Question about reading new posts

PDA

Louca
November 1, 2013, 11:26 AM
When I click on "New Posts", and several pages are shown with new posts, somewhere close to the end of the list I occasionally get the following message:

The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.
I am not sure what that means. I mean I am looking at new posts, so why would they include threads that "have not been updated"? On every visit when I am done reading, I always click "Mark Forums Read" on the Quick Links. So how can a thread not be updated but contain an unread post when I clicked Mark Forums Reaad? Can someone add some meaning to the message I see? Thanks.

Lou

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about reading new posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
November 1, 2013, 12:00 PM
It sounds like you understand the details of the "New Posts" function and all the nuances of it. However, I'll bet that either you didn't "Mark all forums read" when you thought you did, or more likely, a few posts were added in the time period when you did mark them as read and the time you logged out. I would bet my money on the latter situation. In other words, you mark the forums as read, but there are a few posts already being composed by a few members, in the pipeline, and submitted in the few seconds before you leave the forum. If you use the "Remember me" function, that adds an additional 20 minutes to a session if you don't physically logout.

Louca
November 1, 2013, 12:54 PM
If you use the "Remember me" function, that adds an additional 20 minutes to a session if you don't physically logout.
Now that could be it right there, since I always remain logged in. One characteristic I did not mention earlier was that the location of the message seems to get closer to the beginning of the posts the longer it has been since I read them.

In other words, if it has been fairly recent since I read posts (like less than a day), the pages of unread posts might look like:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5 - with message
Page 6

Whereas if it had been a longer time (like 2 days) it would look more like:

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3 - with message
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page Last

Please know I am NOT at all irritated by what I observed, I just thought I would mention it to see if I was doing anything wrong. Thanks!

Lou

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about reading new posts" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!