Any flashlight ideas?

PDA

Gary O
November 30, 2013, 12:59 PM
I am elected to purchase a tactical flashlight as a gift. The limit is $75. What say you? Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Any flashlight ideas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
plouffedaddy
November 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
In that budget----Streamlight ProTac HL.

6hVkRlUG5pA

kbbailey
November 30, 2013, 02:46 PM
+1 on the Streamlight.

Got mine from amazon.com.

ugaarguy
November 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
I'd grab a clearance ArmyTek Viking S or Viking X from Illumination Supply (https://illuminationsupply.com/clearance-c-28_55_102/?zenid=52076f8a65052c6d00dc1d8ff66bffa1) for $45. Get the Viking S if you want more throw (longer illumination distance) or the Viking X if you want more flood and higher total output at the cost of some beam distance.

Grab a Nitecore i2 charger for $13 (https://illuminationsupply.com/chargers-c-48_51/nitecore-intellicharge-i2-p-448.html#.Upo9_MSsg68) while you're there, and then head over to RTD Vapor and grab an AW 18650 IMR 2000 mAh battery (http://rtdvapor.com/index.php/batteries/aw-imr-18650-3-7v-2000mah.html) (or two) for $12. That's the same price as a 12 pack of Surefire CR123A batteries, and that 18650 battery replaces a pair of CR123 batteries in lights like the ArmyTek that can use either. Recharge that battery 6 times and it and the charger have paid for themselves.

The ArmyTek lights are made in Canada from US and Japanese sourced components. The fit, finish, and overall quality are at least as good as Surefire.

herrwalther
November 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
I looked at the Protac HL and loved it, but didn't see the personal need for a light with 600 lumens. So I went one step down and got the Protac 2L which is 260 lumens. Works just fine but both are great lights.

needmorecowbell
November 30, 2013, 04:03 PM
Check out Fenix. I just got the TK15 for $71 on Amazon and am quite impressed.

Outlaw Man
November 30, 2013, 11:43 PM
Stream light and Fenix are my favorites.

Is it going to be for someone who doesn't mind tracking down and spending the money on CR123As, or do you need to stick to more commercial AAs and AAAs?

herrwalther
December 1, 2013, 03:30 AM
Is it going to be for someone who doesn't mind tracking down and spending the money on CR123As,

The cost of CR123s can be greatly offset by using rechargeable batteries. I know Streamlight does not recommend rechargeable batteries but I have had no problems using them in mine. I got charger off Amazon that charges CR123 (flashlights) and CR2 (Viridian laser/light) batteries. Ultrafire rechargeable batteries can be bought in large packs also off Amazon as well.

If battery choice is paramount there is a flashlight that can run off one AA, AAA or CR123 battery called the Omnivore. Can be found in most places for less than $50 too.

hq
December 1, 2013, 03:35 AM
Does it have to be "tactical"? For sheer lightpower, good throw and usable spill, beer can sized Skyray King with four 18650 batteries and a charger might fit your budget. With either 3, 4, 5 or 6 XML T-6 LEDs it's much brighter than the majority of "tactical" lights on the market and compares favorably to $300+ Olight flashlights, while being more portable thanks to its battery layout.

Outlaw Man
December 1, 2013, 08:56 AM
The cost of CR123s can be greatly offset by using rechargeable batteries. I know Streamlight does not recommend rechargeable batteries but I have had no problems using them in mine. I got charger off Amazon that charges CR123 (flashlights) and CR2 (Viridian laser/light) batteries. Ultrafire rechargeable batteries can be bought in large packs also off Amazon as well.

If battery choice is paramount there is a flashlight that can run off one AA, AAA or CR123 battery called the Omnivore. Can be found in most places for less than $50 too.
I don't disagree - many lights have optional rechargeable packs that aren't much more than generic rechargeables. But shouldn't that be a factor in the decision?

For instance, I just recently switched my EDC and Get Home/Bug Out gear to standardize around the AA battery since they're so prevalent. Thus, I've only been buying AA lights recently. Being a flashlight nut, I'd be happy with anything, but for right now, a CR123A light wouldn't be as useful.

basicblur
December 1, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'm partial to Streamlight (Surefire is just too darn pricey).

Can't complain 'bout the Streamlight HL, but you may not need that much power?

Here's a review of various Streamlights I left on Amazon (focusing on the PT-2L).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2LM1LA3IUTD53/ref=pdp_new_read_full_review_link?ie=UTF8&page=4&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R33YETO8VCTCUE

I keep a Protac PT-2L on my belt at all times - hard to beat for the price / output / convenience.

I think folks make too much of wanting AA batteries - are we not thinking "old school" here folks?
1. Compare apples to apples - folks compare AA's (Alkaline) to CR123's (lithium).
2. If you buy AA lithiums, you'll probably find you can get CR123's cheaper.
3. I prefer to put lithiums in all my high tech toys due to less tendency to leak (do your really want to open up that fancy light or your EOTech only to find your alkaline batteries have puked?).
4. My lights see intermittent use - as such, I like the extended shelf life of lithium batteries.
5. My lights that stay in each vehicle all have lithiums - alkalines tend to leak in hot weather.
6. If you use few CR123's, check Lowes in the flashlight section - Surefires sell for around $2.50 each - much less than Walmart charges in the photography section. If you're using more than a few, one of the Pelican cases with foam inserts for CR123's is nice - you have plenty of spares with a long shelf life.
7. I like the shorter form factor of CR123's over longer, slimmer AA's.

skoro
December 1, 2013, 10:07 AM
Not "tacticool" but compact, lightweight, and extremely bright.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-4750-180-Lumen-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B002OOZERY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385910355&sr=8-2&keywords=dorcy+flashlight

I love the fact that the body isn't round, so it doesn't roll off into the distance when you set it down. Even better is the flat end, allowing you to stand it up pointing at the ceiling to light up a room.

Gary O
December 1, 2013, 03:17 PM
I am the original poster and I would like to thank you folks for your suggestions. Now I have more info to add: I would like:
anodized aluminum body.
will use for home defense/weapons light.
will not train with light...
Now: what say you? Thanks again...

HisStigness
December 1, 2013, 03:31 PM
IMHO I don't think it's worth it to spend that much money on a flashlight. I just take one of those little led flashlights that companies give away and stick it in a scope ring. Yes, I'm sure those flashlights aren't that reliable and it looks low rent, but it's a flashlight that attaches to a gun. And for me that's all I need.

J_McLeod
December 1, 2013, 04:18 PM
How about a Surefire G2 and VTAC mount? The combination is right around your budget. The G2 is useful for so many other things besides the weapon. I take it with me on every trip, vacation and work.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/lightsmounts_lightmount.html

http://www.surefire.com/g2-nitrolon.html

I think you can get both at Amazon too

herrwalther
December 1, 2013, 05:52 PM
I am the original poster and I would like to thank you folks for your suggestions. Now I have more info to add: I would like:
• anodized aluminum body.
• will use for home defense/weapons light.
• will not train with light...
Now: what say you? Thanks again...

The Protac 2L would still be my choice. Every company and their brother makes flashlight mounts to fit on a railed weapon. One thing i did fail to mention on the 2L: don't get it if you are partial to belt clips. The belt clip on the 2L comes off way too easily and will get lost. Mine fell off somewhere within the first month.

For instance, I just recently switched my EDC and Get Home/Bug Out gear to standardize around the AA battery since they're so prevalent. Thus, I've only been buying AA lights recently. Being a flashlight nut, I'd be happy with anything, but for right now, a CR123A light wouldn't be as useful.

And that is the main reason why AA and AAA flashlights are used more for EDC than 123 lights. I have a small stockpile of 123 batteries (rechargable and regular) that I can take on longer trips as well as AC/USB/car chargers for the battery charger. Always pays to be a little bit prepared.

Outlaw Man
December 1, 2013, 07:28 PM
I've got a stash of CR123s as well. My rechargers are currently all AA and AAA, though.

I'm going to have to second the Protac 2L. I think that's really going to be a good choice for those parameters.

ClickClickD'oh
December 1, 2013, 07:35 PM
Another vote for the Streamlight PT-2L. Mine replaced a well worn and well loved Surefire 6P, and I don't regret the change at all. Wonderful little light.

wgaynor
December 1, 2013, 08:35 PM
I bought this from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006E0QAFY/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $4, 300LM, mounts to my shotgun easily, and works without issues.

Sure, you can spend alot more on something that does the same thing, but why?

zerobarrier
December 1, 2013, 08:42 PM
I got a surefire g2x 320 lumen flashlight on ebay last month for $68.99 with free shipping. It is great, I have a 100 yards range in my back yard and at night I can easily see the targets out to 100yards. I used a gear sector flashlight mount

http://smith-wessonforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=129399&d=1382242374

kbbailey
December 3, 2013, 01:39 PM
Zero Barrier....
my SR556 is set up just like yours except no bipod....and right handed.
I have a Streamlight mounted just like yours and it too is good for 100yds or so in the dark of night with my 6x scope.
Sometimes the coyotes are close enough to keep the dogs in an uproar, and I need to go out and settle the matter. It is also a great 'bump-in-the-night' gun.

ugaarguy
December 3, 2013, 09:35 PM
I bought this from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's $4, 300LM, mounts to my shotgun easily, and works without issues.

Sure, you can spend alot more on something that does the same thing, but why?
Because it doesn't do the same thing. That light is sold under various names all over the web. Sometimes you get a single mode, sometimes a three mode, and sometimes a five mode. It just depends on what LED driver was cheapest that day when the batch yours came from was built. Who knows what LED is in them for that matter. The switches on those lights aren't durable at all either. Then you have to look at the marginal at best build quality.

The company may claim 300 lumens, but I doubt that light puts out 300 lumens at the emitter. Even if it did, the OTF output is greatly hampered by the cheap, cloudy lens that put in those.

There are some good Chinese made lights, like those from FourSevens, Fenix, Olight, SolarForce and a few others. The no name lights don't fall into the good category.

mokin
December 7, 2013, 02:55 PM
I like my Streamlite and Maglight. Before I had those I relied on Pelican lights. I still prefer the Pelicans if I know I'm going to be around deep water.

nyc71
December 7, 2013, 04:30 PM
I lost 2 PT 2L because the clip came off. I would never buy another again. Don't get me wrong I like streamlight (own several) but will not buy that model again. You should go to candleforums.com for more in depth research.

Slotback
December 8, 2013, 12:39 PM
I have quite a few of the Fenix lights around the house. Good price, handy to have around.

Takem406
December 8, 2013, 10:11 PM
I've got two Streamlights. I just bought the HL for the night stand, however it's seeing use setting up my goose spread. It's got 600 lumens. It will. Light up my whole top level of my small 2000 sq ft home.
Then my EDC is a ProTac 2.
Surefire makes a good light, but they are bulky and expensive.

Steve32
December 15, 2013, 05:11 AM
Fenix PD35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGIXZNmjqCw

:cool:

the.batman
December 22, 2013, 12:03 PM
I've got Streamlight, Surefire, Fenix and for the money, the Fenix seems just as solid.

Inebriated
December 22, 2013, 12:40 PM
I just bought a Surefire G2x Tactical (single output, 320 lumen) off Amazon last night for $59. Now... The G2x isn't touted as a weapon light, so no 12 gauge or .308. But 5.56, 5.45, 7.62x39, my Pro model has held up well.

As for a mount, a VTAC is $20. The $60 light and $20 VTAC will leave you at $80.

45crittergitter
December 23, 2013, 03:47 PM
+1 for the Streamlight ProTac HL. $67.27 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RB82CS/ref=asc_df_B007RB82CS2895056?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextagus0040037-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B007RB82CS

jcwit
December 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
Somehow I'm able to struggle along with a few of these for my wife and myself. True I did have to wait a few weeks for them to arrive, but the cost wasn't crazy either. YUP, Made in china as are the Streamlights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-1800-Lumen-Zoomable-18650-Flashlight-Torch-Zoom-Lamp-/281231500769?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item417ab425e1

LongRider
January 8, 2014, 09:19 PM
Check out Fenix. I just got the TK15 for $71 on Amazon and am quite impressed.
I bought three of Fenix PD20's. The first one burnt out in under a month. Every contact support address, phone number to Feix was a dead end. Customer service was not bad it is non existent. The Fenix PD20 only has two settings high and low lumen output, with a strobe function for each. I found the need to unscrew or tighten the body for high or low output cumbersome and the strobe for each very different. They burn batteries faster than anything else I have ever had. For an EDC a 123 battery lasts about one week. That comes to a bit over $520 a year to operate. Not what I would call inexpensive.

I have several NovaTac's (http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/novatac.html) that I like. Each has high medium and low lumen out put and a strobe. All functions including off/ on are controlled via the tail cap. Some models are programmable so that you can decide what order the functions are available ie do you want to start out high, low medium lumen or strobe. Batteries for EDC last about a month, about $120 a year as opposed to $520. When the battery starts to go the light lets you know by defaulting to low lumen. My weapons lights last over a year unless I am training with them than it varies depending on use. But I replace the batteries annually. Even my AimPoint red dots get a new battery every year. Some of my NoaTacs are over six years old. None have ever failed even though some have had the crap beat out of them. I lost one for about four months frozen and thawed in Washington mud . Worked fine, the battery was even OK though I did change it out immediately. NovaTac makes a very good product at a reasonable price. I believe there are a couple available in your price range.

I would avoid any of the cheapo LED knock offs. They are pretty much guaranteed to fail the instant your life depends on it working. I threw some as back ups into a tool box, they died having never been used. Yes I did check and replace the batteries both when I bought them and when they failed. Being cheap seems like a really stupid reason for dying

If you enjoyed reading about "Any flashlight ideas?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!