Suppressor laws around the world?? E.g. Norway, New Zealand

PDA

wacki
December 7, 2013, 03:01 PM
I've heard that suppressors aren't regulated in any shape or form in Norway and possibly New Zealand. Is this true? Any hard links / evidence supporting this?

What countries regulate suppressors like scopes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor laws around the world?? E.g. Norway, New Zealand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hq
December 7, 2013, 08:49 PM
Around here (Finland) suppressors used to be completely unregulated until June 2011. Nowadays you just have to show a valid firearm permit ,ie. proof that you legally own a gun, and you can buy as many as you like. Anything sold as an "air gun suppressor" is still completely unregulated, meaning that you can pick up a can for anything up to .50BMG without any paperwork if you want. You just buy it "for your pellet gun" if you don't happen to have your gun permit with you.

Most European countries are pretty much the same. Suppressors aren't a big deal and they're very common.

Midwest
December 8, 2013, 10:56 AM
I found a site in New Zealand where they sell "Silencers & suppressors" for $99 NZ and up.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/firearm-parts/silencers-suppressors

Odd Job
December 8, 2013, 11:05 AM
In the UK a suppressor is called a sound moderator. If you want a moderator for a firearm, the moderator must be held on a firearms certificate. In essence it is licensed the same as a firearm.
However, there is no resistance to granting the amendment to your existing firearms certificate. In fact it is encouraged to use moderators for health and safety reasons. When I got my moderator I paid a 26 admin fee to have my certificate amended and then I waited 4 days for the admin to be done. I then bought an ASE Utra rimfire suppressor via Jackson Rifles for 80.
I could have had any number of Parker Hale suppressors for 23 and up from dealers at the club but unfortunately those are threaded 1/2 x 20 and I needed 1/2 x 28...

Odd Job
December 8, 2013, 11:08 AM
There is another thread where some of this was discussed:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=735233

Anmut
December 8, 2013, 03:48 PM
What is the cost compared to what we pay? I have a hard time believing there's $1k in material in ANY of today's rifle cans.

Odd Job
December 8, 2013, 06:21 PM
There was a big thread on that also, which got quite heated if I recall. Let me see if can find it...

Odd Job
December 8, 2013, 06:23 PM
Here you go:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=688434

hentown
December 8, 2013, 07:48 PM
I'm convinced that the main reason suppressors are so expensive is because they're government-regulated. I don't believe that as much expertise, either in machining or anything else related to manufacturing is required for making a suppressor as is required to manufacture a firearm.

If we could get the government out of that part of our lives, we'd be buying quality suppressors for a couple-hundred bucks.

Tejicano Loco
December 9, 2013, 02:16 AM
Well, I would bet that a big part of the price for a suppressor in the US market is due to regulation but there is no arguing the huge improvements in effectiveness and size over the past 20 years. There is some level of skill and knowledge required to produce good, modern suppressors.

I think that some of this comes from the expanded market - to both LEO and military procurement. But I would also say that due to the increased expense that regulation adds to each transaction those increased costs made it more profitable, thus competitive, to produce a better can.

ewlyon
December 9, 2013, 08:07 AM
I just got back from five months in New Zealand and suppressors there are easy and cheap to get. Many guns are already threaded even on the used market. I bought an overbarrel unit for my 270 Win for about 250usd and it worked like a charm. Only bad part was having to leave it in New Zealand rather than bringing it back with the gun.

Charger442
December 9, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'm convinced that the main reason suppressors are so expensive is because they're government-regulated. I don't believe that as much expertise, either in machining or anything else related to manufacturing is required for making a suppressor as is required to manufacture a firearm.

If we could get the government out of that part of our lives, we'd be buying quality suppressors for a couple-hundred bucks.
i believe you are wrong. and i know that Zak Smith of TBAC would disagree with you too.

hq
December 9, 2013, 02:55 PM
What is the cost compared to what we pay?

About 40-70 for decent rimfire and basic models, 150-200 for modern steel/aluminum cans, 400-500 for top of the line and big bore suppressors. Multiply that by 1.37 for US$ at today's exchange rate.

Most of my cans have been around $150 or so, AU (Ase-Utra), BR reflex suppressors, VAIME lightweight models etc. Magazines publish comparison tests every now and then and whenever something new and more effective comes up, I usually buy 2-3 to replace older cans. It's a vicious cycle, I probably have an Ikea storage box full of old cans I haven't used in years, some even in decades.

Then again, frying old cans with a belt-fed is always a fun way to get rid of them. They heat up massively after a couple of thousands of rounds and eventually they melt... :cool:

hentown
December 9, 2013, 07:23 PM
i believe you are wrong. and i know that Zak Smith of TBAC would disagree with you too.

I guess my opinion's probably as credible as Zak's. ;) You or Zak bought a suppressor in Finland lately? :evil:

Just a few years ago, when I thought I was going to acquire a MAC 10 with one of their old "wiper" suppressors, a guy at Gemtech offered to completely rebuild that can, including all new innards, for $150. How much more could the tube itself cost?

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor laws around the world?? E.g. Norway, New Zealand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!