Pardon Me While I Rant

PDA

Trunk Monkey
October 30, 2013, 08:30 AM
OK Iím going to unload a pet peeve, thereís a thread in S&T right now where the OP is specifically soliciting opinions from people that do not rotate their carry gun. Heís asked that only people that fit this criterion respond and thereís half a dozen people jumping in talking about how many different guns they carry.

If the OP says he doesnít want your input please donít put in your two cents

Ok you can lock this now

If you enjoyed reading about "Pardon Me While I Rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkansas Paul
October 30, 2013, 09:32 AM
It annoys me too, but that's the chance you take when you post on a public forum.

It happens a lot though. For instance someone will ask if there is any real world difference between a .300 Win Mag and a 7mm Rem Mag as far as on game performance. Every other post will be about how you don't need a magnum and they're a waste etc.

Or someone will ask if they should get a 7-08 or a .243 and there will be 5 replies saying to get a 6.5x55.

Stuff like that happens a lot and you're right, its annoying.

bainter1212
October 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
Yup.

I just started a thread asking for a list of powders capable of being used for .45acp in case your favorite powders were not in stock.

It quickly turned into a "this is my favorite powder" or "you should use this powder" thread.

I sincerely believe that lots of folks read the title and don't bother to read the original post.......

That or their reading comprehension is a bit rusty.

bikerdoc
October 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
I can only sympathize and encourage members to use the report button. Mods cant read every post in every thread but we do get a message on reported threads and act accordingly by redirecting, deleting, warning, and infracting as appropriate.

Fred Fuller
October 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
thereís a thread in S&T right now where the OP is specifically soliciting opinions from people that do not rotate their carry gun.

ST&T is my bailiwick, and I don't recall seeing the thread, nor do I see any indication that it was moved etc. Can you provide a link to the thread here, please?

Sam1911
October 30, 2013, 11:00 AM
Seems kind of like a real conversation with a real person out in "meat space." Folks like to compare things to other things they know more about, and share their experiences.

Many times someone will look at a question, especially an "either/or" question, and see it as an opportunity to help someone by offering a view they hadn't considered which (in their opinion) is superior to either option currently being debated.

"I'm going to buy a new rifle and I'm looking at either .300 Win Mag or 7mm Mag..." gives you the option of voting for either of those two, but it can't be considered rude for you to suggest that you've had both and found that you prefer something else. If the OP refuses to listen to any other suggestions (and that seems rare, IMHO) then he should come out and say, "Please do not suggest any other cartridges. My priest says I'll burn in eternal fire if I buy anything but a 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag..." (Or whatever your reason is for being so specific.)

All that to say, try to be as patient as possible with other folks. A lot of the most interesting things I've ever learned were in discursions, hijacks, side trips and mental wanderings not really directly related to what I set out to learn.

Trunk Monkey
October 30, 2013, 11:13 AM
ST&T is my bailiwick, and I don't recall seeing the thread, nor do I see any indication that it was moved etc. Can you provide a link to the thread here, please

My Bad it was in handguns autoloaders I'll get the link

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9179301

FWIW Please be aware that this thread is a rant, I am aware that my complaint might not be legitimate it just happens to be something that annoys me as when some one starts a thread asking what would be a good revolver for a given application and the first response is 'Get a Glock."

JShirley
October 30, 2013, 01:50 PM
You're right, that is annoying.

9mmepiphany
October 30, 2013, 02:59 PM
Well, Auto loaders is my beat and I remember looking at the thread not that long ago.

I looked again and deleted 4 of the 29 post for being non-responsive to the OP...86% staying on track isn't too bad

I'll note that while there are other post that mention another gun that they have carried, the focus of their post was to address the OP's question of "Why only one and why that one?"...at least as I read it.

1KPerDay
October 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
Welcome to the internet. If thread drift/unrelated posts are your only problem you're doing pretty well.

Fred Fuller
October 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
My Bad it was in handguns autoloaders

Thanks. At least my eyes aren't getting worse :D

As to OT (off topic) comments on a thread, it happens. Sometimes I wonder if some of the people who are adding a post to a thread actually read the OP to begin with. I/we dump so many OT posts in ST&T I added a 'sticky' to explain to people what happened to their missing posts.

Your complaint is legitimate, but expecting some people to do anything different from what they do is contrary to human nature. :D What Doc said about the 'report post' button definitely applies.

Walkalong
October 30, 2013, 10:22 PM
And sometimes we just don't read the OP all the way through. Whoops.

Nothing to get ones knickers in a knot over if the OP isn't bothered by it. :)

TimboKhan
November 1, 2013, 01:59 AM
Autoloader is my bailiwick as well, and to be honest with you I glossed over that thread because I didn't think it was that badly drifted. Like 9mmepiphany said, 86% non-drift isn't bad in a thread like that. El Godfather has never seemed to mind a little drift in his threads that I can recall, so like I said, I just sort of glossed over it.

stressed
November 1, 2013, 02:21 AM
That's why we love the 1st amendment. They can say whatever they want.

Field Tester
November 1, 2013, 03:03 AM
Uh, had a full post deleted!

I'm with you on this. Its aggravating to ask a thread and ask for specific information or be looking for specific information and somebody drifts from the thread and offers their own opinion. Case in point when you're asking for information on group of firearms and you specifically say you don't want one time firearms and yet 2 or 3 post later it's listed.

On the flip side of that, I have also learned quite a bit from thread drifts but when you are looking for that specific bit of information it can be quite annoying.

I've actually wanted to make this thread a few times myself. However I'm not about to flag a post just because someone was trying to be helpful in their mind.

It's the nature of the beast I guess. In my mind it brings more good than bad but you're right it can be very annoying.

I apologize for any grammatical errors I just tried to speech option on my phone for the first time this is pretty cool.

TimboKhan
November 2, 2013, 12:41 AM
That being helpful in their mind comment is pretty spot on. Most thread drift occurs from a perspective of being helpful. Not all, but most.

hso
November 7, 2013, 04:48 PM
They can say whatever they want.

No, not on a private site where they've agreed to the rules and obligations to become a member and post. Remember we have have a contract to abide by in using THR and while we can't post an exhaustive list of do's and don'ts we do expect people to understand coming in or by reading and assimilating into the forum that "civil discourse" means making the effort to help each other out. If someone has something else to contribute than the topic, a considerate, "I have a related but separate point on stocks/barrels/wombats I've started a thread on at www.thehighroad/separaterelatedtopic.php." is a polite way to contribute without stepping on the OP's topic.

A note on FREE SPEECH:

The First Amendment to the Constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The First Amendment is greatly respected here on The High Road, as are all other Amendments that the Second Amendment defends. However, The High Road is private property and requests that members adhere to all forum policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who become members of The High Road. Those who break forum rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue to frequent or start your own board.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pardon Me While I Rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!