Ammo for 6.5 Swede

PDA

ExAgoradzo
November 25, 2013, 11:30 PM
I have a Sako 6.5 x 55

I am considering the PRVI Ammo 139 gr. Is this good ammo? It is $.85/per
The Sellier and Belliot is $1.10 Is that any good?

I am interested in accuracy obviously, generally as I know it depends on the rifle. Experience?

I have some materials for reloads coming, but until I get those components, I need some ammo.

Thanks,
Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo for 6.5 Swede" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LAGS
November 26, 2013, 12:01 AM
If you are going to reload, then consider the Quality of the cases you buy.
I dont have any real experience in the 6.5 ammo, but I use the S&B and Prvi in my Mosin Nagants.
The S&B seem to be a better case for reloading IMO.
But if you want really good brass that lasts, look into the Norma.
I have reloaded Norma cases OVER 20 times with reasonable loads, and have never had a case split.
The Prvi with the same loading, They go about 10 reloads, and the S&B about 15 reloads.

If you are shooting cast lead bullets, I don't think you will ever wear out any of the cases.

Water-Man
November 26, 2013, 12:28 AM
I like Lapua brass.

I have the following Lapua loaded ammo:

. 108 gr. HPBT
. 139 gr. HPBT
. 155 gr. SP

captmoto
November 26, 2013, 01:17 AM
Several online sources sell Prvi for 12.99-13.99. Sometimes you can find free shipping too. I've used it and reloaded the brass and it seemed pretty consistent going down range from my sporterized Swede. It seems pretty good and has the correct size case head that Winchester and Remington don't. I don't see it as a real issue but it's nice to see that little detail.

viking499
November 26, 2013, 06:51 AM
I shoot a lot of Wolf Gold 6.5 ammo. I think it is very good for the price. I also heard it was the same or similar to the PRVI ammo.

SlamFire1
November 26, 2013, 11:37 AM
I have shot both brands in other calibers, the ammunition is only good for the brass case. My ammunition was underloaded and the bullets were not that accurate.

However once loaded with good powder and good bullets, the stuff shot well.

vaupet
November 26, 2013, 11:59 AM
I have prvi and s&b in most calibers i shoot including 6.5 x 55.
I like the s&b fmj in the 50 rnds bulk pack much better then prvi.

Have fun
P

ldlfh7
November 26, 2013, 12:27 PM
I shoot both out of my 8mm Mauser and like them both. The S&B brass is a little larger diameter than the recommended shell holder which can make reloading a pain but the Prvi seems to be sized correctly.

oldcelt
November 26, 2013, 01:33 PM
I watched a friend shoot his new cz sweede 6.5 and privi 139 gr. fmj, 5 shots one hole at 100 yds. I think it is good ammo. What more can you ask?

Ironman615
November 26, 2013, 04:40 PM
I really like the 6.5 x 55, and I would rank brass with Lapua as the best, then Norma, S&B, and Privi. I can't really say I've been disappointed with any of them. I have not tried any Winchester or Remington, so I can't comment on them. The only problem I've had was with factory loads of Federal Fusion. The primers set back on those, so I pulled the bullets, put my powder in the cases, and replaced the bullets. They shot fine after that, so the brass was not the problem.

cdb1
November 27, 2013, 03:37 AM
I shot the PRVI 139 grain 6.5x55 in my CZ for a couple of years and kept all the brass. It was very accurate but the velocity seemed pretty slow. Started reloadinging six months ago using the PRVI brass. Don't have a chrono but my reloads all hit 3-4 inches higher at 100 yards.

NeuseRvrRat
November 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
the prvi ammo is probably loaded on the lighter side to ensure safety in the swedish mausers. in modern actions, you can go significantly hotter/faster. seems that most manuals have a section for the swedish mausers and one for modern rifles.

tahunua001
November 27, 2013, 07:09 PM
for those prices you may as well just buy federal powershoks.

shootr
November 27, 2013, 10:43 PM
I bought a few hundred Rem cases many years ago, worked up a couple loads and have been shooting them since. My 140 grain Gamepoint load and my 120 grain NBT will shoot cloverleafs at 100 off the bench. Cases don't seem to stretch much at all and I've had no issues with signs of wear or pressure. IME, 6.5X55 is a sweet shooting, mild pressure, accurate killer. Get whatever decent brass you get a good price on, work up a couple loads and have at it.

viking499
November 27, 2013, 10:45 PM
Shootr, what rifle are you shooting the Remington brass in?

2ndtimer
November 27, 2013, 11:26 PM
I have shot some of the Prvi ammo in a not overly accurate Howa 1500 and it shoots okay, around 2 inches or so at 100 yards off the bench. I think the brass is just fine. I like it enough that I ordered 100 of their unfired cases in .270 Win for my Marlin X7, As for the comment about buying Federal Power Shoks, I would like to know where you can the Power Shoks or any of the other US ammo for $17 a box of 20. Everywhere I have seen it is more like $30 a box or more. For the money, The Prvi 139 gr SP ammo is good enough, and the brass is just fine for reloading, too. I tried some of the Herters ammo from Cabelas and IME, the Prvi shoots better, at least in my rifle. The velocity is a little low, but comparable to the Federal Power Shok ammo over my chrono. Both run in the mid 2300 fps out of my 22" Howa with the long throat.

Uncle Mike
November 28, 2013, 01:00 AM
If it's accurate factory ammo your after, the Hornady stuff in that caliber has shot under 3/4" out of both my Swedes. While more costly than the PRV and S&B it does lend to excellant accuracy.
Sakos tend to be ammo sensative, especially the 'newer' ones, but if they shoot, they do it well!
I would try a couple boxes of the Hornady fodder, say the 'Superformance' 140gr SST P/N 85507 box of 20.

ExAgoradzo
November 28, 2013, 01:18 AM
Looking about I did find the ammo cheaper.
I also like the advice on the Superformance. I didn't buy any of that b/c it seemed hard for me to spend that much when my gov won't let me use it to shoot Bambi's dad (or anything else) with it (b/c they only sell it in the SST, not the GMX).
Love the comments so far.

Thanks guys,
Greg

Swampman
November 28, 2013, 02:16 AM
I've had far better luck with Privi Partizan brass than I've ever had with S&B. The cases are more consistent between different lots and the primer pockets are sized properly for American primers where the S&B pockets always seem too small.

My personal favorite these days is Swedish military brass from wood bullet blanks. They're available from SAMCO as cheap as 3.9 cents per round when purchased in quantity.

Swedish blanks were made from the fired cases of military ammo, the Swedes would collect the fired cases, anneal 'em, size 'em, fill 'em with fast burning shotgun powder and seat a wooden bullet on top.

To reload the cases is as simple as pulling the bullet with a pair of pliers, dumping the powder and then neck sizing.
After that, you just load as usual.

If you want clean shiny ammo, I suggest tumbling the blanks before you pull the bullets, but it's not really necessary.

It may just be luck, but of the three cases of blanks I've opened, all had identical headstamps. They are of course, Berdan primed, but they take the currently available .217 Tula 7.62N, NATO primers.

Even if you don't want to get into repriming the Berdan cases, it doesn't matter since the cost of the primed cases is pretty much the same as Large Rifle primers alone!

ExAgoradzo
November 28, 2013, 08:58 PM
Good tip swampman! I'll check that out.
Greg

shootr
November 29, 2013, 12:21 AM
A sporterized M 38.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo for 6.5 Swede" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!