Best high volume case trimmer 223?

PDA

OldRook77
December 3, 2013, 08:35 PM
Christmas is coming. I despise trimming .223 on my bench mounted trimmer.

What is the best system some of you might recommend?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best high volume case trimmer 223?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
December 3, 2013, 08:39 PM
If you have deep pockets, the Giraud or the Gracey are excellent.

Not so deep, the WFT ("World's Finest Trimmer") is similar in concept as the Giraud or Gracey but uses a drill motor for the drive.

The Lee system is good and pretty economical. I see Lyman has come out with a similar system as the Lee but have had not heard any comments about it.

Hope this helps.

jb27
December 3, 2013, 08:41 PM
Giraud if you can swing it. Some day I hope to get one. In addition to trimming, it also chamfer and debur the cases. I've never used or seen one in person, but from everything I've read, they are the way to go.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

Nickb45
December 3, 2013, 09:00 PM
I've heard a lot of good about the Dillon trimmer that trims when you size.

I use a Bridgeport mill with parts from a Hornady Cam lock trimmer.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/nicksb45/8D64EB9D-1AEA-48F3-9ADE-288B9AFED523_zpsxwxnnnnf.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/nicksb45/media/8D64EB9D-1AEA-48F3-9ADE-288B9AFED523_zpsxwxnnnnf.jpg.html)

Dr.Zubrato
December 3, 2013, 09:11 PM
How do people like the WFT? I could see hand chamfering each case, I guess, that isnt to bad. I'm looking to replace my lee setup, pain in the butt tightening that case holder and unscrewing it for every case. I do love that I can trim chamfer/deburr on a drill though. Lee could really make a smart move and cut some edges onto it so I could tighten it like a nut with a tool..

OldRook77
December 3, 2013, 09:15 PM
That Giraud is the bomb. Pricey but.........

Thanks!!

warhwkbb
December 3, 2013, 09:30 PM
For low cost yet high volume trimming, I use an RCBS Trim Pro with the 3-way cutter and a cordless drill. No chamfering required. I can do 600p/h in bursts and routinely do 1k in a session.

The 3-way cutters are worth every penny and possibly the best dollar value out of all of my reloading equipment.

Nickb45
December 3, 2013, 09:31 PM
I have heard really good things about the rcbs 3way cutter that will go on an rcbs trimmer or Hornady.

I wish I could find one in stock somewhere I just did a run of 4000pcs.

dcloco
December 3, 2013, 09:38 PM
Google "Possum Hollow Case Trimmer". I use a couple of these and in combination of my RCBS Case Prep center, it takes most of the chore out of brass prep.

eam3clm@att.net
December 3, 2013, 09:38 PM
I like the WFT for trimming 223. I chuck it in my drill press and away I go. I debur and chamfer with a hornady case prep trio, which is on sale at cabelas for 79.99.

Weber
December 3, 2013, 09:58 PM
I like the dillon.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm198/WeberSteve/null_zps1ff22a20.jpg

jmorris
December 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
+1 for the Dillon for high volume. One can size/deprime and trim 1800 cases an hour easy.

frankmako
December 3, 2013, 10:42 PM
Possum Hollow Case Trimmer is what i use for 5.56. real fast.

cfullgraf
December 3, 2013, 10:49 PM
How do people like the WFT? I could see hand chamfering each case, I guess, that isnt to bad. I'm looking to replace my lee setup, pain in the butt tightening that case holder and unscrewing it for every case. I do love that I can trim chamfer/deburr on a drill though. Lee could really make a smart move and cut some edges onto it so I could tighten it like a nut with a tool..

If you twist the case in the WFT while trimming, the need to deburr and chamfer is virtually eliminated. But, I like to take the edge off anyway.

On the Lee trimmer shell holders, you can use the appropriate oemend wrench that fits across the opening in the shell holder and the rear radius. It will snug up and loosen the shell holder just fine.

I think I have used a 9/16" or 5/8" wrench mostly but I have slept since then.

I keep a set of short wrenches at my loading bench for just such a need. An adjustable wrench will work but I find adjustable wrenches frequently are self adjustable.

eldon519
December 3, 2013, 10:59 PM
I recently did about 200 cases in 30 minutes with the WFT while watching TV and working at a pretty lackadaisical pace. My favorite thing about it is that you can do it wherever you want. I was just sitting on the floor with a bunch of newspapers spread out and drill in hand.

If you don't mind full-length sizing, you could also look at the RCBS X-Dies which are supposed to either minimize or eliminate case trimming depending on who you talk to.

medalguy
December 3, 2013, 11:12 PM
I use the Dillon 1200. As long as your trimmer blade is good, there's no need to deburr or chamfer. Just tumble the brass a little while and the work is done and it's ready to go.

Nickb45
December 3, 2013, 11:42 PM
Question for you guys that run the dillon trimmers, does that decap as well or does it need to be done in a separate operation?

ReloaderFred
December 3, 2013, 11:54 PM
I too use the Dillon 1200 for .223, .308 and .30-06. Decapping is done in a separate operation.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Weber
December 4, 2013, 05:49 AM
I use a progressive, so the brass guess to the press twice. Once for prep, once for loading.

I decal in station 1, size and trim in station 3, and run the expander down in station 4 just to make sure the mouth of the case is clean.

Then clean the lube off in the ultra sonic or tumbler, then back to the press to load.

hentown
December 4, 2013, 08:42 AM
I have 15k .223 cases to prep, and I'm going to be using my Dillon trimmer for the first time. I'm also going to be using the GS Custom swager. Will make an attempt to deprime, swage, trim/size during one run through the press.

I'll then finish up with another run through the press. If the swager works as advertised, I'll be a happy camper.

Weber
December 4, 2013, 08:46 AM
I have 15k .223 cases to prep, and I'm going to be using my Dillon trimmer for the first time. I'm also going to be using the GS Custom swager. Will make an attempt to deprime, swage, trim/size during one run through the press.

I'll then finish up with another run through the press. If the swager works as advertised, I'll be a happy camper.
15k!

I'll help you prep for a brass fee...

I don't sewage on the press, I use the Dillon 600 SS for that.

What press are you using, and how are you swaging on the press?

LeonCarr
December 4, 2013, 10:15 AM
What is the GS Custom Swager?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

jmorris
December 4, 2013, 11:04 AM
I use a progressive, so the brass guess to the press twice. Once for prep, once for loading.

I decal in station 1, size and trim in station 3, and run the expander down in station 4 just to make sure the mouth of the case is clean.

Then clean the lube off in the ultra sonic or tumbler, then back to the press to load.

On what press?

On the 650 I use station 1,3 and 5 as the trimmer and manifold block access to stations 2 and 4 due to diameter.

jmorris
December 4, 2013, 11:09 AM
What is the GS custom swager?

It consiststs of parts that replace some of the priming system parts and you swage the pocket by pushing back on the handle just like you do priming. There is no backup rod obviously and Dillon has already announced that that will void the no BS warranty for damage caused by its use.

Here is a review
http://ballistictools.com/articles/650-swager-review.php

rodregier
December 4, 2013, 11:33 AM
I've very happy with my Giraud.

moxie
December 4, 2013, 11:35 AM
Tritto Possum Hollow. Cheap, easy and fast. Chamfer and deburr by hand. That's no biggie.

Weber
December 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
On what press?

On the 650 I use station 1,3 and 5 as the trimmer and manifold block access to stations 2 and 4 due to diameter.
On a Hornady LNL AP, with case feeder.

stavman11
December 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
Another vote for the WFT trimmer

I then chuck a Chamfer bit in a drill and chamfer them.. most dont need deburred... and if they do i seperate those and chuck the debur bit in my Drill

works Great for me

KSCCHTrainer
December 4, 2013, 01:13 PM
Tritto Possum Hollow. Cheap, easy and fast. Chamfer and deburr by hand. That's no biggie.
Only problem with the Possum Hollow trimmers, NOBODY has them in stock and they aren't forecast to be in stock until May of 2014 @ Midway!

GLOOB
December 4, 2013, 02:15 PM
If you can't find a Possum Hollow, consider a Lee with a Zip trim chuck and drill adaptor. It might not be as fast at trimming, alone, but you can handle the brass only once and get the chamfer done at the same time. When you get the trick of locking the cases in, it's fairly fast, although there IS a learning curve.

I've compared the speed with all the videos I could find on Youtube, showing off customized and expensive trimming setups. And the only ones with a level of performance on a whole other order (when you consider the chamfer) are the ones with combo trim/chamfer blades, where you're looking at $40+ for each caliber on top of the bench mount system.

Here's a demonstration.
http://s688.photobucket.com/user/gloob27x/media/LeeZipTrim.mp4.html?sort=3&o=4

OldRook77
December 4, 2013, 10:33 PM
I think Santa is going to bring a Giraud for Christmas set up for .223 and an extra set up for 06

Get three for one with that extra

Thanks all!!!

Otto
December 4, 2013, 10:46 PM
There's a 3 month wait on Giraud trimmers. On top of that, the company is shutting down between Dec.16 and Jan.2.

lightman
December 4, 2013, 10:50 PM
I can do between 14 and 15 a minute on my Giraud. I did over 6000 one Sunday without turning it off and the motor only got slightly warm. My fingers were a little sore! Lightman

Dr.Zubrato
December 5, 2013, 08:51 PM
Just ordered a WFT, thanks for the info folks. Decided to make my life a little easier, one case at a time.

moxie
December 5, 2013, 10:24 PM
Good choice.

higgite
December 6, 2013, 10:30 AM
I've very happy with my Giraud.

What he ^^^ said. It's little pricey if you buy one yourself (but worth it). BUT... if Santa brings it, it's free, right? ;)

rodregier
December 6, 2013, 06:34 PM
I use a thin leather work glove when feeding cases into the Giraud. Reduces vibration and grip fatigue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best high volume case trimmer 223?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!