Buckmaster 4.5x14x40

PDA

burrhead
November 3, 2013, 12:19 AM
Just finished an AR A3 upper build using a take off 20” HBAR 1/7 barrel and a free float tube. Only the barrel and BCG are new, everything else are parts I had laying around. The plan is long range coyotes and 400 yard+ paper punching. Right now I've got a Troy flip up rear sight modified with a 0.050 aperture (bought before the “troubles”) and a F front sight. I want to put on a decent variable scope but I can't justify to SWMBO dropping real money into a toy.

So I'm thinking about a Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 BDC. Yes, I'd prefer a Leupold but I like being married. A Monarch may be in the cards but that's pushing it. Anyway, what do OWNERS of Buckmasters think? Good enough or pass?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Buckmaster 4.5x14x40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Haxby
November 3, 2013, 12:37 AM
I am not an OWNER.
Have you checked the price on the mildot version at Natchezss?

burrhead
November 3, 2013, 12:52 AM
I prefer a range finding reticle. The scope I'm asking about is $270 delivered on Amazon. The cheap price is what has me concerned.

Outlaw Man
November 4, 2013, 06:34 PM
What kind of budget are you looking at? I like that it has parallax adjustment, but I'm really afraid you're going to be pushing the limits of this scope at that range. You don't necessarily need a Leupold, but you might seriously consider upgrading a bit.

burrhead
November 4, 2013, 06:52 PM
The Monarch is in the mid $400s and the Buckmaster is $150 cheaper, more or less. A lot of it has to do with household politics. My wife has no problem with me spending money on a hunting rig or defensive weapon. I bought an X-Bolt and put a Leupold on top earlier in the year and an XDs a couple of months ago. Spent at least $2,000 on reloading supplies this year. No prob. But if it's a toy (read target gun) I get a baleful look. We've been married 30 years and I've played this game a long time and I do understand her reasoning.
The bottom line is that if I want peace and harmony I can't go crazy on my builds and have to stay within a budget. Ergo, I'm looking for the best compromise of money vs quality.

N.Schafer
November 5, 2013, 07:14 PM
The Buckmaster works. I made a custom 1917 in 300 Weatherby Magnum and the Buckmaster has withstood over 100 rounds through it so far. Recoil on an AR is not going to be problem. The only thing more money gets you is higher-tech lens coatings for "gathering" light. If there is a problem, Nikon's warranty is good.

119er
November 5, 2013, 09:01 PM
I use the same scope with a BDC on a 7mm-08. It works good enough for me and has been on there for about 4 years. It gets banged a little in and out of tripods and occasionally bouncing around in a flat bottom on intercoastal canals but nothing real abusive. I shoot it at 300 at paper targets and have killed hogs between 90-200 yards with it. Coyote shouldn't be a problem with it but the reticle is a little thick when shooting paper @300. I use the Nikon M223 3-12 on a .223 bolt gun and it has done well also.

burrhead
November 5, 2013, 11:01 PM
119er, I thought about the M223 and also a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10 but both of them are just flat beyond the budget for this build. I didn't know the BDC reticle was that thick so that sort of steers me towards a mil dot. Since you live in Texas you're probably familiar with the Big Bend, where I live, and living at the edge of the universe makes it hard for me to actually see any of these scopes. For me it's just order off the net and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone for your help.

119er
November 5, 2013, 11:58 PM
How are things in Big Bend?

I only notice the thickness when I am being picky at 300 yards shooting at 8-10" bullseye targets. I have never noticed it while hunting. For the money it is a great scope, plus when you take the caps off it has small turrets that can be read from the side for easy adjustments and they're finger adjustable.

montanaoffroader
November 13, 2013, 09:48 PM
I have a Buckmasters 4.5-14x40 SF with BDC, mounted on a .223 Savage Axis. It seems to hold zero well and has reasonably clear optics. I haven't played around with the BDC yet, but I'm sure it would be handy in the field.

The Axis doesn't have much in the way of recoil, so it hasn't exactly been torture tested over the last 3 years. One of my friends has the identical scope on his .280 and it has held up well with no problems.

sscoyote
November 14, 2013, 05:50 AM
Love all my Nikon products. Had a 6-18x BM mil-dot on a 17 FB XP-100 and it was a great optic to 500 yards on prairie dogs.

Actually took a 4.5-14 MD BM to the Philippines couple eyars ago and a buddy loves it on his rifle. I'm sure you'll like the BDC reticle (although i prefer a line tree reticle myself for windage reference). It's worked well for me.

IMO, the BM is a great value in a side-parallaxed, BDC-reticled, target-turretted optic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buckmaster 4.5x14x40" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!