.40 reload data.

PDA

coonan1911
December 4, 2013, 04:41 PM
Has anyone loaded .40 with a 140g round nose coated bullet?
I only use Alliant powders.
Looking for any help on this subject.
Regards Coonan1911

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 reload data." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sexybeast
December 4, 2013, 06:14 PM
I've loaded thousands of 140gr lead bullets. Its one of my favorite loadings and I was shooting some in a match last night. But no they are not coated.
The Alliant powder I am not using is Red Dot. I bought 8lbs years ago. I don't like the way it measures so I only use it with forgiving loads, in other words no 9mm or heavy bullets. No max loads either.
The load I use is 5.0gr. It has a little snap and it measures about 1000 to 1050 fps on the chrony. I consider it a mild load. I've pushed them with well past 5.8gr and they remain accurate.
I usually don't load coated much hotter than lead. You can probably push them harder but when I want max I go with FMJ.

coonan1911
December 4, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hey thanks for the info.
I guess I will have to get some Red Dot from some where as at the moment down under there is a big shortage od all type of pistol powders.
Would you have any loads for my powders I have which is Power Pistol / Green Dot / Unique / American Select / Blue Dot plus ADI Powders AP70 / AP100 / AP 50 / AS30.
None of the ADI powders haven't got any data in 140 grain projectile.
All data for this particular projectile would be very much appreciated.
Regards
coonan1911

bds
December 4, 2013, 10:21 PM
ADI Powders AP70 / AP100 / AP 50 / AS30.

None of the ADI powders haven't got any data in 140 grain projectile.
Here they are. This is from ADI website - http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/pistol.asp?Calibre=.40+Smith+%26+Wesson
Lead 140 gr AS30N Max 4.0 gr 1,035 fps
Lead 140 gr AP50N Max 4.5 gr 1,105 fps
Lead 140 gr AP70N Max 5.5 gr 1,145 fps
The charges listed are max powder charges so reduce them by 10% to conduct your powder work. So the start charge would be around 3.6 gr for AS30, 4.0 gr for AP50 and 5.0 gr for AP70.

You can download the 2010 ADI load data pdf here - www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/pdfs/sphg.pdf

Would you have any loads for my powders I have which is Power Pistol / Green Dot / Unique / American Select / Blue Dot
Alliant's website currently do not list lead loads for 40S&W but 2004 Alliant load data lists lead loads for 155 gr and jacketed loads for 135/150 gr projectiles. For the 140 gr projectiles, you can use the load data for the heavier 155 gr projectile. The 2004 Alliant load data is no longer available on their website but you can download the pdf from THR server - http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=182147&d=1364769070

I guess I will have to get some Red Dot
I have tested Red Dot and lead 40S&W bullets but it produced much more snappier recoil than slower burn rate powders like Green Dot. I would suggest Green Dot over Red Dot for 40S&W. Many like Unique/PowerPistol and slower burn rate powders for 40S&W.

Here's 2004 load data for Alliant Unique
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181905&stc=1&d=1364306678

Here's 2004 load data for Alliant PowerPistol
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=185608&stc=1&d=1372049917

coonan1911
December 4, 2013, 10:50 PM
Hi
This is great stuff where did you find this data from ADI I guess I should have downloaded 2010 book. But who was to know the 140g would come back.
Thanks for taking the time out to post all this info exceptional effort by you and all the other members with there reloading data.
Now I can get my Hornady LNL press going and load some of these 140grain projectiles that I bought from our local manufacture supplier who decided to produce this calibre after years when it became none item with shooters .
I wish to thank all the members who contribute to my question on the 140 grainer.
Regards
coonan1911

bds
December 4, 2013, 11:43 PM
Glad we helped and welcome to THR. :)

ArchAngelCD
December 5, 2013, 01:16 AM
If you use only Alliant powders Power Pistol would be my choice.

sexybeast
December 5, 2013, 01:21 AM
AA#7 is an Accurate powder, not Alliant.

ArchAngelCD
December 5, 2013, 01:31 AM
Well yes it is, my mistake.

Sorry, I should have said Power Pistol.

coonan1911
December 5, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hi

I have loaded up 100 rounds to try out of AP 50 @ 4.2 grains to see how they will go.
But I am still open for any data for power pistol or any Alliant powders for the 140 grain
bullet. I reckon I rang every firearm store in my state and not one has any powder for pistol let alone RED DOT powder which previous member mention with his data that he has used with success . Its hard times here in Australia for pistol shooters to get required
powders. But if you shoot rifle you can get it at most stores.
Well I am very happy to get this loading data which I can experiment with for the 140 projectile to see which load will be best for my club match .
Regards to all members and please continue sending any load data as I will watching in anticipation .
coonan1911

coonan1911
December 6, 2013, 11:49 PM
To sexybeast
Did you get my last to messages about ADI Powders?
Have you found any more loads for the 140 grain in bull eye powder?
I just manage to get a pound of it the other day from the small bore rifle association by luck, old stock but I grab it.
Regards
coonan1911

sexybeast
December 7, 2013, 12:22 AM
Hi Coonan 1911, I did not get a personal message from you. i still don't know any documented info about ADI powders and if they are sold under a different name here in the U.S., only what others have quoted. ---------- Red Dot and Bullseye with light bullets have almost the same loadings. When I had Bullseye I loaded it from 4.9gr to 5.6gr with a 140gr lead bullet.
Another member mentioned that Red Dot gives a "snap" to it. I have found with light bullets in all calibers especially 9mm gives more of a snap to them. You would think its different but it really isn't. 115gr 9mm have much more snap than 147gr bullets. Heavy bullets give more of a "soft push" with light loads. I've recently switched over with 9mm to 147's for the first time.

coonan1911
December 7, 2013, 12:43 AM
Ok Thanks for the info I will give it a try with the BULLEYE POWDER the loads you have used previously .
And Again thanks for the help on this subject.
Kind Regards all member who help resolve this issue.
coonan1911

sexybeast
December 7, 2013, 12:48 AM
I guess I should have asked what kind of gun you will be shooting them in?
Since you have bullseye I would start out at 5.0gr and work up if you feel the need.
Bullseye has a magical quality to it when it comes to light lead bullets.
I don't know anyone who has been able to find any around our parts for ten months.

coonan1911
December 7, 2013, 12:56 AM
Hi

its a Glock 17 with a 35 lone wolf s/s .40 ported barrel and slide.
The Lone wolf barrel seem very tight for the .40 as I have had to resize thru a Lee Bugle master all my 40 brass for them to feed properly.
I will try or Bull Eye Loads starting at low range first and then build up slowly.
Regards
coonan1911

coonan1911
December 7, 2013, 01:01 AM
Anyone had problems with the primer feeder rod bracket snap in half due to very small bit of grit on the LNL AP .
The company that makes them support team were extremely helpful and made right the problem.
Excellent customer service. But shouldn't keep happening.
Regards
coonan1911

sexybeast
December 7, 2013, 01:15 AM
So you are running the 40 slide and barrel on the 9 frame? I know a lot of things about glocks but I did not know you could do that!
I think I tried putting my 22 slide and barrel on my 17. If I remember the 40 mags would not fit in the frame.
If it works for you then more power to you. It did not for me. My G17 is an very old one. Early Gen 2 made in 89 so they might have changed.
Congrats mate!

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 01:45 AM
I have heard rumors that Hodgdon relabels ADI powders and sells them here in the US. You might try contacting ADI or Hodgdon (sorry if this sounds dumb) or both of them to see if they will verify this and let you know if it is true and if so what Hodgdon relabels the powders. If it is true it would give you access to more load data and help you use others load suggestions. I would not trust anything that says x is y unless I cold get info from the manufactures / distributors. If AP70 is what I have heard rumors it is sold by Hodgdon here as something else (I won't say what because I don't know) and mistakes would be dangerous, it is great stuff. (at least in 9mm)

ADI does seem to confirm that at least one ADI powder is distributed in the US as Hodgdon H4895.
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/news.asp

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp

NOTE THIS CHART IS NOT SAYING x is y but relates to burn speeds
Also note powders with about the same burn speed can behave quite differently in different calibers and at different pressures. (at least in my opinion)

"I have which is Power Pistol / Green Dot / Unique / American Select / Blue Dot plus ADI Powders AP70 / AP100 / AP 50 / AS30"

Wish I had all those powders on my shelf:)

PS: Welcome to THR, great people here that are very helpful.

bds
December 7, 2013, 02:12 AM
The Lone wolf barrel seem very tight for the .40 as I have had to resize thru a Lee Bugle master all my 40 brass for them to feed properly.
I will try or Bull Eye Loads starting at low range first and then build up slowly.
I would stop you right there before you did any live range firing.

I run Lone Wolf 40S&W and 40-9 conversion barrels in my Gen3 G22/G23/G27 and Lone Wolf Distribution customer service stated the barrel chambers are cut for .400" diameter bullets. If you are using coated lead bullets sized larger at .401", you will probably experience feeding/chambering issues and your finished rounds may not fully chamber.

I would make sure all of your finished rounds dropped in the barrel chamber freely with a "plonk" before you shoot them.

Personally, I do not recommend faster burning powders for 40S&W since you have access to slower burning powders. I have tested Bullseye/Red Dot/Promo/Clays/WST/Green Dot/W231/HP-38/Unique/Universal/PowerPistol/WSF/AutoComp for 40S&W and now recommend slower burn rate than W231/HP-38/Unique/Universal with the exception of Green Dot.

Be safe.

coonan1911
December 7, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hey ,
Yes mind is a Gen3 model and it works great and the .40 mags work find and I even run my Lone wolf .357 sig ported barrel and slide so far had no problems and also shoot .40 neck down to .357 sig as long as I size the with bugle buster they just drop[ in works well.
Plus it saving me heaps in brass as I have a contact friend who can get once fired law enforcement .40 brass.
Yes I've load so .40 140 g drop in lone wolf barrel most ok some I had to bugle bust twice.
Regards
coonan1911

coonan1911
December 7, 2013, 02:45 AM
Hey Dudedog.
I am not to sure if this is the case about ADI as I 've not herd that before.
I don't think the manufactures would tarnish there name over an issue even if they are all under pressure to keep up with the demand especially in USA. Everyone is stocking up over there and we can't even get the basic here.
Regards
coonan1911

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 02:59 AM
I don't load ADI powders by name but BDS seems to suggest slower powders so your AP70/AP100 might be a better choice than the AP50... in .40 SW
If AS30 and AP50 are what I think they might be both are good but are rumored to have rapid pressure spikes when approaching max loads, a tiny bit to much can make things go bad quickly.
Boy I'm not much help...don't load x with y or z:)

I don't know it for a fact but I have heard Winchester 231/Hodgdon HP38 are one and the same (and I believe this to be tue) so I believe the relabling is likely.
Here in the US Hodgdon is a known name and has a Positive (I would think) reputation while Australian Defense Industries is sort of an unknown name.
The brand name recognition thing.

ADIs chart does not show it but Power Pistol is probably between AP70 and AP100 burn rate wise.
I don't know if some of my favorite powders are really ADI sold by Hodgdon but they do say made in Australia:cool:

I don't think sexybeast was saying Red Dot was a first choice for 40, just that it did not meter as well as some other powders being used by her/him.

If you search the forum sexybeast probably has a favorite 40 load out there. Also I would suggest looking to see if Walkalong or BDS has a favorite 40 load.
Both of them have been helpful to me in the past.
(Thanks again sexybeast/Walkalong/BDS)

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

bds
December 7, 2013, 12:29 PM
Yes mind is a Gen3 model and it works great and the .40 mags work find and I even run my Lone wolf .357 sig ported barrel and slide so far had no problems and also shoot .40 neck down to .357 sig
OK, good to hear you have some success with Lone Wolf barrels as they tend to run tighter chambers. The benefits of tighter chambers are they won't expand the brass as much so resizing them will be easier and take much less effort; less expanding and resizing will extend the life of the brass and reduce work hardening; and if the Lone Wolf barrels provide better case base support than factory, it's additional insurance for cases that have been fired in less supported chambers.

I've load so .40 140 g drop in lone wolf barrel most ok some I had to bugle bust twice.
If you are having to use the Lee FCD/Bulge Buster after the bullets were seated, let me clarify some things.

The Lee Precision Factory Crimp Die (FCD) for 40S&W is a steel taper crimp die with an undersized carbide sizing ring at the mouth of the die. According to John Lee, the president of Lee Precision, the carbide sizer ring's ID was meant for .400" diameter bullets so if out-of-round/out-of-spec bullets were seated in the cases and would not fully chamber in SAAMI max dimension barrels, FCD can be used as "finishing die" to fix the outer dimension of the finished rounds and/or to apply taper crimp on the case neck mouth, thus ensuring reliable chamering like a factory round.

However, if the bullets used are sized larger than .401", especially with cases with thicker walls, post-sizing of the bullet diameter can occur which will reduce the diameter of the bullet and brass case wall spring back can decrease neck tension which may result in bullet setback. If you are using the FCD on finished rounds and experience post-sizing and bullet setback (you check the bullet setback by measuring OAL/COL before and after feeding/chambering the round from the magazine and releasing the slide without riding it), I suggest you use the FCD or push-through resize (Bulge Buster) the cases before you seat the bullet or have Lee Precision enlarge the carbide sizer ring.

I do not use FCD and seat bullet and taper crimp in the same step, even for lead bullets as I just return the case neck back flat on the bullet (I will add .021" to the diameter of jacketed/plated bullets and .021"-.022" to the lead bullet diameter for the amount of taper crimp to avoid lead shaving). I use Lee carbide dies for 40S&W and regular resizing/depriming die will fully resize most cases to the case base. If I feel greater resistance during resizing, I will chamber check the resized case in the Lone Wolf barrel. If it won't fully chamber, I will resize the case a second time and if it still won't fully chamber, I will toss/save the brass to be taken to the metal recycler for bulk brass as I consider the case expanded too much and case wall thinned/weakened. If the cases are verified once-fired brass like the ones you are getting from Law Enforcement range, I would be OK push-through resizing the cases once with FCD/Bulge Buster. For match loads, I always chamber check the finished rounds in the tightest barrel I have (Lone Wolf) and if any won't pass the barrel drop test, I will set them aside to shoot them in factory Glock barrels.

I don't think sezybeast was saying Red Dot was a first choice for 40, just that it did not meter real well in the charge size that was being used by her/him.
Faster burn rate powders than Unique/W231/HP-38/Universal can work for 40S&W with some consideration. If you are using high-to-near max full power loads, faster powders will produce much more snappy recoil that may be uncomfortable to shoot a lot and leave your trigger finger tingly and hands/wrists sore the next day.

Here's testing I did with Promo and 40S&W lead 180 gr bullet referencing 2004 load data for Red Dot by weight as specified by Alliant (http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/promo.aspx) (Since there's no published load data from Alliant for Red Dot/Promo and lead 40S&W bullets, use these loads at your own risk) - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6509911#post6509911

With Missouri 180 gr lead TCFP bullet, 3.8 gr Red Dot/Promo load reliably cycled the slides of G22/G27 with Lone Wolf barrels and produced mild recoil. 4.1 gr load produced greater accuracy with more moderate recoil. So it is possible to use faster burn rate powder for 40S&W with comfortable recoil and accuracy but likely with heavier bullet at lower powder charges. As to metering, both Red Dot and Promo's large flakes meter with .1-.2+ gr variance in my Lee Pro Auto Disk and slightly better in the Lee Perfect Powder measure (In comparison, smaller flake and flattened ball powders like Bullseye/Green Dot/Universal will meter with .1 gr variance and W231/HP-38/WSF/AutoComp will meter with less than .1 gr variance). Even with the .1-.2+ gr variance from powder measures, Red Dot/Promo can produce acceptable level of accuracy for range practice/plinking - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=578444
40S&W average shot groups - Glock 22/27 with Lone Wolf barrels:

180 Lead/3.5 gr - Accuracy all over the 8x11 copy paper - Light recoil
180 Lead/3.8 gr - 7 yard 2" - 10 yard 3" - 15 yard 4" - Mild recoil
180 Lead/4.1 gr - 7 yard 1.5" - 10 yard 1" - 15 yard 4" - Moderate recoil
180 Lead/4.4 gr - 7 yard 1" - 10 yard 2" - 15 yard 2.5" - Firm recoil

Since OP is shooting matches, the match loads may just need to meet specific power factor (PF) velocities. With 40S&W bullet weights, this is achievable even with mid-range load data and with heavier 180 gr bullet, even doable with lower range load data. Faster burn rate powders like Red Dot can maintain accuracy even at low to mid range load data compared to slower burn rate powders that often achieve optimal accuracy only at high-to-near max load data. To meet USPSA PF for 40S&W, I tested 155/165/180 gr Montana Gold jacketed bullets but later settled on 165 gr bullet weight that produced lighter recoil and better meet PF requirement than 155 gr bullet weight.

Ideally, I would suggest OP consider using heavier bullets (165-180) to better meet match PF requirement over the lighter 140 gr if considering faster burning powder like Red Dot. coonan1911, ultimately, you will end up testing/developing various loads using different weight bullets and powers to find the load that works best with your match pistol/barrel/recoil spring rate to produce acceptable accuracy and reliability for you. Hope we provided you with enough information to get you started with your initial powder work up and load development.

To be honest, I think many reloaders here in the USA will be jealous of powder selection you have access to right now.

Once again, welcome to THR and keep us posted on your progress. Good luck on your next match!

BTW, did I mention I have distant family in Australia? :D

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 01:00 PM
Saw this here about ADI powders.
I don't know that it is correct.

and again would try to verify with ADI/Hodgdon.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=736646

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that Red Dot metered poorly.
From my limited experience I have found that larger powder grains/flakes/sticks in smaller charges don't meter as well.
Not saying poorly, just as well.

Also I did not mean to imply that only sexybeast and Walkalong had good info to share.
Sorry if I offended anyone.:uhoh:

sexybeast
December 7, 2013, 01:08 PM
Well I glanced over this since last night;
I don't care for Lone Wolf barrels. Too tight of a chamber, made in Russia and very cheap workmanship. Had a conversion barrel that would not fit my slide. EVeryone who has a lone wolf barrel says that they are tight but Lone Wolf blames your ammo or the way you load. Won't buy one again.
Dudedog was mentioning favorite loads for 40 and Red dot. I'm basically just using it up and will never buy it again. That load with a light bullet is forgiving so since RD measures so terrible its what I'm using it for.
I don't have a favorite load for the 140gr 40. The past year I have made due with what powders I can find. I liked 231 and Universal until I ran out. My load was 5.4gr of each of these and they were soft and accurate. I would like to use them again. I just recieved 16lbs of HP38 so when the Red Dot is gone it will be my go-to powder for everything! [except titegroup which I am loving in my 9's]

bds
December 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
I don't care for Lone Wolf barrels ... made in Russia .
As far as I know, Lone Wolf Distribution has their barrels made in South Korea. If that's not true, someone let us know.

Too tight of a chamber ... and very cheap workmanship
Tight yes.

"... very cheap workmanship"? I think many users of Lone Wolf barrels would disagree. I also use KKM barrels for my Glocks and after side-by-side comparison, I am keeping all of my Lone Wolf barrels - But, that's my opinion only. :)

I guess I could do a new comparison thread on Lone Wolf vs KKM barrels but with respect to KKM owners, I won't.

Walkalong
December 7, 2013, 01:30 PM
When I had a Witness Elite Match in .40 my favorite load was a Zero 165 Gr JHP @ 1.135 OAL over 6.1 Grs Universal.

This OAL may be too long for some chambers or magazines, and 6.1 Grs is over some sources data, so approach it with caution.

I no longer have that gun, but my sons bought .40s a few months ago and I have experimented with Blue Dot and Longshot with an X-Treme 180 Gr HP, pushing them to around 950/975 FPS.

When the .40 S&W first came out a couple of different gun writers wrote about how the fast powders did not give the best accuracy with it, and that medium speed powders were needed.

In my limited experience with the fourty I have found that, for me and what I tried, it was easier to get a good load with a medium speed powder than a fast one. The fast ones just did not seem as consistent. YMMV

bds
December 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
I agree. My favorite powder for full power 40S&W loads is with WSF.

I sympathize with reloaders struggling to find popular powders now. Hopefully the shortage will improve so we can all load with powders of our choice.

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 01:39 PM
Wow 16lbs of HP38:D
Wish I had the selection of powders you have coonan1911,
everyone is making me jealous!:)

Walkalong
December 7, 2013, 01:45 PM
everyone is making me jealous!Does this (http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=158872&d=1329055438) help. :evil:

There are about four more not in the pic, and one in the pic is used up.

bds
December 7, 2013, 01:53 PM
Dudedog, I am in the central valley (within driving distance to San Joaquin Valley).

PM me and perhaps I can "pay it forward" some reloading components to you (like HP-38). ;)

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 01:56 PM
OK Walkalong be cruel! So where is the pic so I can go out in the backyward and :cuss:
:neener:

Walkalong
December 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
this in the post above is a link to it. Here is an updated pic. I wish I still had some HS-6 to try in .40 again with the 180s. Gotta run off to work now. They broke the tube system again, and they are "too cold" on post partum. :)

AABEN
December 7, 2013, 02:11 PM
I like ACCURATE # 7 START 9.0 MAX 10.0

bds
December 7, 2013, 02:12 PM
They broke the tube system again, and they are "too cold" on post partum
Mommies and babies will definitely thank you! ;)

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 02:21 PM
And thanks BDS for the pictures of powder in my other thread.
I should have added you to my thanks sexybeast/walkalong as well. An oversight on my part...getting senile
(It's all downhill after 50:))
My LGS sold the Red Dot before I could try it to get an idea of how it/Promo might work for me and was considering ordering 8lbs of Promo but now it's hard to find also.

bds
December 7, 2013, 02:29 PM
Dudedog, I sent you a PM. I can PIF powders/primers of your choice. :)

sexybeast
December 7, 2013, 02:33 PM
Dudedog wrote:
Wow 16lbs of HP38
Wish I had the selection of powders you have coonan1911,
everyone is making me jealous!

Don't be too jealous, I ordered powder and primers in July. 5 month wait.

Dudedog
December 7, 2013, 02:49 PM
Coonan1911 some one else posted this, hopefully it might help.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=736827

coonan1911
December 8, 2013, 09:40 AM
Hey All.
Have taken notes on all info supplied by members which i am finding real helpful and have come across a lot of the problems that you have stated in your comments on powder weights x 140g bullet and the lone wolf barrels and the ,40 cal case problems.
A lot of the problems i came across last night whilst loading 100 x rounds of .40 cal concerning tightness in l/wolf barrel and now after reading more comments what i need to do. I really enjoy shooting the .40 but they are a bugger of a round to get right when reloading. The powders i mention last comment were purchased back in the days of plenty availability. As you say the good old days when you could just drop down to your local sporting retailer and buy what you like.
Regards
coonan1911

coonan1911
December 8, 2013, 10:11 AM
Thank you for a very comprehensive comment for the lone wolf barrel and the loads + the problems that arise with this caliber . Have taken note your info re- sizing and drop in system check plus lee bugle buster which i use.
It is very interesting to take note of others who load and have been doing it far longer and had so much experience where your rights of your 2nd amendments in your country to own any type of weapon and to hand it down to your children. As we here have NO rights unless you are a club member and you have to have 6x shoots a year per caliber of firearm like .22lr / 9mm/ 38& 357mag - .45acp / 44mag silhouette that if your club is sanction by firearms branch. .40 / .357 sig to hold your firearms license unless your in security and you meet all requirements by the security industry.
We the sport shooters and hunting sport are so regulated here it unbelievable .
All i can say appreciate all what you have got there as if you ever get down under and go to a sporting and ammo retailer shop you will see what i mean.
Regards
coonan1911

sexybeast
December 8, 2013, 10:17 AM
Have taken notes on all info supplied by members which i am finding real helpful and have come across a lot of the problems that you have stated in your comments on powder weights x 140g bullet and the lone wolf barrels and the ,40 cal case problems.
A lot of the problems i came across last night whilst loading 100 x rounds of .40 cal concerning tightness in l/wolf barrel and now after reading more comments what i need to do. I really enjoy shooting the .40 but they are a bugger of a round to get right when reloading. The powders i mention last comment were purchased back in the days of plenty availability. As you say the good old days when you could just drop down to your local sporting retailer and buy what you like.
Regards

I guess everyone has different results. For myself the 40 is the easiest round to reload hands down. Much easier accuracy wise than 9mm.
If you ditched the Lone Wolf barrel you would have better results. Why are you using an aftermarket? Or is it a conversion? Many of the people I know that bought them either sold them and bought Storm Lake or had to send them somewhere to be fixed. If you reload they are not popular. Stock Glock barrels are the best!

coonan1911
December 8, 2013, 01:20 PM
I got them at a good price at the time plus couple the club members had them and i tried one of there which seem to work OK.
I got to say we were using factory ammo and it function really well.
And yes it a lone wolf conversion in Glock 35 style and barrel is ported.
I am sure i will keep at it with reloads and see how it preforms .
There is a big deference in a Glock standard barrel as the reload round is sloppy in the chamber where the lone wolf is tight.
I will let you know what happens with it once i get it at the range and put some rounds through it.
Regards
coonan1911

bds
December 8, 2013, 01:27 PM
It is very interesting to take note of others who load and have been doing it far longer and had so much experience where your rights of your 2nd amendments in your country to own any type of weapon and to hand it down to your children. As we here have NO rights unless you are a club member and you have to have 6x shoots a year per caliber of firearm like .22lr / 9mm/ 38& 357mag - .45acp / 44mag silhouette that if your club is sanction by firearms branch. .40 / .357 sig to hold your firearms license unless your in security and you meet all requirements by the security industry.

We the sport shooters and hunting sport are so regulated here it unbelievable .
I am sure many here in the USA sympathize with firearms restrictions in Australia but I am glad you still get to experience gun ownership and enjoy the sport of match shooting allowed by the exceptions to the restrictions.

Thank you for a very comprehensive comment for the lone wolf barrel and the loads + the problems that arise with this caliber. Have taken note your info re- sizing and drop in system check plus lee bugle buster which i use.

There is a big deference in a Glock standard barrel as the reload round is sloppy in the chamber where the lone wolf is tight.
I will let you know what happens with it once i get it at the range and put some rounds through it.
You are very welcome.

It is often better to learn from others' mistakes than making your own (and believe me we all made plenty of mistakes when we all started learning to reload - those stories are listed on many threads :D). And public forums like "The High Road" exist to share the experiences with others so they don't have to make the same mistakes yet benefit by attaining reloading success from the start. Unlike some other forums, I have found THR to be more fair and objective in regards to reloading data, reloading practice, reloading components and equipment use. I have found Staff/Administrators/Moderators on this forum tend to be more "High Road" than other forums. ;)

Glad you joined THR (especially from faraway Australia) and we look forward to you sharing your reloading progress with us.

:):):)

Dudedog
December 8, 2013, 01:40 PM
It is off thread but I can understand your frustration with the gun laws you have to deal with. I would imagine that there like here "gun control" does not prevent criminals from obtaining firearms. I am in the US in California and we have an approved handgun list. I don't have an exact count but there are maybe 200 handguns on this list out of the 1000s currently being produced. The state has decided for example that a Springfield XD in green is a different gun than one in black and must be tested separately, just stupid. In general the liberals here are antigun. They like to use the argument that "gun control" will prevent crime, IMO a completely distorted view. None of the gun laws on the books prevented some slime balls from kidnapping me and shooting me years ago. If my employer at the time allowed employees to carry that might have. (might not and it could have turned out worse, but as it was I barely escaped with my life). I feel people here need to support the NRA and be active or soon the US will have more gun laws like Australia.

coonan1911
December 9, 2013, 11:10 AM
Hi All
Just a quick response about our Politicians we have the Liberals / Labor / and the greens who hate all gun owners and if they ever get into power in this country we all would be doom as they would legislate full on GUN Control to zero. The other two parties won't backus either. The Liberal Party brought the original GUN BUYBACK last time they were in for 4 years and now we have got them again and we are just waiting to see the GUN CONTROL organization start to raise there ugly head again and start campaign and lobbying the government for more gun control.
Regards
coonan1911

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 reload data." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!