Elk hunting question

PDA

flipajig
October 30, 2013, 10:11 PM
I live in South east Idaho and I still have a Cow tag in my pocket I think the rut is over with. I went out this afternoon and found 5 head of Bulls in a batchler group 3 in on and 2 in another all within 100 yards of each other. I was able to watched them for almost a hour thinking that there should be some cows in the area but none was seen. Several times I wached a pair rattle there horns together and a cuple times I was able to hear them. I also saw a very fresh rub the juniper tree looked like it was run through a paper shreder.
This is my first year hunting Elk we just moved back from Texas to my home state. I read that Elk are similar to Whitetail and seeing this makes me think that they might be in prerut.
What do y'all think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk hunting question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wankerjake
October 30, 2013, 10:25 PM
They herd up after the rut too. Wouldn't surprise me if they still spar a bit. Don't know about Idaho, but the rut is over now in AZ.

Don McDowell
October 31, 2013, 09:37 AM
Most of the mature bulls pull away from the herds after the second estrus cycle. The cows are probably somewhere in the vicinity but there won't be any bugling that means much as far as a hunter is concerned. The cows and calves are pretty quite except for time when the herds get split and cows and calves are looking for each other. Right about now the cows are weaning their calves , and all are concerned about getting enough to eat to build body condition to go thru the winter.
So to fill your cow tag you will need to look towards their traditional wintering grounds and places in between there and the summer range. The rut is over so spending time watching a batch of bulls is just that.

flipajig
October 31, 2013, 01:44 PM
Thank you for the replies.
This is my first time hunting Elk and this is the first season in this area so I'm still learning the area. I'm shore the cows are in the area it's just going to be a matter of finding them.
Thank y'all again
Flip

hoghunting
November 1, 2013, 10:46 PM
This is my first year hunting Elk we just moved back from Texas to my home state.

Hi flip, sorry you left TX, but glad you're back home. Guessing the 7-30 barrel is sitting at home during the elk hunt. Good luck with your hunt.

CB900F
November 2, 2013, 05:39 PM
Flipajig;

T'were I you, I think I'd invest a coupla bucks in buyin' beers for some of the older hands in your territory. It's hard learnin' a patch without any help.

900F

flipajig
November 3, 2013, 10:22 PM
The 7-30 is still mounted on the tender I might have the opertunity to do some deprivation hunts for some Deer and Antelope. I have the 7-08 on the Encore.
I have bought some beer for the older hands in the area but there are restrictions on this tag. I have to hunt BLM or Privet property for this tag No national forest and ihave to stay in a piticular area. Idaho's rules have changed a lot since I left 30 years ago.
Flip

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk hunting question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!