$1000. to upgrade your reloading bench?

PDA

Wildbillz
November 8, 2013, 12:33 PM
Hi All
Lets say you had $1000.00 to upgrade your reloading bench/tools. I am currently loading on a Dillon 550B and an RCBS RockChucker. I have a RCBS 505 & 510 scale. All the Dies are RCBS or Dillon, I have all the calibers that I shoot and a few that I don't.

Primers and Powder are a given. So I am thinking of adding a Dillon electronic scale.

The more I look at the wet tumbling with SS pins the more I think that might be a good idea also?

I would also like to learn how to cast my own bullets. Is there a starter kit where you get the necessity's for this?

Thanks
WB

If you enjoyed reading about "$1000. to upgrade your reloading bench?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
howlnmad
November 8, 2013, 12:40 PM
If I had an extra $1000 to spend on the bench I think I would add a Hornady L-N-L AP press and a wet tumbling system with SS pins.

Swampman
November 8, 2013, 01:28 PM
If I had an extra $1000 to spend on my reloading bench, I'd probably spend it on bench weights, like bullets, powder and primers!

Seriously, the wet tumbling media looks like a great idea to me and I would've already gotten one if my wife hadn't gotten me a huge Dillon 2001 tumbler as a gift a year or so back.

This looks like a decent deal for a beginners casting setup, it's even on sale!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/277310/lyman-big-dipper-furnace-starter-kit

Arkansas Paul
November 8, 2013, 01:29 PM
I would also like to learn how to cast my own bullets. Is there a starter kit where you get the necessity's for this?

If you already have a Dillon 550 and a Rockchucker, I think buying casting equipment would be a great idea. There are kits available, that's how I started out. Here's the one I got.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/277310/lyman-big-dipper-furnace-starter-kit

I'm wanting a bottom pour pot now though, but they're not that expensive.
With $1k to spend, you could start off with that long enough to see if you like casting and upgrade to the nice Lyman or RCBS bottom pour if you do indeed get hooked like most of us do. Those are some nice pots.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/267665/lyman-mag-25-digital-melting-furnace-110-volt
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/209097/rcbs-pro-melt-furnace-110-volt

Oldgoat03
November 8, 2013, 01:40 PM
If I were in your shoes with the equip stated and $1000 to spend, I'd consider getting a case feeder flor the 550. Just my two cents.

Regardless enjoy shopping.

OG03

CB900F
November 8, 2013, 01:40 PM
Fella's;

This is interesting as next year I'll be moving & building a new bench. I secured a 12'6" length of bowling alley approach for the basic bench, it's rock maple, glued, pinned, and has angle iron underneath. But, it's a touch thin, only about 2.5". So I'm thinking about how to frame it & possibly/probably sub-layer it. I've already got the presses but given the extra grand would get another Dillon RL550B & have one for large & the other for small primers. Under the Rockchucker will be a steel pipe support just to make sure nothing flex's.

Then I'd probably buy an RCBS 10/10 scale & give my other beam scale to my son. After that another good powder measure. Then probably a couple of micrometer seating dies to compliment the ones I've got. If any's left over, that money will go to a 2X2 steel tube safe support & anchor.

900F

9w1911
November 8, 2013, 01:45 PM
casting is just plain fun, i love making all different types of boolits and if you can get lead cheap bingo!

I do not have an SS tumbler it is on the wish list.

Lee S. Forsberg
November 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
For me a Redding T7 press and components, powder, primers, and lead.

NeuseRvrRat
November 8, 2013, 07:18 PM
i'd add a Co-ax press. that's pretty much it.

gspn
November 8, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'd search the thread titled "show us a picture of your reloading bench" and I'd take some cool ideas from there. My bench is very utilitarian. It will never, EVER, win a beauty contest...but it does what i need it to do. I have neither the imagination nor the skill to make a really nice bench...but many guys here do as witnessed by some of the pics in that thread.

horsemen61
November 8, 2013, 07:24 PM
If it were me I'd upgrade my scale Make sure I had all the dies I needed for my LCT and I would get the press mounted powder drop right now I just have a stand alone powder measure and buy a spare of every part I needed

cowtownup
November 8, 2013, 07:29 PM
Dillon 650 or LNL progressive
5.56 dies
Small rifle primers
.224 bullets
H335 or AA2015 or something like that..

LOL...

CraigC
November 8, 2013, 07:44 PM
I've already got an RCBS Turret and Dillon 650. I'll be building a new bench in a couple months and plan to decorate it with some more blue stuff. Haven't decided which one but it will be at least one or two more presses. Time is money and I'd rather be shooting than loading or casting.

NeuseRvrRat
November 8, 2013, 08:39 PM
oh, i'd also add a second uniflow so i don't have to swap from the rifle to handgun drums

RetiredUSNChief
November 8, 2013, 08:42 PM
If I had an extre $1000, I'd wipe down the top of my reloading bench and pocket the money.

Maybe use it to finance one or two additional guns. Or not.

;)

frankenstein406
November 8, 2013, 08:47 PM
Sell the 550 and buy a auto indexing press, maybe a auto dispensing powder measure and scale like the pact

splattergun
November 8, 2013, 09:02 PM
personally, with 1K I would get a new pistol and the dies and bullet mould for it. Maybe a LCT if there were enough change left over.

tightgroup tiger
November 8, 2013, 10:18 PM
Sell the 550 and buy a auto indexing press,

Not to dis-agree with you but I would keep the 550b and buy a 650xl with the case feeder. With the single stage the OP already has, he would have a very complete setup that would handle most anything he'll need for a long time.

+1 on a good digital scale also. I wouldn't be without a good digital scale. Just don't get cheap on it.

As far as components goes, that's a good idea also, but I have resigned my self to the fact that I will be buying them the rest of my life anyways regardless. I'd go after the press right now.

Just my humble thoughts.

TT

CB900F
November 8, 2013, 10:43 PM
Fella's;

I agree with Tightgroup, I don't think I'd sell that 550. Add to it, oh yeah no problem, but I have no plans to get rid of mine under any circumstances.

900F

KansasSasquatch
November 8, 2013, 11:08 PM
Unless you shoot a ton of ammo and need to increase your output, no reason to buy a new press unless you just absolutely want it. It I were in your shoes I'd make sure I had all the components and other tools I want/need before buying another press. A Giraud (or similar) trimmer and a Dillon SS600 would be two of the first things that I would personally buy. Then I think I buy all the components and casting gear I want.

Mohave-Tec
November 9, 2013, 12:04 AM
I have a Lee Classic Turret Press and a Rockchucker. I also have 10 ratchet bushings and 30+ headed decapping pins, and every other wear item I would ever need for the rest of my days for any and all of my modest equipment. Spend the money making sure you can stay making ammunition. Spend the balance on components. For whatever it's worth, I don't have an electric anything on my bench. My focus and expenditures have been on making sure I never have to graze the Wal Mart ammo cabinets ever again! LOL.

burrhead
November 9, 2013, 12:19 AM
I've been reloading for 35+ years so I already have all the tools I'll ever need. Two benches, Hornady LnL AP, Rockchucker, RCBS RC, two trimmers, a file cabinet full of dies, on and on. I'd buy more components. That's money in the bank. Kind of would like a Giraud though.

Joatmon
November 9, 2013, 01:16 AM
It would be nice if that money could buy more room, now that would be handy! I dream of having a bench 3 times longer than what I have now. Don't really need any more gizmos or presses, I would probably go for a lot of jacketed bullets, maybe more brass too.

On second thought, a Casepro would be nice....

Nickb45
November 9, 2013, 02:03 AM
I just added a second 550b to my bench. I mostly load .45 and .223. The change over really doesn't bother me, but since I got an AR a few weeks ago I have been burning thru both calibers pretty fast. Now one is set up for small primer and one for large.

dickttx
November 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
This is interesting as next year I'll be moving & building a new bench. I secured a 12'6" length of bowling alley approach for the basic bench, it's rock maple, glued, pinned, and has angle iron underneath. But, it's a touch thin, only about 2.5". So I'm thinking about how to frame it & possibly/probably sub-layer it.

CB900F,
I don't think you will get any flex in that, even at 12 1/2 feet.

I bought three pieces, each four to five feet long, at a farm auction about 40 years ago. Gave $3 for the lot. I left one of them in a loading room I had built in a garage when we sold the house.
My dad ended up with the other two. I got the benches he had made after he passed away a couple of years ago. Great for a loading bench. 20" deep, so you don't fill it up with a lot of junk. This one he just mounted on a set of Craftman metal legs. I bolted a piece of 3/8 plywood across the front and a couple of 2x10's across the stringers on the bottom. It is plenty solid enough as is, but when I put a few thousand bullets on the 2x10's it is like a rock.
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b476/dickttx/Reloading/Hornady%20LnL%20AP%20Reloading%20Bench/P1010096_zpsc9508096.jpg (http://s1047.photobucket.com/user/dickttx/media/Reloading/Hornady%20LnL%20AP%20Reloading%20Bench/P1010096_zpsc9508096.jpg.html)

The other piece he used to build a heavy duty wooden bench, with drawers, storage, and an old time wood vise. I plan to use it to cast on. I believe all my casting gear will store in it.

2bfree
November 9, 2013, 04:38 PM
First would be the new Dillon calender for 2014, second a couple more powder drops and bars so I don't have to keep changing them. After that ? I am sure I could find a way to spend it ;)

flashhole
November 9, 2013, 05:58 PM
What was your question?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

CB900F
November 9, 2013, 07:56 PM
Such a puny bench! Couldn't even tune a pair of these-here new-fangled short skis on it iff'n ya had to!!

900F

Clark
November 11, 2013, 01:58 PM
I found out that the richest reloader I ever met, some guy who hunts Africa and the former Soviet Union, and has over 100 rentals in Seattle.... has twin co-ax presses.

I thought that must be to avoid the jaw swap process.

It was not long before I had two co-ax presses.

If you enjoyed reading about "$1000. to upgrade your reloading bench?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!