Rainer/Berry's Plated Bullet Loading Question

PDA

R-WEST
December 4, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hi All!!
Been away for quite a few years, with business/familial responsibilities, but I'm back now!! :D
Good grief - what have you guys done to the price of loading components while I was gone?? :what: :uhoh:
Anyway, I'm gonna' be loading up a batch of Ranier plated 250's in my 45 LC (Ruger Blackhawk) and Berry 125's in my 357 Mag (Dan Wesson/Ruger GP100).
I'm planning on a mid-range (950 FPS +/- in the 45; 1100 in the 357) load of Unique, unless any of you have had better luck with other powders. I just hope the powders are some that I have on stock (B'eye; Red Dot, Blue Dot, AA7, AA9), because I'm sure having problems finding any pistol/revolver powders around here anywhere.
Anyway, to the gist of the post:
1. Should I use cast or jacketed loading data?
2. Any specific load combo's that have worked well for you?
Thanks all!!! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainer/Berry's Plated Bullet Loading Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PO2Hammer
December 4, 2013, 02:19 PM
I use jacketed data with plated bullets in my .357s and stay below 1100 fps.
I use 158 grainers in .357, so no load recommendation.
Crimp lightly into the side of the bullet.

Blue68f100
December 4, 2013, 04:28 PM
Ranier recommends using lead data. Where Berrys says you can go up to mid data jacketed. Your under the 1200fps window so have at it.

osteodoc08
December 4, 2013, 05:41 PM
As noted, lead data and keep velocity under 1200fps.

I've been happy with berry and ranier for plinking. I've gone through several thousand

Walkalong
December 4, 2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6195350&postcount=11

The new Western Powders 5.0 PDF has some plated data as well.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Rule3
December 4, 2013, 06:46 PM
Unique is about the only powder I use for 45 COLT. You mention 357 also . Alliant has a warning not to use Blue Dot with the 125 gr bullet. You can use Unique for that also.

Plated data is the midrange of Jacketed or use lead data. It gets convoluted because both companies say both which boils down to about the same, Either one works Just do not load full house magnums

I wouldn't use plated in any revolver, as I like to heavy roll crimp them. Just good old cast lead.;) JMO

R-WEST
December 5, 2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys!!

LightningMan
December 5, 2013, 10:39 PM
If I have no spicific data on plated bullets I will check the lead data and compare the jacketed data for that bullet weight. I generally end up with something in between the two or on the high side of the lead data or the low side of jacketed data. FWIW I've had some issues using lead data on or near the start grains, mostly not enough pop to cycle the pistol. Once I made up some 185 gr Berrys RNHB .45 acp ammunition which was a real mild load and functioned well in my 1911 Kimber, but when I tried them in my Springfield XD it would not cycle reliably. Now days, I make a few test loads to try them out in all my pistols before loading up a bunch. LM

If you enjoyed reading about "Rainer/Berry's Plated Bullet Loading Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!