Band of Brothers

PDA

cdbeaver
March 26, 2004, 09:16 PM
Just a reminder for you war movie fans out there:

"Band of Brothers," the finest (in my opinion) war movie ever made, will be broadcast on The History Channel starting April 11 at 8 p.m. Central Time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Band of Brothers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ARperson
March 26, 2004, 10:38 PM
Geez, like I need another reason to sit on my arse and watch History Channel all day. Luckily, I have the movie.

If you haven't seen it, you need to watch it. Arguably one of the top 3 war movies made.

Chipperman
March 26, 2004, 10:40 PM
I've seen the ad about the starting time, but how are they gonna air it?

Marathon, Nightly, Weekly?

Gotta program the TiVo!

Patent Works
March 26, 2004, 10:42 PM
One of the best stories ever put on film.

tc300mag1
March 26, 2004, 10:47 PM
Well worth the price of the DVD set :cool:

JohnKSa
March 26, 2004, 10:48 PM
Pretty good miniseries. A friend of mine has the 6 DVD set and I watched it last week while recovering from whatever brand of creeping crud the airlines gave me on my last trip.

OH25shooter
March 26, 2004, 10:50 PM
I've got the DVD. Met (Sgt) Malarkey and (Lt) Compton at the DVD release conference in D.C. NEAT! And I will be watching again on the History Channel. The BEST! You gotta love the sound of the Garand (ping) and the German MG42.

ThreadKiller
March 26, 2004, 11:10 PM
And the best news is a Pacific theater version of the film is going to be made!

Tim

tankertom
March 26, 2004, 11:12 PM
According to the Wall Street Journal there will be a US Army video airing before Band of Brothers that is quite good.

tt

ny32182
March 26, 2004, 11:29 PM
I have the DVD... Band of Brothers was excellent. Where is the news about the Pacific version? How could they do that? The group they were following was only fighting in Europe as far as I know...

joegerardi
March 26, 2004, 11:46 PM
It's not going to be the same characters from BoB. It's going to be a similar type of mini series, but this time set in the Pacific.

..Joe

ThreadKiller
March 26, 2004, 11:52 PM
I read it somewhere on THR. It will be based on a company of Marines instead.

And a google search produced this: Band of Brothers-Pacific (http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/949830/posts)

Tim

ThreadKiller
March 27, 2004, 12:01 AM
Doink! Redundant info removed.

Tim

Abe
March 27, 2004, 01:45 AM
...US Army video airing before Band of Brothers that is quite good.
I wonder if this is the Band of Brothers Preview show that is now airing? I caught the last 10 minutes of it earlier this week and it looked excellent. TiVo set to grab it on Sunday (March 28 @ 7am CST.)

Band of Brothers is an absolute must-see. Get the DVD set which includes a documentary on the creation of the program. Has alot more interviews with the actual men. Hopefully The History Channel will include this as it caps the show off nicely.

Norm Nietzke, one of The Band of Brothers (he's in one of the interview segments in episode 6 or 7 IIRC) lives somewhere in the general area near me. He attends a monthly VFW history presentation. Haven't had the guts to go up to him yet. What do you say to a guy like that except "Thanks"?

- Abe

six 4 sure
March 27, 2004, 03:07 AM
WARNING:

If you do not already own a Garand or M1 Carbine do not watch BOB. Your next trip to the gun store might get expensive. :D

six

greyhound
March 27, 2004, 10:36 AM
And the best news is a Pacific theater version of the film is going to be made!

And I predict cries of "racism" if they tell it like it really happened. Sigh.

MrMurphy
March 27, 2004, 12:10 PM
And if you want to "Play" BOB, get Call Of Duty for the PC. Most of the first five missions were directly taken from the series (taking the artillery pieces at Brecourt Manor, etc) the others, you play Brits and Russians, but the first four or five missions are directly taken from the 82nd and 101st's missions during D-Day. very, very realistic, and very accurate. If you don't keep up with your squad or support them, you die. One Man Rambo mission it's not. You drop in as a pathfinder, set up a beacon, defend an LZ, knock out Flak guns, defend a town, drive a car through enemy lines to get reinforcements, etc. VERY worth the money. The enemy AI is good (they cooperate with each other and work like a real platoon) and your guys support you and cover you.

BarnsBeware
March 27, 2004, 12:23 PM
six 4 sure hit it right on the head. My gun shop told me that they expect a run on them, as the demand will jump up like it did just after Private Ryan. Get them while you can!!!

Selfdfenz
March 28, 2004, 12:26 AM
Great m-series, great book. I watched the 1st episode and went right back to the video store and rented the other editions and watched it right thru.

GB the men that did what they did.

My Dad used to talk about the Bulge. BOB made it possible for me to understand what that was all about.

S-

Drjones
March 28, 2004, 01:46 AM
I don't get it: isn't it a series? I could've sworn I went to the video store to rent it once, and there were like 10+ volumes.

For some reason, I went home with a different movie. :banghead:

Either way, I want to see it.

Oh, and see my sig. Shakespeare is great. That passage has such a wonderful ring to it, I could just repeat it to myself all day long. :)

Selfdfenz
March 29, 2004, 03:20 PM
You are right, it was a mini-series and hence the DVDs are several.

S-

wingman
March 29, 2004, 04:06 PM
At my age I do not get to excited about movies nor would I purchase dvd's
but I did buy Band of Brothers and have watched it a number of times.
One of the best I have seen, I can only hope if they make another it will
be the same.

I grew up in the 40's worked for and with ww2 vets some of the best
men I have ever known.

grnzbra
March 29, 2004, 04:55 PM
What does everyone think about the casting of David Schwimmer for the character he played (the screw up, little dictator type officer in the paratrooper school in the beginning of the series). They certainly did pick the right actor for that part; Ross (the Friends tv show) with a little power.
"Five miles up and five miles down" (or was it 8 miles?)

Langenator
March 29, 2004, 05:17 PM
I think it was a good bit of casting. It would have been better if Schwimmer wasn't so famous as Ross. Schwimmer did a pretty good job-it's just hard to put the "Ross" bit out of your head.

hapafish
March 29, 2004, 07:00 PM
Every time I try to sit down to watch the whole series, something always, ALWAYS drags me away. Usually it's a bunch of drunken (or soon to be sloshed) buddies asking me to drive for them. So every time I have to start from the beginning ... I think I have watched the first episode something like eight times.

If they really do bring 506th back from Korea to Campbell AND give them jump status, I think a bunch of us are going to be 4187ing our transfer requests to get in ... there won't be an Easy/Echo Company in any of the battalions but to be part of such a legend ... :) That's a once in a lifetime dream.

BarnsBeware
March 29, 2004, 07:00 PM
What are you guys talking about?! I thought that if Ross were drafted, he would have become the lieutenant in BOB! I thought that he was perfect, Friends stigma and all! But then, I didn't watch a lot of Friends either so, my take on his Ross character is probably unqualified.

I did think at the first viewing, "Oh jeez, him??!" but I gotta say he did a fine job playing the lieutenant. I even felt sorry for his character later when ...<SPOILER>..., didn't you?

I thought Mr. Office Space (Ron Livingston) as Capt. Nixon was a good casting decision too.

-BB

Black_Talon
March 29, 2004, 10:29 PM
I think it was a good bit of casting. It would have been better if Schwimmer wasn't so famous as Ross. Schwimmer did a pretty good job-it's just hard to put the "Ross" bit out of your head.

Wasn't hard for me. I can proudly say I've never seen 1 second of Friends. :)

Back OT, BOB is certainly the best war movie I've ever seen, and at least one of the top five movies I've ever seen.

BarnsBeware
March 29, 2004, 10:58 PM
...I can proudly say I've never seen 1 second of Friends.
Lucky you. :(

OH25shooter
March 30, 2004, 09:13 AM
Speaking of characters, how many think Lt. Spears shot those POW's after he gave them cigarettes? I'm still not sure. I did read the book and don't recall that incident being mentioned. I was amazed at how accurate the series was compared to how the event actually occurred.

Battlespace
March 30, 2004, 10:33 AM
We Were Soldiers Once and Young beats them all. I have had the pleasure of working with Ernie Savage off and on over the years. He is a super guy, just a real down to earth person who would rather be in a bass boat with a cold beer than anything else. One would never know he is one of the heros of all times, IMHO he ranks up there near to SGT York.

L-Frame
March 30, 2004, 12:10 PM
If you watch it closely again, Lt. Spears definitely did not shoot the prisoners.

grnzbra
March 30, 2004, 12:11 PM
I'm not a fan of Friends, but since my wife broke her shoulder, I've felt bad about doing other things and leaving her alone with the tv sooo.... Anyway, his character struck me as exactly what Ross would be like if he were drafted away from his museum job and given even a little power. I've met too many people like that and he was definitely Ross on an ego trip. And no, I never felt sorry for him. He got exactly what he deserved; dead ended.

Ktulu
March 30, 2004, 12:18 PM
I've watched Friends for years and Ross is an annoying wuss. When I watched BOB the first time on HBO I thought, oh boy, more Ross Schwimmer but he really did a good job.

Ron Livingston is good as well. Does anyone else think he would make the perfect Hogan for a Hogan's Heroes movie?

BOB is a great movie and one of the best war movies ever.

tc300mag1
March 30, 2004, 01:04 PM
Yes i too think Ron Livingston would make a great Hogan

grnzbra
March 30, 2004, 02:02 PM
Schwimmer did an absolutely magnificent job of playing his character. It's just that the character is just as I would expect Ross with power to act and Schwimmer playing that part was great.

Mk VII
March 30, 2004, 02:55 PM
"Like, we are so at war."

Adam
March 30, 2004, 04:20 PM
If we talking about band of brothers - here's mine - show us yours!

Langenator
March 30, 2004, 04:35 PM
Doesn't the guy pointing his rifle at the camera make you the least bit nervous?

Cosmoline
March 30, 2004, 05:09 PM
What's with the uptown choppers? I thought Poland was part of NATO now?

Don't tell me you folks aren't jumping on the AR bandwagon! :D

Adam
March 31, 2004, 03:52 PM
No :) we changed caliber (from 7.62 to 5.56) but big,ugly,unaccurate AK is stil with us - now it's called Beryl - here few pictures:

http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0005.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0001.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0010.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0011.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0012.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0006.jpg
http://foto.pap.com.pl/midi_galerie_irak/0003/gal_0003_0004.jpg

hapafish
March 31, 2004, 06:44 PM
Page 54-55 of the August 2003 issue of "S.W.A.T." Magazine shows Polish SpecOps troops at Umm Qasr, Iraq, with M4s.

To get back on topic, I think the production and casting for "Band of Brothers" was brilliant ... down to the last extra.

general
April 1, 2004, 02:52 AM
Abe:
Haven't had the guts to go up to him yet. What do you say to a guy like that except "Thanks"?
I think that would be just fine. Maybe even , "Thanks, can I buy you a cup of coffee?" would work too. Tell him a BIG THANKS!
When I first heard about BOB I thought... Mark 'New Kid on the Block' Wahlberg as Lipton?
Please... but I was convinced... great acting. Hadn't really seen him in much.
Schwimmer as Sobel - yeah it works..
Since I didn't see anyone else post it - I'll slap it up here..
HBO BOB Site (http://www.hbo.com/band/landing/currahee.html)
I think one of the Pacific episodes will have to deal with construction of the bomb.. but how to fit it in?
I hope the price on the DVD of BOB comes down after the History Channel airing. Would love to own it.

TCD
April 1, 2004, 03:10 AM
To get back on topic, I think the production and casting for "Band of Brothers" was brilliant ... down to the last extra.

agreed. None of the characters were over powering in my opinion. They were all just believable and likeable in there own way.

And I have a hankering to buy a garand and a carbine now

(I hardly saw them use the BAR at all though :( )

I really like the last episode. I really like them all.

Ktulu
April 1, 2004, 09:58 AM
Mark 'New Kid on the Block' Wahlberg as Lipton?

Actually the guy who plays Lipton is Donnie "New Kids on the Block" Wahlberg, Marky Mark's older brother.

MrMurphy
April 1, 2004, 10:11 AM
And the lieutenant passing out ammo from his jeep before they go into Bastogne is a cast member from Saturday Night Live, can't remember his name right now though. :)

Other usually-not-seen-but-seen-in-BOB weapons: Grease Gun in action, someone actually getting bayoneted in a realistic situation, and a rifle grenade to take out an MG.

Langenator
April 1, 2004, 10:49 AM
And the guy who plays the unit intel officer and Winter's main confidant/buddy was the main character in Office Space.

twoblink
April 1, 2004, 09:19 PM
My friend is gonna be lending me the box set on DVD today!! :evil:

SWEET.

burbanite
April 1, 2004, 11:05 PM
My girlfriends Grandfather (now deceased) is Floyd (Tab) Talbert.

extremefishin00
April 2, 2004, 12:04 AM
I just hope it isn't too edited when it comes on the History Channel.

I think BoB has to be one of the best mini series ever produced. I can't even imagine how miserable it was to fight in the dead of winter, without winter clothing, little ammo, and having medics trading left and right just to get the necessities to take care of the troops.

Chris

Orion
April 2, 2004, 06:24 AM
They gotta show the monologues at the end!

Guarnier made me cry when he said "I'm not a hero but I served with some"

To go through all that and be humble about it...

Khornet
April 2, 2004, 12:08 PM
is a photo of the 506th PIR jumping into Arnhem, signed by "Wild Bill" Guarneri.

Politically Incorrect
April 2, 2004, 07:55 PM
And the lieutenant passing out ammo from his jeep before they go into Bastogne is a cast member from Saturday Night Live, can't remember his name right now though.

He's funnyman Jimmy Fallon.

general
April 3, 2004, 01:52 AM
:eek:
Mark 'New Kid on the Block' Wahlberg as Lipton?
What a gaffe... my bad. (whatever that means)
:p :cool:

megatronrules
April 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
I to love anything to do with world war II and can't wait for BOB to come on next sunday. i think I may pick up the box set even after seeing it I diddn't see it when it originaly aired on HBO.

Redhat
April 3, 2004, 04:45 PM
This is also my favorite WWII movie ever (except maybe 12 O'Clock high). Most presentations of the WWII soldiers is that they were a bunch of uneducated hayseeds that were drafted, given a gun and sent to fight and somehow won out over the expertly trained German army. BOB really illustrated how well trained our men were. They weren't some bunch of know-nothings. There professionalism was outstanding. My Grandfather, told me he went through 17 weeks of basic training! Can you imagine that! And that was before he went to tanker school.

TCD
April 3, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yup, my grandfather served in a support role, but alas I was never able to meet him. I still have his hat though, and the greatest honor of all, I have his name.

I'm sure the situation was the same for most back then. Barely making a living on the famly farm during the depression and then having to go fight in the war. Came back and raised 5 very successful kids.

That was one hell of a war, and IMO, nearly all who participated, reguardless of nation or side, deserve my respect. What those men went through, I can only imagine.

seeker_two
April 4, 2004, 12:29 PM
Just watched the firs disc last night....

1. Schwimmer's character was a total :cuss: -hole. I gave him the benefit of the doubt at the beginning, but to see his total incompetence in the field...:fire: Glad he was transferred out. And I'm suprised that the NCO's took the stand they did w/ the Colonel. Myself, I'd have just kept quiet & waited until the next jump practice to cut his drag line...:evil: (Guess that's why I'd never make it in the military.)

2. The combat scenes were awesome. Kept me on edge through the entire show.

3. I don't see how they could have created a better cast of actors. Great job.

4. If Ross was the commanding officer, then Joey must have been in charge of developing the leg bags...:banghead:

5. Worst part: Before watching BOB, I had an interest in getting a M1 Garand & a M1 Carbine. Now, it's a full-blown itch that's gonna cost me a lot to "treat". :D

Gonna watch the second disc now. And hope my wallet survives my next trip to the gunstore...;)

They truly ARE the greatest generation....

ThreadKiller
April 8, 2004, 12:49 AM
Drove my truck to the range today and shot the Sig and the Ruger 22/45 at paper and showed signs of improvement.

Worked out tonight and watched BOB. The "Bastogne" episode.

Those guys did that so that I could drive my truck to the range, shoot my firearms and live free.

Is it any wonder my eyes get a little moist now and then while watching BOB?

Thanks guys!

Tim

BigG
April 8, 2004, 12:44 PM
I liked how the hardass lieutenant company commander in basic found out he couldn't practically navigate. So they promoted him to captain and made him an instructor. How like the army! :uhoh: :neener:

MrMurphy
April 8, 2004, 05:10 PM
I've got the book, and I'll look up the quote, but one of the NCOs said about Captain Sobel "it wasn't a question he'd never survive combat. If the Germans didn't get him, one of us would have in the first firefight." That's paraphrasing, but you get the idea. Somebody would have had an 8-round accidental discharge from his M1 you know?

chadintex
April 8, 2004, 11:56 PM
If I remember correctly, Capt. Sobel commited suicide after returning to the states and his own children didn't attend the funeral. It's been a while since I read the book.

I also remember many of E company saying Sobel's hard training was a main reason they survived combat.

Hedger
April 9, 2004, 01:26 AM
Yup, according to the book (which I just finished), Sobel shot himself but botched it and didn't die for some time. The interesting part is that one of the guys kept paying dues on Sobel's behalf to the 101 Association hoping he would get involved, which he never did. I think the photo of Sobel in the book tells the whole story about him... a guy who wasn't happy with himself and thus couldn't be happy with others.

The story in the book about Sobel that is the best is the "casualty training day" where Sobel was designated to be one of the casualties. They drugged him, gave him a shallow incision faking an appendectomy and sewed him back up.

A great read, I will have to catch the movie.

Ironbarr
April 9, 2004, 10:17 PM
Sun 4/11 thru Tue 4/20 - History Channel 9:00 PM repeat @ 1:00 AM

Exception:
4/18 Add: 10:15 PM
4/19 Add: 2:15 AM

Couple of shorties near the end.

Greatest, most realistic grunt work.

-IB

If you enjoyed reading about "Band of Brothers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!