Reworking old ammo

PDA

jeeptim
November 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
So I made a trade for a Mauser and 300+ rounds, rifle is o.k. and the guy I got from was good enough to tell me he shot 30 or so rounds all click.....bang.
So this is my thinking its 8mm the primers must be going off, so I took a dozen apart powder looked like chunky black pistol powder dumped that on the lawn.then made three batches of four 30, 35, 40gr of IMR 4064 and reseated. Wont have a chance to give it a shot until sunday. Anybody here try this with any luck?
Am I in for a big let down? Now I would have reprimed but burdan and it seems a waste to toss it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reworking old ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sexybeast
November 22, 2013, 10:31 PM
I would do it without hesitation. I do it many times with pistol and .223 and 308. I was given a big bucket full of reloaded ammo. I'm not shooting someone elses loads so I pulled them, added my own load and reloaded them. Of course I weigh the bullets and load them to specs. No problems. Great for practice and some sacrificial rounds for sighting in.

rcmodel
November 22, 2013, 10:37 PM
then made three batches of four 30, 35, 40gr of IMR 4064 and reseated.

You failed to state the bullet weight.

But, 30 grains of IMR-4064 is 5.0 under the starting load with even a 220 grain bullet.
And 46.0 is a starting load with a 150 grain bullet

Where exactly did you come up with those powder charge weights anyway??

At any rate, I'd suggest you pull them again, and start over with safe published loads for the bullet weight you are using.

Nothing wrong with 'Mexican Match' reloading.
But please use some published load data before you do it.

rc

clearcut
November 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
If the primers are good they should work I don't know about the powder loads. bullet, wt.makes a difference check loading books !! Old primers might be corrosive so you may want to clean the rifle soon after shooting .don't forget your eyes and ears!!
CC

jeeptim
November 22, 2013, 10:43 PM
The bullets weigh in at 197.5 gr consistly airing on the side of safety thought I would run on the lower end of my old lymann manual.

savanahsdad
November 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
I would have tried a few empty cases to see if primers were ok before I started working up any loads , I have done this with 7.62X39 ,nothing wrong with them , just wanted to pull the FMJ's and load up some hunting rounds ,

SlamFire1
November 22, 2013, 11:05 PM
So I made a trade for a Mauser and 300+ rounds, rifle is o.k. and the guy I got from was good enough to tell me he shot 30 or so rounds all click.....bang.
So this is my thinking its 8mm the primers must be going off, so I took a dozen apart powder looked like chunky black pistol powder dumped that on the lawn.then made three batches of four 30, 35, 40gr of IMR 4064 and reseated. Wont have a chance to give it a shot until sunday. Anybody here try this with any luck?
Am I in for a big let down? Now I would have reprimed but burdan and it seems a waste to toss it.

It is very fortunate that you pulled the powder as the physical description you gave of the gunpowder reads very much as deteriorated gunpowder. Gummy, clumpy gunpowder is way beyond a safe shelf life and if the stuff had gone off pressures would have been so high as to blow up the rifle. Gunpowder does not fail safe through age, fire enough old deteriorated ammunition and one round will pressure spike through burn rate instability.

I was unable to determine through your description what your function concern was about the ammunition. Was it having hangfires? Given time the old chlorate primers do dud out. If you put in new gunpowder and the primer is a dud, you will have a big non event.

If the brass is not pitted through by the action of nitric acid gas release from old gunpowder, and if the primers all go bang, the brass can be used but there is still some risk. Be aware that if you see case neck or brass splits, stop shooting the brass. When gunpowder deteriorates, the acid gas attacks the brass, and you donít want old deteriorated brass splitting through the case head. It is better to be safe than sorry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Blowups/75Swisssplitcasehead.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlamFire/media/Blowups/75Swisssplitcasehead.jpg.html)

If you enjoyed reading about "Reworking old ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!