WFT

PDA

TBH
December 6, 2013, 07:54 AM
I have been looking into a new trimmer and checking these out. I have three trimmers, but the tolerance is about +\- .005". No matter what I do. It seems to me that a trimmer measuring oal. would be more accurate than one measuring from the shoulder. Videos and reviews show the WFT to be accurate within .001". Am I looking at this wrong?

If you enjoyed reading about "WFT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
December 6, 2013, 08:57 AM
With my WFT trimmers, I probably get +/- 0.001" variation depending on my technique.

Cases that need to be trimmed alot are probably more variable than cases that need just a little.

Also, you have to watch the build up of chips inside the housing. If a chip gets caught on the shoulder stop, it will affect the trim length, fortunately, long.

If you turn the case while trimming, the need to deburr and chamfer is minimized. I still deburr and chamfer to knock off the sharp corners on the case mouths.

I like the WFT trimmers, they replaced the Lee trimming system. I also use a L.E.Wilson trimmer for cases not covered by an WFT trimmer.

Hope this helps.

Walkalong
December 6, 2013, 09:21 AM
Yep, +/- .001 with a little care.

gahunter12
December 6, 2013, 10:09 AM
It seems to me that a trimmer measuring oal. would be more accurate than one measuring from the shoulder. the WFT is a great trimmer! I have one for .223, and I also have the Lee case gage trimmer. Both are very accurate. That said, the WFT trimmer does index off shoulder, and not off of OAL. The Lee case gage trimmer uses OAL with the case gage Hitting the shell holder chuck to keep it from going further. The WFT is a good bit faster since you don't have to attach each case to the shell holder.

119er
December 6, 2013, 11:32 AM
I also use WFT's and a Wilson. Everything cfullgraf said is on the money.

On my WFT trims, if I am loading a cannelured bullet, I tumble the crap out of the cases and it removes the little edge left by the trimmer on the outside. I don't bother chamfering the inside because there is really no burr to speak of. As it wears this may change though. I spin it very fast in a drill press I partially disassembled and clamp it in my bench vise. Call me lazy, but I do large quantities at one time to the point of having blisters when I'm done. I only do this with volume 223. Anything else gets the full treatment.

Another note: The WFT is sensitve to shoulder dimensions as you know. Use a little case lube in the necks to prevent stretch. I went to carbide expanders for added insurance! Also, I mark the insert on the WFT's with a line across it to indicate that it has trimmed all the way. As soon as the line appears I toss it in the pile on stick the next one in. I run it horizontal and do large quantities as I said before. I spin mine fast enough that very little shavings actually make it out of the trimmer until I stop it. It can fill up quick.

119er
December 6, 2013, 11:36 AM
If you get a WFT, you'll likely have a thought that resembles the re-arrangement of those letters regarding why you trimmed any other way!;)

TBH
December 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'm still confused why measuring off the shoulder is more accurate than oal off the rim but with your input and the reviews I've read it's time to buy!

Onewolf
December 6, 2013, 03:01 PM
I started with just the 260 Rem WFT. It works so well I bought WFTs for 260AI, 223, and 6.5 Grendel.

Rule3
December 6, 2013, 04:30 PM
If you get a WFT, you'll likely have a thought that resembles the re-arrangement of those letters regarding why you trimmed any other way!;)

:D That there is funny!:D

I don't care how it measures it just works and is very fast. Only thing to watch fo is stop every once and while and check inside, fine burrs and chips will collect and alter the trim length a little, They are supposed to fly out the clean out holes,

cfullgraf
December 6, 2013, 05:52 PM
If I keep the trimmer spinning for as many cases as I can, usually 4 or 5, the chips do not pose a problem with altering the trim length. But when I stop the trimmer, a pile of chips drop out one of the holes. It is at this time that I find chips get on the shoulder stop which affects the trim length.

I try to remember to put the trimmer over a receptacle to catch the chips and I try to slow the drill motor slowly which helps containing the chips but I do not always remember.

There are several of these little issues that affect the learning curve of the WFT trimmer. Nothing insurmountable, just some things to remember to do to to keep things tidier and not having brass chips scattered to the four winds.

Captaingyro
December 7, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm still confused why measuring off the shoulder is more accurate than oal off the rim

No one has really addressed this question. I think everyone is assuming you understand one basic fact, but it's possible it hasn't occurred to you: the reason indexing off the shoulder can be as accurate as OAL is that you must start with properly sized cases. The sizing takes care of the shoulder-to-head length. Then, the trimmer takes care of the shoulder-to-mouth length. The two processes together (sizing first!) is what gives you an accurate case length.

TBH
December 7, 2013, 01:50 PM
No one has really addressed this question. I think everyone is assuming you understand one basic fact, but it's possible it hasn't occurred to you: the reason indexing off the shoulder can be as accurate as OAL is that you must start with properly sized cases. The sizing takes care of the shoulder-to-head length. Then, the trimmer takes care of the shoulder-to-mouth length. The two processes together (sizing first!) is what gives you an accurate case length.
Now you're talking! Sometimes I wonder if I was dropped on my head!
Makes sense now. Thanks

AABEN
December 7, 2013, 02:23 PM
With my WFT trimmers, I probably get +/- 0.001" variation depending on my technique.

Cases that need to be trimmed alot are probably more variable than cases that need just a little.

Also, you have to watch the build up of chips inside the housing. If a chip gets caught on the shoulder stop, it will affect the trim length, fortunately, long.

If you turn the case while trimming, the need to deburr and chamfer is minimized. I still deburr and chamfer to knock off the sharp corners on the case mouths.

I like the WFT trimmers, they replaced the Lee trimming system. I also use a L.E.Wilson trimmer for cases not covered by an WFT trimmer.

Hope this helps.
Who makes that trimmer? I bought the new Lee it does a good job but they need to make the adj better it will skip some time.

Walkalong
December 7, 2013, 03:56 PM
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&dimensionids=4294843422&newcategorydimensionid=11888&searchscope=all

Dr.Zubrato
December 7, 2013, 04:41 PM
I'm so glad I purchased one of these after seeing this thread. Im thinking of making some kind of plastic screen between the drill and WFT so I could trim over a bin and not have to sweep up tons of shavings. Any ideas, or is it not that big of a deal?

cfullgraf
December 7, 2013, 07:18 PM
Some one modified a milk jug to shroud the trimmer. Search the forum and you may find it. Apologizes for not looking for the thread.

I trim over an old cookie sheet and it catches most of the chips. I trim several cases before stopping the drill motor, then I slow the drill motor down slowly where I want the chips to drop.

But, I sometimes forget and spray chips around.:)

Brooms do a marvelous job on concrete.

Walkalong
December 7, 2013, 09:34 PM
I just have to clean up my little mini lathe. I stop the lathe every once in a while and hand rotate it to clear hard headed chips that don't sling out.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=182038&d=1364607265

Dr.Zubrato
December 7, 2013, 11:45 PM
cfullgraf, I found the threa but unfortunately the pictures are no longer available thru the photobucket. I did find a pretty nice setup on youtube, pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2z-IL5RbFg at ~ 0:15
It isn't a giraud, but for the price I'll be able to buy a lot more alloy, primers, and powder.

That's a seriously cool setup walkalong!

cfullgraf
December 8, 2013, 12:29 AM
Dr.Zubrato, good, glad you found some information.

I like my WFT trimmers, but after buying several WFTs, i found the kits to change cartridges on a Giraud cost about the same as a WFT.

One of these days, I will try out the WFT on my lathe as Walkalong has done. but, my lathe is in another area of the house. Not a good reason, but it is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "WFT" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!