New Glock Model 42

PDA

Captains1911
November 26, 2013, 07:57 PM
Looks like Glock is teasing a new model, the Glock 42, to be released next year. Finally a single stack 9mm perhaps?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/347B3C12-88C5-4394-A4B9-2DF42089F9F9_zps3lmagcgc.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock Model 42" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SharpsDressedMan
November 26, 2013, 08:11 PM
I'd settle for two rounds of .22LR!

Dan-O
November 27, 2013, 12:49 AM
Who cares...and here's why:

1. They're absurdly late to the party.

2. They can barely keep up with production of current models.

3. They should stick with what they know. Which are combat double stack handguns that are "supposedly bullet proof" but they still can't get gen 4's to run without issues.

4. I'll believe it when I see it. Every year before shot show, they create a buzz in the handgun industry which if we remember from last year was a total bull**** white rabbit that amounted to nothing. Wasn't it some dumb Facebook page or something ridiculous?

powder
November 27, 2013, 01:17 AM
These threads get old:

a.) Glock makes pistols that are TOO small.
b.) Glock doesn't make a pistol to compete with the Xxx sub-compact model(s).

You got the G36 in ss .45 or the G19, and everything else in between that you can want or build for Perfection.

eldon519
November 27, 2013, 01:32 AM
They have my attention. I'd be interested if they made a single-stack, subcompact 9mm even if they aren't the first to do so. Not sure why some people oppose having more viable options on the market.

StrikeFire83
November 27, 2013, 01:35 AM
Not sure why some people oppose having more viable options on the market.

Because some people are stupid.

lpsharp88
November 27, 2013, 01:43 AM
I'd be interested if they made a single-stack, subcompact 9mm

Same here. I wouldn't rush out and buy it right after it comes out, but I'd definitely look into it. I really like my G26, so I think it would take something significant from Glock for it to be replaced as my EDC.

bds
November 27, 2013, 02:29 AM
Here's the buzz from glocktalk - http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20774274#_
Well, here's the info I received today.

The 41 will be the long slide 45 ACP & the 42 is a double stack .380 auto, which we've already placed orders on.

This information is 100% correct. Those will be the next 2 Glocks.

And this link was posted for G41 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/GLOCK-41-GEN-4-45ACP-5.3-AS-13RD-GLOCK-PG4130103.html

So Glock 41 looks to be Gen4 45ACP and 5.3" barrel with 13 round magazine.

Also, this link was posted for G42 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/GLOCK--GLOCK-UI4250201.html

StrikeFire83
November 27, 2013, 02:37 AM
^Okay. Kinda disappointing if true. What's the Model 40 then?

IdahoHk416
November 27, 2013, 05:25 AM
Supposedly the are skipping the Model 40 to avoid confusion with being a "Glock 40", which some people may take to mean a Glock chambered in .40 S&W.
Not saying it is true, but that is what I have read about it.

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 09:33 AM
Here's the buzz from glocktalk - http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20774274#_

And this link was posted for G41 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/GLOCK-41-GEN-4-45ACP-5.3-AS-13RD-GLOCK-PG4130103.html

So Glock 41 looks to be Gen4 45ACP and 5.3" barrel with 13 round magazine.

Also, this link was posted for G42 - http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/products/GLOCK--GLOCK-UI4250201.html
Oh booo! A double-stack .380? That hardly makes any sense to me.

Well, if this is true, I can't say I'm surprised considering Glock's complete inability to pay attention to what their customers want.

eldon519
November 27, 2013, 09:36 AM
Well not what I would have liked, but I bet both products will sell just fine. Maybe next year!

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 09:47 AM
Well not what I would have liked, but I bet both products will sell just fine. Maybe next year!
True, but in today's market I find it very hard to believe that a double-stack .380 would out sell a single stack 9mm or .380. I mean a double-stack .380....is that supposed to be a pocket pistol?

HOOfan_1
November 27, 2013, 09:53 AM
Isn't the Glock 25 already a double stack .380?

Fiv3r
November 27, 2013, 09:58 AM
The long slide .45 has more of my interest. Might pick one of those up in 4 or 5 years.

lpsharp88
November 27, 2013, 10:59 AM
I would have preferred a G26 sized single stack 9mm. Oh well, maybe next time

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 11:07 AM
Isn't the Glock 25 already a double stack .380?
Yes the G25 and G28 are both .380 but not available in the U.S. for some reason.

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
I would have preferred a G26 sized single stack 9mm. Oh well, maybe next time
you a hundreds of thousands of other people, myself included.

bds
November 27, 2013, 11:30 AM
G25 and G28 are both .380 but not available in the U.S. for some reason.
Now that Glock manufactures pistols in the USA, .380 G42 would not be subject to importation laws/restrictions.

Since Glock is comparing the G42 to a lighter in the ad, perhaps G42 is a micro sized double-stack .380?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/Captains1911/temp/347B3C12-88C5-4394-A4B9-2DF42089F9F9_zps3lmagcgc.jpg

HOOfan_1
November 27, 2013, 02:26 PM
Khar PM9 is as small as I would want

David E
November 27, 2013, 03:17 PM
Careful. Last year their "All New!" Model consisted of swapping parts between two existing models. (The 30S)

Maybe this time they're putting a 21 slide on the 30 frame. If so, woo frickin' hoo.

Let's see what they cobble together this time.

C0untZer0
November 27, 2013, 03:33 PM
I wish someone besides Kel-Tec would make a polymer .32 ACP

Finding a P-32 is not easy and when I do find them the price is jacked up due to short supply.

If I were going to get a 380 at this point I think it would be the Kahr CW380.

Magnuumpwr
November 27, 2013, 07:52 PM
Has anyone confirmed that the 42 is going to be a double stack 380? Maybe it will be a double stack 32.

HOOfan_1
November 27, 2013, 08:09 PM
Can't imagine they would sell many .32s

Vodoun da Vinci
November 27, 2013, 08:56 PM
There are a lot of new folks buying guns for CCW as every state in the nation now has it. I'd be surprised if a .380 pocket pistol or a .32 pocket pistol with Glocks name and reputation behind it didn't sell surprisingly well. I'm surprised at how many Ruger LCP .380's are at my range every time I show up.

For me, a .32 double stack Glock would be an absolutely must have gun. A .380 not so much. But I'd bet a .380 Glock would be pretty dang hot on the market.

VooDoo

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
delete

Captains1911
November 27, 2013, 09:03 PM
For me, a .32 double stack Glock would be an absolutely must have gun. A .380 not so much.

Really? Why?

HOOfan_1
November 27, 2013, 09:15 PM
Really? Why?

I was reading something the other day which said .32 Auto ranked behind .25 Auto and .22 LR in defensive carry popularity . Both of which I consider barely even passable as SD rounds.

tarosean
November 27, 2013, 09:46 PM
Careful. Last year their "All New!" Model consisted of swapping parts between two existing models. (The 30S)

With exception of the 36.. Glock hasn't exactly been innovative since busting onto the scene. You can only shorten frames and elongate slides for so long...

herrwalther
November 28, 2013, 01:54 AM
Probably won't be anything with a huge need for. Remember last year when they made a huge deal out of what became the G30S? Everyone thought it would be a single stack 9 or something that the market is hot for right now. Nope, it was a marginal improvement over the G30. I am not going to hold my breath. Glock has only one thing that they do well and that is trying to get everyone to shoot the same way.

Vodoun da Vinci
November 28, 2013, 08:09 AM
I shoot a lot of .32 and hang with folks who shoot/reload a lot of .32....I favor it over the .380 which, for me, is like shooting a slightly downloaded 9mm. Most of the .380's I like give me nothing my 9mm's don't already have and do better.

A pocket sized higher cap/polymer .32 as a choice rather than the Kel Tec (which is kind of a finicky toy to me - no slight intended, it's just not for me) would be a purchase. The argument that the .32 is sub marginal as a defense caliber has been hashed and rehashed to the point I just shake my head and walk away. I hand load flat nosed hardcast lead in my .32's to almost 200 FPE and they allow me to put 4, 75 gr rounds with 15"+ of penetration on target accurately in less than 1 second in point shooting out of my Colt 1903's.

I'm in a minority believing that a .32 ACP is still a great BUG or pocket pistol. I'd buy a Glock, Beretta, or similar polymer framed .32 with great relish. I'm willing to bet there's a lot of us fools out there but that's just an opinion. I sincerely doubt anyone except Beretta intends to market such an option. I love my Glock 26 - can't wait to see aht they do with the G42.

VooDoo

C0untZer0
November 28, 2013, 10:20 AM
My problem with the 380 AUTO is that most of the gel tests I've seen show the hollow point top out at 10" penetration and I've seen the FMJ, even truncated flat nosed penetrating 17-18 inches and even zipping out the back of 19" blocks.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get the round to penetrate between 12 to 15 inches.

An alternative to the P-32 would be great, but I doubt it is going to happen.

Glock is about the least responsive gun company out there. Coming to the market with a lightweight compact 380 ACP six years after Ruger introduced their very successful LCP, is pretty lethargic.

hentown
November 28, 2013, 10:40 AM
Too bad Glock doesn't employ the services of a couple of the "experts" posting marketing advice in this thread! :evil: Wonder how many businesses some of you naysayers have ever run successfully??? :cool:

Blackhawk30
November 28, 2013, 10:51 AM
Dang,I just bought a XDM 5.25 in .45 ACP.On Sunday @ the Chantilly gun show.LOL

LeonCarr
November 28, 2013, 10:53 AM
Speaking of marketing advice, everybody I talk to wants a Glock full size single stack (10+1) .45.

When I attended Glock Armorer School last year the first question asked by a student was "When is Glock coming out with a full size single stack .45?".

Every Glockoholic I know including myself wants one of these. Why are they making a long slide double stack .45, which is a gun which is already too big for most hands, and making it BIGGER?

Just my Thanksgiving .02,
LeonCarr

HexHead
November 28, 2013, 11:33 AM
Yes the G25 and G28 are both .380 but not available in the U.S. for some reason.
Not some reason. They don't make enough import points on the BATFE scale. .380 doesn't get as many points as 9mm does, and the 26 barely qualifies with the minimum 75 points. And that's with the adjustable plastic target sights Glock removes when they get here.

Jorzac
November 28, 2013, 11:43 AM
Glock is arguably one of the most successful firearms manufacturers in history. They make 1 style of gun (with minor variations of same) and make it very well. Obviously they know what they're are doing. Like someone above mentioned, how many of the people on this forum complaining that they don't listen to customers are successful business owners?

C0untZer0
November 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
how many of the people on this forum complaining that they don't listen to customers are successful business owners?

You don't have to be a whale to write Moby Dick.

You don't have to be a successful business owner or a genius to see that Glock is late to the party when it comes to slim 9mm and 380 guns.

How many people have said the Walther PPS is the gun Glock should have made - but didn't ?

The Ruger LCP, Springfield Armory XD-S, S&W Shield, Walther PPS and many other guns have made their manufacturers millions.

Not every gun company has the resources to capitalize on that opportunity but certainly Glock should have.

A company that passes up millions in revenue - I don't know about the marketing plan, but some plan somewhere is screwed up.

Gtscotty
November 28, 2013, 01:05 PM
In doing some sleuthing around the web, I have read a couple "leaks" that stated the 42 was a single stack .380, and only one that claimed it was a double stack... Who knows, but I would much rather have a micro .380 from Glock than a .380 in the same size range as my shield.

Also, I didn't even realize that there was a full outline of the pistol (or at least a pistol) behind the lighter in the ad until someone in another forum lightened the whole ad up to make the outline pop more..... I wonder if we are to assume that the G42 outline and Zippo are to scale?

Jorzac
November 28, 2013, 01:12 PM
I'm sure that glock has an army of marketers and researchers determining what they should spend their time and money on. As mentioned before, they can't keep up with demand on current guns, much less tap into the "double stack 32" millions that are out there. As far as being a whale to write moby dick, that's an asinine comment. Again, going back to my opening statement. Glock is arguably the most successful gun company of the last 50 yrs. Maybe, just MAYBE, they know what they're doing.

bannockburn
November 28, 2013, 01:48 PM
Just because a company is big and successful doesn't necessarily mean they're receptive to new or innovative ideas. Sometimes they become self-absorbed and self-insulated to the point that they believe only their own in-house designs and marketing strategy should be considered. I can remember how slow and unresponsive the Big Three automakers were to designing and building smaller, more fuel efficient cars. When the fuel crisis hit during the 1970s people started looking for alternatives and found them in vehicles made by Toyota, Honda, and Nissan. Not knocking Glock's current offerings, or their reputation for reliability and quality, but just saying that some day they may see their market share diminish as the competition design and build products that consumers are specifically looking for.

bds
November 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
I didn't even realize that there was a full outline of the pistol ... behind the lighter in the ad
In the picture below, I traced the outline of the pistol in white to see it more clearly.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=191709&stc=1&d=1385662240

HOOfan_1
November 28, 2013, 02:18 PM
Looks like PM9 size....maybe as small as p380

gym
November 28, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have no interest in a 380 of any type, perhaps a 45 if it did something that the other 6 I have don't do. Obviously this is for people who don't already have a half dozen Glocks or other Tupperware pistols and they are looking to the future of the carry and general shooting enigma that is sweeping the Country.
New shooters want a 380, and every guy who shoots for a year or two eventually wants a 45, "as we have seen with the 1911 craze. I am surprised they haven't made a 1911 at this point, "although it is the complete opposite of what they do, it would sell anyway.
And zippo's don't work every time.

C0untZer0
November 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
every guy who shoots for a year or two eventually wants a 45

I've had nines for 28 years and never wanted a 1911. I'll admit though that I want an H&K Mark 23.

wow6599
November 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
I would like a G36 sized firearm in 10mm.

Gtscotty
November 28, 2013, 03:04 PM
I agree, I had a 1911 and sold it off, that was also my last .45.

I don't suppose anyone has a standard zippo handy that they could dimension? The case width and the height from the case bottom to the top of the chrome perforated flange might be useful.

bds
November 28, 2013, 04:39 PM
I don't suppose anyone has a standard zippo handy that they could dimension?
The zippo lighter is about 1.5" x 2.2" so when I scaled the picture I get about 4.75" for the length of slide/barrel and 3.25" height.

That's smaller than my Taurus 738 TCP which has 5.2" slide length and 3.7" height.

herrwalther
November 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
Glock is arguably one of the most successful firearms manufacturers in history. They make 1 style of gun (with minor variations of same) and make it very well. Obviously they know what they're are doing. Like someone above mentioned, how many of the people on this forum complaining that they don't listen to customers are successful business owners?

NO! What made Glock popular was they made pistols available to law enforcement cheaper than the competition. They don't make a better gun than SIG or HK, they just make jack of all trades guns cheaper. If Hi-Points were as reliable as Glock, departments everywhere would ditch Glock over Hi point to save money. Glock is losing its market share on law enforcement with more departments going to S&W and SIG. A major metropolitan police department right next to me cancelled their contract for 2000+ Glocks for their officers in lieu of the M&P and only allow their officers to carry Glock if they buy it themselves. Glock hasn't had a major innovation since the G17 patent in the 1970s with their 3 passive safeties. Now most modern handguns have the Glock "innovative" safeties and then some. Sure none of us are business owners, but if Glock ignores what customers want, they won't be around.

WinThePennant
November 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the number 42. Doesn't Glock always apply the number based on the number of patents attributed to Glock? For example, the Glock 17 was named such because it was Glock's 17th patent.

Jorzac
November 28, 2013, 11:16 PM
NO! What made Glock popular was they made pistols available to law enforcement cheaper than the competition. They don't make a better gun than SIG or HK, they just make jack of all trades guns cheaper. If Hi-Points were as reliable as Glock, departments everywhere would ditch Glock over Hi point to save money. Glock is losing its market share on law enforcement with more departments going to S&W and SIG. A major metropolitan police department right next to me cancelled their contract for 2000+ Glocks for their officers in lieu of the M&P and only allow their officers to carry Glock if they buy it themselves. Glock hasn't had a major innovation since the G17 patent in the 1970s with their 3 passive safeties. Now most modern handguns have the Glock "innovative" safeties and then some. Sure none of us are business owners, but if Glock ignores what customers want, they won't be around.
YES! What made glock popular was a myriad of things...price being one of them. Reliability, capacity, & simplicity are some of the major factors that contributed & still contributes to their popularity. I own Glocks, Sigs & HKs. All great guns. Like em all. There is absolutely nothing an $800 Sig 220 or a $1200 HK45 can do (except hold fewer rds & cost more) that a Glock 21 can't do. And I own all three. I am all for innovation, when it accomplishes something meaningful. The Sig 224? That thing makes a Glock 27 feel sveldt in comparison. Was it innovative? Or was it an answer to a question Sig thought existed, but maybe didnt. From the dealers I've talked to, they're not selling real well. How long did it take Sig to make a high cap 45? 30 yrs? And it holds 10??? Yeah, real innovative. A double stack .32? Really? A single stack 9 would be great though. Never said it wouldn't.

Gtscotty
November 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
The zippo lighter is about 1.5" x 2.2" so when I scaled the picture I get about 4.75" for the length of slide/barrel and 3.25" height.

Well that is interesting, I could see a little Glock .380 edging out my Lcp for pocket carry.

351 WINCHESTER
November 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Glock need to focus on getting their current models running better. They need to have better ejectors made at the very minimum, plus who wants a single stack glock with an overly thick slide?

chicharrones
November 29, 2013, 12:09 AM
In the picture below, I traced the outline of the pistol in white to see it more clearly.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=191709&stc=1&d=1385662240

Thanks for showing that! I didn't notice the pistol outline the first time just from the angle of my monitor. :D

bds
November 29, 2013, 12:48 AM
Well that is interesting, I could see a little Glock .380 edging out my Lcp for pocket carry.
Keep in mind the 4.75" and 3.25" dimensions are my "best guess" based on extrapolated measurements taken off the ad picture. It will be interesting to see how close I am to actual dimensions of G42/380 pistol.

ThatGuyHank
November 29, 2013, 02:52 AM
I really hope that outline is just for brand recognition or some other marketing ploy. If that is the "true" size of the gun in relation to a Zippo, It'll be a 2 finger deal for me; one on the grip and one on the trigger. That is entirely too small for my tastes.

ugaarguy
November 29, 2013, 03:21 AM
I wouldn't read too much into the number 42. Doesn't Glock always apply the number based on the number of patents attributed to Glock? For example, the Glock 17 was named such because it was Glock's 17th patent.
No. From the Model 17 on Glock has sequentially numbered all of their pistols.

WinThePennant
November 29, 2013, 07:56 AM
No. From the Model 17 on Glock has sequentially numbered all of their pistols.
When his gun business became successful, and his focus was 100% on designing new pistols, wouldn't it make sense that each sequential patent was for a new gun design?

Zerodefect
November 29, 2013, 10:30 AM

Maybe. But those Glocks were far better than the PD's previous pistols.

Trade my Glock 23 for a HK, or Sig??? Haha, yeah right. I agree, Glock should come out with a slimmer single stack G19, G26, G23 (if possible). But Glock can only go so far, before Glock, isn't Glock anymore. There's something genius to my G23, whether I like it or NOT, it's still by far my most effective pistol.

PD's are switching to the M&P because it's a Glock with a better feeling trigger IMO, and is priced similar or less Cops ain't allowed to modify their guns at many departments. If I was them, I'd carry whatever I wanted. They can keep their freebee guns.

Vodoun da Vinci
November 29, 2013, 11:52 AM
Being a brand new Glock owner (less than 1000 rounds and less than 3 months) I have to interject some perspective. I wanted nothing to do with polymer pistols, striker fired pistols, or Glocks until a few weeks ago when my Wife and I re entered shooting sports (to qualify for CCW and find our preferred fireamrs platforms) after around 30 years of shooting inactivity. A lot has changed in 30 years.

My Glock 26 is a black plastic chunk and it leaves me cold *but* I have been converted to the dark side by the functionality and accuracy of the Glock. It is utterly reliable with any ammo I throw at it and accurate in rapid fire to the point of being the pistol to beat in our competitive search for our best shooting pistol.

The reason Glock is the pistol to emulate and beat/take market share from by other makers is because they work. Period. Glock Perfection? Hardly...but I think they are pretty hard to beat for functionality and price and my opinion is that a surprising number of new releases by other manufacturers is directly because they need to reclaim some market share.

What the new G42 will be exactly is up for speculation but they will likely sell like hotcakes simply because they are Glocks. I have shot virtually all of the various makers offerings at this point and even though I still am left cold by Glock ergonomics/aesthetics/trigger/safety features they absolutely rock in my hands and are the pistol to beat for my gun $ in a CCW pistol.

You have no idea how much it disturbs me to say that...but anything Glock offers in the way of new pistols will be snapped up by waiting consumers I do believe. I think there are more folks who are impressed with Glock functionality than many believe and that most other makers still consider Glocks offerings to be major if not the dominating competition.

VooDoo

C0untZer0
November 29, 2013, 12:42 PM
There are people out there who treat Glocks like Pokemon - "gotta collect em all"

If Glock made Glock brand gun cleaner, and Glock brand gun lube - they'd make millions. I don't know why they haven't thought of it...

If Glock made toothpaste they'd make money on it because the Glock fan boys would rush out and buy it and post YouTube videos of themselves brushing their teeth with Glock toothpaste.

WinThePennant
November 29, 2013, 12:57 PM
I buy Glocks for the same reason Vodoun buys them -- The dang things work and work and work. Other reasons include interchangeability of magazines and the ability to easily self-smith a Glock.

I primarily own 9mm Glocks. I did buy the wonderful Glock 29 (10mm) because everyone should have a 10mm, and it is capable of firing other calibers with quick switch of the barrel (.357 Sig, .40 S&W, and 9mm Dillon).

bds
November 29, 2013, 03:03 PM
There's something genius to my G23, whether I like it or NOT, it's still by far my most effective pistol.
How many 40S&W pistols do you know can become a 9mm pistol with a drop of a conversion barrel? It is one of many reasons why I went from G17/G19/G26 to G22/G23/G27.

PD's are switching to the M&P because it's a Glock with a better feeling trigger IMO, and is priced similar or less
M&P pistols have ambi slide lock and safety that are more friendly to left handed shooters. Even Gen4 Glocks still do not offer full ambi controls. More women are becoming police officers and different size back straps on M&Ps better accommodate smaller hands.

Now that Glock manufactures pistols in the USA, I think G41 and G42 are just the start of ongoing Glock progression now in the USA. Without importation restrictions, they are more free to produce pistols that better meet their customer wants and desires or face continued loss of market share, which Glock may not be concerned with at present but soon will in the future as products from their competition keep getting better and better.

eldon519
November 29, 2013, 03:39 PM
I think what has also lead to Glock's dominance is refusal by HK and SIG to adapt. Why they won't make striker-fired pistols, who knows? Love it or hate it, that is slowly becoming the standard for tactical pistols.

herrwalther
November 29, 2013, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen any indication that Glock will start making the forbidden .380s in the GA plant. Hopefully I am wrong on that though.

My main dislike of Glock is they are nothing spectacular out of the box. IF I bought a Glock, I would have to dump about $500 into one so that I would like it. First off being the sights, cannot stand the stock sights on a factory Glock. Most of the controls would need to be replaced for me as well. Second the ironclad reliability Glock is "known" for has been the exact opposite. I have had faulty magazine catches, improper made barrels, and FTEs on new Glocks fresh out of the box.

WinThePennant
November 29, 2013, 05:34 PM
I haven't seen any indication that Glock will start making the forbidden .380s in the GA plant. Hopefully I am wrong on that though.

My main dislike of Glock is they are nothing spectacular out of the box. IF I bought a Glock, I would have to dump about $500 into one so that I would like it. First off being the sights, cannot stand the stock sights on a factory Glock. Most of the controls would need to be replaced for me as well. Second the ironclad reliability Glock is "known" for has been the exact opposite. I have had faulty magazine catches, improper made barrels, and FTEs on new Glocks fresh out of the box.
Well, you've had the WORST luck of any Glock owner out there. 99.9999% of all other Glock owners have had different luck.

A typical upgrade for a Gen 4 Glock is as follows (for me):
Meprolight night sights: $63 (Glockmeister)
Extended slide lock: $10 (Lone Wolf)
Extended slide stop: $13 (Lone Wolf)

That is the basic set up for all my Glocks. With shipping, you are looking at around $100. I have no idea how or why you'd have to dump $500 into a Glock just to get it up to snuff. That must be one helluva Glock once you're done with it.

At first I did some fooling around with the trigger, but decided that it wasn't really worth it. The "improvements" weren't that noticeable, and, besides, the Glock trigger is pretty good out of the box.

stogiegila
November 29, 2013, 06:00 PM
Well I've had several G19s, G30SF and G26s. Never had a problem with any of them. I sold the 19s because I prefer the 26. I sold the G30s because I prefer 9mm over .45acp.

I like the G26, and over time have come to the conclusion that my preference for a EDC is a polymer striker fired gun. As much as I like the G26 it does tend to feel heavy and like a brick over time.

I recently picked up a Kahr CM9 which fits the bill nicely.

I for one would love to see Glock come out with a slimmer single stack G26. That would instantly become my EDC

The only upgrades I have ever done on any of my Glocks is either a Hogue rubber grip sleeve or a set of Talon Rubber grips

Make a slim single stack 9mm in a comparable size to a Kahr CM9 and I would be very very happy :P

Jorzac
November 29, 2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah, the only $500 "upgrade" would be to buy another glock. Add a set nightsights of choice (agree, that the stock sights suck) and you're good to go. As far as reliability, I have 11 glocks, all gen 3 except a gen 2 G20 with over 10K rds and have never, NEVER, had a single failure. They all get shot regularly. Get cleaned whenever the mood strikes me, & they keep on shooting. I've got 6 HKs (3 USPs, 2 HK45s, & a P30) & 3 Sigs (220, 228 & 229). They all shoot just fine, are plenty reliable, but no more so than the glocks that cost 1/2 (or 2/3) less. You can bet that if the SHTF, & I can grab 1 pistol, it'll be the 20 yr old G20 & a whole bunch of Underwood Ammo.

Hometeached1
December 1, 2013, 02:41 PM
Some people will say this is stupid, but I've always wanted a glock 25 or 28(don't forget a 18)! The thought of a single stack 9mm glock is kind of interesting, but don't think I will buy one any time soon.

Robbins290
December 1, 2013, 03:38 PM
What happened to the glock 40? I thought the last one was model 39?

viking499
December 1, 2013, 06:11 PM
My guess would be that a Glock 40 would be considered by many to be a 40 cal gun.

tarosean
December 1, 2013, 08:35 PM
Well, you've had the WORST luck of any Glock owner out there. 99.9999% of all other Glock owners have had different luck.

Odd statement considering Glocktalk still has plenty of "problems/issues/help" threads..

I personally find them no better in the reliability department than any other major brand and I own 3 of them.

USAF_Vet
December 1, 2013, 08:41 PM
The long slide .45 has more of my interest. Might pick one of those up in 4 or 5 years.
Exactly what I was thinking.

stressed
December 4, 2013, 09:20 PM
So is the G42, being as small as it is - smaller then a TCP - going to be .380 or .22lr? I've heard both multiple places.

Captains1911
December 4, 2013, 09:31 PM
Odd statement considering Glocktalk still has plenty of "problems/issues/help" threads..

I personally find them no better in the reliability department than any other major brand and I own 3 of them.
Riiiiiight. You do realize that glock talk represents a fraction of a percent of all glock owners right? You also understand that for every unhappy person having an issue with a gun, there's likely thousands of perfectly satisfied owners? Lastly, just due to the shear number of Glocks in existence, probabilities dictate that you will hear about more problems with them, but that does not at all mean that they are problematic at a higher percentage.

Gtscotty
December 4, 2013, 10:38 PM
So is the G42, being as small as it is - smaller then a TCP - going to be .380 or .22lr? I've heard both multiple places.

I think the G42 is pretty well nailed down as a .380. I have heard some folks joke about the Glock 40 being a .22, but that is all in jest...

I honestly think Glock will skip the number 40 in their model numbering scheme in an effort to keep the slobbering masses from becoming terminally confused by the differences between the Glock 40 and the Glock Fotay.

TimboKhan
December 5, 2013, 12:17 AM
Eh. I am all for Glock building a single stack (late to the party sometimes means life of the party) buy I really am not worried about Glock building something less Glock-like. Love them or hate them, they have established their brand around a particular formula, have been wildly successful with that formula, and have a hardcore customer base that really doesn't want them to change all that much. People like what they like and mostly don't like change. Glock doesn't care if 5 people each buy one gun or one guy buys 5 guns. That one guy is who they are marketing to at this point anyway, because that guy is a lifetime customer.

At the end of the day, this is why there are different guns out there. Why get upset that Glock isn't leading the pack in new stuff when others are?

beatledog7
December 5, 2013, 12:30 AM
I hope it's a single stack .40S&W, but I'm probably alone there.

I'd settle for a single stack 9mm.

private snowball
December 6, 2013, 10:13 PM

I was just about to draft the exact same reply. The erosion in market share within LEA community must have been eye opening. I will agree they came out with an innovative and excellent product. It captured the majority of America's law enforcement community overnight. After that they did jack squat to innovate.

Glock: The Rise of America's Gun is a fantastic read. It paints a picture of supreme arrogance of its founder. Even if it is only 25% true, I am not sure I would want to hang out with Gaston Glock. He sounds like a jerk. Look how long it took for them to recognize that not everyone has the same size hand and launch the SF? How many other polymer gun makers had adjustable backstraps when they finally gave in an came out with Gen 4? (which is still huge BTW)

I believe they developed one of the finest guns ever made. Companies like FN, S&W, and Beretta (talking PX4 only in this context) should send Glock thank you notes every time they poach a major LEA. They are getting steamrolled now just as they steamrolled S&W in the 80's with their innovative G17.

tarosean
December 6, 2013, 11:42 PM
How many other polymer gun makers had adjustable backstraps when they finally gave in an came out with Gen 4? (which is still huge BTW)

The 4th gen changes were to fix the issues with the 40S&W models. The backstraps were an afterthought.

bds
December 7, 2013, 02:07 AM
Look how long it took for them to recognize that not everyone has the same size hand and launch the SF?
And even still with Gen4 models, "Glock perfection" doesn't apply to left handed shooters.

I am a fan of Glocks but my dad and my wife's friend are lefties and when they wanted another HD pistol, I had them shoot both of my Glocks and M&Ps. Guess which pistols they bought? You got it, M&P40/45s with ambi slide locks.

Maybe Gen5 Glocks will have more consideration for lefties.

herrwalther
December 8, 2013, 01:55 AM
Maybe Gen5 Glocks will have more consideration for lefties.

Probably. They took a step in the right direction by adding a reversible mag release on the Gen4s. I suppose lefties (of which I am not) are supposed to manipulate the slide with the palm knuckle of their trigger finger or some other contortionist maneuver.

justice06rr
December 10, 2013, 01:55 AM
My speculation is that the new G42 is a 9mm single stack compact/subcompact Glock.

Not really to exciting IMO. I don't feel the need to buy a Glock single stack pistol when there are plenty of other options already out there. I'm sure Glock fans would buy one though as soon as it comes out.

I guess we'll see next year...

WinThePennant
December 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
If Glock makes a single stack 9mm, I'll bet you that gunbroker.com will be filled to the rafters with used 9mms of every make.

Glock makes a single stack 9mm, and I'll be in that line to buy one. Of course, I probably won't be able to get my hands on one until 2016. :)

HexHead
December 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
Probably. They took a step in the right direction by adding a reversible mag release on the Gen4s. I suppose lefties (of which I am not) are supposed to manipulate the slide with the palm knuckle of their trigger finger or some other contortionist maneuver.
You're supposed to slingshot the slide on a Glock, not use the slide release anyway.

herrwalther
December 12, 2013, 12:05 AM
You're supposed to slingshot the slide on a Glock, not use the slide release anyway.

With that logic, no semi-auto pistol should have a slide release. Can really start to streamline controls and avoid all those pesky things that thumbs do on firearms.

VAhuntr
December 12, 2013, 09:15 AM
original: private snowball:
I was just about to draft the exact same reply. The erosion in market share within LEA community must have been eye opening. I will agree they came out with an innovative and excellent product. It captured the majority of America's law enforcement community overnight. After that they did jack squat to innovate.

Glock: The Rise of America's Gun is a fantastic read. It paints a picture of supreme arrogance of its founder. Even if it is only 25% true, I am not sure I would want to hang out with Gaston Glock. He sounds like a jerk. Look how long it took for them to recognize that not everyone has the same size hand and launch the SF? How many other polymer gun makers had adjustable backstraps when they finally gave in an came out with Gen 4? (which is still huge BTW)

I believe they developed one of the finest guns ever made. Companies like FN, S&W, and Beretta (talking PX4 only in this context) should send Glock thank you notes every time they poach a major LEA. They are getting steamrolled now just as they steamrolled S&W in the 80's with their innovative G17.

Are they really getting steamrolled? I understand my world is small but I know several local departments that are switching to Glocks. Mine is going from Beretta to Glock 21/30's, two other departments from HK to Glock 21/30's, and one department is considering the M&P 45 or the G21. Early reports are the G21 is the favorite for them, mainly due to most of the other surrounding jurisdictions using the G21.

F-111 John
December 12, 2013, 09:37 AM
With that logic, no semi-auto pistol should have a slide release. Can really start to streamline controls and avoid all those pesky things that thumbs do on firearms.

Some firearms have, such as the Walther PPK and the Beretta Nano. The only way to lock back the slide on those two is to use an empty magazine.

I use the tab on my G26 to manually lock back the slide, and slingshot to release.

Noah
December 12, 2013, 03:21 PM
Are they really getting steamrolled? I understand my world is small but I know several local departments that are switching to Glocks. Mine is going from Beretta to Glock 21/30's, two other departments from HK to Glock 21/30's, and one department is considering the M&P 45 or the G21. Early reports are the G21 is the favorite for them, mainly due to most of the other surrounding jurisdictions using the G21.

The Indiana State Police just moved to the Sig P227 .45 as well. Why all the .45s? I didn't see this trend coming.

HisStigness
December 12, 2013, 03:32 PM
Maybe Glock is coming out with their own 1911, just like every other gun company in the entire world... But theirs will obviously be better because it's a Glock. :barf:

Noah
December 12, 2013, 03:47 PM
Honestly, a single stack, full size, polymer frame, striker fired .45 with a 1911-style safety and a, say, 3.5 lb competition trigger would be a pretty neat gun. I'm thinking a single stack M&P 45 with the thumb safety with a great trigger, light weight, and reasonable price tag, or the Glock alternative. Oh, and that takes 1911 mags. Might require a grip angle change. ;)

Might sell great....

F-111 John
December 12, 2013, 03:52 PM
Maybe Glock is coming out with their own 1911, just like every other gun company in the entire world... But theirs will obviously be better because it's a Glock.

Already been done. ;)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/glock_1911-tfb.jpg

Noah
December 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=20180

Check out this Glock 1911 too. :neener:

atomd
December 12, 2013, 10:06 PM
I just checked my crystal ball. The people that hate Glock will hate this gun. The people that like Glock will like it.

It's pretty funny watching all the speculation and controversy anytime Glock mentions releasing anything new. The other funny thing is that they are going to sell so much of whatever it is that they can barely keep up with production. One thing is for sure...whatever it is it's going to be put under the microscope. If all pistol makers went through the kind of scrutiny they do they would be having some real trouble.

TestPilot
December 12, 2013, 10:36 PM
NO! What made Glock popular was they made pistols available to law enforcement cheaper than the competition. They don't make a better gun than SIG or HK, they just make jack of all trades guns cheaper. If Hi-Points were as reliable as Glock, departments everywhere would ditch Glock over Hi point to save money.

You are ignoring very important factors. Price was not the only deal.

Glock is what proved to the world that we do not have to be stuck with a DA/SA with 5+ kg long first trigger pull pull or SAO with a manual firing inhibitor that needs additional thumb manipulation to shoot.

It proved that medium resistance trigger pull with adequate but not too long pull distance with short reset can work.

The reason why Glock may be losing its market shaer is that Glock is no longer the only player in the medium resistance sigle mode trigger striker trigger field, and other companies have learned from Glock and putting out improved products.

tarosean
December 12, 2013, 10:45 PM
It's pretty funny watching all the speculation and controversy anytime Glock mentions releasing anything new. The other funny thing is that they are going to sell so much of whatever it is that they can barely keep up with production.

Really? Their last foray into something new, is their biggest flop... (G36)

atomd
December 12, 2013, 11:03 PM
Really? Their last foray into something new, is their biggest flop... (G36

And yet it sold more than many other guns out there....with just as many or less problems than a lot of them. I don't care for that model but people said the same thing about every other new model of Glock too (which there have been many since the G36 came out) and people have bought them like they were going out of style and they are still buying them. It's funny how only Glock is held to that standard. I guess they must have earned it.

Ledgehammer
December 12, 2013, 11:41 PM
I had a G36. It was 100% reliable and accurate as heck. Wish I never sold it.

C0untZer0
December 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
It's pretty funny watching all the speculation and controversy anytime Glock mentions releasing anything new. The other funny thing is that they are going to sell so much of whatever it is that they can barely keep up with production.

There are people out there who treat Glocks like Pokemon - "gotta collect em all"

If Glock made Glock brand gun cleaner, and Glock brand gun lube - they'd make millions. I don't know why they haven't thought of it...

If Glock made toothpaste they'd make money on it because the Glock fan boys would rush out and buy it and post YouTube videos of themselves brushing their teeth with Glock toothpaste.

I'm still hoping they'll make a .32 ACP :D

Vodoun da Vinci
December 13, 2013, 08:17 AM
I'm still hoping they'll make a .32 ACP :D

I hated Glocks (the whole "plastic pistol" concept just turned me off...) until I basically purchased a G26 to see what the fuss was exactly all about. I handled and test shot G27's, G30's, G36's before settling on the G26. It's the most accurate gun I own right out of the box and shoots any ammunition I throw at it....hides on me in a pocket, AIWB holster, ankle holster. Utterly reliable, super fast and accurate in rapid fire...everything I ever wanted except for aesthetics and external safety features (drop hammer/DA/SA) and it is *still* a chunky black plastic box. I love mine and will buy other Glocks as needed.

That said, I'm a .32 ACP aficionado and hand load for that round and love shooting my Colt 1903's chambered for it....if Glock released a single or even double stack .32? I'd be *all* over that if I had to sell a Colt 1903 to get it.

I think Glock, being at the very top of the pioneering of plastic pistols game, and the very first to do it correctly and safely, is held by a lot of Glock Fan Boys to an impossible standard. This is the danger of being touted beyond reason by Fan Boys. Many gun buyers buy what is touted and hyped by great marketing and Fan Boys instead of buying and using what is best for them and their uses. When a manufacturer ceases to cater to the hyped/Fan Boy mentality they suddenly get the cold shoulder. Pistols fall in and out of favor throughout their production career if it is long enough.

I think Glock is the gun to be emulated for the early 21st century and I don't see their market share diminishing to any significant degree...Glock makes it? It'll sell at least some to folks like me who have owned 'em, tested 'em and shot 'em against other pistols and found them to be excellent.

VooDoo

F-111 John
December 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
You're probably right. I know I purchased a Glock disassembly tool when I already had a perfectly functional 3/32" punch.

snooperman
December 13, 2013, 10:26 PM
Based on the size of the Zippo lighter in the picture, next to the pistol , the Glock 42 seems to be about 5.1" long or about the size of a Ruger LCP. Probably a 380 ACP. The zippo is 1.5" wide. Using a mm ruler and converting to inches, that's what I come up with. I am not 100% certain as the superimposed picture of the Zippo could be further away from the surface of the gun. But if it is right up against the gun , I believe it is 5.1" long.

GlockFan
December 14, 2013, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry but if one of these isn't a single stack nine I would be speechless and very disappointed. Are they really that unaware of what a huge market that category has been the past few years.

Quack
December 15, 2013, 08:12 AM
It'll be a small single stack 9mm. It seems that they watch what the others do (now) and see how the market goes. Like with the back straps. They started doing it after M&P, now they see how the Shield and XDs were snatched up right as they hit the shelves. Its also something that people been wanting for years.

huey148
December 15, 2013, 09:01 AM
Personally I have Bern asking for the single stack 9 for a while and was expecting it at last SHOT but they trilled out the 30s instead..... at this'd point I could care less sad the moment had passed on this one.... Handled a friend XDS 45 last week and was like wow... Same logic that said why carry 380 when I can carry a 9 is now telling me why carry a 9 when I can carry a 45...... Danger logic used after the mag caps of the 90's

Vodoun da Vinci
December 15, 2013, 09:45 AM
Not to slide off topic *but* I have handled and shot both the XD-S 9mm and .45 and the XD-S goes on sale next week at the LGS for *dirt* cheap...I will have my XD-S .45 I have no doubt as I have been lusting for one all Summer.

That said I am curious about the "Why buy a 9mm when I can have .45 in the same size pistol" mindset....having shot them both side by side, the .45 XD-S can be brutal in recoil with that rough textured grip. The 9mm? Not so much.

For many they'll be better off with a 9mm so the recoil doesn't beat them senseless. It's not really a "get the biggest caliber you can find" situation with these tiny lightweight subcompacts...they tend to buck/snap/and flash in a serious manner for some.

Just sayin'. I don't need another Glock model 9mm...I have the G26 and it's as tiny a 9mm as I need. Single stack 9mm G42? I don't think that will sell as well for Glock as a .380 version at this point in the market time due to the number of folks getting into CCW in a more casual way. At my local GS .380's are literally flying off the shelves as are Glocks in general...a Glock 42 in .380, if it shoots anything like my G26, in this neck of the woods will be a *very* *very* hot seller the minute it hits the display cases.

VooDoo

Quack
December 15, 2013, 10:59 AM
They already have a 380 (Glock 25 & 28 ) which is the 19 & 26, but it doesn't meet the import points. Sure the 380 will sell, but the 9mm will sell better. I for one don't care for the 380.

WinThePennant
December 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
Now that Glock is getting their US manufacturing ramped up, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the G25 made available to the US market.

tarosean
December 15, 2013, 11:21 AM
Now that Glock is getting their US manufacturing ramped up, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the G25 made available to the US market.

The G25 is the exact same size as the 19.. Not sure too many people would be clamoring for such a huge 380

Quack
December 15, 2013, 11:24 AM
I had a brain fart. The 28 is the G26 size

WinThePennant
December 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
Actually, I queued off Quack's misnaming the subcompact the G25.

I think a lot of people would buy a G28. Even though it is the same size as a G26, I think a lot of recoil sensitive people would snap it up. A G28 would probably be an ideal carry gun for a lot of women.

snooperman
December 15, 2013, 01:44 PM
"Sure the 380 will sell, but the 9mm will sell better". That remains to be seen. Ruger sells far more 380 LCP's than they do 9mm LC9, Keltec sells more 380 P3at than 9mm pf9. When it comes to "pocket" guns the 380 outsells the 9mm by a wide margin. The 9mm is too much gun for most people when it comes to "POCKETS". If I want a 9mm , it will have to fit in a holster. And that is true for most people. Glock already has an excellent 9mm subcompact gun- the 26. There is no "PocketGlock" in the market now. The 380 makes more sense because it will fill that niche. And yes, it will sell. My 2 cents

Vodoun da Vinci
December 15, 2013, 01:57 PM
Illinois CCW classes are very hot and heavy at my LGS/indoor range...they are literally swamped with new students and the show case yesterday was literally *packed* with new pistols to sell the new students and potential CCW aficionados in this part of Illinois.

Literally 1/2 of the new offerings are .380 pistols due to the demand for them - lots of folks (we have to shoot 30 rounds and pass proficiency in Illinois) simply can't handle 9mm recoil in a concealable compact or subcompact size gun. The result is that record numbers of .380's are being rented. In range ammo, the sales of .380 to feed them for CCW students practicing is off the charts.

As is the sale of Glocks in general and Springer XD-S, S&W M&P, Berettas (there are now 4 Storms in the case and last week there were none!!) Rugers, etc. We'll see but my guess is that a .380 Glock, with it's easy to maintain finish and ability to feed anything thrown at it and the low bore axis would literally fly off the shelves here next year. I'm sure a Glock single stack 9mm would do very well but most of these folks have access to various Glocks as rental in 9mm and the .380 rentals of other pistols is stunning according to the guys at the range....folks come in and start their rental session with a G19 or G26 and end up shooting a .380 by the end of the hour because the recoil puts them off. Most new CCW converts here (maybe not everywhere) are not gun aficionados and not experienced...they want a gun for protection and will likely only shoot a couple times a year.

Newbies see that Glocks are good enough for the cops and have heard the name for many years so they accept it....give it to them in .380 and they'll be happy to part with $500 - $600 and go to town with it.

VooDoo

Captains1911
December 16, 2013, 06:08 PM
Glock already has an excellent 9mm subcompact gun- the 26. There is no "PocketGlock" in the market now.

The same could be said about Springfield Armory with the XDm Compacts, S&W with the M&P Compacts, and Ruger with the SR Compacts. However that does not prevent the single stack XDs, Shield, or LC9 from selling like hot cakes.

snooperman
December 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
Captains 1911, these companies have pocket 380's, and for pocket carry, they outsell the 9mm. Most people do not carry nines in the pocket. Glock does not have a pocket gun. That is why the little 5.1" new Glock 42 is a 380, not a 9mm.

C0untZer0
December 17, 2013, 03:10 PM
I Googled Zippo lighter problems and they actually fail to light up more than Glock is evidently aware of.

My EDC better be more reliable than the average Zippo lighter.

toivo
December 17, 2013, 05:42 PM
Back in the dark ages when I used to smoke, I used Zippos. In my experience, there are only three reasons a Zippo won't work: it has no fuel, it has no flint, or it has no wick. It's like expecting your Glock to work with no firing pin or striker spring or ammo.

Most of the people posting online about Zippo problems grew up with Bics and don't know how to use the older technology.

Put me down on the list of those who think the "pocket nine" is a flawed concept. If they're small/light enough to pocket-carry, they're just so nasty to shoot (Kel-Tec PF-9, Kahrs). If they're big/heavy enough to be shootable, they're too big to pocket-carry (Beretta Nano, Glock 26). I'd love to see a pocketable single-stack .380 Glock.

WinThePennant
December 17, 2013, 09:48 PM
I love my Zippo.

I hate that the fuel holder is a cotton-ball like thingy. Damn thing is only good for a few days before it's dry.

When properly gassed up, my Zippo always-always-always lights.

vit
December 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
It is a single stack .380ACP.

Peter M. Eick
December 20, 2013, 09:26 AM
If it really is a single stack glock 380 auto, I will buy one. I wanted one fo the model 28's (if I remember the number right) because the concept of a glock 380 made sense.

I like 380's. They are fun to shoot. Hopefully it will be locked breach instead of blowback.

Vodoun da Vinci
December 20, 2013, 09:44 AM
It's pretty much a given that the 42, if released as a .380, would be a locked breech design as I believe all of the present Glocks and the basic action is of a locked breech design. I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable about Glocks will correct me if I'm wrong.

But I'm pretty certain the new G42 would be a locked breech. That said I'm not a .380 aficionado but I am a Glock lover because of my G26. I wouldn't buy one in .380 but my Wife might depending on where she finally settles for her main CCW piece.

VooDoo

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 10:32 AM
The G25 and G28 are direct blowback.

Vodoun da Vinci
December 20, 2013, 10:43 AM
I stand corrected. So, there is the possibility that a new G42 will be blow back instead of locked breech.

Yuck.

VooDoo

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 12:31 PM
I don't think it will be, but the G25 and G28 are.

Some people have said that Glock was going to start making the G28 in Georgia and it would be the G42. That doesn't make sense - Glock wouldn't manufacture an existing model and give it a whole new model number just because it was being manufactured at a different location.

So I think there would be differences.

Single stack might be the difference, locked breach might be the difference.

Or it could be a single-stack 9mm :D

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 12:32 PM
Or it could be a double-stack .32 ACP the size of the G26 :D

hardluk1
December 20, 2013, 01:13 PM
I know the outline of that new glock in the add with the zippo is the same size as my cm9 kahr.

JN01
December 20, 2013, 04:53 PM
Assuming that the gun outline and lighter are to scale with each other.

snooperman
December 20, 2013, 05:32 PM
If they are not scaled with each other, why would they put a Zippo lighter in the picture? I see no reason for it to be anything other than a locked breech 380 pocket pistol. It makes no sense for them to make it a blowback design, when most of the best in the competition has a locked breech.

vit
December 20, 2013, 08:27 PM
It's not blowback.

tarosean
December 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
The G25 and G28 are direct blowback.

Might want to watch this vid around 6m he breaks down the 28...

http://youtu.be/iVkhJJUe_ww

snooperman
December 20, 2013, 10:03 PM
The man that is speaking Portuguese is probably from Brazil and does not in any way represent the American gun market. People in Brazil and many Latin American countries can not have a gun with same caliber as their police. Glock makes these guns for a totally different market. We can purchase house guns or carry guns in any caliber and size we want. They can not. Just because this gun is a blowback in no way is an indication that the Glock 42 is a Blowback gun. American shooters will not buy a gun like that, when other gun makers are offering much better guns that are locked breach with less recoil and less force to rack the slide on a small pocket gun. I fail to see the relevance of this video as it is out of context to the Glock 42 especially made for the American market. My 2 cents

tarosean
December 20, 2013, 10:14 PM
^The video proves that the 25/28 is not a blowback operated gun. Period...

The 42 isn't going to be some revolutionary design count on that...

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 10:41 PM
I got my info about the 25 and the 28 from the Glock Talk forum. But IGB makes 9mm barrel conversions for those 2 guns and I always thought "Holy Cow what would it be like shooting 9mm direct blowback from a gun the size of the Glock 26"

snooperman
December 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks, for the clarification. I agree with you on that. Snoop

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 10:53 PM
I know Wikipedia can be wrong but it says the 25 and the 28 are straight blowback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

Did you notice that there is metal missing from the barrel hood compared to the G26? Look at the top toward the muzzle, it's like there is a cutout. 9mm Glock barrels have maybe a 1/8" cutout there but that 380 barrel looks like a 1/5" or maybe even a quarter inch.

JohnKSa
December 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
^The video proves that the 25/28 is not a blowback operated gun. Period...It shows that it does not have a fixed barrel like most blowback operated guns, but it doesn't prove it's not blowback operated.

The 25 & 28 are blowback operated because the locking lug is milled off the barrel. So while it looks like a locked breech system, there is no locking mechanism.

http://eu.glock.com/english/glock28.htm

C0untZer0
December 20, 2013, 11:15 PM
Ahhh.... here we go:

The 380 glocks are blowback. You can't just drop a barrel in.

Actually, the way Glock made the 25 and 28 direct blowback was by simply milling off the locking surface of the barrel hood.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=124724

snooperman
December 20, 2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks for all the extra posts, this clarifies a lot.

tarosean
December 21, 2013, 12:14 AM
Apparently I was wrong..:what:

vit
December 21, 2013, 12:17 AM
the 42 is locked breech

Quack
December 21, 2013, 10:46 PM
Now how about the new 5" 45 ACP that glock is being released?

JohnKSa
December 21, 2013, 10:50 PM
That's the 41, if I'm not mistaken.

David E
December 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
Really? Their last foray into something new, is their biggest flop... (G36)
The 36 wasn't their most recent.

The 37, 38, 39 and 30S all came after the 36....

Which of these was the biggest Glock flop?

F-111 John
December 21, 2013, 11:17 PM
Which of these was the biggest Glock flop?
It's a tie between the 37, 38, 39, and the .45 GAP round itself.

herrwalther
December 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
I would prefer to see a compact 10mm Glock between the G20 and G29 before seeing a single stack 9mm. Glock dropped the ball on getting to that market.

Quack
December 22, 2013, 08:42 PM
That's the 41, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct.

piece of meat
December 23, 2013, 05:07 PM
If they made a single stack version on the 26, or a single stack version of the 21, they would sell millions.

F-111 John
December 24, 2013, 10:30 PM
Looking more and more like a single stack .380. Yawn.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/12/robert-farago/breaking-glock-42-revealed/

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/G42-Copy-.jpg
http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Glock-32.jpg

GlockFan
December 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Awww c#%&!

GlockFan
December 24, 2013, 11:45 PM
I was hoping for something more. More specifically a 9mm. I thought I'd do a quick compare now that we have some specs between the G42 and its competition. Unfortunately the Glock doesn't shine compared to others. Look at the height and OAL! Why they decided to jump into the 380 game now is a mystery. :banghead:
For the heck of it I thought I would also compare it to small 9mm models incase they decided to rechamber it later on.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/Glockfan_photos/NewPicture_zps7dde29a1.png (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/Glockfan_photos/media/NewPicture_zps7dde29a1.png.html)

Gtscotty
December 24, 2013, 11:58 PM
Wow, it's not that much smaller than my shield... That's kind of disappointing.

viking499
December 25, 2013, 12:02 AM
I would rather have my Shield than that.

StrikeFire83
December 25, 2013, 12:22 AM
Does anybody know what magazine that is? Is this verified?

viking499
December 25, 2013, 12:25 AM
I was in a gun shop the other day. The manager said the Glock rep had been there a few days earlier and was talking about the two new addition for next year. A 380 and a long slide.

C0untZer0
December 25, 2013, 12:27 AM
I'm sure it will sell.

If you've ever been to GlockTalk and seen the threads about "Where can I buy the G25 and G28?" I would imagine there are enough buyers right there to make this a successful product rollout.

viking499
December 25, 2013, 12:36 AM
Like has been said before.......if Glock made toilet paper, it would sell........

snooperman
December 25, 2013, 08:29 AM
I think it will sell, but not as much as the Ruger LCP or Kahr CW380. For that size and weight, it should have been a single stack 9mm. I was expecting a 380 much smaller too.

F-111 John
December 25, 2013, 11:31 AM
Does anybody know what magazine that is? Is this verified?

Based on the shape and color of the small sliver of gold lettering at the top of the first image, my guess would be Guns & Ammo.

I took the first image of the magazine cover and superimposed an actual Guns & Ammo magazine cover. I left the small sliver just below the full Guns & Ammo for comparison.

StrikeFire83
December 25, 2013, 02:32 PM
Excellent guess, I think you're right. Thanks for the sleuthing!! Hope it goes on sale soon!!

JN01
December 25, 2013, 05:11 PM
Almost the same height as a G26, only 4/10" shorter, but thinner. With such a miniscule difference in size, it should be a 9mm.

C0untZer0
December 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
Maybe it fills a niche for people who are recoil sensitive and have trouble racking something like a Kahr P390.

John C
December 25, 2013, 06:26 PM
Any idea whether the 42 is locked breech or blow back?

C0untZer0
December 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
I think it's locked breach.

HexHead
December 25, 2013, 07:58 PM
Maybe it really is going to be a nine and this has just been a teaser prior to the actual announcement. Apple does that stuff all the time. Build excitement, then exceed expectations.

C0untZer0
December 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
One can only hope.

autospike
December 25, 2013, 09:33 PM
Should have been a 9. What a disappointment.

snooperman
December 26, 2013, 12:27 PM
I am disappointed too. Who are they competing with? A little too large and heavy for most pocket 380's, such as Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP, etc. Heck, at least if it were a nine, it would compete much better with Ruger LC9, Keltec pf9, Kahr PM9, and Rohrbaugh etc. To me they got it wrong and are not competing much with anything. My 2 cents.

WinThePennant
December 26, 2013, 12:30 PM
Let's see what Glock comes out with before we call it a total failure.

Personally, I'm pretty stoked about a Glock .380.

snooperman
December 26, 2013, 12:34 PM
Other than Glock fans, I do not see it selling well with others in the marketplace. I could be wrong but will have to see how it plays out later.

C0untZer0
December 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
This gun will be profitable.

I've said it before:

Just looking at GlockTalk forum, the number of posts on "Where can I buy the G25 or G28?" There are enough people right there to make this a successful product rollout.

Will it be purchased by people who aren't enamored of a gun just because it is a Glock? NO - probably not, because being much larger than the small 380s like the Kahr P380 and larger even than the pocket nines, it really doesn't serve much of a logical purpose. Someone who needs a largish, (for a 380 ACP), soft recoiling easy racking pistol? Well maybe...

The Beretta 86 was a gun that people with weak hands could operate and it didn't have much felt recoil:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165300&stc=1&d=1338329529

Beretta didn't sell enough of the Model 86 to make it worthwhile to keep producing them.

F-111 John
December 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
I am disappointed too. Who are they competing with?

Based on the size and weight, they're competing with the Ruger LC380.

snooperman
December 26, 2013, 08:32 PM
F-111 John, you are right , but that is a small market compared to the LCP, TCP etc size market. I think they will sell too, like COuntZerO said, to mostly Glock fans. It would be a "Big Bang" if this was a 9mm in that size gun that is pictured in Guns & Ammo. That said, I don't have a crystal ball and will have to wait and see how this plays out for Glock USA.

herrwalther
December 26, 2013, 09:57 PM
A single stack .380? Yeah put me with the yawn crowd.

There is no way the G42 is trying to compete with the LCP. 4oz heavier with the same capacity? If Glock was going to try to make something better they should have put a few more rounds into a bigger frame of .380 or 9mm.

g_one
December 26, 2013, 10:07 PM
Would it really have been that hard for them to take the exact same gun chamber it in 9mm?

WinThePennant
December 26, 2013, 10:09 PM
Do you think they are going to make a .380 and not also make a 9?

If the single-stack .380 is for real, then the single-stack 9mm is coming.

chicharrones
December 27, 2013, 10:24 AM
I was hoping for something more. More specifically a 9mm. I thought I'd do a quick compare now that we have some specs between the G42 and its competition. Unfortunately the Glock doesn't shine compared to others. Look at the height and OAL! Why they decided to jump into the 380 game now is a mystery. :banghead:
For the heck of it I thought I would also compare it to small 9mm models incase they decided to rechamber it later on.

That new Glock .380 sure is sized like a small 9mm. Since Glock basically is showing their version of a Ruger LC380, perhaps they will introducing that same gun as a 9mm soon. Like SHOT Show soon.

C0untZer0
December 27, 2013, 10:40 AM
One can hope...

decoy562
December 27, 2013, 12:57 PM
Same size as my Beretta Nano and it's a 9mm? No thanks and I like Glock.

Peter M. Eick
December 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
Single stack, locked breech, 380?

I am in. Why not? It meets all my requirements for a 380 carry gun.

F-111 John
January 4, 2014, 08:03 PM
Mas Ayoob shows us the Glock 41 and Glock 42:

Glock 41: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_Sd5gcq7Q

Glock 42: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2vuOlhkMCw

Vodoun da Vinci
January 4, 2014, 08:43 PM
Wow...Mr. Ayood explains the whole thing *exactly* like I wanted to hear it said. It's simple - it's about recoil and control. A 9mm the same size would kick too hard to appeal to the very folks who are wanting a slim Glock like this.

This gun is perfect for my Wife or smaller/recoil sensitive shooters who simply cannot/will not manage something with more recoil and the lack of controllable follow up accuracy that come with a tiny gun shooting a more potent round.

Put me down for two of them.

VooDoo

shadow9
January 4, 2014, 09:42 PM
From VoDoun da VinciWow...Mr. Ayood explains the whole thing *exactly* like I wanted to hear it said. It's simple - it's about recoil and control. A 9mm the same size would kick too hard to appeal to the very folks who are wanting a slim Glock like this.

EXACTLY my thoughts when I saw the measurements. Granted, on paper it lost on size to all those others - but I've fired the PF9, and it's abusive to shoot as a 9. The LCP (NOT LC380) has a reputation to be very hard to shoot accurately BECAUSE it's so retardedly tiny and light.

Glock is going in a very WISE direction here - locked breech to make it "+P" capable (or strong SD rounds), also easier to rack. SLIGHTLY larger size to make it easy to hold and point, and SLIGHTLY heavier so it can resist the kick of .380 better than the competition, ALL while still being ULTRA slim, single-stack, and SMALL.

Plus since they don't have a .380 on the market yet, this is a good entrance for one.

Seven High
January 4, 2014, 10:04 PM
I'm still waiting for a Glock 19 in 22lr that is produced by Glock.

WinThePennant
January 4, 2014, 10:07 PM
The G42 is going to be a huge hit.

People who don't understand the "WHY" of the G42 just aren't looking at it objectively. Yes, Glock will probably come up with a similarly sized 9mm. But, there are a lot of people who need a controllable, lightweight, very accurate, very reliable .380.

This one will be a winner. This will be the PERFECT Glock, no -- the PERFECT pistol, for a lot of women.

Don't let anyone talk down the .380 cartridge -- It will get the job done. This G42 will have all the ergos that you expect with a Glock.

Seriously, name one pistol that you'd recommend to a recoil sensitive shooter other than this one? This will be in EVERY conversation when it comes to recommending a pistol to a recoil sensitive shooter. Shield? Yes. Springfield XDS? Yes. But, this one will be softer recoiling than either of those, and in a cartridge that is adequate. Not the best cartridge, but one that is adequate.

JohnKSa
January 4, 2014, 10:21 PM
This one will be a winner. This will be the PERFECT Glock, no -- the PERFECT pistol, for a lot of women.Not just for women, for anyone who has hand strength/recoil sensitivity issues. That could be a huge demographic as the baby boomers get into retirement and age-related hand strength/sensitivity issues begin to be an issue.

I already know of at least one retirement-aged man who is eyeing the Glock 42 and the Ruger LC380 (a similarly sized .380 pistol) as possible self-defense guns.

Vodoun da Vinci
January 4, 2014, 10:52 PM
Exactly. My Wife and I shot virtually (actually...I think it was every single one) every 9mm and .380 offering over the Summer and all of the .380's we shot, with the exception of some older all metal pistols that were marginal for carry/concealment by a small female, were snappy enough that she was better off with the G26 and Beretta Px4 SC that we ended up keeping.

Even the really highly touted .380's like the Sig P238 and especially the Ruger LCP kick as bad as a 9mm...because they are so small and light.

I can't wait to shoot one of these. And with Glocks lower bore axis, coupled with the other features, what recoil is left will be a push (like my G26...it recoils but doesn't flip/snap) and not flipping the pistol up in a way that makes target reacquisition difficult.

I hand load and just looked at some loads for .380 ACP. If the Glock does well with dealing with the recoil as I think it will in this configuration I can bump up a .380 until it is marginally less effective than a 9mm. We have a "bucket list" of pistols left to buy before we have all the guns we targeted for keepers. The G42 was not on the list but I have a feeling if we shoot one it will go to the top of the bucket list immediately and I/we were *not* in the market for a .380 at all.

VooDoo

unlimited4x4
January 5, 2014, 12:57 AM
Delete

GlockFan
January 5, 2014, 01:02 AM
Found this review on the GunandAmmo site...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2014/01/04/revealed-glock-41-42-pistols/

Rexster
January 5, 2014, 03:14 AM
My aging, aching, right wrist may well compel me to try a G42. Yes, 9mm is "better," and for that reason, I have been recently wearing a G17 concealed on my left side, and am function-testing a G19, to be a new member of the team. Having carried "primary" at 0300 for so many years, however, I prefer to keep wearing a weapon on my right hip, too, in case I reflexively reach there, in an emergency, and the more gentler-recoiling, the better. (I believe in training with one's carry guns, shooting with each hand!)

My PPK/S is a solution, for now, but with the barrel fixed to the frame, will recoil more than a locked-breech design, all else being equal. (The classic Walther, being all-steel, means it has some weight to dampen recoil.) The G42 may well be a logical next step.

FWIW, I have been routinely carrying two guns for well over a decade, and before that, off-and-on since 1984. I wear a badge at work, and figure my off-the-clock threat profile merits packing a bit heavy, 24/7.

Peter M. Eick
January 5, 2014, 11:47 AM
Locked breech? According to Mas (see video above) it is.

I am in!

Those that are promoting a 9mm are missing the demographic I believe this gun is aimed for. I will buy one as soon as I see it. A 42 with Night Sights sounds like a great training and carry gun for the wife and family.

Besides, I have thousands of 380's to burn in it.

stogiegila
January 5, 2014, 12:56 PM
Sounds right up my alley. My small arthritic hands with short stubby fingers are having a very difficult time with .45acp now.

While I can still handle the small 9mm (G26 and Kahr CM9) its only a matter of time until I will be down to the G42. I like the P238 but don't care for a safety on a carry gun, so as soon as the G42 comes out I will sell off the P238

The_Armed_Therapist
January 5, 2014, 02:08 PM
Supposedly the are skipping the Model 40 to avoid confusion with being a "Glock 40", which some people may take to mean a Glock chambered in .40 S&W. Not saying it is true, but that is what I have read about it.

Similar to how when I tell people I am carrying a "Glock 22." Even seasoned gun enthusiasts are like, "Glock makes a 22?!" LOL...

F-111 John
January 5, 2014, 03:11 PM
So then Glock will also skip "45"?

Peter M. Eick
January 6, 2014, 08:49 AM
Probably they will. It makes a lot of sense.

Numbers have a lot of meaning and can be confused by simple mis-understandings. Now if they brought out Glock 45 in 45ACP that would make sense. Same thing on Glock 40 if they had brought it out in 40 Short and Weak.

Many from my generation will always think of a Glock 42 is the "answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything".

If you enjoyed reading about "New Glock Model 42" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!