ground blind or climbing stand?

PDA

jrbaker90
November 21, 2013, 01:52 AM
I'm starting to hunt by myself for the first time and i I'm hunting on the ground because i don't have either one now so I'm thinking by turkey or deer of nexted year to have one so my question is which one? I'm mosty deer hunting with rifle/muzzleloader but i can only hunt on public land mosty nwr which is like a 15 min drive. which one would be better I'm in pretty thick woods and i have a lot of swamp around me too. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "ground blind or climbing stand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Muskyman
November 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
It depends. Climbing stands are great, but finding an ideal tree in an ideal spot is not always possible.

brainwake
November 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
Sounds like flat rough terrain. Getting up higher might allow you see a bit farther. But you should practice with a climber and be confident before you take it out hunting. I would probably ground hunt until you are more familiar with the area. Take note of where you hunt this first year and pay attention to the trees where a climber might serve you.

The problem with ground blinds is that deer are aware of their territory. They will spot a ground blind even if it is camo. Its a big object where one didn't used to be there. Now, if you could leave it there and allow them to get used to it....that is a different story. Since you're on public land, that's not really feasible.

Al lot of times, you can just find a big tree or bush to sit in front of, and use the natural background of the tree to serve as your blind.

jrdolall
November 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
Ground blind hunting is more challenging for sure. On public land I would be a bit scared of it because of all the....other hunters that might come wondering through and shoot at movement.
I have done a lot of ground hunting with archery equipment but prefer to get up in a tree. Having to carry a climber in and out of the woods every time you hunt does get to be a pain though.

MCgunner
November 21, 2013, 10:44 AM
It depends. Climbing stands are great, but finding an ideal tree in an ideal spot is not always possible.

Especially in post oaks. :rolleyes: Climbing stands are useless here. Over in east Texas where they have nice, straight pine trees, maybe, but I'm sorta scared of climbing stands, anyway. Good way to get paralyzed for life and never hunt again. I'm not nearly as athletic as I once was.

627PCFan
November 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
Keep an extra orange vest with you and tie it to the roof of the blind. Also dont hunt with idiots in the vicinity.

jrbaker90
November 21, 2013, 10:55 AM
My thing is like muskyman said i don't know if i can find a tree big enough for one is the problem and to get to where the big deer is that i need to get farther back and that's like 1 mile there about. One problem i have with a climbing stand is I'm really scary of heights so idk if i could get up high enough to take advantage of it thanks

Loyalist Dave
November 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
I have hunted for many years from a "ground blind". I get venison every year. First, you don't have to necessarily carry a blind with you. My blinds are in areas of brush where I can sit with my outline broken up by the surrounding foliage. The archer that hunts on one of the farms where I hunt puts his pop-up blind in place two weeks before he hunts. Even simply standing in a tight group of trees with large diameter will help to conceal you from the deer. Whether you are in a blind or not, if you are stationary, and have a large tree or a big bush behind you, it's a good idea to put a spare piece of blaze orange on the opposite side of the tree/brush. Even in a tree stand, except in a very level area, while you might be 10' off the ground, the hunter on the ridgeline might be level with you or even above you, and you might consider marking the spot.

As for not hunting with idiots in the vicinity..., in a public area you may not know there is an idiot near you until he chucks a shot in your direction... I prefer to mark my area in a 360 degree fashion.

LD

243winxb
November 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
Falling out of a ground blind doesnt do as much damage as a tree stand.

rondog
November 21, 2013, 02:15 PM
NWIH I'd be climbing up any trees, so ground blind all the way, but that's just me.

Captcurt
November 21, 2013, 02:47 PM
I spend 90% of my time in a tree, but a lot depends on Terrain. I have seen times when the understory rules out ground blinds. On the otherhand I have seen the opposite when foliage blocked out visibility when I got 10' up. It all depends on location and the specific conditions at the time.

BTW I am 62 years old and I still climb trees.

Redlg155
November 21, 2013, 05:18 PM
Don't discount the ladder stand. These can be great when hunting areas that are naturally forested and offer more tree options. A 10 foot stand in a scrub oak or cedar can be just the ticket for many areas. The downside is that ladder stands aren't as portable and can be heavy. Still, a 10-12 foot stand can be moved without too much trouble. Prior scouting is the key.

On the flip side, I knew a older gentleman who would just carry a 5 gallon bucket with a padded seat attached. Everything he needed was in the bucket, including lunch. He never failed to kill several deer each season by just sitting still in a likely location.

rondog
November 21, 2013, 05:24 PM
A ladder stand on private land, I'd do that. Any kind of solid, secure elevated platform I'm good with. But something clamped on a tree, I'd kill myself on it!

Patocazador
November 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
You definitely need a climbing stand for portability purposes and success ratio but sometime nothing but a ground blind works. You can build a pretty effective ground blind with natural materials but a small light ground blind is real nice in the rain.

Buy both. You will wind up doing so anyway. :D

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll33/docjawbraker/24ftupinCabbageweb_zpsde0d0a4b.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/docjawbraker/media/24ftupinCabbageweb_zpsde0d0a4b.jpg.html)

27hand
November 21, 2013, 08:07 PM
I have never archery hunted from the ground. I just move too much.

At 64, I can still get up and down fairly well.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Shooting%20hunting%20pics/ResizedImage_1381357193026_zps78ef34be.jpg (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/poofy27/media/Shooting%20hunting%20pics/ResizedImage_1381357193026_zps78ef34be.jpg.html)

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Shooting%20hunting%20pics/100_0449_zpsbb7ef128.jpg (http://s94.photobucket.com/user/poofy27/media/Shooting%20hunting%20pics/100_0449_zpsbb7ef128.jpg.html)

Wolfgang james
November 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
I use both and like both in there proper places. As long as you have a fairly straight tree with slow taper an aluminum climber is great, a 40+ lb steel stand is no fun to carry more then a 1/4mi. I have had deer pick me out in both a stand and a pop-up blind but they looked at the blind as they walked within 5yds so i feel they see it but not as a threat. If the under growth is as thick as some of my woods I can only see 15yds from a blind and 70+ from my stand. I would pre scout a spot and look around and determine if sitting will give you enough shooting lane or if there is a good tree to get up. Another thought what about a hang on stand and strap on steps?

jrdolall
November 21, 2013, 09:40 PM
No reason to be afraid of a quality climber. I have had them that are virtually impossible to fall out of as long as they are used properly. Ladder stands probably account for a lot more injuries but I imagine a lot more people use them.
The biggest danger in a ground blind is when a deer or turkey sneaks up behind you and busts you from about 5 yards. Sheer heart attack to be blown at from that distance.

jrbaker90
November 22, 2013, 01:37 PM
One reason I'm hunting there is because its a old levee road that was built in the civil war goin though there and it gives me some height. I saw several places to set up a ground blind at on that levee. which type of ground blind is better the box one or the pop up one.

ldlfh7
November 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
I prefer ground hunting. If I am not getting any action after some time it is a lot easier to relocate without having to climb out of a stand. I get bored sitting in one spot for too long...especially if its cold out.

jim in Anchorage
November 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
For 20 years I just built tree stands out of 2x4s in 3 close oaks. Got a little creepy when the wind blew the trees it was nailed to in different directions and I could hear the nails groaning but they never broke. I was just using it as a foot rest anyway, sitting on one of those strap to the tree seats just above it. Never got bored or thought to move it because from extensive pre season scouting I knew I was in in the spot I wanted.

OrangePwrx9
November 26, 2013, 01:39 AM
I've used both ladder stands and ground blinds with good success. As I've gotten older, the ground blinds are much preferred. The better blinds allow you to hunt comfortably in rainy weather.

I hunt on my own land and set the blinds (4 this year) out a couple weeks before the season starts. The deer get used to them and when the season starts, I rotate between the blinds depending on the wind and deer movement.

Flintknapper
November 30, 2013, 10:26 PM
Falling out of a ground blind doesnt do as much damage as a tree stand.

^^^^^^^^^

No question about that!

My Daughter is an RN and works in ICU. She was telling me just yesterday about a guy that fell from a small tree stand, broke his back and injured his spine so badly that he will never walk again.

There are tons of safety apparatus (harnesses, etc) on the market today. If you hunt from any elevated and NON-ENCLOSED structure, get a safety belt/harness and WEAR IT!

WayBeau
December 1, 2013, 09:03 AM
If you go the climber route, PLEASE wear a harness. Even if it's the one that comes with the stand, it's better than nothing if the stand pulls free of the tree. And make sure someone knows exactly where you are and when to expect you back. Even though you don't hit the ground there is the issue of suspension trauma from hanging.

Not trying to scare you away from a climber, just pointing out a few things to think about when making your decision. I've read too many posts about people falling from trees. Example, the young man who recently chose to be removed from life support after falling out of his treestand.

jrbaker90
December 1, 2013, 01:08 PM
Oh i differently planning on wearing a harness. my only problem with a ground blind is i won't be able to see see because its so thick where i hunt at but i ground blind more comfortable and if i can get my half brother to go we could in the blind.

WaywardSon
December 3, 2013, 09:55 AM
I've built and hunted out of a number of tree stands over the years...they work well and can be pretty comfortable with good protection from the elements. However my preferred method is still hunting on the ground, and I am lucky to be able to do that on the property I hunt. If I see another hunter, he is trespassing.

That said, I now do what an earlier poster mentioned. I carry in a 5 gal. bucket that has a camo cover and a padded seat:D Got everything I need in it to get me through the day. A blind is not necessary, nor is camo gear...but being in the right place is a requirement. Sit down...shut up...be still.

KC45
December 3, 2013, 01:50 PM
I occasionally use portable ground blinds as in some location it's the only choice. I like to pack light so I use one of those umbrella type blind. It's tall enough to hind a sitting person and give you very good view all around but very light and small when folded. I usually use it in front of a large tree so I get my back covered from stray shot.

Inebriated
December 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
I hate heights, so... I'm all about the ground blind.

Might try the 5 gal. bucket and padded seat idea, though.

brainwake
December 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
LOL..we have a few buckets scattered around so no need to carry them. There is this one bucket that is so old and hasn't moved that it is concave and fits the buns nicely. It is quite a nice place to hunt to not have sharp rocks to sit on.

mnhntr
December 5, 2013, 12:17 AM
I prefer a lock on stand and climbing sticks. It allows you to use crooked trees and or other trees a climber wont work on. I can also get a lot higher. I use a blind for turkey and deer but only when hunting with my kids. The bad thing about a blind is limited field of view.

Vol46
December 5, 2013, 10:56 AM
Climbing stand. I have killed over a hundred deer with bow & gun, almost all from tree stands. They get you up where you can see better, they get you above the deers line of sight ( although deer are " learning " to look up over the years, & you still have to watch your movement - used to be you could sit 8 feet up on an open telephone pole & they would walk right under you) so you can draw a bow or raise a rifle without spooking the deer, and they keep you in one place long enough to allow the woods to settle down & give you an actual chance of seeing critters. The earlier poster who cannot stand to stay too long in one spot is a lot like me when I am on the ground - the spot just over the next rise always looks like it would be better after you sit for a half hour or so without seeing anything, but you will spook a lot of deer moving from place to place. I am 67 & still climb trees to hunt, I just do it more slowly & carefully than I used to.
Position yourself on the shady side of the tree & in a place with adjacent trees, limbs or leaves to break up your outline.

jrbaker90
December 8, 2013, 11:14 PM
On a ground blind with on is better a box type or like a ameristep outhouse thanks

rondog
December 9, 2013, 03:47 PM
Show me a tree stand like THIS one, and I'm in! I don't think I could fall out of this....

T.R.
December 9, 2013, 04:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of my API Grand Slam climbing tree stand:
- built with safety in mind
- relatively light backpack style carry
- all day seating comfort

TR

If you enjoyed reading about "ground blind or climbing stand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!