$100+ tool = peace of mind and less piece of skin

PDA

Eb1
December 5, 2013, 11:05 PM
I purchased another Dillon product this week. It is the Super Swage 600. I had been doing military brass with the Lee Champher tool and it did work. It just took a while, and hurt my fingers.

Well I got another lot of a few thousand brass, and I am tearing through these things. They are all the same head stamp so they are working good. I am super surprised the tool cost so much, but it is made strong, and it isn't the first hand tool I have paid over $100 for, and they usually work good at what they are made for.

So far I have done 250 pieces in the time it would have taken me to do 50 the old way.

Here's to the Ice Storm 2013, a propane heater, and a day hand loading.

Oh yeah! I can't wait to start shooting the Ruger 77/44 along side the Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.

If you enjoyed reading about "$100+ tool = peace of mind and less piece of skin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rollis R. Karvellis
December 5, 2013, 11:15 PM
I, bought mine when the cost was almost half of what they are today, and for all the hassle it save's, I, would buy one tomorrow if need be.

medalguy
December 5, 2013, 11:31 PM
Dillon makes excellent stuff. Everything I have ever bought from them is of the highest quality and works exactly like it is advertised. If you need to resize and trim that brass, take a look at their power trimmer. If you think the swager is great, the trimmer is even better.

Eb1
December 5, 2013, 11:37 PM
I have a possum trimmer right now that is working. I just bought a Ruger M77/44 and the Super Swage 600. I don't have much wiggle room from a $300 trimmer. I'd have to get a new tool head for it, also. I am using a 550b. Not a 650 or 1050 or 1250cc Wisesco Piston kit :).
But I bet you are right that it is a nice addition when you have that much brass. I am starting to not trim my .223 as much. I have noticed that it isn't making much difference in accuracy if any at all. I will do it the first time, and then just shoot it until it it is done, or gets really in need of a trimming.

gahunter12
December 5, 2013, 11:43 PM
I love my Super Swage 600! That's the best $100 I spent for reloading .223.

119er
December 6, 2013, 12:14 PM
CH4D. The Cadillac of swagers. Cheaper and faster too! All you need to supply is a single stage press and a shell holder. Minimal press stroke is required and you can burn through some cases in no time. Adjustments are super simple and there is no arbor or rod to slide cases over or flipping levers and stuff. Just slap a case in the holder and dip the press handle about an inch and repeat.

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/product/psk

Rollis R. Karvellis
December 6, 2013, 12:40 PM
After looking at the CH4D, I, just might have a Dillon swager up for sale.

Tom488
December 6, 2013, 01:25 PM
Here's a great modification to do, that really speeds up an already fast process. I did this to my SS600, and it worked great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

Otto
December 6, 2013, 01:33 PM
I have a Dillon swager that I never use. I've noticed that the crimped pockets on Lake City 556 aren't really that pronounced and primers for the most part can be seated without swaging. I hand prime so I can easily feel if a primer will seat or not....if one doesn't, I hit it with a reamer and continue on. I'd guess that 1-in-10 actually need reaming/swaging. And yes, this is OF brass.

I have more issues with pockets that are too loose in multiple fired brass. But there's a fix for that as well.

Eb1
December 6, 2013, 10:06 PM
I am happy with my purchase. I went through 2000 pieces very quickly, and to each their own. Happy hand loading!

lightman
December 7, 2013, 03:44 PM
Its a good tool. I bought mine as used, but I don't think it was, or at least not much.

We were right on the edge of that winter storm. We did not get hit as bad as we could have. I worked until late last night, and it was over, or so it seems. Its really cold outside, seems like a good day to spend at the loading bench and computer! Lightman

Dr.Zubrato
December 7, 2013, 05:57 PM
Whoah!
That CH4d swaging kit looks NEAT-O! I now regret buying that RCBS for the same price..
This is just a much more thought out execution, and the price is right!

119er
December 8, 2013, 02:39 AM
I'm thinking about making a video for YouTube on the CH4D swage. None currently exists but I'll be busy for the next week at least. I just switched to a Forster Co-ax press and gave my Hornady Classic SS to a friend who is starting out. I think the Forster will be slightly less comfortable due to press handle location. On a traditional press the handle stayed at waist level while swaging. We'll see. Gotta wait on shell holders too. Gave those away too along with the press.

Mr.Revolverguy
December 8, 2013, 08:51 AM
119er

I would love to see a video, I myself think the RCBS one is not very good. You have to use a lot of pressure and sometimes mine gets stuck in the brass and feel like you have to beat the press to get it to eject. I have stopped using it, I have had my RCBS Rock Chucker for 20 years and would like to have it another 20.

Greg Mercurio
December 8, 2013, 10:08 AM
There is a distinct difference between the Dillon and the others. The Dillon uses the pivoting post as the anvil for the swage, which then imparts no stress to the rest of the cartridge. The others use a shell holder style restraint which transfers the swaging force to the rim of the cartridge. I'm not too keen on stressing that part of the case myself. They all work, one just has a lower probability of damaged cases.

kelbro
December 8, 2013, 01:34 PM
I have used the SS for quite a while. Works great. Looking at the CH4D, I have an old press mounted primer seater (RCBS) that looks like it would work with just the swage pin from that kit. I wonder if they would sell it separately.

threerope
December 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
please let me know what shipping will be and what payment type you want. live in wi. thanks

Rushthezeppelin
December 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Here's a great modification to do, that really speeds up an already fast process. I did this to my SS600, and it worked great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY
That is a really nifty mod. If it was me I'd take one of those little kid basketball goals and put it up on the backboard of his catch bin. Get to have some nothing but net fun while you swage :D

billybob44
December 15, 2013, 03:46 PM
:DI use the 'Snot' out of my Dillon SS also. Same as you-mostly LC brass.

If you do trim, you will also deburr+chamfer. I place this:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/465641/rcbs-chamfer-and-deburring-tool-17-to-60-caliber.. in my drill press+hit the outside of the case mouth. Turn the tool over+do the inside of the case necks+lightly 'Hit' the primer pocket.--This takes out any small piece of crimp out+bevels slightly for GREAT primer installation..Bill.;)

Eb1
December 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
There is a distinct difference between the Dillon and the others. The Dillon uses the pivoting post as the anvil for the swage, which then imparts no stress to the rest of the cartridge. The others use a shell holder style restraint which transfers the swaging force to the rim of the cartridge. I'm not too keen on stressing that part of the case myself. They all work, one just has a lower probability of damaged cases.

This. Which I mentioned in the thread that 119er posted about the CH4D model, but I also said, different stokes for different folks.
This thread is about the Dillon SS600 not the CH4D. If you don't like it the Dillon SS600 then say so. It doesn't bother me one bit, but let's keep the topic of the thread on topic. If you do like it, and have seen cool mods, or have advice for setup, etc. Then please post as that is on topic. and should be discussed in this particular thread..
Thanks.

Greg Mercurio
December 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
Eb1: Pardon me for attempting to educate. You apparently need no further education so I will move along.

Eb1
December 15, 2013, 07:43 PM
I was agreeing with you. Jeez.

As far as education goes. Everyone can learn something everyday. I bought the product SS600 already if didn't know that by my first post. I wasn't comparing the two tools. Someone mentioned on this thread another tool. The CH4D tool as if it were superior, and I was unaware of the tool, and that I spent to much money for something that does the same thing but wasn't from Dillon.

I was saying please keep the topic about the SS600, and used your post as an example of the types of posts I would like to see regarding a post about the SS600. I don't know how you took it for me not....I don't know what you got out of my post, but it is obvious that you misunderstood.

If you enjoyed reading about "$100+ tool = peace of mind and less piece of skin" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!