"Rim Fire Only" catagory

PDA

Gunmeister
March 28, 2004, 11:14 AM
How many rim fire enthusiasts out there would like to see THR dedicate a catagory to Rim Fire Only? Such a catagory would be dedicated to Target Shooters, small game hunters, varminteers and hobbiests who enjoy thier rim fire firearms.
I am aware of several such sites dedicated to this subject but I for one would like to see THR have a topic such as this.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Rim Fire Only" catagory" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WhoKnowsWho
March 28, 2004, 11:28 AM
Posting this only in the Technical Support would have been good enough...

I for one don't see a need for a dedicated Rim Fire area, I think they fit fine in the available categories as it is.

Gunmeister
March 28, 2004, 11:37 AM
WHOKNOWS, my post in Tech Support was directed at staff. General Discussion is read by more members so I am simply trying to get an opinion from members. I obviously got yours, sorry you disagree.

BarnsBeware
March 28, 2004, 11:49 AM
Hmmm, I don't know. I think it might be worth it, as I know lots of people that all have different kinds of shotguns, rifles, autos, revolvers etc, but out of all of them, EACH ONE owns AT LEAST one rimfire.

I've had the problem on THR where "my interest spans more than one topic, so where should I post?" Maybe a poll is in order, but not necessarily "who wants a rimfire section?", but more of a "would a rimfire section be useful to you?" sort of thing.

Actually, with all the bullseye stuff, varminting, family can-shoots, and everything else going on, you could start a mini-forum site on just rimfire. Hell, they did it with Glocks, CZs, and ARs... I'd join. I love my little Mark II.

gbran
March 28, 2004, 12:14 PM
I have scoped, red dotted and iron sighted handguns and long guns of both 22lr and 22wmr. I shoot varmints, small game and targets and cans. Let's not forget the new 17hmr shooters either.

BlkHawk73
March 28, 2004, 12:28 PM
sounds good to me. Those that don't care for centerfire need to weed thru all the postes to find rimfire ones, why not have a seperate forum for rimfires. good idea.

BarnsBeware
March 28, 2004, 12:32 PM
Honestly, I was skeptical about this new fangled 17 HMR stuff, but the rifles are just... so... pretty!! :(
I've been fighting the fever to get one for about 3 months now. Its only a matter of time before I surrender to it...

Graystar
March 28, 2004, 12:54 PM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

CB900F
March 28, 2004, 01:20 PM
Fella's;

I'm all for it. Although I frequent the rifles category, I find that most of it concerns the AK/AR ilk. I find nothing wrong with that, it's just that my interests don't lie in that direction. I do, however, do a lot of rimfire hunting with various rifles & would very much enjoy seeing a topic dedicated to rimfires.

900F

Baby Huey
March 28, 2004, 04:47 PM
I would definitely like it. I spend too much time lurking around for information as it is, and having to go over to rimfirecentral.com doesn't help. They seem to be too focused on 10/22's.

Preacherman
March 28, 2004, 05:02 PM
Folks, suggestions like this belong in Technical Support. That's why we say in the forum descriptions:Technical Support
Suggestions and Questions for the Staff.This does NOT belong in General Discussion.

jamz
March 28, 2004, 06:33 PM
I was initially against this idea, until I read the forums at www.rimfirecentral.com - it was like wading though a verbal junkyard.

Now it might not be so bad- everyone does indeed have a .22 of some sort, and it might be nice to have a place just for that. While the forums should not be organized around caliber generally speaking, the ubiquitousness of the .22 almost deserves a forum of it's own.

-James

CB900F
March 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
Preacherman;

I disagree. If you want to find out what the membership wants, & care to get a representative sample, then it needs to be open where people can see it.

Looking at the difference between thread & post counts for Tech Support vs General Gun Discussions makes this obvious.

900F

Gunmeister
March 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
CB900F I thank you sir, my sentiments exactly.
PREACHERMAN as you yourself said Tech Support is for suggestions to the staff. What I wanted to do was get a general opinion from a cross section of THR members and as CB900F says, look at the difference in the number of members who read Tech Support compared to General Discussion.
I feel Preacherman was wrong moving this thread. As is obvious, I also posted this in Tech Support and General Gun Discussion. Maybe Preacherman neglected to read the Tech Support column in it's entirety.

Mal H
March 28, 2004, 10:40 PM
This comes up every so often. Here was the last one: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65726

The current forums handle all rimfire firearms quite well. I haven't seen a rimfire subject go wanting for views and responses.

Majic
March 29, 2004, 02:28 AM
I'm all for it. It saves wading thru all the centerfire posts which dominates the threads. We have rifles, shotguns, 3 catergories for handguns, and black powder. I think rimfire would be successful.
Count me in.

ice
December 30, 2004, 01:48 PM
I'm all for it. It saves wading thru all the centerfire posts which dominates the threads. We have rifles, shotguns, 3 catergories for handguns, and black powder. I think rimfire would be successful.
Count me in.

What he said. My sentiments exactly.

Mal H
December 30, 2004, 02:06 PM
So noted.

gbran
December 30, 2004, 02:24 PM
I frequent the rimfirecentral.com forums, but prefer THR. I currently am very active with my own rimfire handguns and rifles and would really like to see a rimfire section, as opposed to skimming other categories for revolvers, autoloaders, rifles, etc.

Count me in.

sm
December 30, 2004, 03:25 PM
I enjoy and appreciate the Rimfire as much as anyone.

THR and TFL both have EXCELLENT Clean, Clear, and Concise easy to navigate and easy to read Forums.

Any and All discussions are quite easily handled and responded to. I have visited sites and to ME they are a victim of "Line Extension". Line Extensions cause problems, more headaches for moderating, and in- fighting.

One used to buy a 6 1/2 oz Coca Cola. Now we have umpteen "varieties" of Coke. Now add the other companies. Deodorant is another, I don't need a / and I don't want to hunt all over the damn shelf , with umpteen "types" - and just who in the hell uses a " tropical bubble gum with extract of bumble- bee kisses scent " anyway?

Line Extensions have been the demise of many a product or company (paraphrased) - Trout and Reyes , authors of Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind

The way I see it - simple is best.

I suggest the use of the Search function more often.

I would also suggest folks start a Rimfire thread with " ( RF)" - easy to see that thread is about rimfire.

Same thing we try to with news events "(AZ)" tells us the story is from Arizona...or isthat one Arkansas, maybe Alaska, or is it?.... :uhoh:

Oh hell its one of them states that starts with an "A" :D

You get my point.

Arizona ;)

tall2tango
January 4, 2005, 09:00 AM
While I understand SM's point, getting an "(RF)" designator convention across to THR members at large seems an unlikely-to-succeed path to success. Conventions (rules) just seem to get forgotten or igonored. So, I vote for having a Rimfire category on THR.

I peruse several forums for info - rimfirecentral, glocktalk, and some brand-specific ones. The one I keep coming back to and prefer is THR. The folks here have the demeanor, the range of both smarts and humor, and desire to share good info that fits me best. I'm capable of using, and have used, Search functionality; however, I do find it preferrable to be able to scan given topic areas over using Search. If we had to use Search at a high level on THR to locate info of interest on a given topic, say Shotguns or Autoloaders, instead of being able to pick these topic forums as we are now able, the community here would not be what it is.

Yes, we can sub-forum to a ridiculous level; IMHO, adding a Rimfire category would not drive THR to that level of absurdity. Thanx for listening. :)

BR...

JohnBT
January 4, 2005, 02:29 PM
"RFC - it was like wading though a verbal junkyard."

I resemble that remark. :o I resembled it more before they trimmed the board and I lost 500 or 1,000 posts or so.

I think we need lefthanded rifle section, too. I'm not lefthanded, I just think we need one.

John...whatever all y'all decide.

otomik
January 4, 2005, 04:08 PM
I like the rimfire section idea

I'd also support splitting up the rifles section into something like an autoloading rifle MBR type section and manually operated sections similar to how the handgun sections are broken up

Cindog
January 4, 2005, 05:38 PM
As long as we are voicing worthless opinions, I am all for a dedicated rimfire section :)

cottontoptexan
January 5, 2005, 08:03 PM
I shoot many 22 rimfires and i enjoy the www.rimfirecentral.com web site. It is very good i feel .

BluesBear
January 24, 2005, 02:50 AM
My usless opinion is that Rimfire needs and topic are aleady covered quite well under the existing topics.

If we have a rimfire forum then the next thing you know someone will be pineing for a 9mm forum so they don't have to wade through .40S&W threads etc, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Rim Fire Only" catagory" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!