Today I was showing someone several pistols

PDA

jrdolall
November 25, 2013, 04:35 PM
prior to giving a lesson. As I was loading a couple of mags I found that I had put a .380 round into a 9mm magazine, WHOOPS!
The mag never made it into a firearm but I was wondering what might happen if it had been. Would it feed or would the size cause it to FTF?

If you enjoyed reading about "Today I was showing someone several pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Got_Lead?
November 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
Don't feel too bad, I loaded a .222 in my AR magazine. Then reloaded it into the chamber a time or two more when it wouldn't fire.

ritepath
November 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
I tried a 380 snap cap just now in my Shield, it appears that it seats too deep for the firing pin to hit the primer.

oneounceload
November 25, 2013, 09:08 PM
That should have become a teaching moment as to how you can never be too careful and that even experienced folks can have a WHOOPS moment. Never waste a good teaching moment, especially when it can be safety related

Havok7416
November 26, 2013, 02:01 AM
It may have fired but the bullets are the same diameter and nothing catastrophic would have likely resulted. If it did chamber properly, the extractor would have been holding it in place. I don't have any .380 handy so I can't check myself.

GRIZ22
November 26, 2013, 02:14 AM
As long as the extractor catches the rim it will fire but not cycle the slide. I've seen this done. Nothing catastrophic.

Ironman615
November 26, 2013, 02:15 AM
I suspect you might end up with a ruptured case. Obviously it would not headspace correctly. The extractor might hold the .380 case tight enough for the firing pin to fire it. Definitely not something to try intentionally!

herrwalther
November 26, 2013, 02:31 AM
I was talking to the gunsmith at a gun store I frequent who was on the phone with a panicked customer about accidentally putting in a .243 round in his 7mm Mag and firing. Thankfully all that ended up was a broken magazine and wounded pride.

I think a .380 would fire in a 9mm but would not be very accurate. Will probably fail to extract and be a split case.

David E
November 26, 2013, 02:44 AM
It'll chamber, fire and jam. Haven't seen a case split.

jenrob
November 26, 2013, 04:51 AM
I Have Put A 40s&W In A 45 Acp The Bullet Key Holed And The Case Split. Had A Gunsmith Put A 9Mm In A Xdm40 Same Thing Happened.

Lucky Derby
November 26, 2013, 08:04 AM
In most pistols it would feed, fire, jam. In some it may not feed.
Your not going to blow anything up firing a short, underpowered (for the gun) round.

I have seen a Glock 22 (.40) fire two full mags of 9mm. accuracy was nonexistant, and the casings were well ballooned, but the darn thing cycled.
And no, I am not recommending this.

mgmorden
November 26, 2013, 10:11 AM
I've did this on a Ruger P95 before. My result was that it fed fine, and fired, but it didn't eject properly (not enough power).

I end up with a lot of .380 cases mixed in with 9mm brass when reloading too, but it has a distinctly different feel going into the resizing die that let me find them 99% of the time.

Roadkill
November 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
When I fired an 8mm in a 30-06 gun I figured it was time to pay attention. Have really been careful about keeping different guns and ammo apart. One gun on line, one ammo. Put it all away before getting out the next one.

LeftyTSGC
November 27, 2013, 07:54 PM
Saw the same thing at the last IDPA match. Heard Pow-Pow-Pow-pop-Pow. a 9mm got into the 40cal mag, as mentioned it fired, cycled just bad accuracy and ballooned the brass, looked liked a reverse .357.

ColtPythonElite
November 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
I saw a guy shoot most of a mag of 9mm thru a .40. It would jam every shot. He would clear and try again.

Esoxchaser
November 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hate to admit it, but I ran a .380 through my 9MM once many years ago. As stated it chambered, fired and failed to cycle the pistol. I racked it manually, it ejected. Pistol was fine. I had learned my lesson, I never have .380 and 9mm on the same bench at once.

JRWhit
November 27, 2013, 08:14 PM
I have fired a 9mm in a 40 before,"accidentally".
Just as the others have said it had a puny report and slit the case.
Weird thing is that it was mixed in a Win white box and had come from the store shelf that way. At the time all I had with me was the 40 cal and two new boxes of WWB. I skimmed right passed it and never noticed till it fired. Lesson learned, pay attention even to factory ammo.

snapshot762
November 27, 2013, 08:15 PM
Don't feel too bad, I loaded a .222 in my AR magazine. Then reloaded it into the chamber a time or two more when it wouldn't fire.
Been there, done that!

If you enjoyed reading about "Today I was showing someone several pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!