a panic. Lot's of things are getting back on the shelf as they finally realize it was just exactly that.

And reloading supplies are still selling briskly. You can't reload .22, therefore it's still in demand and it's not going to get better.

rdhood
October 31, 2013, 11:40 AM
I have been checking Walmart/Academy/online weekly. For the FIRST time this year, I was able to purchase some .22LR.

I was in Walmart, checking as normal(today, Oct 30). The guy behind the counter says "can I help you find something". I mentioned that I was doing my weekly check for .22lr. He goes over to the side, pulls out and plops a 500 round box of Winchester Xpert HV. He had a box with 10-12 500 rd boxes in it, and 6 of them were sold in the last 20 minutes. He said that without trying... almost any time of the day... a case like that will be gone within an hour.

I don't have the opportunity to play the .22lr game at local stores. I work for a living. I went for 10 months without seeing a single box of .22lr on the shelves anywhere, and got lucky to be in the store within the same half hour that this was came available.

p.s. I have never shot Winchester before, and I normally would purchase Blazer/Federal. Hopefully, one of my guns will like this stuff.

madwildcat
October 31, 2013, 04:02 PM
Walmart near me had some Winchester 22 in 50 round sleeves for $10 bucks a pop, and that's the first 22 LR I have seen since January there. Maybe the hoarders are running out of money. There seemed to be a lot of over priced, Walmart bought 22 LR at the last gun show I went to, but it didn't seem to be selling.

aarondhgraham
October 31, 2013, 04:34 PM
Last week I got some Mini Mags from Wal Mart,,,
It was in the evening and I had walked to the ammo counter on a whim.

The girl was unloading a shopping cart of ammo boxes,,,
I was able to get three 100 round packs for $7.something per pack.

That's the first time I have been able to buy any .22 since January,,,
I wasn't low on normal .22 LR but was low on Mini Mags,,,
That's three more days of shooting slow and easy. :D

9mm, .38 Special. .380 ACP, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag have appeared over the last 2 months,,,
Not in any huge quantities but at least I've been able to replenish my bench stock a bit,,,
When I see some 550 round Federal Bulk Packs back on the shelves,,,
I'll buy my limit and dance a jig in the aisles.

Aarond

lobo9er
October 31, 2013, 04:52 PM
Thunder Bolts:barf: :) I saw some too at our walmart. I guess for the cost it shoots but I have had so menu duds outta thunder bolts in the past few years I pass them up even now. I do however see a pick up also of ammo. Everywhere except gander Mtn. To me it seems like they are playing on and playing up the drought a bit for marketing. prolly not just thinking out loud silently on a keyboard...

madwildcat
October 31, 2013, 06:20 PM
I will join in the jig dancing as long as they are bulk packs at normal prices and none of the $55 crude I have seen at gun shows or online

Ignition Override
October 31, 2013, 06:51 PM
lobo9er exposed the sordid truth, sort of like opening an ancient coffin on Halloween.

Many of us will avoid Thunderbolt unless it (one day) becomes the Only .22LR to return to reasonable, pre-panic prices.
Until then, 7.62x39 will continue to be the primary plinking ammo for some of us.

DM~
October 31, 2013, 11:07 PM
I was in my closest WW today, they had quite a few boxes of 22WMR's. I don't need any, so i didn't buy any at all. They also had .223's and other CF ammo...

DM

zxcvbob
October 31, 2013, 11:23 PM
I have been buying .22 at my local Walmart all year. [central MN] They usually have a three box limit and I use the website to check when it is coming in, but I have had little or no problem whatsoever.

Really? I still haven't seen any in Rochester yet. But I haven't been looking all that hard.

22-rimfire
November 1, 2013, 12:28 AM
I haven't seen a box of 22LR of any brand at Walmart since January (10 elapsed months). Tomorrow is Nov. 1st and I still find it hard to believe. I won't stand in line or time a visit on the off chance they may get some in at 7:00AM. When I go for normal shopping (typically groceries), I check. No 22LR ammo. No 22WMR. Some centerfire, typically 40 S&W and an occasional box or three of 9mm and some of the hunting centerfire rifle calibers.

340PD
November 1, 2013, 08:39 PM
This site works best if you check it in the evening. Green usually means they received it that day and it will be out the following morning. Click on "Force Check" and all calibers available will show in that same store you were checking for 22 ammo. It is not 100% reliable but it has not let me down yet.

www.ammo-can.net

Fishbed77
November 2, 2013, 02:24 AM
No .22LR to be found in SC. I haven't seen a single round in any store since July.

Deltaboy
November 2, 2013, 12:47 PM
None at my Wall Mart as of 6:30 pm last night.

Eb1
November 2, 2013, 01:15 PM
I don't care if you wear a tinfoil hat or not. There is something going on in this Country with ammunition.
It smells fishy.

Potatohead
November 2, 2013, 01:31 PM
Is their an ammo shortage?

Eb1
November 2, 2013, 02:07 PM
Is there?

Yarddog
November 2, 2013, 02:47 PM
22 lr is one of the most popular caliber for new shooters.. Just how many (new shooters) do you think is out here ??

With the ammo like it is,,Everyone should be stocked up by next year :D
Y/D

Eb1
November 2, 2013, 02:50 PM
So you're going to believe that the biggest retail chain in the WORLD cannot get orders in from manufacturers for .22 LR. That just doesn't make any sense to me. We have Remington in Lonoke, AR making 6 to 11 million rounds a day is what is reported.

How are hundreds of millions of rounds being held from Walmart which is an AR company as well? Doesn't make sense.

Ky Larry
November 2, 2013, 03:03 PM
Is there really an ammo shortage? Well,IMHO,yes and no. The ammo companies are turning out more ammo than ever. However, horders, profiteers, and panic buyers are grabbing everything they can get their hands on. In the immortal words of Pogo,"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Just my $0.02 worth.

dvdcrr
November 2, 2013, 05:04 PM
I dont buy at walmart because this country would be a bad place if every retailer treated customers and employees (excuse me, associates) the way they do. That being said there is way more ammo on a certain website going to the highest bidder than there should be.

redneck2
November 2, 2013, 09:07 PM
Last week I got a bulk pack of 500 Winchester HV's at Big R (farm store) in Warsaw IN for $40 (I think, don't remember exactly)

Stock is starting to show up at a lot of places, though some doesn't last too long. Unless ther's another panic, it looks like everything is close to normal. There's centerfire stuff every where around here.
I think you'd have more success forgetting WM and going to the LGS, chain sports stores, or farm type stores

eforquer
November 2, 2013, 09:16 PM
havent seen 22 for ever in albany ny holly cow who would have thought 22 would be hard to fined? crazy

texasgun
November 3, 2013, 01:22 AM
I don't get the obsession hoarders and panic-buyers have with .22LR.

Currently I can get military surplus 5.56 / 9mm / .45ACP / .40 at my local Wal-Mart with decent prices. But: .22LR is NOWHERE to be seen and apparently as soon as it's on the shelves someone immediately buys it...

now.... .22LR (without careful storage) won't last forever as rimfire ammo ; it's a crappy SD round and for hunting purposes it's only good up to raccoon and maybe a small coyote.... so why do people buy that stuff like crazy and still re-sell for outrageous prices online?

when I can get 150rds of 5.56 "green tip" ammo (water-proof primer, sealed casing) for $69 .... $50 for a brick of .22LR is a horrible deal.

carbon-arch
November 3, 2013, 01:24 AM
I have to agree with KY Larry, sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

111t
November 3, 2013, 01:08 PM
I picked up a 325 rd box of federal auto match at the same olean ny store the last week of September. I was there to get a hunting license and there it was. I bought one. It looked like there were 5-6 of them. The limit would have been 2. The 'shortage' is a result of increased demand outstripping production capacity.

twinluke
November 3, 2013, 01:50 PM
I really believe that some employees there call their friends to let them know ammo just came in. I travel south LA. So I see a good many Walmart and I'll make a quick stop from time to time and check for ammo. I stop at one last week and they had a few boxes of CCI .22 50 count so I get in line. By the time it was my turn there where 2 boxes left and I got those two. The guy behind me mention he got there late and did not buy anything. I ask him if he came by often and he mention when his friend called him. So the crazy itch is still going on. At least in Louisiana.

Mike1234567
November 3, 2013, 02:23 PM
I really believe that some employees there call their friends to let them know ammo just came in. I travel south LA. So I see a good many Walmart and I'll make a quick stop from time to time and check for ammo. I stop at one last week and they had a few boxes of CCI .22 50 count so I get in line. By the time it was my turn there where 2 boxes left and I got those two. The guy behind me mention he got there late and did not buy anything. I ask him if he came by often and he mention when his friend called him. So the crazy itch is still going on. At least in Louisiana.
Naah... Ya' really think so?? :eek: :D

frankenstein406
November 3, 2013, 02:33 PM
Nah they just buy the ammo for them, this girl that worked there showed me a pic off her phone. She had a box filled with federal 9mm, big box 22lr win fed all different kinds. She said whenever it comes in she buys it and gets a discount on it to lol.

Eb1
November 3, 2013, 02:34 PM
raccoon and maybe a small coyote

I don't think you have much experience with a .22 LR. It will drop a deer just like a .30-06 will. I have killed 300 lbs pigs with a .22 LR @ 50 yards. One placed in the ear hole, and you have a downed pig. A heart shot to a deer, and they are DRT. It isn't legal, but at times people are allowed to use .22 LR for pest control of farms.
And poachers weapon of choice for deer is the .22 LR. "raccoon and maybe a small coyote" you should rethink that.

javjacob
November 3, 2013, 02:56 PM
still cant get any 22LR or 22mag around my area.

texasgun
November 4, 2013, 12:02 AM
@EB1

just because a round CAN (in a best case scenario) do something... doesn't mean the round is a great choice for that task.

Yes - I know .22LR can drop deer and even black bears if you hit them in the perfect spot. I get it. That being said: shooting deer or larger game with .22LR is incredibly sadistic and illegal in nearly all States for obvious reasons.

My main argument was: why do people still buy .22LR at grossly (!) inflated prices when legit and much more powerful ammo like 5.56 is available a prices just a tad above the buying-panic? Doesn't make sense to me.... my local WalMart has 5.56 at .40cent/rd and plenty of boxes around... yet the crappy .22LR Winchester ammo is flying of the shelves and always gone....

Queen_of_Thunder
November 4, 2013, 12:13 AM
@EB1

just because a round CAN (in a best case scenario) do something... doesn't mean the round is a great choice for that task.

Yes - I know .22LR can drop deer and even black bears if you hit them in the perfect spot. I get it. That being said: shooting deer or larger game with .22LR is incredibly sadistic and illegal in nearly all States for obvious reasons.

My main argument was: why do people still buy .22LR at grossly (!) inflated prices when legit and much more powerful ammo like 5.56 is available a prices just a tad above the buying-panic? Doesn't make sense to me.... my local WalMart has 5.56 at .40cent/rd and plenty of boxes around... yet the crappy .22LR Winchester ammo is flying of the shelves and always gone....
What. I can get 5.56 for 50 cents a round before taxes and 22lr for 4-8 cents a round. So please explain how its cheaper for me to buy 5.56 vs 22lr. I'm curious to the math you used to back this statement "why do people still buy .22LR at grossly (!) inflated prices when legit and much more powerful ammo like 5.56 is available a prices just a tad above".

rhinoh
November 4, 2013, 05:28 AM
No .22LR to be found in SC. I haven't seen a single round in any store since July.
Where in SC?
I have picked up literally thousands of rounds of .22 at WalMarts in the Midlands of SC the last 3 months or so.
I keep large amounts of .22 as it is the only thing I shoot that I can't reload.

Fishbed77
November 5, 2013, 12:04 AM
I have picked up literally thousands of rounds of .22 at WalMarts in the Midlands of SC the last 3 months or so.

Which Wal-Marts? When do you see them? I haven't seen a single round or .22LR (not counting ratshot) in any Columbia area Wal-Marts since last November.

MarcoPolo
November 5, 2013, 11:16 AM
Went to my local Walmart yesterday in search of some 22LR. I was told they didn't have any by the individual behind the counter. Stopped in this morning to check again and to my dismay there was a pile of the outer packing from the CCI 100 round packs. They had all been sold in the morning. The individual I spoke with stated they had gotten a shipment in yesterday but did not put them out till today. It sounded like they were sold to the same group of regulars who go in every morning to buy them out.

wally
November 5, 2013, 12:19 PM
and no lines or interested buyers. $4.99 a box.

That's like $50/500 or $0.10/round :eek: I'm thrilled they are not selling at that price!

rhinoh
November 5, 2013, 07:10 PM
Which Wal-Marts? When do you see them? I haven't seen a single round or .22LR (not counting ratshot) in any Columbia area Wal-Marts since last November.
Picked up 3 more boxes of 325 round Federal Automatch .22 at Bush River this morning. Still 6 boxes when I left and no one waiting...
I've also found some at Ballentine and West Columbia recently.

PapaG
November 5, 2013, 08:23 PM
Wow! $4.99 a box. Equates to a few cents under $50 a carton. I guess it is better than the $85/carton I've seen on the internet and at gun shows lately. I too hope things get rational again.

Cee Zee
November 6, 2013, 07:09 AM
$50 a brick for Remington Thunderduds is not my idea of a good deal. I refuse to pay prices like that even though I have paid way more than I wanted. But it wasn't for Remington. I wouldn't buy that stuff for $5 a brick.

frankmako
November 6, 2013, 07:47 AM
none at any of my seven local wal marts in chattanooga. we still got the guys that know when it comes in and buys it all for resale at gun stores at a higher price. but at last gun show the high price ammo was not moving. i hope they lose their pants on this.

340PD
November 6, 2013, 10:01 AM
I watched one season (fast forward) of one of the "preppers" shows yesterday. The common theme among them was lots of ammo. One individual claimed to have over 2 million rounds of various calibers. In the old days we shot a box and went to the store and bought another box. Not any more.
BTW, yesterday I was in my local Walmart and on a whim I wandered over to the ammo section. I bought my three box limit of Winchester 100 rd. pack@ 8/rd. which is by far the most I have paid for .22 this year. The counter man said last Saturday night they got in five cases of 550 ct. Federal. Yes, it went fast Sunday morning, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

edgartwib
November 6, 2013, 01:54 PM
At wally world yesterday in Santa Fe, NM (Cerrillos Rd.) They has a plethora of wolf 9mm and winchester 45acp!! Im not looking for 9 or 45 at the moment but that made me happy. In all my wally world safaris over the last year I have got lucky with 22lr a couple of times.
My suggestion is be friendly with the guy at the sporting goods desk and get him to tell you when they unload the daily truck. That is how I got lucky.
E

Scooter22
November 6, 2013, 05:44 PM
.22 lr and mag ammo has bee showing up in my area since fall. It's spotty on what they get and it doesn't last long. They are enforcing the 3 box/ 1 bulk restriction. Since Sept I've picked up 1) 1K box of Win M-22 lr, 1) Fed 550 bulk, 9) 50rnd box of CCI SV, 8) 50rnd CCI Maximag JHP, and today 6) 50rnd Win mag Dynapoints. So I replenished/gained a little from what my son and I shot over the summer when nothing was around. Best thing is the prices are prety much the same. The Fed went from 19.00 to 22.00. I'm on the road so i hit the local Wmarts on my lunch. Just keep looking.

hammerklavier
November 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
I just picked up 300 rounds of win superx 22. Thanks to ammo-can.net for making me aware.

rhinoh
November 8, 2013, 06:09 AM
They are enforcing the 3 box/ 1 bulk restriction.

Does that Walmart "restriction" have any basis in corporate policy? I have one WalMart I frequent enforcing the 1 bulk box limit, but others nearby don't. They are 3 box limit regardless of box size.
The store that has a one bulk limit has absolutely no signage posted stating ANY limits, where all others I have visited, and there are many, have posted the 3 box limit.
A clerk at the "one bulk box" limit store stated he is tired of arguing with people about their limits..well, DUH, post the policy and that might hold down the complaints!

Willie Sutton
November 8, 2013, 09:07 AM
"I watched one season (fast forward) of one of the "preppers" shows yesterday. The common theme among them was lots of ammo. One individual claimed to have over 2 million rounds of various calibers"

There's a finite number of kooks with a finite number of dollars. The ammunition makers managed to out-manufacture Japan and Germany in 1945, I'm sure that they can manage to out-manufacture the kooks in the long run... ;-)

It's coming back. Give it six months more and there will be pallets loads for sale.

Willie

jrdolall
November 8, 2013, 09:53 AM
My local Walmarts haven't had any 22 since last December but I've been able to pick up all my other ammo needs on a fairly regular basis. They have a 3 box limit but a guy the other day let me have all the Tula 7.62x39 that I wanted because it isn't selling. At $5.17 it came to $.28 per round so I bought 20 boxes.

hammerklavier
November 8, 2013, 10:14 AM
Second day I scored 22 at this walmart. This time fed match 325 round boxes. They had 4 so I split it with another guy looking for ammo. Again it was ammo-can.net that helped.

Mike1234567
November 8, 2013, 10:35 AM
Back before the ammo shortage was bad (years ago) I used to frequent three or four Walmart stores here and bought as much ammo as I could afford. They had limits then too but the sales staff were usually allowed to ignore them. Also, if the limit was enforced, I'd buy as many as they'd allow then continue shopping. I'd stroll by the ammo counter on my way out and if a different person was there then I'd buy more. Lastly, the limits here were "per caliber" so I could buy three boxes of as many different calibers as I wanted. Those were the days.

PabloJ
November 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
about 15 boxes of remmington 22 lr at the Olean ,NY Walmart and no lines or interested buyers. $4.99 a box. I didnt buy any but just looked and was hoping that maybe the tide has turned.
They stopped carrying my beloved Old Croc cheese at local store. Screw them.

Scooter22
November 9, 2013, 04:53 PM
Does that Walmart "restriction" have any basis in corporate policy? I have one WalMart I frequent enforcing the 1 bulk box limit, but others nearby don't. They are 3 box limit regardless of box size.
The store that has a one bulk limit has absolutely no signage posted stating ANY limits, where all others I have visited, and there are many, have posted the 3 box limit.
A clerk at the "one bulk box" limit store stated he is tired of arguing with people about their limits..well, DUH, post the policy and that might hold down the complaints!
All of the Walmarts I stop at, which is in about a 200 mile area, has that restriction printed and posted on the ammo cabinet glass. Thats fine with me as long as we have the shortage. They had about 15-20 boxes of Stingers @ 6.99 yesterday but I don't use them. No .22 ammo today. This was at my closest Walmart. Other CF ammo thats been short is filling in.(.380, 9mm, .45, .223). But 30-30. .308. 30-06, 38/357, .44 I'm not seeing much of.

SC Shooter
November 9, 2013, 05:56 PM
I am not convinced it's the hoarders, so much asthe fact that more people have started shooting .22s at the ranges. As shooting is becoming more popular, people are thinking about cost. .22 guns are cheaper and so is the ammo. Whenever I go to my range these days I seem to be ankle deep in .22 brass. Oh well, just a thought and observation.

Stress_Test
November 9, 2013, 08:47 PM
Went shooting at the local store and range this morning.

They had a couple of standard CCI and Remington Thunderbolt 500 rd boxes for something close to 50 dollars!

No freakin way.

I still had a nearly full 500 rd box of Federal that I bought nearly a year ago pre-panic for about 26 dollars. I shot my Ruger Single Six and didn't make much of a dent in that box of ammo. :D

I did buy two of Fiocci's "Canned Heat" 100rd packs of 9mm for about 30 dollars each, which is less than the last time I bought bulk 9mm there.

All I can say is that I hope those .22LR profiteers who are "flipping" ammo end up having to pour milk on those rounds and eat them as breakfast cereal real soon!

skoro
November 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
The local Walmarts here haven't had any on the shelves for 11 months.

zxcvbob
November 10, 2013, 03:25 PM
The local Walmarts here haven't had any on the shelves for 11 months.

I think the operative word there is "shelves". The local Walmart says they are getting some in, and they have a 3-box limit posted... but that doesn't do any good if the employees never put it out and just sell out of the stockroom to their buddies.

I don't know that they are doing that, but I'm pretty suspicious.

I don't need any .22LR right now; I have enough to last me a year or two. But I'll need to buy some eventually. I think Fleet Farm will start stocking it before Walmart does. And maybe Cabela's, but they're an hour away.

Mike1234567
November 10, 2013, 04:36 PM
I suspect that the manufacturers have discovered that they can sell ammo at double the prices they were a couple years ago. Me thinks they will definitely raise there prices permanently... because they can. Wouldn't most of us?

Mike1234567
November 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
I think the operative word there is "shelves". The local Walmart says they are getting some in, and they have a 3-box limit posted... but that doesn't do any good if the employees never put it out and just sell out of the stockroom to their buddies.

I don't know that they are doing that, but I'm pretty suspicious.

I don't need any .22LR right now; I have enough to last me a year or two. But I'll need to buy some eventually. I think Fleet Farm will start stocking it before Walmart does. And maybe Cabela's, but they're an hour away.

Nahh... really??:eek::D

csa77
November 10, 2013, 06:02 PM
I check the walmart app every day, I haven't seen 22lr in stock for over 3 months. in fact this entire year Iv only found 22lr at walmart 3 times. 2 of the times its was 50 round cci boxes.

at this point I am more then happy to buy bulk boxes out of the local paper for 50$ a piece. hes probably the manager at my local walmart:( but its stilll alot cheaper then paying 8-9$ for 50 rounds at my local ranges

ammo can.net is horribly wrong for my local walmarts, doesnt matter what caliber I pick.

walmarts app is what i still use but even that im not sure is 100% accurate.
sometimes youll go over a week with out 45 or 9mm being in stock? that between 3 different walmarts

Mike1234567
November 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
So... my local pawn shop (40-80 mile round trip from any big box store) offering to buy my .22LR for $35 per 400rd brick isn't a good deal for me??

horsemen61
November 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
Ahh yes the famous Walmart app that is never wrong oh wait it is several times. I want to say thank you to all you fine folks who sit at you computer and whine and complain that Walmart is hoarding all of the ammo to ourselves and that we just sell it to each other :fire: :cuss: thanks for coming in to my place of business and acting like a toddler throwing a fit when we say we don't have any .22 "But the app says" that's great but when we don't have it we don't true story do you really think that Walmart is going to hoard ammo to not make money by selling to the public :confused: Also compare Walmart's ammo prices to anyone else at this point I wish they would just charge 55 dollars a brick like a lot of other retailers/Individuals have :banghead: SO I wanna say thank you for this I wish I could come to your profession and harass you over something you can't control!!! But a stupid app says why you have 5 cases of .22 :fire:

Mike1234567
November 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
What do you expect us to think, crybaby? :D

horsemen61
November 10, 2013, 07:12 PM
Mike I hear you guys I understand your situation all to well I am in the same boat I just felt like my side of the story deserves to be heard and this has been a long time coming

Mike1234567
November 10, 2013, 07:26 PM
Awe heck... I'm just razzin' ya' horseman.;) You must admit that there is at least "some" reason for suspicion in at least "some" instances though.

Al Thompson
November 10, 2013, 07:52 PM
Looks like this one is done.

If you enjoyed reading about "22 ammo at Walmart" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!