Rifle Shooting With A Scope

PDA

OneWound
November 4, 2013, 10:36 PM
When shooting with a scope, does your cheek bone have to be meshed down on the stock or is it better to have your cheek barely touching it? If I do need to raise my comb, what's the best way to do it? Buy a pad or something or have a gun smith put one on?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Shooting With A Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
November 4, 2013, 10:43 PM
Neither IMO. A light touch might not steady the target well and mashing your face into the stock is probably not repeatable. (and darn uncomfortable too) Your cheek should be resting on the stock.

What rifle are you shooting? Older rifles were fitted with stocks meant for use with iron sights. Newer stock designs raise your head enough to use a scope correctly. An add-on cheek piece will work or you might need to change the stock if that will work better for you.

What rifle are you shooting???

rbernie
November 4, 2013, 10:47 PM
In my opinion and experience, it is desirable to get a firm cheek weld on any long gun, scoped or not, to help prevent cheek slap and ensure consistent form.

henschman
November 4, 2013, 10:50 PM
Yep, a solid cheek weld is also necessary so you can fully relax your neck muscles. If your head isn't resting firmly on the stock, you're using muscles to hold your head up, which induces some wobble.

ArchAngelCD
November 4, 2013, 10:51 PM
In my opinion and experience, it is desirable to get a firm cheek weld on any long gun, scoped or not, to help prevent cheek slap and ensure consistent form.
I agree, when I said resting above I should have added the word firm but mashed, not for me... lol

OneWound
November 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
The rifle is a ruger GSR. Anyways, best way to move up the comb?

ArchAngelCD
November 4, 2013, 11:13 PM
I'm surprised that stock isn't good enough but of course you know what it's doing for you. Since that's already a good stock I would add a cheek piece. (but I'm no expert)

MrCleanOK
November 4, 2013, 11:18 PM
I let my cheekweld support the weight of my head. I don't mash down any harder, or try to support any of the weight with my neck. Basically. . . if you're doing, trying, or thinking about anything then you're doing it wrong. Just relax and let your head go where it wants, like putting it on a pillow.

MrCleanOK
November 4, 2013, 11:20 PM

Are you using the lowest rings you can for your optic?

rodensouth
November 4, 2013, 11:27 PM
Is the scope sitting as low as possible? Lower rings might do the trick also. When I see an add-on cheek riser with a scope in high mounts it makes me cringe.

OneWound
November 4, 2013, 11:30 PM
Yes the rings are as low as possible

MrCleanOK
November 4, 2013, 11:47 PM
If the scope is mounted as low as you can get it, and you find you are having to crane your neck uncomfortably forward to get far enough up on the comb, then you may need a riser. I'm not familiar with the stock on the GSR, but it's possible that it maybe has too much drop, or maybe you just have a short face or high cheek bones or. . . .

Like rodensouth said, "high rings + riser = cringe". "Low rings + riser = you gotta do what you gotta do".

ArchAngelCD
November 5, 2013, 01:12 AM
I'm very surprised he's having a problem because this Ruger is fairly new and set up with integral scope mounts and a Picatinny Rail.

Did this Ruger come with rings like a lot of their guns?

OneWound
November 5, 2013, 07:39 AM
I'm using different rings, that's the reason why I'm having issues

Skylerbone
November 5, 2013, 08:50 AM
You'll need to measure for the correct height. Find a phone book, open it up and lay pages across the stock's comb until you reach a comfortable alignment. Measure those pages. From there you can make your own riser from a variety of materials or purchase a riser. Here's a link to a good one, available in an assortment of sizes including progressive: http://item.brownells.com/groups/de-scope-eze/index.htm

FWIW, I guess I'm a masher. Not to the point of crushing my cheek between bone and stock but definitely secure. Never eaten a scope (not a problem with the GSR) and never any cheek slap.

rbernie
November 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
I have several Ruger 77 Hawkeyes and 77 MkIIs and the only way that I can find to get a proper cheekweld with an optic is to replace the stock. I use the Boyds Prairie Hunter in walnut, mostly. Even then, I'm limited to low/medium rings and optics with reasonably sized objectives.

RonSC
November 5, 2013, 10:11 AM
In addition to ring height, improper ( excessively long ) stock length can prevent proper cheek weld, especially in folks who are shorter or tend to have " shorter "necks. Have your stock 'fit' checked by a an experienced shooter. The fix may be as simple as altering the stock length. If mods are needed more than likely your scope eye relief will need adjustment as well.

Art Eatman
November 5, 2013, 11:15 AM
For one's cheek against the comb, words like "snug" or "firm" are commonly used. More pressure than "lightly", but certainly nothing really strong. "Comfortably firm"? Something like that.

CraigC
November 5, 2013, 11:59 AM
Should be firm but comfortable.

The obvious question should be, what kind of scope are you using that it is so high you're not getting a good cheek weld?

OneWound
November 5, 2013, 12:17 PM
The scope I am using (going from memory, please be nice about it) is a vortex scope that is 6.5x20x44 with mil-dot and capped turrents. I also have an XS Rail system on it. I went with that one ONLY because it was the only scope to fit my needs, and was within my price range. I do understand that I should have went with a longer barrel, something like 24", but the GSR had almost everything I needed without having to buy 20 other things to make it perfect. I have tried the medium high scope rings, but it touches the XS rail so that isn't an option.

W.E.G.
November 5, 2013, 01:31 PM
Fitting a rifle is an art.

If the current configuration suits you, and accuracy is up to snuff you don't need to change anything.

If it feels wrong when held in the manner you normally use, you need to correct it until it feels right.

Beyond that, answers on the internet are not very helpful.

Caliper_RWVA
November 5, 2013, 03:13 PM
In addition to a good cheekweld (you shouldn't be using any neck muscle to hold your head up) you should be "turkey-necked". Stretch your neck forward before setting your cheek down on the stock. You will probably have to move the scope about all the way forward to do this. Combined, turkey neck and cheek weld give a consistent eye placement behind the scope for better accuracy. Having your neck stretched forward also means that when the rifle recoils your head and the stock will move back together, which reduces felt recoil and prevents scope eye!

OneWound
November 5, 2013, 03:28 PM
Caliper, I do have some things to add to the LOP, so I'll just add those.

Skyler, how do those pieces attack to the comb?

henschman
November 5, 2013, 03:42 PM
Yep to turkey neck as well... if you add your comb riser, make sure it is far enough forward that it gives your cheek good support when you are all the way turkey necked forward in prone. Set up your scope's eye relief in this position as well. Then when you are shooting from a position where your head isn't as far forward on the stock, like standing or sitting at a bench, it will be fine too. But if you put the riser and scope too far to the rear, it will be uncomfortable when in a proper prone or seated position.

I hate shooting rifles that have a cheek rest installed by someone else, because 9times out of 10 it is too far to the rear, even for my standing position. Hence my belief that not very many shooters know to turkey neck.

Skylerbone
November 5, 2013, 04:19 PM
Stick-on, semi-permanent (read stayin put till you really want it removed).

Warp
November 5, 2013, 05:29 PM
Consistency and repeatably is what matters most, in terms of accuracy. I mean, that's what accuracy IS...consistency and reputability.

Do whatever doesn't physically harm you that is the most readily repeatable and consistent.

dubbleA
November 5, 2013, 05:32 PM
Just my thoughts.......

You are taking a rifle that was designed as a "scout" type. That is to say is was meant to be a fast handling open sighted rifle or used one with a lower powered forward mounted scope mounted low.

It sounds as if you installed a picatinny rail atop the action(which adds height) and a large objective scope (which adds height) and rings needed for the scope to clear the extended rail(which adds height). When you add this up with the low comb height of a scout rifle the final outcome is a scope that is probably 2" above the bore axis. Bad news for a good cheek weld.

Some options to pick your head up are a Karsten cheek rest, Beartooth comb riser, Accu-Riser spacers or a TrippleK leather comb. These will all be able to be attached to your stock and enable your eye to be properly aligned
with the scope. Hope this helps.

Warp is spot on in the post above!

OneWound
November 6, 2013, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the help everyone!

ilmonster
November 8, 2013, 03:05 PM
Another option would be a stock pack. It has straps that attach it to the stock, and comes with spacers to raise the comb as much as you need. I use a Triad Tactical stock pack on my Rem 700 with a B&C Medalist stock. It's an inexpensive, non-marring, and stable way to raise your comb height. Cheers!

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Shooting With A Scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!