10mm or .460 Rowland

PDA

Hometeached1
October 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
Hi all, I just bought a LNIB Glock 30SF (at a really good deal!) and thinking of getting either a storm lake .45 to 10mm barrel, or a .460 Rowland conversion for it. Now the main reason for this is I live in the sticks and see deer sometimes a round the place as I'm doing chores, and would like to be able to take a white tail if I see one. I know a 3.78" barrel is not the best length for hunting, but money is tight, so trying to make do. I also have a Marlin 336 , but I don't feel comfortable sitting it beside a tree while I do chores. Thank you for your advice.

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm or .460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
October 28, 2013, 04:28 PM
If a white-tail is in your yard, and close enough that you can precisely place your shot with a handgun, why would a .45ACP not kill it perfectly cleanly (assuming, of course, that your state's laws allow shooting a deer with a .45ACP handgun)?

If money's tight, use what you have. A .45ACP will kill a deer about as dead as you could possibly want.

hardluk1
October 28, 2013, 04:55 PM
Just set it up for 45 super and that allows you to still shoot any 45 load with maybe only a recoil spring change. But sams right . I regular +P load would do the job if you can place a round accurately.

tommy.duncan
October 28, 2013, 09:45 PM
I agree with SAM1911. A 45acp with a nice shot placement will drop a deer. I have several pistols in 10mm and this caliber will work fine too. If money is tight don't waste the cash on a barrel you don't need.

Hometeached1
October 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't know you could take white tails with a short barrel .45acp. Would a 230gr HST be good, or more a long the lines of 185gr+p HP. Also would ya'll aim for just the head (not damage any meat), or would vitals be OK.
Thank for your advise, and saving me at least $160!

Sam1911
October 29, 2013, 12:56 PM
Well, if a .45ACP will kill a man, it will for sure kill a deer.

Are you even close to good enough with your pistol to hit a deer in the head at "across the yard" distances? I shoot quite a bit and I don't think that would be my first choice.

Putting one through the heart would be my choice. A little more leeway on a lethal hit.

Hometeached1
October 29, 2013, 01:59 PM
No, I could not reliably hit a deer's head past seven yds off hand, just was making sure about what to aim at. Most of what I read said .357 mag/10mm and up for hunting large game. I figured .45acp could kill a white tail, but didn't know how reliably it would put one down, like people can be killed with with a .22LR but most people don't advocate carrying one for SD. Thanks for the advise.

ldlfh7
October 29, 2013, 02:00 PM
Should work fine but I would be using the Marlin 336 for sure.

gspn
October 29, 2013, 09:44 PM
First...I would not aim for the head. It's the smallest target and it's on the most mobile part of the deer...it's moving around a lot...and if you miss the very small part you need to hit then you stand a very good chance of blowing part of it's face off...leaving it to suffer a slow death or a long painful life. I have seen deer missing lower jaws walking through the woods...I assure you it's not a pretty sight. I would take the highest odds shot of delivering a humane kill...a double lung shot.

The .45 is not likely to leave you an exit wound...therefore no blood trail. That may or may not be an issue for you depending on where you are hunting...but know that it's likely to leave only one hole.

Draw a 6 inch circle on a pie plate and practice shooting that. Then envision that pie plate on the deer centered on the crease that separates his shoulder from his rib cage. Punch your shot in that crease and you're money good. It will puncture it's lungs and it won't go too far.

If you hit the shoulder...there's a chance that .45 won't make it through to the vitals. I've shot one deer with a .45 to finish it off and I wasn't impressed with the penetration I got.

Your 336 is a much better choice between the guns you have.

Hometeached1
November 3, 2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the advise. I really like this forum and the broad range of people, as well as the wealth of knowledge that's here.

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm or .460 Rowland" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!