Are certain calibers more prone to setback?

PDA

Drjones
March 27, 2004, 06:56 PM
I think I may have heard that the .40 is more prone to setback than other rounds.

1) Is this true?

2) Are certain calibers more prone to setback than others?

3) A reminder to frequently check your carry ammo for setback! I know for a fact that even a fraction of a mm causes an ]b]exponential[/b] increase in case pressure in .40 cal ammo. I once saw a chart on this, and it was scary. :uhoh:

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Are certain calibers more prone to setback?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Preacherman
March 27, 2004, 09:44 PM
Speaking only from personal experience, yes, I have noticed more of a bullet setback problem with .40 S&W rounds than with other calibers. As a result, I won't cycle my carry ammo through the action of my pistols more than 2-3 times before retiring that/those round(s) for my next range session. I haven't noticed anything like as bad a problem in 9mm. or .45.

dukeofurl
March 27, 2004, 10:23 PM
357 sig is notorious for setback

Telperion
March 27, 2004, 10:38 PM
357 sig is notorious for setback

NOT if properly loaded.
357 Sig Safety & Reloading FAQ (http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/357.safety.reload.htm)

JohnKSa
March 27, 2004, 11:28 PM
Aluminum cased rounds tend to have more setback problems.
Reloads can set back excessively due to inadequate/improper crimps.
Heavy recoil can cause set back to be more of an issue in some calibers.

BUT, the main problem with the .40 isn't that it is more prone to set back (it may be, but I don't really see why that would be the case). The problem is that when it DOES set back, particularly in the 180 grain loadings, the pressure goes up dramatically with only relatively small amounts of setback.

GigaBuist
March 27, 2004, 11:38 PM
Preacherman, or anybody else really,

How often do you unload your carry weapon? Every night upon returning home? Almost never? Is there anything "wrong" with leaving a weapon chambered for lengthty periods of time?

Also, what system do you use to keep track of how many times a particular carry round has been chambered and unchambered?

Sorry for being nosey -- just seems like whatever it is you're doing is a good idea.

Preacherman
March 27, 2004, 11:44 PM
I tend to leave my carry pistol with a chambered round. If I ever clear it, I simply make a mental note. I haven't found it difficult to remember to discard the top round after two or three chamberings.

About every week to ten days, I'll field-strip and clean my carry gun. At that time, whether or not I've previously cycled the action, I tend to discard the chambered round into my "range-only" box, just in case any lubricant or other contaminant has managed to get at it. (Never happened so far, but I'm a careful type! :D ) So, whether or not it's been re-chambered, every week to ten days, I have a new round in the chamber.

Works for me...

Drjones
March 28, 2004, 12:36 AM
How often do you unload your carry weapon? Every night upon returning home? Almost never? Is there anything "wrong" with leaving a weapon chambered for lengthty periods of time?

Also, what system do you use to keep track of how many times a particular carry round has been chambered and unchambered?

Sorry for being nosey -- just seems like whatever it is you're doing is a good idea.

The only stupid question is the one not asked, especially when lives are on the line as with firearms. :)

I unload carry weapons only when I clean them, which varies; sometimes once a week, sometimes more.

I do not really keep track of how many times a round has been cycled, though I should for my .40. I do, however, periodically compare the cycled rounds to rounds lower down in the mag, looking for setback.

This reminds me yet again that the rounds in my .40 are looooooooong overdue for a changin'. :uhoh:

only1asterisk
March 28, 2004, 01:09 AM
Bottleneck pistol rounds are THE worst offenders, but setback can happen to any semi auto (or even pump or lever actions). I've seen setback in a 45/70 when experimenting with crimp and in several big bore bolt guns from recoil (even with a half-decent roll crimp).

David

dukeofurl
March 30, 2004, 07:47 PM
I dont load my own 357 sig, and everything I've seen from CCI/Speer has pretty significant setback after 3 chamberings.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are certain calibers more prone to setback?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!