Flap holster for Safety Hammerless?

PDA

AethelstanAegen
October 27, 2013, 02:24 PM
I have a S&W Safety Hammerless and I really like that little revolver. I was wondering if anyone knew a source for a leather flap holster for that gun. I figure they must be fairly rare since I don't think many people use their Safety Hammerless guns anymore. I'd like to be able to carry the thing (it works a charm on small critters) while out camping but I'd like to have it fairly protected (thus the flap style holster); it is after all 115 years old, so I think I ought to keep it protected from brush, etc. I know El Paso saddlery makes a nice flap holster but I assumed that was for larger revolvers, rather expensive and I don't particularly want to wait that long.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flap holster for Safety Hammerless?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
October 27, 2013, 06:32 PM
Because no one makes a holster for your revolver, it's probably going to have to be a semi-custom job.
El Paso Saddlery will make their holsters to fit any gun, but may have problems getting as good a fit on your old S&W.

CWL
October 27, 2013, 11:28 PM
Pacific Canvass & Leather makes old military flap holsters that you may want to take a look at. They make holsters from cowhide & canvass for $35-40 that are primarily used by re-enactors but which should serve your purpose. Maybe you can use a military-style .38 flap holster for your ol' pistol.
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/

AethelstanAegen
October 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/

Thanks for that link, CWL! It looks like they've got some great stuff on there. Even if I don't end up getting a holster from them (I'll email them about fit questions), I may be getting some other stuff. Many thanks!

el indio
November 1, 2013, 03:09 PM
Is the hammerless built on a j-frame? f so ,i can make you a flap holster for it. I had a request to make one for a k-frame. The price will be reasonable. PM if interested

rcmodel
November 1, 2013, 03:12 PM
Not a J-Frame, or anything else current that size.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/smith-wesson-safety-hammerless-2nd-model-32-s-w-caliber-revolver-pr11615/#.UnP9D_Mo7cw

rc

AethelstanAegen
November 2, 2013, 01:08 AM
Not a J-Frame, or anything else current that size.

That said, it does currently ride around in a pancake holster designed for a J-frame and it fits pretty well so it might just work.

Old Fuff
November 3, 2013, 01:00 PM
Actually a fair number of both .32 and .38 Safety Hammerless revolvers were carried around in full-flap holsters, "back when." This was especially so with those made in 4, 5, and 6 inch barrel lengths.

Should you get lucky, a holster made for a S&W 1903 .32 or .38 Hand Ejector revolver works pretty well. I have found them at gun shows in some exhibitor's junk holsters box for as little as $5.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flap holster for Safety Hammerless?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!