trying not to disrupt the neighbors

PDA

Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:08 PM
I have a piece of property that I hunt where I'm not far from some houses (I wont shoot that direction) and I don't know what there position is on hunting. I want to find a centerfire long gun that will be as quiet as possible to cull out a few does.

If you enjoyed reading about "trying not to disrupt the neighbors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:13 PM
Sorry guys I hit the post button before I was ready. I was thinking a 38/357 lever action but any thoughts would be great.

thefish
November 7, 2013, 10:13 PM
Suppressed ar in 300 blackout?

Or a suppressor on one of your existing rifles?

I think the trick is to run subsonic ammo if possible too.

Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:16 PM
Not legal here in the grand ol state of New York

thefish
November 7, 2013, 10:16 PM
I have a piece of property that I hunt where I'm not far from some houses .

How far is " not far"

thefish
November 7, 2013, 10:20 PM
Hmm. Well, I guess that rules out a suppressor.

I would think bolt action, subsonic ammo, longer barrel, but I don't know enough about the various rifle calibers to to know what has the quietest report.

wyohome
November 7, 2013, 10:23 PM
I would talk to them...and not worry about appeasement.

Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:37 PM
My stand is about 100yds from the houses. I had issues with neighbors at another property back in Aug were he called the cops while we were shooting clays before my wedding. But anyways thats another property I'd use that gun.

Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:41 PM
Is it possible to handload .270 subsonic?

Sol
November 7, 2013, 10:47 PM
A bow? Seriuosly though, if firing a gun and hunting on the property is a legal activity, I wouldn't be too concerned about noise levels. I would be willing to make some concessions but certainly wouldn't make too many.

wyohome
November 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
I would draw a little sketch of the property, with shooting directions and property lines/houses. Let them know you are in compliance with the law (Deer season starts ...I will be hunting) and not a crazy guy*. They will hear the shots, may as well let them know what is going on.
*unless you are a crazy guy.

Wolfgang james
November 7, 2013, 10:55 PM
I have permission from the land owner and generally gun hunt the far side and bow hunt the near side of the property. I'm within the 500ft of a house that's why I don't wanna make waves

Fremmer
November 8, 2013, 12:26 AM
Don't do anything. Shoot a deer once, gut it, and leave. A single shot probably won't be a concern, but multiple shots will get their attention.

Art Eatman
November 8, 2013, 12:59 AM
Seems courteous to inform the neighbors that you hunt and that you are careful about directions of shooting. Keeps them from reporting legal-hours shooting to law enforcement and causing some sort of hassle.

Nomad
November 8, 2013, 01:44 AM
IMO you are on the right track but wrong caliber. To me the 357 (becuase of the high pressure) is a ear splitting crack. If it were me I'd think about the 45 Colt in a lever gun. Low pressure, less noise and if you reload you can taylor your load.

If you enjoyed reading about "trying not to disrupt the neighbors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!