unmarked Mosin Nagant receivers

PDA

berkmberk1
December 4, 2013, 10:53 PM
Anyone seen one? I have a M28 with a receiver with no identification. It DOES NOT look like anything has been removed. It just looks like it has never been marked.

If you enjoyed reading about "unmarked Mosin Nagant receivers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogrunner
December 5, 2013, 12:13 AM
I have a 27 on which the hex receiver bears no markings other than the Imperial Eagle. The bbl is dated `1932 and bears CAI import stampings on the right side just behind the front sight..............the receiver is not serially marked, the bbl is.

Ian
December 5, 2013, 08:29 AM
Try taking it out of the stock and looking under the rear receiver tang. Most of them should be marked with a date and manufacturer there.

bikerdoc
December 5, 2013, 12:20 PM
Could it have been sanitized at some point? We could never prove it and they won't admit it but it could be.

LAGS
December 6, 2013, 12:37 AM
The Mosin Nagants do not have a Serial Number on the receeiver, except for the second serial number required now for importation.
That is why I questioned if you change the barrel on a MN, are you altering the serial number, because the barrel number is what is listed in the dealers bound book.

Ron James
December 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
I've heard that theory about " Sanitized MN 's or Ghost MN's " used for covert work or to keep the origins from being known. That logic just doesn't add up. Regardless of how the weapon was being used or to whom it was delivered, it is still a Mosin Nagant of Com Block origin and there are so many floating around the world that they are already " sanitized " from being so common. This is why the CIA on some of their operations used WWII US weapons. There are so many in existent, and were furnished to so many country's, that they are considered " neutral " in origin or sanitized by age and usage. There is a reason ( maybe just lazy or drunk factory workers) for the unmarked receivers but to keep the identity of the weapon a secret is not it.

yonahforge
December 29, 2013, 08:53 AM
The American made Mosins didn't stamp the underside of the tang with a maker's mark or year. New England Westinghouse marked a small inspection stamp on the upper side of the tang - like a capitol E with arrows on the end of the horizontal bars. I can't remember what Remington's mark right now. My VKT M91 is on a New England Westinghouse receiver, and only has the "E with arrows" mark - it doesn't have an imperial eagle stamp (and doesn't seem to be ground off). The other possibility was Ivan was asleep at the stamping station that day....

HexHead
December 29, 2013, 09:20 AM
The American made Mosins didn't stamp the underside of the tang with a maker's mark or year. New England Westinghouse marked a small inspection stamp on the upper side of the tang - like a capitol E with arrows on the end of the horizontal bars. I can't remember what Remington's mark right now. My VKT M91 is on a New England Westinghouse receiver, and only has the "E with arrows" mark - it doesn't have an imperial eagle stamp (and doesn't seem to be ground off). The other possibility was Ivan was asleep at the stamping station that day....
Many of the US made M-Ns were never delivered to Imperial Russia, but were used for training by the US Army in WWI.

Carl N. Brown
December 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Many of the US made M-Ns were never delivered to Imperial Russia, but were used for training by the US Army in WWI.
They even had an official name "U.S. Rifle, 7.62 mm, Model of 1916" even if they were not marked as such.

If you enjoyed reading about "unmarked Mosin Nagant receivers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!