What pistol would you take to a combat shooting class?

PDA

earlthegoat2
November 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
Another thread got me thinking about what I like and what is practical for high volume, fast paced shooting.

I really like the BHP. I use it as occasional carry, a nightstand gun, and range queen extraordinaire.

However, upon further thought, and the aforementioned thread, I honestly think I would choose something different for a 1500-2000 round shoot that involved rapid movement, tactical reloads, speed shooting, and adverse conditions.

Maybe something like a Glock 19 or Sig 228 or 229. Capacity, weight, and general lack of manipulated external safeties being my primary criteria. I find this to be a more forgiving platform when anything besides defensive shooting comes into play.

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol would you take to a combat shooting class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tuj
November 2, 2013, 10:46 AM
I took a S&W 5906 to my first class and a CZ-P07 to my second. Both were fully adequate. If you're a glock guy, then the 17 or 19 should do nicely. But honestly you should shoot what you would use in a real situation.

earlthegoat2
November 2, 2013, 10:54 AM
That is kind of the sentiment Im after. A question as to whether we are all carrying the gun we really should be carrying or are we letting emotional or traditional factors come into play.

I usually conceal carry a snubby though. Im good with it in defensive drills. However, it would not be a player in the type of training im referring to. Im still going to carry it for SD but...

Quack
November 2, 2013, 10:56 AM
Guns i've used in classes.

My 2011 has been through high round count classes without issue.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-3HdnTgq/0/L/i-3HdnTgq-L.jpg

Have plenty of classes with this one.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/i-SpN7jSW/0/L/i-SpN7jSW-L.jpg

First class with this this past summer.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Guns/Paratus-Academy/i-bMfRrxt/0/L/DSC_8545-L.jpg

I've used G17's in the past and this was used this past summer.
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/Guns/Paratus-Academy/i-HGbvDqr/0/L/DSC_8550-L.jpg

In a recent 2 day class, i went with the 2011, then the M&P and Glock, since I carry any one of the 3 weapon systems. Ran the Glock AIWB because i've just switched to that style of carry. Happy to say, i didn't shoot my baby maker off. :eek:

CoThG
November 2, 2013, 11:10 AM
Another thread got me thinking about what I like and what is practical for high volume, fast paced shooting.

I really like the BHP. I use it as occasional carry, a nightstand gun, and range queen extraordinaire.

However, upon further thought, and the aforementioned thread, I honestly think I would choose something different for a 1500-2000 round shoot that involved rapid movement, tactical reloads, speed shooting, and adverse conditions.

Maybe something like a Glock 19 or Sig 228 or 229. Capacity, weight, and general lack of manipulated external safeties being my primary criteria. I find this to be a more forgiving platform when anything besides defensive shooting comes into play.
The HP is one of, if not, the most widely used combat pistols in history. You would be foolish to NOT choose to use a HP that is in good working order for a class or real combat.

usp9
November 2, 2013, 12:42 PM
Always take two guns in case one breaks. I'd take My HK USPc and my P2000sk. They shoot all day with little hand fatigue and need of attention.

rim
November 2, 2013, 12:47 PM
I have used sw mp 9c and sw shield for mine. .. thought about the kahr pm9 but decided not too

Hangingrock
November 2, 2013, 02:40 PM
I'd go with a S&W MP9 and MP9C

MICHAEL T
November 2, 2013, 02:55 PM
I would take what you carry If its a 380 kelTec unless they have rules not allowing then use what you carry. Why would I carry my Dan Wesson when 98% of time a PPK/S on my hip.

el Godfather
November 2, 2013, 03:05 PM
If I pick 9mm: H&K P30 or Glock 19
If I pick 45: Mk23 or Sig 220 Elite
If I pick 40: Glock 23

If I choose one right now, I am in the mood for shooting X5.

rockhopper46038
November 2, 2013, 03:18 PM
I've used my Wilson CQB for several classes. I've considered using my P228, but haven't yet.

DBS
November 2, 2013, 04:18 PM
Whatever you carry.

capttom
November 2, 2013, 04:26 PM
For my first concealed carry license class here in Texas, I used a Walther P1. It could be concealed, but not in the summer. My buddy, who didn't have a semi-auto, borrowed my Helwan copy of the Beretta 951 Brigadier.
Since then, I've shot either an S&W 6906 (12+1 rounds of 9mm) or the same company's CS9 (7+1). Neither have ever bobbled.

tomrkba
November 2, 2013, 04:52 PM
Any of the four guns listed would work. Take at least one spare to the class in case the primary gun has problems. The P228 and P229 would be most similar. The Glock and both SIGs will be better than an unmodified High Power. The High Power has extremely sharp edges. You will rip your fingers open if you are not careful--and it won't take long. The mag well needs to be beveled; you'll have to be very precise with your reloads.

HexHead
November 2, 2013, 04:58 PM
Without question, one of my Glock 17s. Or both.

BSA1
November 2, 2013, 05:13 PM
I'm recovering from open heart surgery which is greatly limiting my shooting and recoil the Docs let me handle so my choices are undergoing serious reevaluation. Assuming I am medically fit enough I would choose my Beretta 92FS.

It is more accurate than a Glock, stone cold reliable with everything I have fed it and right now the large size will help to soak up the recoil.

dusty14u
November 2, 2013, 06:04 PM
Probably CZ 85 Combat and take my Glock 30 as backup. Two different calibers but I am comfortable shooting either.

orionengnr
November 2, 2013, 06:18 PM
Didn't take long to get the right answer:
But honestly you should shoot what you would use in a real situation.
You are free to take whatever you like...but if it is going to serve as training, the most benefit will come from training with what you carry.

dogtown tom
November 2, 2013, 06:31 PM
earlthegoat2 .....Maybe something like a Glock 19 or Sig 228 or 229. Capacity, weight, and general lack of manipulated external safeties being my primary criteria....
Sig 228/229 have manual external safeties.

I own and regularly shoot Hi Powers, Glocks and own one Sig, a 228. I would be comfortable taking any one of them into a high round training course.

If I had to choose one platform and only one it would be a Glock. They are simple to shoot, simple to clean, maintain, and repair. If a Glock were to go down in a class you swap out parts......Hi Powers and Sigs are not nearly as easy or quick to self gunsmith.

tuj ... But honestly you should shoot what you would use in a real situation.
This.

Torian
November 2, 2013, 06:33 PM
I like my BHP for carry, but I shoot better with my EAA Elite Match.

BILLG
November 2, 2013, 06:50 PM
The Sig 228 and 229 DO NOT have external safeties they have decocking levers.

DBS
November 2, 2013, 07:36 PM
The Sig 228 and 229 DO NOT have external safeties they have decocking levers.
Unless they are DAK, in which case they have neither safeties nor decockers.

ExTank
November 2, 2013, 08:02 PM
Walther P99AS, With the PPQ as backup.

mavracer
November 2, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'd probably just take my SR9 and STI GP6.

Comrade Mike
November 2, 2013, 09:20 PM
The BHP is arguably the Cadillac of combat 9mm's. You couldn't ask for something better in your hands when it counts.

Deaf Smith
November 2, 2013, 09:28 PM
What pistol would you take to a combat shooting class?

I'd take a Glock and then a second Glock as backup.

Been to many a school and I can say I've seen lots of guns choke up.

But almost never Glocks unless the user did some changes they didn't test.

No matter what gun you use, bring a spare that takes the same ammo and holsters (and hopefully works the same way.)

Hate spending lots of bucks to go some far off school and the gun dies on you.

Nice thing is, the second gun can be your CCW gun there if your license is recognized in that state.

Deaf

Zerodefect
November 2, 2013, 09:29 PM
I take all of my current pistols. Try them all. A class is a good time to experiment to find out what works best FOR YOU.

At my last class, I found out that my daytime sights are usually better at night than my night sights. And that sights are fairly pointless in most practical completely dark situations, flashlight or not.

I also learned that the .380 mouse guns are a complete waste of time. I was deadlier with a broom stick in the night shoothouse.

So try everything you can, you'll likely be startled by something new. In my case, I found out that my Kahr P380, while a fine pistol, is a nice paper weight.

Steve CT
November 2, 2013, 10:06 PM
I took a S&W 5906 to my first class and a CZ-P07 to my second. Both were fully adequate. If you're a glock guy, then the 17 or 19 should do nicely. But honestly you should shoot what you would use in a real situation.
I'd take my very old school S&W Model 59. Reliable, accurate, easy and enjoyable to shoot. If I'm going to shoot a lot, I'd want it to be with a gun I like to shoot. I've owned SIG's and M&P's, and have a couple of 1911's that I really love shooting. If I was going to pay to train with one gun, this is the one

RussB
November 2, 2013, 10:13 PM
I take all of my current pistols. Try them all. A class is a good time to experiment to find out what works best FOR YOU.

Zerodefect, that is EXCELLENT advice!

My primary carry gun is S&W lightweight commander. I don't think I could handle shooting 1000+ rounds through it in a couple days

arizona98tj
November 2, 2013, 11:42 PM
My Springfield XD9 has seen nearly 100 hours of shooting classes and it's never let me down.

skt239
November 2, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've taken a few classes and have always used my P239. I have also used the same gun for IDPA.

tarosean
November 3, 2013, 12:31 AM
Ive taken a 92FS, 92-TypeM, LW Commander and a 5" 1911..

Next class will be with my Baer and Hawk.

camsdaddy
November 3, 2013, 06:40 AM
I asked my self a similar situation a while back. This is the reason I now carry my glock 19. I had several guns I swapped between but thought if I needed it what would I want. Of course a long gun or larger but I was being realistic. If I were going to take a class firing 1000's of rounds. I would want those rounds fired and the training done with the gun I will most likely have with me if I have to call on that training.

LeonCarr
November 3, 2013, 07:55 AM
Take what you are most comfortable with.

The number one recommendation I can make above the ones already mentioned is to take the handgun, find all of the sharp edges and round them off. When taking a high round count pistol class learning new techniques sharp edges will at a minimum make your shooting class uncomfortable and less enjoyable and worst case can cut you.

Do that regardless of what handgun or handguns you bring.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

45_auto
November 3, 2013, 08:34 AM
Take the most expensive one you own with the most useless gadgets on it to impress the instructors and other students.

Zerodefect
November 3, 2013, 09:21 AM
Zerodefect, that is EXCELLENT advice!

My primary carry gun is S&W lightweight commander. I don't think I could handle shooting 1000+ rounds through it in a couple days

Thankyou. Another tidbit I've learned: We spend all this time making our pistols uber reliable to get our moneys worth out of a class, only to find out now we have pistols and carbines that are TOO reliable.

Now my 1911's and Glocks don't fail enough to get the best out of training.

What's a class without malfunction drills placed randomly within it? I don't train with just my good mags, I have plenty of purposely damaged 1911 and GI Ar15 mags. Weak springs, damaged feed lips, etc. etc. I load them up, and put them on my belt with my eyes closed. I have to seriously damage a Glock to get it to stop working LOL. (best mags out there)

Proper malf training is important, because clearing all 4 types of malfs can really stink, especially if one malf leads to another. Unless you can clear it without the slightest thought process, just pure instinct, you don't stand the sightest chance of clearing it under real stress. Clearing a malf in a class with everyone watching deos have a little stress....

So don't just bring your DW or EB and some new Tripp mags. Bring your cheap Kimber and some banged up mags as well. Bring some ammo that you know your 1911 hates.

RBid
November 3, 2013, 09:53 AM
I would take what I carry-- Glock 19 Gen 4. I think everyone should train and practice with what they carry, how they carry it.

GBExpat
November 3, 2013, 10:07 AM
You would be foolish to NOT choose to use a HP that is in good working order for a class or real combat.

There it is ... the HP or you be foolish. ;)

I, OTOH, being a sometime foolish kinda guy, would choose the pistol based upon what I am trying to get out of this particular class.

ExTank
November 3, 2013, 10:13 AM
ZeroDefect, I like your thought process (even if it clashes with your user name :) ) about training for when things go wrong.

Getting the job done when everything is just right is much easier than when things are going pear-shaped.

Deaf Smith
November 3, 2013, 10:26 AM
Well you could take your current stable of guns to see what last and not last or..

Just call up some well known trainers and ASK them what works and don't work.

That will save you some time and money.

Hint... I have been in many a class and taught many a class (CHL.)

Glocks, Ruger P89s, and Sigs tend to run forever. Lots of the others have problems.

Not all mind you, some use well set up 1911s (and not necessarily 'custom' ones) and they work.

Alot of the 'also rans' brands tend to fail after a while.

And those that add on after market do-dads tend to have problems to.

Deaf

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol would you take to a combat shooting class?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!