Teddy Roosevelt's Suppressed 30-30!

PDA

yzguy87
November 19, 2013, 05:50 PM
Didn't know Teddy Roosevelt had a suppressed Winchester 94 and thought I'd post a link!

I did a quick search on here to make sure this hasn't been posted before and it hadn't so I thought I'd share! But just in case you already please knew excuse my ignorance:)

http://www.guns.com/2012/05/18/nra-national-firearms-museum-theodore-roosevelt-collection-suppressed-winchester-model-1894/

I was cruisin' the net and saw this and thought it was pretty sweet!
I did a little more searching just to make sure it was legit and sure enough it was!
As I was reading the article, I was thinking about what the general public's view on suppressors would be like today without the 1934 NFA... I would think that with influential people such as Teddy Roosevelt using them and without the restrictions they have because of the NFA they would have grown more in popularity and wouldn't be viewed as negatively by the misinformed public.

If you enjoyed reading about "Teddy Roosevelt's Suppressed 30-30!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Midwest
November 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
Good article, thanks for posting it. I see he had his home on Long Island and used the suppressor to be kind to his neighbors. Unfortunately, he wouldn't be able to do that in 2013, even if he had a tax stamp.

......"and decided to get one for use at home in Long Island."
Chiefly purposed for varminting on and around his property, Roosevelt had it modified and suppressed with a Maxim silencer, as to be kind to his neighbors."

yzguy87
November 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
If only people would realize that suppressors actually help people by reducing noise to more tolerable levels instead of completely "silencing" a gun so no one can hear it when used by a criminal:banghead:
I think suppressors were unjustly catagorised in '34.

It is also sad to see some of our nations most historically rich areas have some of the most unconstitutional laws. It would be interesting to see some of America's founding fathers here today and see what they have to say about what has become of the freedoms they bled and died for us all to have.

chriscw81
November 19, 2013, 09:03 PM
very cool article!! thanks for sharing!

bigfatdave
November 19, 2013, 09:08 PM
Very cool. Thanks for posting it.

NFA'34 is a giant plie of crap legislation, the opening of an era of malum prohibitum federal gun laws we're still harassed by to no actual public benefit.

Charger442
November 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
a little curious tid-bit in that article, but they allude to "the gun was likely chambered in 30-30". actually the proper name of the cartridge that rifle shot was .30 WCF. which would be why Ted called it his "Little .30" and it is most likely what is inscribed on the barrel of the gun as the caliber. but of course, you all know the name was changed to 30-30 for marketing reasons in the late 1800's.

smkummer
November 22, 2013, 04:34 PM
But that will most likely be after this administration. More and more "regular folks" are getting exposed to them.

rondog
November 22, 2013, 08:14 PM
Well now, that's interesting! Never seen a suppressed Winchester before!

SharpsDressedMan
November 23, 2013, 11:06 AM
I got to handle an unregistered (it was a family heirloom handed down from a guy to his grandson) Winchester 94 in .32 Special, with original Maxim silencer about 32 years ago. It was a takedown, like Teddy's, but had a fitted tan canvas case, made for the take down sections, and a pocket on the case for the silencer. Obviously as old as the gun and silencer, and I have never seen another like it. I never got to shoot it, but I have heard that the old Maxim cans were very effective, and you could see the iron sights over the eccentric style silencer. It had the same half magazine as the Roosevelt gun.

osprey176
November 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
Great article,my father in law has a very old Model 94 in 30 WCF,with a threaded barrel.Would be fun to shoot it suppressed.

yzguy87
November 26, 2013, 10:32 AM
"I got to handle an unregistered (it was a family heirloom handed down from a guy to his grandson) Winchester 94 in .32 Special, with original Maxim silencer about 32 years ago."
SharpsDressedMan, that's pretty cool!

Osprey176, do you know what the date of manufacture is on your fil's model 94? It would be interesting if it was made before the NFA! I can just imagine some old timer back in the day buying this 30 WCF and a suppressor from an old hardware store and having the rifle threaded for a suppressor without all the paper work the NFA created! Wouldn't that be nice to be able to do today!

If you enjoyed reading about "Teddy Roosevelt's Suppressed 30-30!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!