2 greatest inventions in modern hunting

PDA

interlock
December 7, 2013, 07:52 AM
Guys,
What do you think have been the 2 greatest steps forward in hunting technology... maybe in the last 50 years?

I know what mine are.

Interlock

If you enjoyed reading about "2 greatest inventions in modern hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wyohome
December 7, 2013, 09:20 AM
1. Better bullet design.
2. Much better affordable optics.

sage5907
December 7, 2013, 10:48 AM
1. Better bullet design.

Ditto.

kbbailey
December 7, 2013, 11:14 AM
optics
optics

guyfromohio
December 7, 2013, 11:18 AM
Thinsulate

T.R.
December 7, 2013, 11:24 AM
1) climbing tree stand

2) Extinguisher deer calling system

TR

barnbwt
December 7, 2013, 11:34 AM
1.) Hollow/Soft point rounds
2.) Zero magnification optics (so geezers don't have to use iron sights or telescopes to hunt at 30yds ;))

TCB

snakeman
December 7, 2013, 11:39 AM
scent away

ghillie suit

because with these you don't need optics

morcey2
December 7, 2013, 11:42 AM
1. Better bullet in both consistency and construction
2. Sons who are excited to go hunting but double as pack mules. :)
2a. Better powder that is less temp sensitive. (but IMR-4064 is still my go-to powder for lots of stuff.)
2b. Much better camo, but it's getting a little extreme.

interlock
December 7, 2013, 12:25 PM
#1 Goretex
#2 neoprene.

:-)

H&Hhunter
December 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
#1. Laser Range finder.
#2. .30-06

#1. Cuts down on those "There I was, cross canyon at about 700 yards" stories. It's simply amazing how many big bull at 400+ yard shot stories get cut in half or more with the liberal application of a laser.

#2. Nuff said. The round really has never been improved on for practical purposes.

gamestalker
December 7, 2013, 12:54 PM
For the type of hunting we do out here, radios and ear buds are an absolute must.

And number two is range finders with BDC systems that correspond with the ballistics of the specific bullet / cartridge being used.

Back in the day, the only radio one could effectively use in the field would cost no less than $1000 each. And they would often get broken. They were also quite heavy due to the large number of batteries required, and they would eat batteries so quickly, everyone had to carry extra batteries too. Now days I can outfit everyone with ear buds / vox for around $75 per person and batteries will last for days before they go dead. Prior to these affordable radios, budget restricted hunters and guides used red flags to give signals to the hunter, up was go straight, down meant straight back, right, left, and stop was waving the flag back and forth. It was a pain in the butt cause you didn't always have eyes on each other.

And before we had any decent means of ranging the shot became available, missed shots were common place, especially when the distance exceeded 250 yds or so.

Bullets have definitely come a very long way, but I don't think it has had a major impact on kill shots. I think any decent bullet, even some that are from the 60's and 70's will easily get the job done if the shooter can put it where it needs to be in the first place. For instance, I use a Speer BTSP that has been around since at least the 70's, probably longer, and I just saw two deer killed this week with those Speer's.

GS

hentown
December 7, 2013, 01:08 PM
For dove hunting in large fields with a few shooters, I'd have to opine that the greatest invention ever would be a reliable remote-control helicopter. When the doves started lighting a few hundred yards beyond the hunters' reach, you'd just herd the doves back towards you with the helicopter.

oneounceload
December 7, 2013, 06:43 PM
Goretex
one piece plastic shot wad

tahunua001
December 7, 2013, 06:47 PM
better bullets, better camo

ms6852
December 7, 2013, 08:13 PM
For hunting this is the best invention:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Portable-Toilet/10957683?srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=34-92986279-2&wmlspartner=pricegrabber.com&adid=csepg00000000000000000000000000000101&veh=csehttp://www.walmart.com/ip/24419961http://www.walmart.com/ip/24419961

MCgunner
December 7, 2013, 08:30 PM
The thermocell and, after today's hunt, the propane heater. :D

Patocazador
December 7, 2013, 08:45 PM
GPS and the climbing stand.

I still have my original Baker stand.

There were adequate bullets (Nosler Partition) and many of the fine rifles were available over 80 years ago.

morcey2
December 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
scent away

ghillie suit

because with these you don't need optics
Depends on the state. In Utah, unless you're willing to wear a blaze-orange ghillie suit during rifle season, which kind of defeats the purpose, optics will still be awfully handy.

Matt

MutinousDoug
December 7, 2013, 10:53 PM
1) Down sleeping bags/jackets

2) Coated Nylon tarps

witchhunter
December 7, 2013, 11:30 PM
1. Laser range finder.
2. Danner boots or Goretex

Savage99
December 7, 2013, 11:39 PM
Blaze orange clothing. <---makes hunting safer.

Wide spread use of riflescopes.

Arkansas Paul
December 8, 2013, 12:03 AM
1. Controlled expansion bullets
2. Mr. Buddy portable propane heaters

AKElroy
December 8, 2013, 12:32 AM
Depending on what constitutes modern,

1. Smokeless powder
2. Quality affordable optics

courtgreene
December 8, 2013, 01:25 AM
Insulated waders and affordable (mass produced) decoys

jim in Anchorage
December 8, 2013, 02:27 AM
Let's see. 50 years ago. 1963. What gun/ammo would I be using? Why the same 1951 made Winchester M70 30-06 stuffed with Nosler 180 gr partitions I use today. So the gun is out.
So I go with the modern 4 wheelers we have today. I 1963 I would have to buy a old military jeep, find and install oversize aircraft tires on it and pray I got a mile in before it broke.
Now just go to the Honda dealer, buy a Foreman 4x4 and you will have a reliable machine that will take you across the swamps all the way up to the sheep country.

Art Eatman
December 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
Probably ATVs and laser range finders. Lotsa new stuff, but little of it is all that important for hunter success.

Might add in stuff for bow hunters, about which I know little.

gspn
December 8, 2013, 12:59 PM
1. Better bullet design.

My gut is to go with these.

I do wonder though...could one of the biggest improvements be manufacturing and design processes?

I can walk into any number of stores right now and buy a stock hunting rifle that will shoot Sub MOA for $600 to $800. I don't have to do anything to it but take it out of the box. Was this the same 50 years ago? I wasn't around 50 years ago so I don't know the answer...but I'm curious. Could one of the best "inventions" be computer aided design, or some other manufacturing process?

Andrew Leigh
December 8, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hi

Personally I would discount bullets as even old technology bullets bring home the bacon. I would agree perhaps if we were talking long range target shooting but not general hunting. I would agree bullets if the hunting was limted to dangerous game like Buff and Elephant but this does not represent the majority of hunting experiences.

1. The philosophy of the accurate rifle - In this I believe that the technology and product available to the modern shooter to allow them to improve accuracy is a massive.

a) Rifles are produced more accurately from the outset.
b) Bedding techniques have improved and are accessible to the average shooter and no longer limited to the gunsmith.
c) Loading software has removed a lot of the guess work from load development improving accuracy.
d) Equipment is available to the average shooter to measure results etc.
e) Better equipment is available to reload with.

So I think that the one greatest inventions has been the improvement in accurizing rifles. I know this covers a couple of points but it is the

2. Improvement in quality and cost of optical aiming devices.

WTBguns10kOK
December 8, 2013, 06:15 PM
1. Bullet material.
2. Bullet design.

MCgunner
December 8, 2013, 08:54 PM
1. Smokeless powder
2. Quality affordable optics

Nah, I like the holy black, myself. But, I'm getting old and so are my eyes, so I might go with the optics thing. But, ya know, sit in my blind for a hour at 85 degrees, then tell me the Thermocell ain't one of the most fantastic things ever invented! :D It's fun watching those little blood suckers fly out the window and hear the constant buzz go quiet.

Then, sit in my blind for an hour at 28 degrees (yesterday) and tell me you don't appreciate a propane heater! ROFL! :D

MCgunner
December 8, 2013, 08:59 PM
So I go with the modern 4 wheelers we have today. I 1963 I would have to buy a old military jeep, find and install oversize aircraft tires on it and pray I got a mile in before it broke.

I see you've dealt with old jeeps. :D I spit my drink on THAT one. ROFL! Amen, brother, amen! :D

jim in Anchorage
December 8, 2013, 09:19 PM
Oh the woods and tundra of Alaska are littered with the carcasses of old busted Jeeps. Nothing makes a hunt like busting a axle in 4 feet of mud 20 miles back in.:cuss:

Art Eatman
December 8, 2013, 10:04 PM
In 1950, the old Hornady Spire Point in an '06 was killing deer just real dead.

A Weaver K2.5 was plenty for a 16-year-old to hit jackrabbits at 200 yards, and get five-shot groups around one MOA. Heck, the rifle design was 1917. :)

351 WINCHESTER
December 8, 2013, 10:17 PM
Better scopes and better clothing.

red rick
December 8, 2013, 10:44 PM
Better clothing.
Better tree stands.

Ranger Roberts
December 9, 2013, 11:21 AM
1) Better clothing
2) Atv's

AKElroy
December 9, 2013, 04:26 PM
Delete.

skiking
December 10, 2013, 12:47 AM
1. Waterproof breathable fabrics
2. Quality optics

Todd1700
December 10, 2013, 05:15 AM
1. Safe Climbing tree stands for deer hunting.
2. Denser than lead shot for turkey hunting

Kernel
December 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
The internet.

Skyshot
December 15, 2013, 03:35 PM
Gortex boots and lightweight water proof clothing. Wool is still great but it's heavy. And I can still slay any critter with a century old 6.5x55 rifle and fifty year old ammo.

der Teufel
December 18, 2013, 05:43 PM
Electronic hearing protection rates high on my list.

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Profile-Electronic-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00BD4VETI

These have built-in stereo microphones so you can still hear what's around you (maybe even slightly better than normal) but they shut off when a loud noise like a gunshot occurs. When I shoot, all I hear is a "WHOOMP" sound.

These have the capability to plug in an MP3 player or whatever for when you're mowing the yard, but we use them to connect to a small FRS radio. When we're hunting hogs (which is all I do) my buddy and I can go in opposite directions and call the other if we see something interesting. Even when we're within sight of each other, but perhaps 50+ yards apart, we can just talk over the radios instead of shouting.

If we want to get the other person's attention quietly, a couple of clicks on the mic button work well.

As a bonus, they keep my ears warm when the weather is cold.
--

tactikel
December 18, 2013, 08:04 PM
+1 on GPS. It has given me confidence to explore new areas, and to find a blind 1/4 mile away in total darkness in the rain.

AKElroy
December 19, 2013, 12:29 AM
Game cams. I really like being able to see what and when my beasties come around. Who, as well.

Loyalist Dave
December 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
Compound Bow

I don't use one but they revolutionized bow hunting, putting more hunters in the woods and harvesting more deer.

Higher quality over the counter ammunition

Yes bullets have improved, but so has the consistency of the loads in factory ammunition. So I'd put Optics a very close third, for a good set of optics might not mean an accurate shot if the ammo is crap, and good optics mean more when you add good bullet performance upon impact.

LD

rodinal220
December 22, 2013, 11:16 PM
1) Insulated Thermos

2) Box of Kripsy Kreme donuts

If you enjoyed reading about "2 greatest inventions in modern hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!