first timer..

PDA

trigga
October 30, 2013, 10:35 AM
i have done quite a bit of research on reloading and have come to understand the basic steps of hand loading your own ammo. I have finally decided to give it a try. What I really want is a dillon 650 but as a poor college student working part time, it's kind of out of my budget. I have been looking at other presses, mostly single stage like the lee.

something like the lee challenger kit which comes with the main components.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

what do you guys think? i know eventually i will move to a progressive press but as of now, i won't be doing any major reloading or shooting. i can justify investing $200-300 towards something then upgrading it later... its the hands on experience that I want. Any other presses or kits that is a good deal, please let me know. doing more research and will be buying perhaps monday.

If you enjoyed reading about "first timer.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trigga
October 30, 2013, 10:39 AM
damn the $99 deal ends tomorrow... might have to get it sooner than i think... will be loading mainly .40 sw and .223. later 9mm, 45 acp, 30-06 and 308...

mboe794
October 30, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thats what I started with. And still use. I dont need to reload in high volume or as fast as posible, so I see no need to change..... yet. It makes fine quality ammo.

The powder measure and beam scale are a little chinsy and may require some fiddling, but once set up they have both proven to be accurate and reliable.

I really like the priming system. Takes a bit to get the feel for it, then it works smoothly.

Jesse Heywood
October 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
Every loader needs a single stage press. And it's the best way to hone your skills before moving up to a dillon.

trigga
October 30, 2013, 10:54 AM
what is the difference between the classic and the challenger? removable bushing?

mboe794
October 30, 2013, 11:16 AM
I thought the main difference might be the method of priming between the two. Hand tool for the classic.

cfullgraf
October 30, 2013, 11:44 AM
A single stage is handy to have around. There are some tasks it does better than a progressive, particularly quick, small quantity ones.

Also, in my opinion, it is better to learn reloading on a single stage. Things do not happen so fast and only one thing at a time. Keeps information overload to a minimum.

Except for the press, most of the Lee gear will be useful when you get a progressive. Unless you want to, you do not have to replace the auxiliary gear.

Have fun.

trigga
October 30, 2013, 11:56 AM
yes i have found that the lee dies will fit for the 650 which is a bonus. other than that it sounds like a good start. now i just have to find powder locally.

If you enjoyed reading about "first timer.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!