Keltec 380

PDA

telewinz
March 26, 2004, 06:08 AM
Going to gunshow tomorrow and I'm thinking of buying the AT380 for Ohio CCW which begins 4/8. If you own one what do you think about it and what brand of ammo do you use? Hip pocket carry, reliability and accuracy most important.

If you enjoyed reading about "Keltec 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
repsychler
March 26, 2004, 07:19 AM
I like mine. Not a great pleasure to shoot, but you can absolutely forget you're carrying it. I had some minor reliabiity issues but a little fluff and buff with a dremel and everything's going great. Right now I believe mine is loaded with american eagle FMJ ammo.

azrael
March 26, 2004, 08:49 AM
P3AT's are not a fun gun to blast with at the range...that being said...it is also one of those weapons that you can forget you are carrying...

I carry mine in my LH rear pocket most of the time and find it comfortable..

Accuracy is fine...Pie plate at 7 yards..

Realiable=100% after I had gunsmith put the love on it (I didnt fire it before I took it to the gunsmith...it's just a habit that i have)

Loaded with Cor-bon 90's right now...soon to be powerball when it's available..

My.o2cents

Whole Hog
March 26, 2004, 10:45 AM
I'm trying to like mine, but it's hard. I had to send it back to the factory three times to get it to feed, fire, and extract reliably. But it does now, for almost 200 rounds, so maybe it's really fixed. I use Spanish Santa Barbara and CorBon ammunition. I also installed an AGrip over a Hogue Handall, and that's made a world of difference in controllability and shooting comfort.

Scott

flatrock
March 26, 2004, 10:47 AM
I bought one for concealed carry in OH too. The one thing you need to know about shooting the P3AT is that it will have a lot of muzzle flip. You need to try and keep your wrist locked. If you don't you'll find that it can sometimes send the ejected casing flying into your forehead. Limp wristing will also cause the P3AT to sometimes fail to eject.

Once I'd shot a box of ammo through it to break it in, and learned to keep my wrist from flexing too much with the recoil, the gun has functioned perfectly.

The P3AT also has a very long trigger pull like a DA revolver. It took me a little getting used to, but since there's no manual safety a long trigger pull is important.

The ktrange is an excelent sight for more info on the P3AT.

www.ktrange.com

tiberius
March 26, 2004, 12:19 PM
I love mine. 600+ trouble free rounds through it. I currently carry Speer Gold Dots. Lots of people also report good results with Cor Bon and Remington Golden Sabre. Mine now feeds all of these with complete reliability, but I did have to polish my feed ramp some when I first bought my pistol last July.

I currently carry front or rear pocket with and trimmed and hemmed UM#2 pocket holster, but I have ordered a rear pocket Oblivion from Azrael that I expect to receive today or tomorrow….I’ll give a full report after I use it a while.

As I just said in another thread, The P-3AT is currently in a class by itself as a true pocket pistol.

Also, I highly recommend that you apply some sand paper to the face of the trigger as the raised parting lines (from the injection molding process) are sharp and uncomfortable.

Ankeny
March 26, 2004, 01:05 PM
I have one too. I bought it for those rare occasions when I can't carry a full size pistol. The pistol would never be a first choice for CCW, but it runs and it beats throwing rocks.

DDGator
March 26, 2004, 02:56 PM
I have one of the first ones released to the public. It is a great pistol for me. Never had a stoppage and more accurate than it should be for its size.

Its the perfect gun for pocket carry -- which is a great way to carry a CCW piece.

Like Azrael, we make holsters too. The majority of what we sell is for the P-3AT and P-32.

www.KDHolsters.com

Duane
Sales@KDHolsters.com

Remander
March 26, 2004, 11:45 PM
Mine is loaded with Winchester Silvertips. I have also shot lots of solid ammo. I like it for $240 I paid.

I echo above comments to not limp wrist it or you'll get brass in face. Use eye protection for practice.

The takedown pin often "walks" out during firing and can lead to damage if you fire it after it walks too far. Either grind a groove as suggested by this site by yzguy (http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm) or watch it during practice sessions.

I did a poor man's fluff and buff with extra-fine steel wool, and it helped it feed better.

Not perfect, but that baby slips in the pocket when nothing else fits.

Get it, try it. If you hate it, sell it. They are very popular now, so you can get most of your $$ back.

Mr. Mysterious
March 27, 2004, 12:07 AM
I echo above comments to not limp wrist it or you'll get brass in face. Use eye protection for practice.

That should always be worn if you are shooting....they can patch up holes in your body...but you only have one set of eyes.

wardog
March 27, 2004, 01:00 AM
It's good. Do the "fluff and buff" as prescribed by http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm

Mine's been 100% reliable so far (about 300 rounds). I find it pretty easy to hit with considering it really doesn't have sights. Incredibly small and light.

GigaBuist
March 27, 2004, 02:57 AM
I'm getting failures to eject with mine. I've had it for almost two months now but it's only eaten 130 rounds.

The first 115 went okay. Two failures to eject with PMC ammo.

The next time out (a week later) it was failing every other round with American Eagle ammo. I was certainly NOT limp writing this thing either. I had a death grip on it to make sure I was eliminating that possibility.

Did some research on KTOG and called KT up -- they're sending a new extractor over. It's been over a week so I'm hoping it'll be here PDQ.

The muzzle flip combined with my natural grip causes me to bleed on the webbing of my hand after a while. So, it's not a range gun by any means. I don't think anybody has ever bought one though thinking, "Oh, fun plinker!" If they have they probably dress like The Gimp from Pulp Fiction on the weekends.

Nice and small of course. It's OAL is about the same as i60 cellphone. Heck I've carried knives that were bulkier than this.

kokapelli
March 27, 2004, 10:33 AM
I don't know why there are so many complaints about muzzle flit and re-coil on this pistol! I have two P-3ATs and shoot one or the other every week. For some reason I really enjoy shooting this little pistol. It is very accurate at defensive ranges and I am able to shoot it very rapidly. I have never had any skin damage on my hand from it, but in reguard to re-coil, I do agree that about 75 rounds is enough for one session! As far as reliability, I did have a couple of issues with the first early production pistol, but since that has been corrected by KT, both have been 100% reliable. My carry ammo is Gold Dot. My practice ammo is anything but Wolf.
The P-3AT is the perfect CCW pistol for this hot Arizona climate.

larry408
March 27, 2004, 09:34 PM
My wife wanted to go to the Penny"s Door Buster Sale this morning. While she was trying on clothes I walked around the Men's Dept. They had Arizona Zip-Off Cargo Jeans on sale for $10.00. I bought a pair to try. There is a zipper beside the right front pocket. It opens a small pocket behind the front pocket. After I returned home I unzipped it and tried my P3AT in it. It is a perfect fit for the P32 and P3AT. You can not tell that it is in the pocket. I will be getting more in different colors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Keltec 380" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!