Long NFA Trust name on SBR lower -- can I abbreviate?

PDA

PorkChopsMmm
November 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
I made the mistake when forming my trust of making the name too long. It is something like "John Smith and Mary Smith Revocable Living Trust". I would like to abbreviate it to something like "J. Smith & M. Smith RLT" for engraving purposes. Sounds good? I know the City and State need to be added as well. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long NFA Trust name on SBR lower -- can I abbreviate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClickClickD'oh
November 21, 2013, 11:03 AM
Nope. Exact name of the trust as it appears on the trust documents.

PorkChopsMmm
November 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
Ugh. That stinks. I should have thought about that beforehand.

dennis1984
November 21, 2013, 11:15 AM
I did too. BUT I called the BFA and they said it will NOT be accepted if abbreviated. If your trust is the JOHN Smith trust....it is NOT the same as J SMith and J smith will NOT be accepted.
Mine is 16 letters NOT including 'revocable living trust"

My idiot mistake costs me 3 lines.

ALSO you cannot OMIT "REVOCABLE LIVING" trust. Just John Smith Trust will also not work.

PorkChopsMmm
November 21, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the help!

Arizona_Mike
November 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
By law they are supposed to and they do let big gun manufactures abbreviate.

Because of the BS going on with abbreviations I did the following:

Part 1. Trust Name
This revokable living trust shall be known as the XXXXXXXXX RLT.

So the legal name is already the abbreviations.

Mike

PS. Avoid Welsh trust names :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taUJDmajoaY

Aaron Baker
November 21, 2013, 11:41 PM
By default, all of my client's trusts are named Lastname Firearm Trust unless they specify differently.

Saves a lot of engraving and is just one benefit of getting advice from a trust lawyer familiar with the NFA laws. ;)

Aaron

medalguy
November 22, 2013, 08:10 PM
My attorney wrote my trust and he suggested using the name "XYZ Trust" which I did.

Willie Sutton
November 22, 2013, 09:32 PM
Mine is "In God We" :neener:

Really.

Willie

MudMarine
November 22, 2013, 10:14 PM
What's the big deal? The name of my trust is only on the first page and the first page isn't signed or notarized.

Telekinesis
November 22, 2013, 10:25 PM
What's the big deal? The name of my trust is only on the first page and the first page isn't signed or notarized.

But the name of the trust IS on your form 1 or form 4, which means if you change the name of your trust, your documents no longer match. Not a good thing if you're trying to explain to a cop why a gun registered to ABC Trust is being used by XYZ Trust.

Aaron Baker
November 23, 2013, 10:19 AM
If your trust name is super long and you haven't applied for a tax stamp yet, you can still change it. But technically, you're creating an entirely new trust--a trust's name is one of the only things that cannot be changed.

As Telekinesis says, once you've submitted a tax stamp application, you can't change the name of your trust. You'd have a trust with one name and a tax stamp approved under a different name. You can have multiple trusts, but that's also awkward.

Pick a good name up front and don't play any games with the NFA branch.

Aaron

If you enjoyed reading about "Long NFA Trust name on SBR lower -- can I abbreviate?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!