Polymer 1911 Frames?

PDA

Chris Rhines
March 28, 2004, 04:12 PM
I know there are a bunch of folks doing polymer or polymer/hybrid frames for doublestack 1911s. STI, Infinity, Bul, etc.

What I'd like to know is if anyone is making polymer frames for singlestack 1911s.

Anyone?

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer 1911 Frames?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sean Smith
March 28, 2004, 04:43 PM
Not that I know of.

Lennyjoe
March 28, 2004, 08:44 PM
Kimber and BUL have the double stack 1911's but I dont know of any single stack.

The double's in polymer arnt much wider than the singles are they?

tc300mag1
March 28, 2004, 09:01 PM
no there pretty close to same size .. my Hk which is double stack is just a wee bit thinner than my 1911 according to my digital caliper and the kimber feels about same size as my HK.

SiG Lady
March 28, 2004, 10:55 PM
Polymer 1911s...??!!
SACRILEGE!!!!!!! :cuss:

Lennyjoe
March 29, 2004, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the new world Sig Lady;)

They say "change" is the hardest thing for a person to do. :D

Longbow
March 30, 2004, 12:45 AM
I've been waiting for a manufacturer to come out with one for years now, too. Kinda like an S_I but with a single stack handle :) . I think it would make a good alternative (lighter, tougher and maybe thinner) to alluminum frames, which doesn't have a good track record for longevity. The only downside I can see is that,...... it won't be able to use those exotic wood grips.:(

SiG Lady
March 30, 2004, 01:47 AM
I'm not afraid of change; I just don't like the way polymer FEELS...!!!!! :rolleyes:

rich2u
March 30, 2004, 01:29 PM
I believe the lady's trying to say " she likes the real thing" instead of a piece of plastic:D :neener:

SiG Lady
March 30, 2004, 01:35 PM
Yep!... :p

Correia
March 30, 2004, 02:26 PM
My competition gun is a polymer 1911, (BUL frame) There is something to be said about a 14+1 .45 that has been utterly reliable, extreamly accurate, reloads faster (huge mag hole), and fits my hand better. :p

Sacrilege? :) I guess so, but I shoot better with it than my steel frame guns. I'll take the shooting better over tradition any day. :)

Chupacabra
March 30, 2004, 02:26 PM
I would love to see a singlestack polymer 1911!!! :D

The only thing I would worry about though is unbalancing the design. Maybe it would be a little top heavy? But probably it wouldn't be any worse than a USP or other fullsize polymer gun.

:evil:

Dave T
March 30, 2004, 11:05 PM
Pick up a Wilson KZ-45 or KZ-45 Compact. They are actually slightly thinner at the widest point than a standard 1911 with grip pannels. Of course they are a little more boxy in circumfrence but superior to the larger double stacks like Paras, etc.

bdhawk
March 30, 2004, 11:08 PM
the wilson KZ45 is dern near a single stack. it feels about the same size as a single stack, yet it does hold ten rounds. it has a wierd magazine with a very long taper. it is designed to hold ten rounds, not a 13-14 rounder with downsized magazines-hince the smaller girth.
take a peek at it at www.wilsoncombat.com

bdhawk
March 30, 2004, 11:11 PM
wow!! dave t and i posted 'bout the same time. his hit while i was composing mine.

corruptone
March 30, 2004, 11:34 PM
The KZ45 is indeed a nice pistol and is indeed polymer, but it fails in a few aspects to some 1911 users. If someone could produce a single-stack polymer frame 1911 that used standard 7 or 8 round mags then THAT would fill a niche. I don't know anything about injection molding so I have no idea if this particular idea would even be possible, but if you could someone incorporate grip screw bushings in the polymer frame that would allow the use of custom grips....now THAT would be the ultimate for me personally. If there could be 100% (or close to it) parts interchangeablity that would be a big plus. Light, extremely durable, no aluminum or other allow strength issues to worry about. Could be possible that the polymer frame could absorb some of the recoil impulse as well. What a wicked carry piece one could produce. Oh yeah, make it available in either standard frame and a bobtail version!

Longbow
March 31, 2004, 01:30 AM
If there could be 100% (or close to it) parts interchangeablity that would be a big plus. Light, extremely durable, no aluminum or other allow strength issues to worry about.

Yup, and combine it with titanium rails and other lightweight components and make it a compact 1911. That would be my ultimate carry gun.:)
If H&K would like to jump-in in the 1911 frenzy, I think they should consider this idea. Anyone willing to knock on their door?:)

Sean Smith
March 31, 2004, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure if there is an advantage to a polymer frame over a... titanium frame. :D

Lighter than steel, stronger than aluminum, no slimy plastic feel. I would assume you could make a polymer frame cheaper, though.

Tamara
March 31, 2004, 11:12 AM
Haven't there been rumours of galling problems with Ti 1911 frames? I want one (at least after my current two 1911 projects are done), but I'd feel like a chump if it turned out to be a dog. :uhoh:

Sean Smith
March 31, 2004, 12:02 PM
Ted Yost's comments on titanium frames.

I spoke from the experience of only 18 or 19 titanium guns that have crossed my bench in the last 4 years. IIRC, I got the second or third prototype from Gary. The gun Mr. Hammer inquired about has over 7000 rounds through it in less than 1 year, and it's frame is uncoated. I don't fit overly tight, and I machine rather than lap my rails. All rail edges are bevelled. All have run well, none have had any of the galling, shattering, battering and general tendencies to turn to snot that we keep hearing about.

You might not get a dozen or so emails a week asking about all the "horror stories" of titanium, and does it do this and that?, and " my buddy says you can't machine it". I do, and these are the "urban legends" I referred to.

Seriously, I think it will be the LW 1911 of the future. Naked, coated, plated, lapped, machined, mated to stainless, mated to blue..... There are a whole lot of different combinations, different methods, and as I've been learning - differing results.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72170&page=2&pp=25&highlight=titanium+galling

Chris Rhines
March 31, 2004, 08:24 PM
Since you mention it, I would love to have a Titanium-frame singlestack 1911. But a hybrid polymer frame would be cheaper and easier to make.

- Chris

Longbow
March 31, 2004, 11:36 PM
Does titanium rusts like regular steel or is it almost rust free? Thanks!

rauchman
April 1, 2004, 09:56 AM
Second the Wilson KZ45. My shooting buddy picked up used one and it is really nice pistol.

Tamara
April 1, 2004, 10:07 AM
Does titanium rusts like regular steel or is it almost rust free? Thanks!

Titanium is non-ferrous and will not rust.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer 1911 Frames?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!