USMC Ka-Bar

PDA

GunnyUSMC
November 1, 2013, 09:44 AM
Stopped off at the pawn shop the other day and saw this old USMC Ka-Bar sitting on the shelf.
The guy said he had bought it from an old lady. Before I even made an offer for the knife the guy said I could have it for $15.
Boy did I have to think long and hard on that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://i40.tinypic.com/veveo.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2wna007.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/vqpats.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "USMC Ka-Bar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WolverineFury
November 1, 2013, 09:59 AM
That's awesome. Did it come with a sheath?

GunnyUSMC
November 1, 2013, 02:36 PM
Nope, no sheath. I'll have to find one or have one made.

hso
November 1, 2013, 06:28 PM
Outstanding

bikerdoc
November 1, 2013, 06:31 PM
Nice find!

lobo9er
November 1, 2013, 06:34 PM
wow man nice. if you are a hunter I would let that one see some duty this year.

Piraticalbob
November 1, 2013, 08:47 PM
Nope, no sheath. I'll have to find one or have one made.
A.G. Russell sells them. (http://www.agrussell.com/agr-sheaths-and-pouches/c/2606/)

Nighteyes
November 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
Let me dig around. I may have an original sheath.

-- [B]Nighteyes

GunnyUSMC
November 1, 2013, 10:33 PM
Let me dig around. I may have an original sheath. [BTW, in case you don't already know, the original WWII sheaths were plain and un-marked. They did NOT come emblazoned with "USMC" and the Globe-and-Anchor.]

Thank you very mush.
I carried one in the Corps, that I bought at the PX, for years all over the world. We even did a ture of combat together. I can't count the number of ammo creats that it helped me open or how offten it was used as a hammer.
When I look at it it bring back memories both good and bad, hard times and good times. This old blade has been a true friend to me for many years.

hso
November 2, 2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ka-bar-plain-brown-full-size-leather-knife-sheath.html?gclid=CMCxvcnZxroCFUVp7AodgXcAGA&ef_id=UJM7mgAAT2HR7Rdy:20131102181031:s

http://www.kabar.com/accessories/35

CA Raider
November 2, 2013, 02:31 PM
classic. you should frame it :-)

BTW, did that old lady fight in the Pacific Islands in WW2??
Hahahahaha!!!!

CA R

Nighteyes
November 2, 2013, 06:16 PM
Thank you very mush.
I carried one in the Corps, that I bought at the PX, for years all over the world. We even did a ture of combat together. I can't count the number of ammo creats that it helped me open or how offten it was used as a hammer.
When I look at it it bring back memories both good and bad, hard times and good times. This old blade has been a true friend to me for many years.
You're very welcome. Turns out what I have IS an issue sheath, but its from some time after WWII. It is used and in excellent condition. It has been dyed a shiny USMC black.

PM me your email and I'll send pics.

-- Nighteyes

Mainsail
November 2, 2013, 06:24 PM
I picked up one of the reproductions back when I was active duty. We were flying missions into Moscow in support of the INF Treaty. One of the inspectors brought a handful with him as trading material, but the KGB Border Guards confiscated them. On the way out of the country they returned the whole dozen or so he brought in. I just happened to be walking forward after checking the cargo doors and he handed me one. Carried it in my gear for years.

jeepnik
November 2, 2013, 09:18 PM
I really wish items like this could talk.

Jaymo
November 2, 2013, 09:37 PM
My dad has a WW2 Pal US Navy knife that was given to him by a WW2 squid.
Hellacious edge.

Shanghai McCoy
November 2, 2013, 09:59 PM
The Kabars that I used as a Navy Diver had a fiber glass hard sheath. That was back in the early 70's tho...

hso
November 3, 2013, 07:55 AM
Those fiberglass sheaths themselves are pretty pricey.

GunnyUSMC
November 3, 2013, 10:07 AM
Well the cleanup is done.
One thing that didn't show up in the pics was how dry the leather handel was. I Used an old methed of melting wax into the handel to waterproof it. I only lightly cleaned the metal because, I wanted to leave the patina on it.
http://i39.tinypic.com/66cenk.jpg

Shanghai McCoy
November 3, 2013, 10:20 AM
Those fiberglass sheaths themselves are pretty pricey.
Dang, wish I had kept mine... :(
Of course, it was a bit less than "NIB" condition by the time I got out.

Nighteyes
November 3, 2013, 03:52 PM
The Kabars that I used as a Navy Diver had a fiber glass hard sheath. That was back in the early 70's tho...

Those are from later in WWII. They're very strong and dependable -- takes a lot to destroy one. I've seen them modified and tricked out in all sorts of ways, too.

They're made of the same stuff the M8 and M8A1 bayonet sheaths are made of, and are just about the same age.

USAF_Vet
November 5, 2013, 07:53 PM
Love the old leather handle KaBars. I always marvel at what they've seen when the handle is damn near black with blood and sweat and grease and dirt. That's some honest wear.

I keep wanting to get one myself, just to see how much ab/use it takes to get the handle like that.

Nighteyes
November 5, 2013, 08:35 PM
Love the old leather handle KaBars. I always marvel at what they've seen when the handle is damn near black with blood and sweat and grease and dirt. That's some honest wear.

I keep wanting to get one myself, just to see how much ab/use it takes to get the handle like that.

What mostly causes the "blackness" is petroleum-based lubricants (such as gun oil) and time. BTW, too much petro-based oil causes the leather to deteriorate, and surprisingly quickly. Human by-products such as sweat and skin-oil helps the process along, for sure. Blood does not do good things to leather, or to metals.

I have a thoroughly-used 1945-manufactured Winchester M-1 Carbine, and an also-thoroughly-used first-production-run USN-marked Camillus Mark II. Both are nearly black for these same exact reasons.

GunnyUSMC
November 6, 2013, 12:43 PM
To keep the leather handles from rotting or drying out you need to treat it witha non petroleum-based oil and then melt wax into it.

Nighteyes
November 6, 2013, 05:36 PM
Just be careful of the type of wax you use. Most waxes are made from paraffin, which is also a petroleum product.

rcmodel
November 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
Waterproofing a leather Kabar handle has been done since WWII by melting paraffin canning wax in a bean can and immersing the handle in it until to soaks up all it can soak up.

Then take it out and wipe off the excess paraffin before it cools and hardens.

It won't harm the leather.

rc

lobo9er
November 7, 2013, 03:19 PM
Looks great gunny! So is it going to be a user, BBQ knife, wall hanger, or safe war horse?

GunnyUSMC
November 7, 2013, 04:06 PM
Well I have three other Ka-Bars. The one in the pic with the sheath which I carried for 10 years around the world. I put it away in 1994 and replaced it with one of the Next Generation Ka-Bars. I carried the Next Generation until I got out of the Corps.
The third one is a Marine issue Camillus that I picked up in Desert Storm. The tip of the blade is broken, the hilt and half of the leather handle are missing. A friend wants to repair it for me, but I have not open the trunk it is stored in, in a few years. I may get it out and have it repaired and put all into a display case.

Brian Williams
November 8, 2013, 09:26 AM
Nice Kabar Gunny.

Nighteyes
November 8, 2013, 12:39 PM
Waterproofing a leather Kabar handle has been done since WWII by melting paraffin canning wax in a bean can and immersing the handle in it until to soaks up all it can soak up.

Then take it out and wipe off the excess paraffin before it cools and hardens.

It won't harm the leather.

rc

Prior to and during WWII it was fairly common practice to apply petroleum-based oils to wood and leather. Over the short term - a few years, even - this appeared to be beneficial. Today we're seeing the deterioration that these oils have caused.

As long as the leather rings of the knife's handle are intact and still tightly-compressed, and as long as the paraffin treatment is done only a couple of times, no problem. More than that, the risk of significant long-term deterioration begins to mount.

All I'm saying is that there are non-petroleum-based products out there which will do the job just as well without causing any harm.

-- Nighteyes

GunnyUSMC
November 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Bee's wax works great.

Deltaboy
November 16, 2013, 09:11 PM
Great Pawn shop find.

hso
November 18, 2013, 01:30 PM
Yep, guys used to dip them in paraffin.
You'll still see that recommendation out there today from old timers.

If you enjoyed reading about "USMC Ka-Bar" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!