Pennsylvania THR range report

PDA

FlyinGN
March 28, 2004, 04:33 PM
I just got back.WOW is what I can say. Beautiful, location, beautiful day and a great time! Thanks Soda! You are a gracous host.. Good job man. When I left I wanted to say buy but could not find ya. Guess you were inside.. Met a buncha nice guys too..

Frank

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennsylvania THR range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeB
March 28, 2004, 06:57 PM
I agree with all above, I just got back as well. Sorry didn't say goodbye to some, the buddy I brought along had to get back home. I believe a great time was had by all, I know I did.

When's the next one?

AnklePocket
March 28, 2004, 08:25 PM
I hear ya.

Knives
March 28, 2004, 09:02 PM
I had a great time as well! Can't wait for the next one. :D

9mmMike
March 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
I did not see Frank or Cory there! Did I go to the wrong shoot?
And thanks for letting me try that AR15 in .50 Beowulf Mike! :D
Mike

Dave Markowitz
March 28, 2004, 09:12 PM
I had a blast today, pun intended. It was nice to put faces to some of the names I see on THR. Thanks to Sodapop for putting it all together and to mikeb for letting me shoot his Coonan and 1911.

I'm looking forward to the next THR get together.

Meanwhile, here are some pics from today:

Unknown shooter with his Beretta CX4 Storm:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/cx4storm.jpg

Chris (P95 Carry) and his Rohrbaugh:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/p95_rohrbaugh.jpg

Geoff Ross with his CZ-452:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/g_ross_cz52.jpg

Geoff and RON in PA shooting the bull:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/shoot_bull.jpg

More to come...

Dave Markowitz
March 28, 2004, 09:15 PM
A Hakim was in attendance:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/hakim.jpg

Some of the other hardware:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/rifles1.jpg

Yet more toys:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/rifles2.jpg

A bunch of High Roaders on the pistol range:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/pistolrange.jpg

A shot of the rifle range with the 200 yard butts in the center of this pic:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/riflerange.jpg

Dave Markowitz
March 28, 2004, 09:17 PM
Here's SodaPop instructing a couple new shooters:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/sodapop.jpg

And of course, what I got to do after I got home :)

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/cleanup.jpg

Dave Markowitz
March 28, 2004, 10:11 PM
One more pic ... RON in PA shooting my Mini-14 and mikeb with his AR in .50 Beowulf:

http://www.building-tux.com/pics/thr-032804/ron_mike.jpg

SodaPop
March 28, 2004, 10:21 PM
The official attendence today was 37 THR members + guests.

Holy freakin cow!:cool:

We had 8 new shooters trained at the pistol range and a couple of them eventually moved on to shooting assault rifles.:D

We had some pretty high level guests at the shoot today (thanks to Jody Hudson).

Great to meet all of you!!

Thanks to Ray Reno for taking a lot of the range duties off of me.

Hopefully we opened up a few minds and got a few more people to pay attention 2nd Ammendment legislation.

Lots more pictures to come.

Don't forget the NJ gathering is coming up soon!!!!!

I'll try and hold these PA gatherings every 2 months or so.

I finally got to shoot an M1 Carbine!!!!

:)

What a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RepublicanMan
March 28, 2004, 10:32 PM
It was great meeting you guys.............I must've missed ya Frank, or I just didn't recognize you since I haven't seen you since '99.

First time I've ever spent an entire day at the and only fired about 300 rounds total. :)

AnklePocket
March 28, 2004, 11:09 PM
Mike:
I got there early and had to leave by 12:45 (3:30 3 year olds' birthday party). Half a day wasn't nearly enough time. I left right when Ray got there - just a coincidence.
Looking forward to the next one and/or a NJ shoot and I'll try to talk Mrs. Pocket into coming.
I noticed the Rohrbaugh, but didn't recognize that it was a Rohrbaugh. How's that thing shoot (especially a comparison to a Kahr P9)? Looks like a real good one.

Cory

P95Carry
March 28, 2004, 11:10 PM
Indeed!!! EXCELLENT turn out made all the better by near perfect weather ... we lucked out on that for sure. Great seeing everyone but as ever ... I actually got to meet and speak to way too few of you guys. Most of you probably know who I am cos of taking a group pic .. but I sure as heck I wish I'd gotten to meet more properly.

Haven't been home too long ... man, that's a long haul ... at least .. seems longer comin back in the dark for a lot of it.

Dave M ... good to meet you and nice to see some pics already ... nice pic you got of my Hakim .. I dirtied that up good and proper .. and it's now #1 on the cleaning list .... messy Turk ammo!

The whole session started with David Parke and me battling to take his sights off his Kahr so as to fit Tritiums ... we succeeded in the end and final test seemed to prove they were pretty much ''on''.

Soda .... kudos dude ... you got a great day arranged and also good of you to spend so much time with newbies .. always rewarding . if tiring. Not to mention your desperate lack of food!!

I will upload my pics of the day ... well some .... once I have gotten organized and resized them for posting. Hopefully won't be too long.

Thx again for a great day.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn! How could have forgotten also to mention .... mega surprise was when Eric Rohrbaugh turned up .. and he had my gun with him!!!! I got to put about 30 rounds thru it .... and quickly got the ''feel'' .. what a superb little carry piece. Unfortunately it has to yet go the ''dealer route'' and so it will not be in my sticky paws just yet .... but soon I hope. Made my day that did.

fslflint
March 28, 2004, 11:20 PM
FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!! thanks to everyone who let me shoot their toys. although I would like to know whos 50 bmg i shot? thanks allot to everyone.

Marcus
March 28, 2004, 11:36 PM
What a great day! Great guns,great folks,great weather! :D A big THANKS to Soda. BTW let me know if you need any help for the next shoot. Nice to put faces with names and try all those cool toys. I never thought I`d get to try a Rohrbaugh,a Coonan and a .50 Beowulf in the same day! I can`t wait for the next one. :) Marcus

P95Carry
March 28, 2004, 11:38 PM
I have done this group pic first ... and will post other odd ones later if they seem interesting ..... they were mostly like Dave Markoviz' ones ... ''things going on''!!

I can only supply names for a few .. Soda perhaps can add some names but otherwise .. those who view this thread can perhaps ''point themselves out''! I of course am the ol'phart front left! :D

Oh and .. I have sized this image as 1,000 pixel width (normally wouldn't) - but it shows things better than if too reduced. .. so sorry - it'll scroll for many but it's compressed down quite tight so not too huge a file. I have a higher res version if anyone wants a copy.

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot3/march_pa_shoot/pa_march_04_group_s.jpg

Marcus
March 28, 2004, 11:45 PM
What a great day! Great guns,great folks,great weather! :D A big THANKS to Soda. BTW let me know if you need any help for the next shoot. Nice to put faces with names and try all those cool toys. I never thought I`d get to try a Rohrbaugh,a Coonan and a .50 Beowulf in the same day! I can`t wait for the next one. :) Marcus

SodaPop
March 28, 2004, 11:56 PM
Correction!!

Due to a hanging chad, the recount is actually 38 attendees.

The American flag in the background is a 48 star flag and we had the Virginia and Pennsylvania State flags blowin in the wind........................ the Culpeper Minuteman "Don't tread on me" also.

David Park
March 29, 2004, 12:50 AM
I just got back, unloaded the car (amazingly there was an empty space right in front of my building), turned off the lights in my apartment to make sure my night sights do actually glow (thanks for the installation help, Chris), and read through this thread. :)

I'm second from the left in the back row of the group pic. Just look for the pale white arms. :o What an amazing turnout! It was nice to see the "regulars" (Soda, Chris, Geoff, Jody, Ray Woodrow and crew, AnklePocket, dot_mdb, Quantrill, 9mmMike, and all the others) again and to talk with some new(er) people like Ray Reno and others whose names I can't remember right now because I need sleep. It was also cool to meet Eric Rohrbaugh and see the handgun in person. If I didn't already have a PM9, I would be tempted.

I only shot a little over 100 rounds! I'm going to visit the range later this week, and use that as an excuse to not clean my guns tonight. :evil:

FlyinGN
March 29, 2004, 07:42 AM
republicanman and 9mm mike, I had to leave early too.. I was there from 9:45 till about 1:00 ... I saw the Rohrbaugh too and was really impressed. Sweet lil gun for sure.. Loved those grips too P95 .. What were they??

RepublicanMan
March 29, 2004, 08:20 AM
I'm in the middle front with the Carolina Panthers sweatshirt, wearing a Hat and my ear muffs on my head.

I hear you David........I'm heading to the range this morning to finally shoot a little, I really want to see if this $90 Chicom SKS is going to keep grouping or if it was just luck. :D

David Park
March 29, 2004, 10:20 AM
How many states were represented? I think there were people from:
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York
Delaware
Virginia
Ohio

12 Volt Man
March 29, 2004, 10:39 AM
Looks like a great time. I love these range reports. Thanks for the photos!

fslflint
March 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
I'm 5th from the right on the bottom row with the white sweatshirt on and my hand partially covering my face (what was I doing?).

Dot_mdb
March 29, 2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks Jaimie for doing such a good job. Getting together with all of you was great.

Thanks also to Marcus for letting me shoot his S&W 4053 and his Kel-Tec P11. And thanks to Marcus's friend for allowing me to shoot his little Kel-Tec P32.

Bill

P95Carry
March 29, 2004, 11:37 AM
Loved those grips too P95 .. What were they?? FlyinGN ...... Did you mean the grips on the Rohrbaugh? They are the std grips ...... a very nicely finished carbon fiber .. machined and hand finished ... it has some blue within the matrix and depending on the light .. looks almost ''holographic''.!! That is one very well finished piece.

I have a few more odd pics to post but have stuff to get sorted right now .. will add them later. Oh and of course ... guns to clean <sigh>!:p

RON in PA
March 29, 2004, 11:40 AM
You just can't beat the aroma of burnt gunpowder and the music of gunfire on a warm, sunny Spring day. what a blast!

Thanks Jamie!

Pappy John
March 29, 2004, 11:51 AM
That was a really great time! Mikeb, thanks for bringing the unique AR hardware. That was some great stuff. And thanks again to Sodapop for organizing. I wish I woulda remembered my camera. Doh!!

P95Carry
March 29, 2004, 04:02 PM
Just three more pics ... as Dave Markoviz covered a lot of general stuff very well.

Republican man actually finding time to do some shooting .... loading up a mag. Thanks R.O. :)

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot3/march_pa_shoot/repman_mag_s.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bit more indulgence! Another pic from when I was putting some rounds thru the Rorhbaugh R9S .... Eric observing. Damn!! It looks so small for a 9mm ... and without mag just 12.8 ozs. Incredible.

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot3/march_pa_shoot/eric_cb_s.jpg

This time Jody Hudson also shooting his ... what a blast!

http://www.bedford.net/design/shoot3/march_pa_shoot/jody_cb_r9_s.jpg

When I get the R9S actually in my sticky paws for good ..... will try and do a more comprehensive range test for any who might be interested.

Dave Markowitz
March 29, 2004, 04:14 PM
Just three more pics ... as Dave Markoviz covered a lot of general stuff very well.

Aww shucks. You're gonna give me a swelled head. :)

SodaPop
March 29, 2004, 04:20 PM
How many states were represented?

Dave, I already told everyone we were flying a 48 star Flag.:p

I'm 5th from the right on the bottom row with the white sweatshirt on and my hand partially covering my face (what was I doing?).

I thought you couldn't stop laughing or something.:D

Frank5
March 29, 2004, 05:41 PM
It was a good time. I liked it. We need to do this again.

In the group photo, I'm front row,4th from the left.

RepublicanMan
March 29, 2004, 06:58 PM
[Mel Brooks]Why didn't anyone tell me my ass was so big?!?!?!?[/Mel Brooks]

(name that great movie lol)

Thanks for the pictures Chris.......I made up for the lack of shooting yesterday by going to the local state range today and putting a few hundred down range through the wifes SKS, the Cetme and the AR.....all in all a great long weekend.

P95Carry
March 29, 2004, 07:24 PM
(name that great movie lol) I'm thinkin ''Blazing Saddles'' ... but not 100% sure!

Don't worry Ray .. remember what they say about hammers and nails!;) ;) :p

SodiumBenzoate
March 29, 2004, 07:35 PM
:( Too much fun, too close to my house, without me being there. :p

Looks like you guys had a good time though.

9mmMike
March 29, 2004, 07:46 PM
"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog." - Spaceballs.
"I did not see you playing with your toys, again, sir!"

LOL
Mike

SodaPop
March 29, 2004, 08:27 PM
My girlfriend has a twin sister and I always use the line "chew yer gum" whenever they annoy me.'

By the way....... I'm the guy surrounded by..........

How many..... do we have on this ship??

I don't believe it..... I'm surrounded by........:evil:

MikeB
March 29, 2004, 09:23 PM
Well it was a great time; I'll definitely be at the next one. To all those that expressed any thanks to me, you are welcome.

I would also at this time like to invite any PA or area resident that wants to try out any of my toys and didn’t get a chance to at the shoot; to go ahead and contact me. We can meet up at the range I’m a member at; or I can meet you at Water and Wings. Just PM me.

BTW I shoot almost every weekend anyways, so to meet up with someone or visit a different range is no big deal.

Also funny story related to shoot. Marcus let me shoot his DA Smith - “1006” I think. It was extremely fun to shoot – nice trigger for a DA, 10mm- and I’m a recoil junkie as I’m sure several people noticed :D , anyways while I’m on the way home, I call my father – who actually built some of “my” guns and mentioned it to him. He said “Oh there’s one of those in the back of my safe.” Gee; I love Dad.:D

Marcus
March 29, 2004, 09:48 PM
LOL! Mike you gotta love that. With a collection like that I wouldn`t be suprised if there was a Mars Automatic back there too! :what:

Glad some folks liked playing with my toys. Thanks to all those who let me try theirs! That`s one of my favorite parts of these shoots. :) Marcus

SodaPop
March 30, 2004, 10:59 PM
FlyinGN, I coulda sworn you were in that group picture. If you aren't in there then we had 40 people at the shoot. I had to see how many were at the shoot and how many left before, and who came after the pictures.

Who had the Beretta storm? Man I wish I could have fired that and one of the Rohrbaughs.

FlyinGN
March 31, 2004, 07:32 AM
well I know ankle pocket and myself were not in that pic. And I did see at least 2 people drive away before I left.. Id be willing to bet that 5 people left before that pic was taken..

SodaPop
March 31, 2004, 08:29 AM
32 in the picture
6 left before the picture
3 showed up after the picture was taken.

There were about 15 more that tried to make it.

WOW!!!

Brian Williams
March 31, 2004, 09:05 AM
It sounds like you had a great time I was planning to come but I was suffering from a cross between selling buicks in a porcelan hopper and montuzuma's revenge.
I still want to check out Soda's 1894 and some other toys some of you had there.

Next time.

SodaPop
March 31, 2004, 09:29 AM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewww:uhoh:

RepublicanMan
March 31, 2004, 04:28 PM
The guy with the Storm is a regular customer of Tanners, he didn't know about the shoot, just happened to be there. I'll make sure he knows when we're out again so you can play with his toy.

SodaPop
March 31, 2004, 06:25 PM
If you ever see one of those USED at Tanners let me know!

Dead
April 1, 2004, 06:46 PM
damn no one had any AK's there... :P

P95Carry
April 1, 2004, 06:56 PM
no one had any AK's there... :p Oh yes they did!! :neener: I had mine and shot some ammo thru it during the afternoon. That was from the 200 yd FP which I shared with David Park.

Ok, it looks funny! But it fits me better! :D

http://www.bedford.net/design/cb_gun2/ak_red-dot.jpg

SodaPop
April 1, 2004, 07:18 PM
Look who's back from the ..........:D

Now all the NO SHOWS are showing up.:cuss:

RepublicanMan
April 1, 2004, 07:21 PM
Not such a bad thing in this case anyway Jamie....we'd have had to stack them like firewood at the rifle range in the am anyway with all the members that showed up.
I definitely think we should consider a pre-pay / reserve the entire range setup for the next event. Shouldn't be too hard to find out what the minimum cost would be from the owners and if it's doable....let's DO IT. :D

SodaPop
April 1, 2004, 07:42 PM
They emailed me asking when we were going to do it again.

You guys all made me look good!

:D

Next time we'll reserve the whole range.

FlyinGN
April 1, 2004, 09:13 PM
cool!!
That will be great!!
Frank

9mmMike
April 1, 2004, 10:31 PM
I kinda sorta like the non-THR folks who show up. It seems like we always meet some new and interesting people that way. At the first TFL Pop Festival, we shot next to an older gent with a M1 Carbine and a real honest to goodness Luger that he was happy to share. He also had some sort of old revolver that was shaving lead every time he fired and that was not too fun!
What about that youngster who brought his father out to shoot holes in books for his middle-school science project? I would feel bad if we chased people like that away.
I dunno, maybe we could reserve it and then just be real cool about allowing walk-ins? I'm just babbling now, sorry.
Mike

SodaPop
April 1, 2004, 11:30 PM
I dunno, maybe we could reserve it and then just be real cool about allowing walk-ins?

That's precisely what I did last weekend. Some of the members got cranky with me but I told them that I didn't want to shut down the range for the members. Next time I think we'll chain up the rifle range entrance and make any "walk ins" check in at the front desk.

You weren't there at 9am with the grumps. I think we'll keep the range closed to anyone that I don't like.:D

If anyone has an questions or suggestions for the next shoot feel free to post them or PM me.

RepublicanMan
April 5, 2004, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know if Photographer Chris got the rest of the photos up anywhere?

P95Carry
April 5, 2004, 06:05 PM
Ray .... I didn't post all that many .. mainly because Dave Markovitz put up quite a few and for the most part my other ones (apart from group) were similar.

I did post a pic of R9S, P-32 and P-11 for comparison .... here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=74039) and pics of shooting R9S here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=71420) .

Overall I think there are enough to give the ''flavor'' of the day but I can add one or two more if you wish.

RepublicanMan
April 5, 2004, 10:44 PM
No problem Chris......I didn't know any others were posted. I was just wondering where they were hiding so I could snag some copies for my fledgling website.

P95Carry
April 5, 2004, 10:52 PM
Flick thru this thread Ray .. IIRC, apart from what I mentioned in the two links above .. the rest are pretty much all here.

I can tho also if you seem short on them ... email a set .... but see what you can grab from here. That one of you ..... where you felt your butt was too big .. is here too I am sure!:D

Sgt Stevo
April 6, 2004, 10:10 PM
It was great to meet you guys. Dont worry wombat, When you hit puberty, that big 10 wont hurt so bad. I hope we can do it again soon. Be well and stay up. Stevo.....

SodaPop
April 7, 2004, 06:45 PM
Can the rest of you guys please point out who you were in the group picture if you haven't done it already?

I'd like to be able to put names to faces.

P95Carry
April 7, 2004, 06:52 PM
I'd like to be able to put names to faces. Don't listen to him ... he's an agent!! :D :neener:

J/K!!

Yeah ... we need some more I'D's .... wish I coulda properly met way more folks than I did.

SodaPop
April 7, 2004, 07:02 PM
Actually, I already have a pretty good idea who the ATF agents were.

CT_AR
April 8, 2004, 03:21 PM
Greeting THRers!!! I know I didn't meet many of you, but I cam with RepubMan and Soda was probably the only other one I met whose name I remember cause I'm new to this board, and I was on the rifle range all day anyway.......In the pic I'm the baldie with the sunglasses on...I was shooting an AR with Tan Fruniture......oh and what a great day.....hope to get to know all you guys a little more...
Greetings
CT

9mmMike
April 8, 2004, 06:24 PM
Actually, I already have a pretty good idea who the ATF agents were.
What gave me away? Was it my bow-tie camera or the fact that I kept talking into my shoe? It doesn't matter now as I have a list of all your names and the exact models of scary .22's that, if I may borrow a line from an anonymous reporter (from the Sylvia Siegrest days), "...is a gun made for killing, and killing quick!". :p
Not to be read aloud,
Mike

9mmMike
April 8, 2004, 06:27 PM
PS. Back row, sixth from the left, next to pretty blonde agent, err I mean chick.
:D
Mike, as far as you know.

SodaPop
April 8, 2004, 06:32 PM
Actually............... it was all the Spy Tech and ninja gear you had in the back of your truck.

9mmMike
April 8, 2004, 09:32 PM
I have GOT to get those dang windows tinted! Rats. Well I'm off to join a Michigan Militia.......... :cool:
Mr. 9.

Dave Markowitz
April 11, 2004, 09:56 PM
Can the rest of you guys please point out who you were in the group picture if you haven't done it already?

I'm all the way to the right, kneeling in the front row.

Dot_mdb
April 11, 2004, 10:31 PM
Good suggestion Dave.

I'm kneeling third from the left with the army type of jacket and a baseball cap.

Bill

9mmMike
May 18, 2004, 11:21 AM
Anyone who enjoyed these PA shoots and wishes to attend future events can find Jamie (SodaPop) over at The Firing Line (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/) .

Contrary to reports that I've read here, he has assured me that he was in fact banned from THR.

See y'all at the range.

Mike

edited to correct links.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pennsylvania THR range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!