What does the "T" mean on the s/n prefix of an 870 Wingmaster?

PDA

Bexar
November 10, 2013, 02:47 AM
It's a 1994 parkerized 2 3/4 inch cylinder choked gun.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "What does the "T" mean on the s/n prefix of an 870 Wingmaster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Virginian
November 10, 2013, 04:05 AM
Manufactured between 1974 and 1978. End of serial number should also be a 'V' if it is 2-3/4". They quit making 2-3/4" pumps well before 1994.

Bexar
November 10, 2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks...the barrel date code puts it @ 1977 then. It could have been 1994. It's mis-leading because the gun is in such good shape and clean. It's a "Police combat" type configuration so I didn't know if the "T" stood for tactical. Yes...it does have a "V" at the end of the numbers. It's interesting that the "V" almost looks like it was put there as an afterthought as the serial numbers and "T" looked rolled then at the end of the numbers the V looks slightly canted.

Thanks again.

Virginian
November 10, 2013, 10:22 AM
In my estimation, you have an excellent gun. A Wingmaster of any age that has been taken care of should outlive your grandchildren. I have zero "facts" to back it up, but I think the Parkerizing back then was better too.

AI&P Tactical
November 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
There should be no letter other then a V or M at the end of the serial numbers. If there is anything there other then that it was stamped on by the owner.

AI&P Tactical
November 10, 2013, 12:39 PM
The barrel could be pre '90s. It is certainly not an original configuration as the Wingmaster is Blued not parkerized so someone reworked the weapon. They could have simply put that old of a barrel on it. Happens all the time and is notorious with Departmental Trade Ins. This matters not unless you try to put a tube extension on it. You will then have to know the stand off distance for the barrel bracket. Modern barrels have a shorter stand off and the pre '90s barrels a longer one. Trying to use a modern bracket on a barrel you says is from the '70s will bind the tube up towards the barrel. Modern brackets have an X stamped in them and the pre '90s brackets do not. Many tube kits being sold out there come with the pre '90s brackets and cause a few headaches for buyers. It is a roll of the dice buying a Remington Tube Extension kit because of this unless you buy from Remington or a Remington dealer. At least when buying one from others ask the right questions about this and determine it will fit your weapon.

Virginian
November 10, 2013, 08:44 PM
Back then, all the 870s, even the Police Models, said Wingmaster on them. And the some of the late 80s Special Purpose Wingmaster guns were also Parkerized.
I don't get the stand off comment AI&P. What do you mean? Unless you are referring only to short tactical style barrels. I know brand new Light Contour barrels will fit the 60s and 70s Wingmasters perfectly, no problem.

marksg
November 10, 2013, 09:12 PM
I think he means if your putting an extension tube on it, the gap between the tube and the barrel is more on the pre-90s models.

Virginian
November 11, 2013, 06:06 AM
I got that much, but is it because the combat barrels are different or the magazine and/or magazine extension is different? The centerline between the barrel and the magazine tube hasn't changed so I'm trying to understand what has.

If you enjoyed reading about "What does the "T" mean on the s/n prefix of an 870 Wingmaster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!