Plated bullets sale

PDA

tcoz
November 27, 2013, 03:12 PM
For those of you who use plated bullets, X-treme will be running 20% off all copper plated bullets Friday thru Monday and they always offer free shipping. I've been using their bullets and swear by them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Plated bullets sale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Schwing
November 27, 2013, 04:05 PM
I started casting so I don't shoot plated much anymore but they do make great bullets.

Walkalong
November 27, 2013, 04:21 PM
Might be time to order some 158 Gr SWC's.

tcoz
November 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
Update---X-treme changed it to a 17% discount instead of 20

bds
November 27, 2013, 08:10 PM
tcoz, can you verify X-Treme's promotion as I cannot verify it on their webpage or on Facebook page.

X-Treme's Facebook page however did mention their sister operation Freedom Munitions offering 5% discount Friday through Monday.

Thanks.

tcoz
November 27, 2013, 08:30 PM
tcoz, can you verify X-Treme's promotion as I cannot verify it on their webpage or on Facebook page.

X-Treme's Facebook page however did mention their sister operation Freedom Munitions offering 5% discount Friday through Monday.

Thanks.
http://www.xtremebullets.com/category-s/48075.htm?Click=231642

bds
November 27, 2013, 08:35 PM
Thanks!

gahunter12
November 27, 2013, 10:58 PM
I got the email! Will be ordering some Friday! That's almost as good as our Xtreme Group bulk buys.

Weber
November 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
How do you know what bullets are good to buy?

I'm new to reloading, so I have been sticking with name brand components like hornady bullets.

Besides buying, and shooting them, how do you know what to look for?

I'm sure application is important, like plinking ammo, hunting, self defense, ect.

In my case, I've started with 223, 308, 300 blackout.

223 will be fun range ammo, and SHTF self defense.

308 hunting, precision range, and some long distance ranges 1000 yards

300 blkout, hunting, and range use.

Thanks for any help.

TfflHndn
November 29, 2013, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the post tcoz! Been meaning to try xtreme for a while, and this special makes it well worth a try. And with free shipping, how can it be a bad thing to have more bullets on the shelf? Score!

brutus51
November 29, 2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the tip. Never tried them before so I bought 500 124gr. 9mm's for 46.49 great price with the free shipping.

SuedePflow
November 29, 2013, 10:17 AM
17% off + free shipping. Awesome combo. Thanks for sharing.

GaryL
November 29, 2013, 11:04 AM
How do you know what bullets are good to buy?

I'm new to reloading, so I have been sticking with name brand components like hornady bullets.

Besides buying, and shooting them, how do you know what to look for?

I'm sure application is important, like plinking ammo, hunting, self defense, ect.

In my case, I've started with 223, 308, 300 blackout.

223 will be fun range ammo, and SHTF self defense.

308 hunting, precision range, and some long distance ranges 1000 yards

300 blkout, hunting, and range use.
You are correct about the application. If you search this site, you will find lots of great recommendations for a large variety of applications. Sometimes you just need to find posts by guys doing the same things you want to do, and search for the little gems scattered about.

Pistol plinking is completely different than long range shooting. There are a number of vendors - several on this forum - who supply great products and service for the plinkers among us. X-treme makes a good product. But I only have experience with their pistol bullets.

For the 1000yd stuff, you are kind of stuck with guys with a proven track record like Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, etc. In some cases, your particular rifle will despise one brand and love another by comparison, for no good reason.

Weber
November 29, 2013, 11:43 AM
Don't forget to put the code in to get the extra 17% off.

I ordered and thought the price showing was with the 17% off, it is not.

That brings the price down to $82.98 for 1,000 223 55gr shipped.

Potatohead
November 29, 2013, 11:53 AM
Appreciate the heads up about the sale!

gahunter12
November 29, 2013, 11:55 AM
I just ordered 5k .40 S&W this morning at 6am. I have been loading XTreme for atleast 2.5 years now. They shoot well for my IDPA loads.

Potatohead
November 29, 2013, 12:11 PM
Sweet deal. Thanks again! Just got me 1000 for my 9 millymeter.
Never loaded plated..Do I just use use jacketed data, not to exceed 1200 fps which is probably middle of the road data wise? Zat sound about right?

hayes1966
November 29, 2013, 12:19 PM
Good deal. Thanks for the heads up (excuse the pun)

leadbury
November 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
You have to type the promo code as one word,no space after the "17"! Took a couple of tries till I figured out,my mom always said I was the smartest.:barf:

gahunter12
November 29, 2013, 12:32 PM
Sweet deal. Thanks again! Just got me 1000 for my 9 millymeter.
Never loaded plated..Do I just use use jacketed data, not to exceed 1200 fps which is probably middle of the road data wise? Zat sound about right?

You can use mid to high lead data, or low to mid Jacket data. XTreme has a thicker platting than others like Rainier, and Berry's. XTreme can be pushed harder than others. I usually use low to mid Jacketed data myself.

87jeep
November 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yea, got there E-mail wendsday, ordered a K this AM. Been using there 124 hp's good quality.

Potatohead
November 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
Sweet! Im a mid range jacketed guy myself so looks like I'm ready to roll...got 1000 cases primed and ready. Thanks Gahunter12

Walkalong
November 29, 2013, 02:21 PM
Ordered 1K of the .38 158 Gr SWC. Nice price. Great shooting bullets. :)

leadbury
November 29, 2013, 03:35 PM
I notice that their lighter weight 9mm plated(even heavy plate) are all sized at .355 The 147"s are .356 and .357. I know plain lead is usually sized .001 over jacketed to slug and seal,any input to why the size differences for the same bullets? I see 45 caliber hornadys jacketed run from .450-.453. Any pressure or accuracy concerns? I"ve never slugged measured any of my barrels.Thanks.

hentown
November 29, 2013, 04:24 PM
Don't forget to put the code in to get the extra 17% off.

I ordered and thought the price showing was with the 17% off, it is not.

That brings the price down to $82.98 for 1,000 223 55gr shipped.

The e-mail I got said that the discount only applied to their plated bullets. The .223 bullets aren't plated; they're fmj, so the discount shouldn't apply.

Potatohead
November 29, 2013, 05:08 PM
Extreme is having a pretty good day from the THR community it looks like.

Weber
November 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
The e-mail I got said that the discount only applied to their plated bullets. The .223 bullets aren't plated; they're fmj, so the discount shouldn't apply.
They do, I ordered 1000 and received $17 dollars off.

ole farmerbuck
November 29, 2013, 08:28 PM
I have $363 worth of bullets in my shopping cart but when I put in 17 special is said it wasnt a valid code. I even copied and paste the words and still wont work. Oh well

leadbury
November 29, 2013, 08:31 PM
I ran into same thing-type it in with no space after the 17 then it worked for me

Walkalong
November 29, 2013, 09:53 PM
Yep, no space. Should have worked copying and pasting though. Maybe you copied an empty space as well.

wlkjr
November 29, 2013, 10:05 PM
I bought 2000 9mm 147 grain for $166 whereas the Berry's I've been shooting would have cost about $215.

slamfirev10
November 30, 2013, 12:14 AM
thanks for the recommendation and discount, placing an order now for 3000 now

Dr.Zubrato
November 30, 2013, 01:51 AM
Swag!
Thanks for the deal!
Are the 224 FMJ's BT?
For that price it don't matter too much, but excellent find!

Skulptor
November 30, 2013, 10:23 AM
Yup, I ordered 4K as well. I use Xtreme for my IDPA loads too. Hell, for most all my shooting, as far as that goes. My IDPA load is very accurate.
I even bought some .223's. I'd have to look at my receipt but I "think" they may have been discounted as well. But not sure. Either way, I need them and they do have free shipping.

LeftyTSGC
November 30, 2013, 11:09 AM
Just ordered 1K of 124gr hp 9mm, great deal. Free Shipping and 17% off.

:neener::neener::neener:

ArchAngelCD
November 30, 2013, 11:28 AM
I have $363 worth of bullets in my shopping cart but when I put in 17 special is said it wasnt a valid code. I even copied and paste the words and still wont work. Oh well
NO spaces in the beginning, middle or end and the code will work...

17special

Yes, the discount applies to those 55gr .224 FMJ bullets but those are the only jacketed bullets included in the discount. (too bad they didn't include a 150/155gr .308 bullets but can we really complain?)

gahunter12
November 30, 2013, 01:11 PM
[Swag!
Thanks for the deal!
Are the 224 FMJ's BT?
For that price it don't matter too much, but excellent find!

They are BT bullets. I have ordered, and loaded about 7k-8k of these this year. Back in March,April,May when everyone was looking for 55gr .224 bullets. XTreme would list 100-200 boxes of 500ct every other day or so.

I have been happy with them so far. They seem to shoot as good as the Hornady 55gr FMJ.

Walkalong
November 30, 2013, 02:00 PM
They seem to shoot as good as the Hornady 55gr FMJ.That would make them quite good for a 55 Gr FMJ.

16in50calNavalRifle
November 30, 2013, 09:12 PM
XTreme's website:

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities.

I am interested in plated mostly for making low-recoil/low-velocity rounds for fun, casual matches, and the wife's revolver practice with a snub in which I do not run lead. Thus my interest is how slowly can I run these plated bullets without fear of a stuck bullet/squib.

Question: could I use Trail Boss at the Hodgon-data max load for lead (e.g. for a 158g LSWC, 4.2 grains) and have an ample margin of safety against a stuck bullet? (my sense is "yes")

I am very tempted to get some of these at these prices - just want to get input from the seasoned panel here that my idea to use them mostly for minimum recoil/velocity recipes is a sound one.

Walkalong
November 30, 2013, 09:18 PM
You need a minimum of 500 FPS to be sure the plated bullet exits every time. This means a powder that can get 500 FPS no matter what position it is in the case. Some do very poorly powder forward. A minimum of 600 FPS is a safer velocity to shoot for, and again it must be met no matter were the powder happens to be in the case. I have seen 300 plus velocities exit, but you don't want to go that low. I have stuck several bullets testing light loads powder forward. A brass rod in the range bag is a must for that.

Oh yea, Trailboss has been erratic for me with plated bullets (Loves lead), so I would stick with a fast pistol powder like Clays, WST, or Competition, or Solo 1000, which all do pretty well powder forward for really light loads. :)

glc24
November 30, 2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks very much for posting this!
Got some 10/40 180 gr. RNFP HPCB.:)

Greg

slamfirev10
November 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
good info Walkalong, thanks

16in50calNavalRifle
November 30, 2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Walkalong.

That's what I feared about TrailBoss - I love it for my light lead loads, but suspected it was not too plated-friendly. Scratch that idea off the list. Which still leaves all the other powders.

Hmmm - I happen to have Solo 1000 (got it "by mistake" just as the deepest phase of the latest panic commenced). But I don't see any 38SP data for it, with any type of bullet. So I'm not sure what my load range would be. I don't have a chrony (DO have a brass rod, ahemm). Perhaps I should email Accurate and see if they will play ball with me on light loads for plated in 38SP?

I have HP38, Silhouette, and VN340 besides the Solo 1000. Looking at the data charts for those, only HP38 shows a velocity much below 900/fps for their starting jacketed loads (661FPS for a 158g Hornady XTP). Maybe that's my ticket? Silhouette and VN340 all have velocities in the 900 FPS neighborhood for their starting loads, and I know from other applications 5g of Silhouette is pretty snappy and not what I'm looking for.

On a more general note, Walkalong, I find the info re powder position and powder performance very interesting (as I tend to use 357 brass with light loads as well). Is there any data source for this sort of thing (which powders perform well regardless of case-fill and position, which less well, which disastrously poorly) aside from picking the brains of veteran reloaders like yourself?

Walkalong
November 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
I have not seen any info on position of powders in cases and the affect it has on velocity. It can be small, or very large. I noticed a difference in shooting rounds when the barrel was brought up from holding it down from shooting after the barrel was up. I started testing loads powder back and powder forward (And powder "level" sometimes). The results were sometimes very surprising.

I load light loads in .357 cases for casual plinking and may be able to help if you PM with a specific question about it.

gahunter12
November 30, 2013, 11:29 PM
I load the 158gr Xtreme SWC for my wife's revo. She right at 575 fps. I can actually see the bullet leaving the barrel. I'm loading W231 for her, but plan to try WST as soon as I finish off the last 12lb or so of W231. I load WST in all my semi auto IDPA rounds. It would be easier to just buy 24lb of WST instead of W231 for her, and WST for my stuff.

16in50calNavalRifle
December 1, 2013, 01:38 AM
gahunter12, sent you a PM.

Walkalong, actually you very graciously helped me out with some light 38/357 load recipes with Solo 1000 a ways back - just remembered. So thanks again for that.

Meanwhile, I've forgotten to apologize for hijacking the thread. Though my topic was directly related to XTreme's plated bullet sale. Plan to order tomorrow.

TenDriver
December 1, 2013, 01:49 AM
Ordered 1000 .223s, 1000 9mm, and 500 44 Mag. Looking forward to loading up! Now I just need primers and powder for Christmas.

LeftyTSGC
December 1, 2013, 06:33 PM
Ordered 1k of 124gr HP for my 9mm, I normally use W231 with my 124gr FMJ from MG loaded with 4.4gr W231, anyone have a good load for the X-treme 124gr HP using W231? I am only looking to get 1050fps avg.

thanks,

Lefty:confused:

rtp
December 1, 2013, 06:39 PM
The '17special' (as mentioned, no spaces) code is good until (through, presumably) tomorrow.

I picked up 1k of their 55gr FMJ previously with a 15% off code, along with 500 of their 124gr HPs. I haven't loaded any of them yet, but looking at the 55gr FMJ (BT), they are very close to the Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT - very slightly longer, and very slightly fatter towards the front of the projectile). I'd bet they load to nearly identical OAL as the Hornady's w/out resetting the die.

Just picked up another 1k of their 55gr FMJ-BT (discount does apply to them, as well) when I saw the 17% off sale. Hope to load and chrono soon, but not seeing anything that would give me pause in picking up more at this point - 8.3c/each is tough to beat short of a great deal on Hornady 6k bulk...of which there haven't been all that many lately.

Walkalong
December 1, 2013, 08:06 PM
MG loaded with 4.4gr W231, anyone have a good load for the X-treme 124gr HP using W231? I am only looking to get 1050fps avg.I would guess about 4.4 to 4.6 Grs, depending on OAL. I load that bullet at 1.060. I would start with 4.4 Grs and work up.

wlkjr
December 1, 2013, 08:51 PM
I really like these Xtreme 124 HPs, although I load mine with 3.6 gr Titegroup at 1.115 all the way up to 1.160 for my 3 Glocks. I get just under 1000 fps with the G17.
I'd like to try some W231 if I can ever find it.

slamfirev10
December 10, 2013, 12:31 AM
just received 1/2 my order.....man are they beautiful

looking for load data, i have a very good load using universal clays and rainier plated hoping they (the bullets) are interchangeable

tia

tcoz
December 10, 2013, 05:45 AM
just received 1/2 my order.....man are they beautiful

looking for load data, i have a very good load using universal clays and rainier plated hoping they (the bullets) are interchangeable

tia
If you don't have plated bullet data, the advice From X-treme is to use either mid-range jacketed or higher end lead velocity data. Don't exceed 1200fps unless you use their heavy plate concave base or hollow point bullets. If you're using Accurate or Ramshot powders, they have plated data for both regular and double-struck (DS) bullets. X-treme bullets are double-struck. They also have a thicker copper plating than most other plated bullets. Yes, they really are beautiful, especially sitting there in that box of 500.

2bfree
December 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
Load Info:
- Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.

1John1:9
December 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
Received my order from them yesterday. That was very quick delivery. Thanks.

Thanks to you tcoz for posting about the sale. I got 2,000 bullets; I only wish I'd ordered more now. It was such a good deal.

slamfirev10
December 10, 2013, 06:45 PM
thanks again for the replies

tcoz
December 10, 2013, 07:03 PM

Thanks to you tcoz for posting about the sale. I got 2,000 bullets; I only wish I'd ordered more now. It was such a good deal.
I'm only too happy to help. We have to save money where we can. Now that you've ordered from them, you'll receive email notification whenever they have a sale. Twice in the past six months, they've had 10% off sales so watch for them.

RetiredUSNChief
December 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
General question for you experienced guys with respect to plated vs. jacketed bullets:

For general plinking/target shooting, what practical difference is there between the two?

Commercially, I typically only shoot jacketed ammo because I don't like cleaning lead...period. That's really my only consideration with respect to plinking/target shooting.

For self-defense (using hollowpoints) it would be another matter because hollowpoint performance is bullet design specific and the jacketing process is an integral part of this.

But when I get my reloading set up established, what practical difference does it really make whether I buy plated or jacketed ball ammunition for my 9mm and .45 acp?

tcoz
December 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
General question for you experienced guys with respect to plated vs. jacketed bullets:

For general plinking/target shooting, what practical difference is there between the two?

Commercially, I typically only shoot jacketed ammo because I don't like cleaning lead...period. That's really my only consideration with respect to plinking/target shooting.

For self-defense (using hollowpoints) it would be another matter because hollowpoint performance is bullet design specific and the jacketing process is an integral part of this.

But when I get my reloading set up established, what practical difference does it really make whether I buy plated or jacketed ball ammunition for my 9mm and .45 acp?
The most practical difference is the cost. Plated bullets have the advantage of not leaving lead residue in the barrel unless you load them at velocities higher than those recommended by the manufacturer. X-treme, Berry's and Ranier are the major manufacturers.

Walkalong
December 10, 2013, 08:49 PM
what practical difference does it really make whether I buy plated or jacketed ball ammunition for my 9mm and .45 acp?Very little. Plated will work just fine for you. The Berrys 124 Gr HBRN-TP will take anything the 9MM can dish out. I have a hot .38 Super load with it that works very well. I run the X-Treme 124 Gr HP at 1050ish and it is soft shooting and very accurate. (Close to 1200 in the 16" AR with not problems.) We were shooting steel at 300 yards with them in the AR a few weekends back. (Aim high) The .45 ACP runs at such low pressure and velocity that plated is perfect for it. Give it a try.

ole farmerbuck
December 10, 2013, 08:50 PM

What day did you order them? Myorder still shows 'processing'. No problem though.

RetiredUSNChief
December 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
Great! Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Plated bullets sale" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!