More info on the Treadwell killing...

PDA

Preacherman
March 28, 2004, 11:00 AM
Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenaard were killed by a grizzly bear in Alaska last year. The Anchorage Daily News has now published a great deal of information gleaned during the investigation, and it makes interesting reading. See here (http://www.adn.com/front/story/4898071p-4833196c.html) for details.

If you enjoyed reading about "More info on the Treadwell killing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
March 28, 2004, 11:38 AM
Very interesting. It would appear this tree-hugger got what he ask for and unfortunately got someone else killed (and eaten) too. Perhaps the authorities should keep some pictures handy to show others who are simularly deluded about the dangers involved. Nature it would seem, is not a Disney movie.

Andrew Rothman
March 28, 2004, 01:56 PM
Fuff,

Your name-calling of Treadwell gives perfectly sane tree-huggers a bad name. Trees rarely try to eat you when you hug them. :)

Gewehr98
March 28, 2004, 03:05 PM
Treadwell has indeed become one with the bears. :scrutiny:

NRA4LIFE
March 28, 2004, 03:12 PM
Too bad they had to kill the bear. Otherwise, Treadwell would have GOTTEN his ultimate wish. To be a pile of bear scat.

4v50 Gary
March 28, 2004, 03:23 PM
There otta be a law to protect grizzlies from stupid people who go out and get themselves killed by the grizzlies.

Waitone
March 28, 2004, 03:26 PM
Nature demands our respect because ultimately Mother Nature is a bitch. Those who have fuzzy and cuddly feelings about Mother Nature have never tried to outrun a forest fire, been caught at sea in a hurricane, or hit a ditch to avoid a tornado, or tried to outlive a drought, or tried to land in a jet liner during a severe thunderstorm.

Mother Nature deserves our honor and respect. Playing footsie with Grizzly Bears is neither.

Travis McGee
March 28, 2004, 04:38 PM
According to the audio part of the video tape recovered, he was eaten while he was still alive and screaming, and she was eaten alive next, after listening to him screaming in pain and horror, and listening to the bear's eating sounds. Then she was eaten alive.

That can't be much fun.

Jeff White
March 28, 2004, 05:23 PM
I don't understand why we feel it's necessary to punish the bear for being a bear? It's not like the bear acted with malice. The grizzly was just doing what grizzlies do.

We had an incident near here a few years ago where a rock python escaped from it's aquarium and ended up killing an infant. The parents were 100% responsible for what happened yet there was a big public outcry to destroy the snake.

Wild animals are...wild animals and no one should be surprized when they act like wild anilmals.

Jeff

Roadkill Coyote
March 28, 2004, 05:29 PM
Notice that all the statements about the late Mr. Treadwell's organization list the preservation of Grizzlies ahead of any mention of education, and that the immediate instinctive reaction of the organization was to suppress the news? This in spite of the fact that understanding what caused a multiple fatality might prevent the future killings of both people and bears. Their actions belie any claims they might make about being involved in legitimate education or research.

It would appear that their behavior is more far more educational than their propaganda...

uglymofo
March 28, 2004, 07:05 PM
Curiously, I haven't been able to find Turdwell's name (nor his girlfriend's) listed as winners at the Darwin Awards site. I would have thought with all the publicity, that they would have been a shoe-in.

As I've said before, it's a damn shame this jerk's actions cost the life of a bear, but I've always maintained that I couldn't figure out who was more stupid--him, or his girlfriend for following him.

Gewehr98
March 28, 2004, 07:27 PM
Or a new cause for them to espouse - People Eaten (after) Teasing Animals. :eek:

Preacherman
March 28, 2004, 10:14 PM
Or found a new organization called BETA - Bears Eating Treadwell's you-know-what... :D

Chuck Dye
March 28, 2004, 10:28 PM
I don't understand why we feel it's necessary to punish the bear for being a bear? It's not like the bear acted with malice. The grizzly was just doing what grizzlies do.

…it's a damn shame this jerk's actions cost the life of a bear…

Troopers and park rangers who investigated the deaths of Treadwell and Huguenard believe they killed that bear -- a 1,000-pound male -- after it threatened them. (emphasis added)

I appreciate the sentiment, guys, but think it may be misplaced. Unless, of course, you feel the troopers and rangers are as deserving of being eaten as the blissninnies.

Harry Tuttle
March 28, 2004, 10:55 PM
ya know a 1000 pound brown bear can dispatch a man with one blow

this one didn't

i gather there was some bear malice involved

rock jock
March 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
Still, Treadwell had told enough tales of poachers to California audiences that Hill, according to one of his reports, "received a telephone call from Rosemary White with the Sierra Club. She expressed her insight of the events regarding Treadwell's death being most likely committed by a hunter, due to Treadwell's past reports of having run-ins with poachers and Treadwell's acceptance by the bear population.''
I am sure that even now over on some tree-hugger web forum there is some nutcase conspiratorialist blaming "one of those d*** hunters who made it look like a bear attack." Kindred spirits with more than few here on THR.

Cosmoline
March 29, 2004, 01:46 AM
All reports I've read said the responding rangers shot both the big boar and the second bear at point-blank range as they charged or menanced. The human remains had to be recovered, and the bears were not hunted down as "mankillers." This isn't done in AK, and indeed there are plenty of bear out there alive today who have injured and even killed people.

Cosmoline
March 29, 2004, 01:50 AM
ya know a 1000 pound brown bear can dispatch a man with one blow

Sometimes this happens when a bear is surprised and lashes out, but if a brownie boar of that magnitude wants to eat you he frankly doesn't need to bother to kill you first. There are many accounts of big brownies slowly eating on people who are half dead. In some cases the people manage to escape, but not many. The animal is so huge and powerful you can offer no effective resistance with your hands. This is one reason the film "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins cracks me up. All a boar of that size has to do to kill you is sit down on you for a while.

Wildalaska
March 29, 2004, 02:28 AM
I bearly have the energy to comment on this thread, although the imlied glorification of this nincompoop really eats me...a less liberal paper than the Anchorage Daily Worker truly would have savaged Treadweel for his actions. Im sure it really eats the PETA people that he got killed by a warm fuzzy teddy...

WildenoughAlaska

Wildalaska
March 29, 2004, 02:30 AM
here are many accounts of big brownies slowly eating on people who are half dead. In some cases the people manage to escape, but not many

If you are referring to that lady up near Fairbanks, that was a black bear. I am not familiar with any stories of Brown Bears doin that, tho I could be worng.

WildyumyumAlaska

4v50 Gary
March 29, 2004, 02:31 AM
People tend to forget that when in Bear Country, have an armored division set up a perimeter around your camp. Other than scratch the paint, bear claws don't do squat to chobam armor.

Flying V
March 29, 2004, 02:38 AM
Or found a new organization called BETA - Bears Eating Treadwell's you-know-what...

Bears Eating Tasty Activists.

March 29, 2004, 02:40 AM
Maybe his successor in the organization will decide that polar bears need help... Nothing wrong with hugging trees as long as they are trees that YOU OWN on YOUR land and not those on someone land...

The_Antibubba
March 29, 2004, 05:57 AM
The Park Rangers didn't kill the Grizzy because it ate Treadwell. They just wanted to be sure he was truly dead, and hit the bear COM.

:evil:

BigG
March 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
Bear killings - that's a helluva way to prove that Darwin had a point. Well the gene pool is better for it. :uhoh:

sturmruger
March 29, 2004, 12:08 PM
What is the saying about playing with fire????? Oh ya sooner or later you are going to get BURNED :fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "More info on the Treadwell killing..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!