New twist on SHTF/Zombie scenario - Australia-approved weapons?

PDA

threeseven
March 26, 2004, 07:29 AM
It's recently become of great concern to myself that I have made nearly no attempts to prepare myself for a potential zombie outbreak. Now while we've all seen countless arguments over whether the AR-15 or Mossberg or 10/22 etc. would be a better choice for zombie warfare, but what about Australia? Our 'unique' gun laws prevent us from employing the old standards of anti-zombie weaponry!

So, what would you suggest for the discerning, prepared Australian? I have listed the criteria below:

Rifles

Bolt, lever, pump and break-actions only - NO SEMI-AUTOS
.50 calibre and above not available
10-round magazine limit
Shotguns/Combinations

Bolt, lever and break-actions only - NO PUMP-ACTIONS
Any type (side-by-side, over/under) allowed
Handguns

Nothing above 9mm allowed
Fairly rare compared to rifles and shotguns
10-round magazine limit
Blunt/Bladed/Melee

Swords have the potential to be banned soon
Knives of any kind are still fine, as are most blunt weapons
Now I realise gun laws mean little when hordes of living dead are roaming the city, but for the purposes of this exercise we'll assume these restrictions will still apply. Lets face it - it's still hard to get an automatic weapon in Australia at short notice, even if you don't care about the law.

I figure a good setup for myself would consist of the following:

Fortified House
Not too sure how to go about this, but I'm thinking minimal/plexiglass windows and very solid doors/walls. 2 stories, with only a gentle slope on the roof. Roof-edging designed specifically for use as a rifle/beer rest. I have no idea how much it would cost to make the entire roof out of solar panels, but I feel this is a neccessity. There's no point lying up on the roof with a rifle picking off zombies in the distance if I can't drink cold beer and listen to hits of the 60s while I do it.

Weapons
I have no pistol license, for the purposes of this exercise I will imagine that I do. In which case, I would use some kind of .357 revolver. Someone feel free to recommend a specific brand/model, I know nothing of revolvers. Maybe something with a seven or eight round capacity? Do they make revolvers with a swing-out cylinder that can also be topped up with the cylinder closed, SAA style? I'd have a few of the revolvers. I would choose some kind of lever-action .44, maybe a Marlin or something similar. Iron sights or some kind of low-power optics with backup irons. NO BATTERY POWERED OPTICS, for obvious reasons. As far as bolt-actions go, something in a fairly high but common calibre (.308 or something), reliable and accurate. Maybe a Remington 700, but my first choice would be a .303 SMLE with original WW2-issue optics, but ammo may be a concern. I would have optics on it, but nothing insane, something offering me a range out to 200 metres or so, a little more if need be. Now, shotguns - I would probably only have one shotgun, a double-barrel with the shortest barrels legal (I'd chop another few inches off when the SHTF) as a last-ditch final defence weapon, along with the revolver. What is the best shotgun load for zombies, you think? Some slugs, too. I'd also have 4-5 machetes and baseball bats. The bayonet for the SMLE, too, of course. With the SMLE connected to it.

Food/Water/Ammunition Stores
As much as I could possibly fit in a garage. Hopefully around 5 years worth of food, water is a bigger concern, maybe tanks underneath the house and strict water-rationing would help me there. Rain water tanks on the roof too, obviously. All tinned foods like SPAM and chunky chilli beef :D along with other long-life stuff like noodles. This will obviously be the number one concern. I would have to have maybe 10,000 rounds for each of the rifles, around 500 for the shotgun/s, maybe 1000 for the revolvers.

Now while I realise that most people think zombies are not a real threat (they will die with the rest of the fools, I predict) these sort of preparations would hold you in good stead for almost any kind of SHTF emergency. Any thoughts on what you'd use when the SHTF if you were relegated to slave's weapons rights?

If you enjoyed reading about "New twist on SHTF/Zombie scenario - Australia-approved weapons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryder
March 26, 2004, 07:36 AM
Moltov Cocktails have a reputation for being pretty effective.

DragonRider
March 26, 2004, 07:39 AM
Air compressor and ball bearings. Hook it up to some solar panels for your batteries and you could go for awhile. Dual Purpose is the name of the game. You would also be able to power your nail gun

John

Tamara
March 26, 2004, 07:55 AM
Swords and semiautos may be banned, but chainsaws and side-by-sides are still legal, right?

Hail to the king, baby. :D

cracked butt
March 26, 2004, 07:56 AM
A redhead, Blonde, and brunette so you can work hard at doing your patriotic duty of repopulating your continent wehn its safe to go outside again.:D

Mulliga
March 26, 2004, 08:01 AM
Now are we talking "Dawn" remake/28DL super zombies that can run, or regular old Romero-type zombies that shamble?

If super zombies, then say your prayers, because you ain't getting out alive.

If Romero zombies, a .22 bolt action repeater and an elevated position.

threeseven
March 26, 2004, 08:06 AM
We're talking old-school, shambling, Solanum Virus zombies.

I refuse to believe the concept behind the new generation of zombies, I'm convinced a virus using a human body as a host cannot push the host past it's own physical boundaries.

Plus, ever tried running with rotting legs?

cracked butt: Hey I like that idea a lot. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter :cool:

EDIT: Hell, I'd settle for just a redhead if there's a shortage.

EDIT 2: I hope my blonde girlfriend doesn't read this :uhoh:

jercamp45
March 26, 2004, 08:25 AM
A Chainsaw and side by side may be alright for Bruce....but,,,,,,,
I'll take a Styer Scout and many ten round mags, with a jungle carbine .303 close behind(stripper clips, bulk ammo cased in garage).
.22 rifle, manually operated, lots of ammo for Zombie recreational plinking.
Binos and spotting scope: to locate the zombied politicians that signed the gun laws for plinking pleasure.
Pistols: Colt 1911 .38 Super or 9m/m....lotsa mags, ammo, 2 if allowed by the silly laws
A pair of 'coach' side by sides and ALOT of 12 gauge ammo(some to shoot, some to make booby(I mean Zombie) traps.
Materials for Improvised Explosive/Incendiary Devices.
Large quality blade. Ilike a bowie. But you chose yours.
Reinforced, secure 'hide', house, base camp with all the emergency food, water, fuel, doodads, etc..
Alot of prayers, if you have little of the above, especially the secure house.
Number One way to deal with Zombies....Be Elsewhere! Number two: stay inside a secure environment
PS Gotta stay alive to procreate!!
Do not know of any revolver with a gate on a swingout....shoot two, swing out cylinder, load two...keep the cylinder full for when you need it. If you can have a 2nd, a New York Reload might come in real handy.
Shotgun ammo: O buck should do fine, but any size would mess up a zombies head, even birdshot would alter its ability to bite.
Really does not matter, if the scenerio happens..we are all in deep trouble.
Jercamp45

MikeB
March 26, 2004, 10:40 AM
Since these are the original shambling style zombies, even Australia approved weapons would probably be effective. Figure a pair of .357 mag revolvers, a Jungle carbine in .303 or .308, although you might actually want to go with the fullsize enfield as accuracy is much better, and at least one side by side 12 guage.

Of course the real solution here is to ban zombies; that way we won't have to worry about them right.

Tamara
March 26, 2004, 10:42 AM
Of course the real solution here is to ban zombies; that way we won't have to worry about them right.

Now THAT was funny! :D

pwrtool45
March 26, 2004, 11:59 AM
Flowers. Zombies love flowers.

Or, wait, no, that's bullets. Flowers are for the gi...AIEEEE!!! OOOWW OWW!! LEGGO!!! OAAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAGGGGGHGHH!!!!

*croak*

*moan*

*shamble*

Actually, zombies don't seem to be very bright. Why not just use some form of movable concealment and walk out?

G21dude
March 26, 2004, 12:35 PM
Seeing as how my zombie detector registered postive when I aimed it at your town from space, I have taken the libery of shipping the following items, disguised as beanie babies. When they arrive, soak them in soggy oatmeal and they will reconsitute themselves...

1. An HK MP5/10 with can suppressor and S-E-F trigger group for close in work (plus several crates of 10mm +P ammo that I developed for antizombie ops)
2. A tow missile launcher with mounting hardware for your roof for zombies in "technicals"
3. A crate of mixed fragmentation and thermite grenades just for fun
4. An M4-SOPMOD with a kit of goodies including an M203, IR optics, etc.
5. A WWII issue flamethrower, 'cuz it would look cool in a movie to torch a load of shamblers.

Let me know when it arrives.

c_yeager
March 26, 2004, 01:59 PM
Im thinking for a rifle your best bet would be a nce lever action in say 357/38 or 44mag/44spec. This offers the highest capacity your likely to get in Australia, the fastest action available, and the ablility to topoff the weapon quickly when you get a chance. I would probably add a really short 'sawed-off' double barrel shotgun for a backup (you can saw it down AFTER the SHTF). Then get yourself a nice revolver idealy chambered for the same round as your rifle (with the caliber restrictions .38/.357 might be the order of the day).

Oh yeah, and a whole ton of ammo with the ability to make more.

Just to add, melee weapons are going to be of limited use against zombies. The only way you can kill them is to destroy their brain. So aside from decapitation your really just wasting your time trying to kill them with blunt instruments. ALthough for romeroesque zombies i would imagine that a big stick or baseball bat would be of some utility in pushing them away if your looking to get overrun.

zpo
March 26, 2004, 03:05 PM
Its my opinion that rules and laws are no longer a concern in the above circumstance. So, after the police and military have been decimated by politicians and zombies, (theres a difference, right?) raid the armories and take whatever you want. After all, the girls will want to be in the fortified house with the guy who has the mil-spec hardware. (stupid 28 days scenerio not withstanding) The needed toys to stay alive, the women to "do your duty for humanity", what could be better?

Justin
March 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
Oddly enough, the following image from an Australian-made zombie flick should answer this question quite nicely:

http://www.undeadmovie.com/images/Undead%20final%20poster%20low%20rez.jpg

Deadman
March 26, 2004, 06:08 PM
The AIA 7.62x39 Enfield clones can take 30 round AK mags. Fast action and plenty of capacity.

As c_yeager stated a .38/.357 lever rifle would be useful, especially due to the light weight of the ammo.

Wait for Remington to release their .223, AR15 mag, pump rifles.

.22mag pump rifles from Taurus should be of some use.

threeseven, I'm surprised you didn't mention the ute with the 'roo bar. :rolleyes: :p

Hawk
March 26, 2004, 06:15 PM
Figuring I would have to pick up the shottie locally, I found

ThisHere (http://www.potfire.com.au/rlist/ra606464.htm)

So, what's a "Cat "D" licence"?

Dr.Rob
March 26, 2004, 06:16 PM
So you can't have a pistol bigger than 9mm but you can have a 357?

Easy.. get a lever action marlin .357 and two revolvers in the same caliber.

Since they won't LET you have a pump shotgun, get a double and keep a hacksaw handy if the balloon goes up.

Deadman
March 26, 2004, 06:24 PM
So, what's a "Cat "D" licence"?

Modified extract from NSW police website.

CATEGORIES

Licences are categorised into six types of firearms:

Category A

Air and rimfire rifles
Shotguns
Shotgun/rimfire rifle combinations.

Category B

Muzzle-loading and centrefire rifles. (Bolt, pump, lever,rifle/shotgun combination)

Category H

Firearms that apply to this licence category are pistols, including blank-fire and air-pistols.

Category C

Firearms that apply to this licence category are prohibited except for specific purposes. These are longarms that are self-loading. Examples are:

Self-loading rimfire rifles (no more than 10 rounds)
Self-loading or pump action shotguns (no more than 5 rounds).

Category D

Firearms that apply to this licence are prohibited except for specific purposes. These are longarms that are self-loading. Examples are:

Self-loading centrefire rifles
Self-loading rimfire rifles (more than 10 rounds)
Self-loading or pump action shotguns (more than 5 rounds).

Category G

This is a collector’s licence and covers all the above firearms.

six 4 sure
March 27, 2004, 03:30 AM
Since we seem to be talking about the “slow moving” zombies here are my suggestions for close range work (100 yards/meters or less). Get yourself four S&W Mod 10’s (.38) and a Winchester 94 trapper (or two) in .38/.357. Stock up on .38’s. You should be able to fit ten 38’s in a trapper, if not, a little modification of the magazine tube plug and you’ll be in business. I’d try to get one trapper with the large lever loop so you can do the John Wayne twirl thing if you’re injured.

Next, get someone to make you a dual shoulder rig, and then buy a left and right hand holster to wear on your hips. This will give you the “New York Reload” option if you get caught in a pinch. Stock up on speed loaders, if available. One of those fifty round bandoliers might be a good purchase.

Also, I’d get a cheap SXS or two. Don’t need anything fancy here, just functional. Now, make a sheath to carry the SXS on your back.

You now have a rifle, shotgun, and four pistols at your disposal. It might get a bit heavy, but you’ll still have a fair amount of movement and you’re packing a respectable amount of firepower. Don’t mess with .357’s you won’t need the extra power because we’re taking head shots only.

For disposing of targets at ranges longer than 100 yards I’d recommend a mil-surp bolt gun with lots of ammo. If you are fortunate enough to acquire a blonde, brunette, and a red head, I’m going to start rooting for the zombies.:D

six

The_Antibubba
March 27, 2004, 03:46 AM
If Australians are so worried about shambling, cannibalistic zombies, why don't you just stop electing them? :banghead:

IRONFIST
March 27, 2004, 03:55 AM
Since we are talking about Australia, land of the disarmed, I figure the only weapons their goverment would allow for use against zombies are plastic sporks and harsh language. The good citizens of Australia elected the morons who disarmed them... they deserve to be eaten by the walking dead.

threeseven
March 27, 2004, 04:21 AM
IRONFIST: Let's try and be a *little* mature, shall we?

I'm 18 and I'm not responsible for electing anyone in particular, just so you know. So how about you stick to the 'High Road' and stay on topic, or alternatively go somewhere else where your blinding wit is appreciated.

IRONFIST
March 27, 2004, 05:59 AM
You can keep your advice me boyo, its not needed by me. I post where I like, and when I choose. (happy game show music suddenly fills your ears)... I must say though, we are so sorry that you didn't win anything on this episode of "The Sarcastic Arsehole Yank" show, but because you have been such a wonderful contestant, we would like to give this lovely parting gift, a Brand-new and very deadly... spork!, personalized with your own initials! Yes, you too can be as well-armed as every other normal enslaved Australian citizen when the ravenous Zombie army invades Coober Nipple or whatever god-forsaken, Kangaroo Jacked, sun-blasted outback outpost you hail from. Of course, it is your responsibility to get the required national spork inspection sticker, valid ownership affidavit, proof of liabilty insurance and a signature from either the head of your local police force, or whichever drunken yob you find who is still upright and conscious in the filthy sheep shed that your town probably calls a bar. Please be aware that after all of the above requirements are met you must store your spork at the local utensil club or you will be subject to arrest. Now you have a very nice day and thank you again for playing "The Sarcastic Arsehole Yank" show! (loud applause, sound of sheep bleating in terror)... !:neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener: :neener:

pwrtool45
March 27, 2004, 08:53 AM
That wasn't very nice.

The Real Hawkeye
March 27, 2004, 10:18 AM
How about a titanium shark suit top and gauntlets (probably don't need the bottoms, as that would make the outfit too heavy). Combine that with a good riot police helmet with face shield and a good military quality machete or two. Running shoes would be a good idea.

pax
March 27, 2004, 11:41 AM
Temporarily closed.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "New twist on SHTF/Zombie scenario - Australia-approved weapons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!