Xtreme COL 9mm

PDA

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 03:19 PM
Ok, now that I've got some of these handy dandy bullets on the way I need to start researching a load. Does anyone know what COL they recommend for their 115gr RN and 124gr HPs? Plated of course.

Anything of note having to do with their commonality (or non commonality)to other bullets?

Ive sent several emails that haven't been returned.

Of course I will be starting low and working up and cross referencing from several manuals. TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Xtreme COL 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 5, 2013, 03:44 PM
Start out around 1.100" and do the 'Plunk Test' in your barrel.

Seat shorter if necessary until the rounds will drop freely into the chamber with a plunk, and drop out of their own weight.

That is the correct OAL for your barrels chamber.

rc

Walkalong
December 5, 2013, 03:54 PM
I load 115 Gr RN bullets for 9MM at 1.130 to 1.135. So far this has worked in my guns with the bullets tried.

I load the X-Treme 124 Gr HP at 1.060 +/-. This works in my guns.

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks very much guys. 2 replies from the reloading dream team, I guess I can take those to the bank!

Seriously, much appreciated. PH

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 05:52 PM
Mr Postman just dropped em off too. Heavy boxes in the mail make me a happy man!:D

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 05:55 PM
Btw, how is the performance of a plated HP (or xtreme plated HPs better yet)? I noticed some of the comments on another thread (about homemade HPs) weren't overly positive on plated HPs. Maybe it was homemade plated HPs they were talking about...

Walkalong
December 5, 2013, 06:28 PM
They are not designed to open up like a jacketed hollow point. They do shoot real well though.

rcmodel
December 5, 2013, 07:11 PM
In my experience, Berry plated HP's expand quite nicely on steel plate targets.

But not at all on anything softer.

rc

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks fellas. I wonder why they make them(plated HPs)?. Not trying to be snide but most people get plated for plinking (I guess???). Seems like they would just make RN. I just bought the HPs because my old lady said I could spend 100$ and those are what I clicked on, along with some RNs..if anyone's about to say "well you bought em didn't you"?

Or maybe hollow points are more accurate, generally speaking?

Or people like to train with what they carry?

Or maybe some people just like loading HPs..

Maybe their competitors carry them...

I could ask LongdayJake..Longday, you out there?

ddc
December 5, 2013, 07:49 PM
I load 115 Gr RN bullets for 9MM at 1.130 to 1.135. So far this has worked in my guns with the bullets tried.

I load the X-Treme 124 Gr HP at 1.060 +/-. This works in my guns.

Walkalong,

I'm curious about the difference in length between your 115 gr and 124 gr loads.

Is that just happenstance due to the fact that those loads shoot better in your specific guns at those lengths or is there a technical reason that one would want to use a shorter length for the heavier bullet?

Thanks,
Don.

Potatohead
December 5, 2013, 07:51 PM
Maybe because he is talking about RN and HP..? Or you might've known that (that he/we were talkin HP and RN..) I guess I should let him speak for himself...

-Im way out of my league here so I'll just move outa the way now:)

wlkjr
December 5, 2013, 08:26 PM
These shots are from Glocks 17,19 and 26, from a rest at 12 yards.
Load is 3.6 grains of Titegroup at 1.115 COL. with Xtreme 124 grain plated HP.
COL from 1.115 up to 1.150 was tested in all three guns and function perfectly.
They were chronographed from about 975 to 990 fps.
Also shot some Berry plated RN 147 gr. with 3.3 grains of Titegroup with similar results.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/wlkjr/IMG_5054.jpg (http://s81.photobucket.com/user/wlkjr/media/IMG_5054.jpg.html)

ddc
December 5, 2013, 09:31 PM
Maybe because he is talking about RN and HP..? Or you might've known that (that he/we were talkin HP and RN..) I guess I should let him speak for himself...

-Im way out of my league here so I'll just move outa the way now:)

That could be it. I totally missed that little tidbit of info. Thanks for pointing that out.

Walkalong
December 5, 2013, 10:36 PM
Maybe because he is talking about RN and HP..? Correct. Imagine the HP with a nose on it, and guess that AOL.

A hollow cavity in the nose, if done correctly as to not throw off balance, can give a longer bearing surface, which can help a bullet shoot well.

7mmb
December 6, 2013, 01:14 AM
I have loaded the 115gr RNs and 124gr RNs. They are great bullets. The MINIMUM OAL for those bullets is 1.135". That is where the diameter of the bullet at the case mouth goes from .355" to .354" and the entire shank of the bullet is within the case. If they are seated any deeper you will be crimping onto the ogive and not the shank of the bullet. My Witnesses have very short leades and I seat Xtreme's round noses to 1.135" and have gotten excellent results. The maximum OAL will be the longest length that will still pass the plunk test in your pistol.

You can seat the HPs in increments and measure the bullet diameter at the case mouth. When it goes from .355" to .354" you have found its minimum OAL.

The plated HPs are not designed to expand, they are designed for accuracy. Something about the hollow point making it more accurate. My guess is that it has to do with more of the bullet's weight being toward the rear of the bullet. Most of the people that buy them aren't plinking, they're shooting IPSC and IDPA.

bds
December 6, 2013, 02:16 AM
I wonder why they make them (plated HPs)?. Not trying to be snide but most people get plated for plinking (I guess???). Seems like they would just make RN.
A hollow cavity in the nose, if done correctly as to not throw off balance, can give a longer bearing surface, which can help a bullet shoot well.
+1.

When I started shooting USPSA, many shooters used FMJ with exposed lead base with the notion that bullet base will expand readily to seal with the barrel to produce more consistent chamber pressures - which in turn will produce more consistent muzzle velocities for accuracy. When I switched match caliber from 9mm/45ACP to 40S&W, I was using 155/165 gr Montana Gold FMJ but more and more shooters started to switch to JHP bullets. For those using comps, no exposed lead produced cleaner loads for easier cleaning and many simply preferred to reduce their exposure to lead particles.

When I did accuracy comparison between 165 gr FMJ vs JHP loads, accuracy was comparable and some shooters claimed JHP loads were more accurate. Reasoning behind it was that hollow cavity in the bullet nose increased the bullet base length (bearing surface) that rode the rifling and improved the rotational stability of the bullet in flight. Berry's MFG did similar by creating hollow base plated bullet that also increased the bullet base length but also added greater expansion of the bullet base for sealing with the barrel and my testing with 124 gr HBRN-TP bullets produced greater accuracy loads than my reference 115 gr Winchester FMJ loads: With 4.5 gr W231/HP-38 - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7217193#post7217193 and with 4.8 gr W231/HP-38 - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7266869#post7266869

If you look at the comparison picture below, 155 gr JHP bullet on the far left is taller with longer bullet base than 155 gr Montana Gold RNFP-FMJ bullet with exposed lead base. Also, 165 gr Montana Gold RN-JHP bullet (rounded nose for more reliable feeding in tighter match barrel chambers, not necessarily for expansion) but the bullet is taller with longer base than the 165 gr PowerBond RNFP plated bullet to the left.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=192037&stc=1&d=1386314122

Potatohead
December 6, 2013, 01:28 PM
Good info here guys. Thanks for your replies.

Jim Watson
December 6, 2013, 01:40 PM
I am loading Xtreme 147 gr RN to 1.155" OAL.
But then I have recently loaded Berrys 115 gr RN to 1.155" and WW 124 gr RN to 1.155".
My BBI truncated cones come out at 1.135".
The seating die setting is the same.
Feeding in my gun is the same.

The last time I messed with the seating die was to load some JHPs to 1.11"

bds
December 6, 2013, 02:09 PM
Many posted accuracy of147 gr bullets. Perhaps the accuracy over the shorter 115/124 gr bullets maybe due to longer bearing surface/bullet base of 147 gr bullets?

Potatohead
December 6, 2013, 03:16 PM
Are you just talking plated BDS? Interesting. I think I could get better groups drop kicking 147gr towards the target with my sr9:)

TenDriver
December 6, 2013, 04:03 PM
Potatohead, I got my bullets last night as well. Postman made a comment about the box being heavy and having a few others like that on his route recently. He said there must be a lot of reloaders out there these days.

bds
December 6, 2013, 04:05 PM
Potatohead, no just in general.

If you enjoyed reading about "Xtreme COL 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!