Turkeys!

PDA

DanTheFarmer
November 3, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hi All,

NH's fall shotgun turkey season was Monday, Oct. 14 - Friday, Oct. 18. On the Saturday before the season I saw a flock of 5 in my side yard. During the season I didn't see a thing. I didn't hear BOOM in the distance either so I don't think anyone else saw anything either.

Today I was bringing in some firewood and heard turkeys. I walked over in the direction of the noise and counted 39 (!) crossing the road from my side yard to a neighbor's property. Oh well. At least it seems I've got a pretty good spot.

Come on back this spring you turkeys! I've got 1 5/16's oz. of plated #5 waiting for you out of my 20 gauge. I've got a hearty appetite too!

Dan

If you enjoyed reading about "Turkeys!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hometeached1
November 3, 2013, 05:54 PM
The turkeys are the same here, I saw six yesterday while in my stand hunting deer, they came within 12 yards of me!:banghead:

Captain Capsize
November 7, 2013, 09:44 AM
Shot my first Pa. turkey yesterday with the .22 magnum barrel on my Savage model 24 .22 mag/20 ga. Was 11 lbs. on the hoof. Hen, big one. Cooked up the legs and had some tonight, ended up with about 2 lbs. of meat left over. Was very good, probably will save the breast for thanksgiving. Funny thing, I wasnít turkey hunting, I drove up to the gas well area to go squirrel hunting and parked the truck and was taking a leak when about 20 birds walked across the road about 60 yds. away. I hadnít even opened the rear door to get my hunting stuff out yet. So I let them walk into the woods then loaded up and flanked them. They never saw me. I picked out the biggest bird and made an 80 yd. shot. She dropped like a stone. I was afraid the ballistic tip bullet would ruin a bunch of meat but not so. The bullet entered right in the crop and exited thru the wing joint, virtually a perfect shot.

Patocazador
November 8, 2013, 09:59 AM
Turkeys always seem to act dumber than usual in the Fall. In the Spring, I can't kill them for snot but they are all over when I'm deer hunting late in the year.

If you enjoyed reading about "Turkeys!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!