Got nice 6pt today


November 8, 2013, 06:04 PM
I've had a pretty rough go of it this deer season until today. Two weeks ago I spooked a nice buck because work was blowing my phone up and it was vibrating like a angry bee in my pocket. Due to the serious nature of what was going on I had couldn't just ignore the phone. As I was walking I pulled the phone out and at the moment a nice buck split out like greased lightining up over the ridge, to say I was infuriated would be a understatement.

Last week I went back to the very spot that I kicked up that buck. Sure enough right around 8:30 here he comes walking out of the swamp below, and up the ridge. I figured that he was going to keep going straight up the hill as there is a uncut corn field at the top. Nope he makes a left turn and walks a mere 30 yards in front of me. When he moved into a clear lane (or so I thought) I put the beads of the 20" barrel behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Much to my dismay he didn't hit the ground as they normally do. Instead he hunched up and startes to wheez and cough. Then he started to move so I tracked him with the beads and shot three more times. Before he bolted for a briar patch I could see that the first slug had hit him in front of the shoulder.

I waited about 20 minutes then waded into the briars after him. The blood trail was more like a highway than a trail. I got through the briar thicket and proceeded to follow the trail up a steep hill side. As I neared the top I noticed him bedded down but I couldn't get a clear shot at him as he went over the other side. I waited again before pushing on. I picked up the trail and the whole time I'm in disbelief as there is so much blood on the ground in front of me. I ended up following him down a draw accross a stream up the other side and into a small copse of spruce trees on nieghboring property. At this point i trailed him a 1/2 mile and I'm utterly upset with myself and trying to figure out what in the heck happened.

However not wanting to waste any time, I get out of there and over to the nieghbor that owns the posted property and inform him of what just happened. He and his son were more than happy to help try to recover the deer and away we went. His son posted up on the lower side of the spruce trees and he and i went to pick up the trail. I showed him where the deer entered then I took up a spot on the other side above his son. About an hour later he came out but no deer. The deer must have crossed the old overgrown seasonal road and entered a huge uncut cornfield At that point I was so disgusted i just went back to the house. During the week I ended buying a Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5x20mm scope, and had the gunsmith mount and zero it for me. This is the first time I've ever had someone else do this. But I just didn't have the time to do it myself.

Today I went back to the very same spot in hopes of seeing at least some does. After a few hours I picked up and started to still hunt the ridge on down to the end of the property line at the swamps edge. Not seeing anything I worked my way back to where I was earlier. Before I crossed the swamp to go back to the truck I started to investigate what exactly went wrong last week. I went to the exact spot I shot from and noticed exactly what happened. The slug edged a small sapling I didn't see through the shot of. The two susequent shots had also hit some small branched that went un-noticed in the heat of the moment. At this point I decided to work my way back accross the swamp over to where my friend put up a new stand. He told me that I could hunt from it if I wanted to, however I prefer to hunt from the ground. As I slowly worked my way to where his stand is I noticed a small doe about 20 yards to my left.

I got to his stand and didn't see much sign so I went to the house for some lunch. I left the house and arrived back out to the property about 12:20. This time I decided to work my way to my buddies stand first and sit for a little bit. As started in I noticed some fresh tracks, as I kept going in I noticed more sign of recent activity. I got to the stand looked around a bit then decided to hit the bleat can and grunt tube a couple times. As I'm standing there I thought I saw some movement about 30 yards away to my right in some really nasty thick stuff. I stood there waiting and I heard movement this time. So I moved to where I could get a better vantage point and possible shot. As I continue to stand there I hear foot steps in the water, this area is really thick and swampy. A few seconds later a nice appears doe about 25 yards away or closer, but I cant get a shot as it is so thick. The whole time I'm standing there I keep thinking that she will detect me before I can get a shot when I notice another deer coming behind her.

Trying to be still as possible I see the second deer has antlers as he begins to rub one of the many small spindly saplings. I couldn't believe this was unfolding in front of me and the deer are oblivious to the fact that I'm standing there only a few yards away. Eventually I noticed a small opening to shoot through. As soon as the buck put his head down to rub again I decided that was when I was going to shoot. He looked right at me then went right back to the small sapling, when I saw neck in the scope (I normally don't do neck/head shots) I squeezed the trigger and he hit the dirt instantly, well actually water. The Winchester Super X 12GA slug hit just behind and below the ear on his neck. When I got over to him that is when I noticed that my buck was a nice big bodied 6pt about 160 pounds. The drag out of the swamp was horrible but well worth it. Sorry no pictures of this one folks, soory for being so long winded.
If numbers killed I'd be hunting with a calculator

If you enjoyed reading about "Got nice 6pt today" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 8, 2013, 09:44 PM
Retirement is the answer to work phone calls. And, no pix, it didn't happen....just sayin', kiddin'. :D Congrats on turning the luck around.

November 8, 2013, 10:07 PM
Wow, great hunt!

November 8, 2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks fellas. I still can't get over the fact that the doe didn't alert when I raised the gun to shoot. sorry for all of the typos I was quite tired when I typed that out.

November 10, 2013, 09:52 AM
Just figured out how to upload pictures from my phone to photobucket:) Yeah I'm not a tech savy. Here it is sorry this is the only pic I took right after the shot, and it don't do the deer justice. (

November 10, 2013, 04:19 PM
In this area,its the peak of the rut.Maybe those deer were a little distracted.

November 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
Haha, just got off the phone with my buddy that helped me drag him out. He took a picture that does the deer much more justice than the one I took, here he is. (

November 11, 2013, 09:27 PM
That's a good sized buck! I've had a doe bust me before, let out a loud sound and booked, and I didn't see any more the rest of the morning.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got nice 6pt today" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!