Galco SSS Gen 2

PDA

JN01
October 28, 2013, 06:47 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Galco Gen 2 Side Snap Scabbard? Does it keep the gun tight to the body?

If you enjoyed reading about "Galco SSS Gen 2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
October 28, 2013, 10:28 PM
The original SSS was a pretty faithful copy of the Alessi CQC/S and held the gun pretty close to the body.

The Gen2 added reinforcement around the mouth, which I really like, but then they reduced the cant of the holster which negates the original intent of balancing butt heavy guns. I don't see the changes as positively affecting the holsters ability to conceal a heavy pistol.

How tightly it would carry a gun to the body will be somewhat dependent on the length of the slide and butt

JN01
October 29, 2013, 04:07 PM
I noticed the difference in angle between the Gen 1 (which they still sell) and the Gen 2, but didn't think it was a huge change, going by the pictures. I guess it might feel different when wearing them.

I was drawn more toward the Gen 2 because of the reinforced mouth and the sweat guard.

The gun doesn't seem to ride particularly high on either of them. I'm thinking a full size 1911 should be fairly stable in them.

9mmepiphany
October 29, 2013, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing I looked at the same pictures and it seems like quite a change.

I'm sure I'm a bit bias, as the original design angle of carry was the reason for the wide spread ears/belt attachments. If you want to carry it vertically, you'd be just as well served by a vertical scabbard like the Milt Sparks 55BN (in the middle)

https://home.comcast.net/~leonardsa/OWB.jpg

JN01
October 29, 2013, 06:54 PM
I guess I omitted the main reason I considered the design in the first place- the ability to easily snap it on and off the belt.

9mmepiphany
October 29, 2013, 09:47 PM
Milt Sparks Axiom

http://www.fototime.com/F502CBA4BF7B0CC/standard.jpg

JN01
October 30, 2013, 04:10 PM
Now that, I like!

If you enjoyed reading about "Galco SSS Gen 2" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!