Where are the .257 Roberts?

PDA

TexasPatriot.308
December 8, 2013, 11:56 AM
I been looking for a .257 Roberts, I am almost 60 and got away from large calibers, .308 is largest I shoot anymore. Buds gun shop, Impact guns, Guns America, none have any listed. I know Ruger and Winchester still chamber rifles in .257 but can find one anywhere. Been wanting to treat myself to one for Christmas. For my part of Texas this caliber will do the job for any game animal....and I just flat want one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are the .257 Roberts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tolkachi Robotnik
December 8, 2013, 12:01 PM
Before the 25-06 came out the .257 was a real deal. After they were both around the one popular in the 1950's and 1960's fell off the list of calibers. There was a time when both were a little bit on the custom fringe.

They are both very good deer rounds.

Robert
December 8, 2013, 12:05 PM
I doubt that is a chambering that many places will carry in stock. You may have to have someone special order one for you.

TexasPatriot.308
December 8, 2013, 12:08 PM
the Ruger catalog still shows the M77 in .257 Roberts, there just none on the market right now....Winchester chambers a model too.

yamahawarrior89
December 8, 2013, 12:10 PM
With that said, it does all the searching for you. Check it out, there are a few 257 Roberts there, kinda pricey though.

www.gunwatcher.com/gun/76AF6D6A89F9/257-roberts

wgp
December 8, 2013, 12:15 PM
There's one in my safe, but not for sale. I killed my first buck with it, a Ruger 77 RL Ultra Light. I got interested in the caliber from reading and finally found one used but good at a gun show, years ago. I agree that I don't see many these days at shows.

Buzzard
December 8, 2013, 12:17 PM
Savage makes several rifles in .257 Roberts. Their custom shop can chamber any rifle they make in that caliber, too, and for not much more than an off-the-shelf rifle.

LAGS
December 8, 2013, 01:02 PM
I have Two .257 Roberts Barrels waiting to be mounted on Mauser actions.
I love that caliber and the 25-06 for longer range, and already built two of them on Mauser actions.
I am going to build the .257 Roberts on Yugo mauser Actions since they are mid length actions.
I have the barrels, wood for the stock, the rifles all the tools, except for the chamber reamer to go to .257 Roberts Improved.
I just don't have the Money or really the time to build another rifle right now.

beatledog7
December 8, 2013, 03:55 PM
It took me two years to find an A-Bolt Medallion in .257 Roberts. Now that I have it in my possession, that's where it's staying.

HexHead
December 8, 2013, 04:20 PM
How about a .257 Weatherby? Their Vanguard S2 rifles in that caliber are pretty readily available.

greyling22
December 8, 2013, 05:39 PM
I know where they are not: at my range leaving brass around. I really like the 257, but unfortunately it has fallen out of favor and I think it will become more and more scarce. I think you may want to pick a different caliber. maybe a 243, a 6.5x55, or a 7mm-08?

of you could have a shaw mk7 built chambered in one. it will be a savage action in a boyds stock with pretty much any shaw barrel you want attached. Should run you less than a grand.

headoftheholler
December 8, 2013, 05:48 PM
I think most people that have a 257 Bob will keep it, add that to a diminishing new supply of rifles in that chambering and you have your answer. I know for certain my GEW88 rebarreled to 257 bob aint going nowhere.

dprice3844444
December 8, 2013, 05:52 PM
http://houston.texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=473850

just google 257 roberts rifles for sale

Ky Larry
December 8, 2013, 06:07 PM
My cousin/shooting buddy/best friend has a Model-70 in .257 Bob. IIRC, his dad, my great uncle, ordered it from Spiveys Sporting Goods in Lexington,Ky in 1959.IIt probably hasn't had 10 rounds thru it. It looks brand new.

JudgeHolden10
December 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
I think Robert is right.

You may have to have someone special order one for you.

I saw a gentleman at my LGS picking up a Winchester in .257 about four months ago. I think it was a Featherweight. He had ordered it eight or nine months beforehand, so they're out there, just hard to find.

DRYHUMOR
December 8, 2013, 07:40 PM
My two aren't going anywhere soon....

There seems to be quite a few here though.

http://search.gunsinternational.com/search_results.cfm

oldcelt
December 8, 2013, 07:52 PM
Got a nice old mod. 70 Win. super grade ser.no. 62xxx, .257 roberts but no plans to part with it. good accurate rifle.

morcey2
December 8, 2013, 07:58 PM
I have a new 257 roberts that was built on a yugo captured K98 action. I've seen a few others around here at pawn shops and gun stores, but not a ton.

I'm still trying to find brass, though. I picked up 50 cases when I sent the receiver and barrel off to be mounted and headspaced, but I should have picked up a bunch more. No one has it in stock and I have (or am having built) guns in all of the other related 57mm-length chamberings so I don't want to make brass out of those and have the wrong head stamp on it.

Matt

TexasPatriot.308
December 8, 2013, 07:59 PM
I am far from gun poor, I got just about every caliber out there. the .257 Roberts is one dI don't own. like I said I don't want anymore shoulder bruisers and the .257 Weatherby mag is another one....right now the rifles that go with me to the pasture or deer lease are in .308, 7mm-08, .22-250, 7x57. the others stay in the safe....I just want a .257 Roberts...just cuz......

tdoyka
December 8, 2013, 07:59 PM
TexasPatriot.308 I been looking for a .257 Roberts, I am almost 60 and got away from large calibers, .308 is largest I shoot anymore. Buds gun shop, Impact guns, Guns America, none have any listed. I know Ruger and Winchester still chamber rifles in .257 but can find one anywhere. Been wanting to treat myself to one for Christmas. For my part of Texas this caliber will do the job for any game animal....and I just flat want one.

i've been looking for 20+ years, hopefully money is on the way and i'll be happy:D

t/c encore, 21" MGM Barrel heavy factory, in the 257 bob ai
i've got the frame all i need is the barrel

HexHead
December 8, 2013, 08:02 PM
I have a. .257 Weatherby and it's recoil is about the same as my .308. I fired 40 rounds through it one day to break the barrel in, and I was completely comfortable afterwards.

Weatherby rifles, between the recoil pads on them and the stock design aren't punishing.

Float Pilot
December 8, 2013, 10:46 PM
Some of the more recent ( last 30 years) crop of factory 257 Roberts rifles have been handicapped by being offered in short actions. This forced the factory bullets to be shoved way back into the powder thus reducing velocity. It probably goofed up the legendary 257 Roberts accuracy.

The old custom rifles that were built on long Model 70s or Model 98 Mausers allowed the bullets to be loaded long like a Swede Mauser.

An intermediate length action like a Yugo M-48 makes a great basis for a custom 257 Roberts. If you give it a long enough throat.

Savage99
December 8, 2013, 11:33 PM
The old 257 Roberts never caught on. It's too big ricochet and noise wise as a chuck gun and most want more power for big game.

Nor does it fill long actions well nor fit it short actions.

What little popularity it had died with the introduction of the 243 Winchester.

However it's a rifle cartridge and interesting in a way I suppose.

dubbleA
December 8, 2013, 11:34 PM
There's a place not far from Luling that most likely has some Winchester M70's in the Roberts, it's in Buda next to the water tower called Cabelas.

Eb1
December 8, 2013, 11:47 PM
What is wrong with a .25-06 with a Boyd's laminated stock? My XL7 probably recoils less in that Boyd's stock than a .257 Featherweight.

TIMC
December 8, 2013, 11:54 PM
What is wrong with a .25-06 with a Boyd's laminated stock? My XL7 probably recoils less in that Boyd's stock than a .257 Featherweight.

Well the obvious.... Its not what he wants! :p

50 Alaskan
December 9, 2013, 12:13 AM
I'll sell you raffle tickets for the Winchester model 70 chambered in 257 Roberts in my RMEF Banquet that is coming up.

Eb1
December 9, 2013, 12:53 AM
I know it isn't what he is after, but he mentioned recoil was an issue, and possibly they are a hand loader.
If a rifle other than featherweight cannot be found, and he needs a rifle now, which is unknown, but if they do hand load then a quarter bore can be had in the .25-06 and loaded to any desired amount of recoil they wish.
I was just being friendly with options. I know, because I don't like it when someone says this is better than that. But that is not what I am trying to say.
I have a thread regarding the Super Swage 600 from Dillon where I say $100 + dollars "peace of mind" saves "pieces or skin" or something like that. Where a person is all about a C4HD or something saying it is better and cheaper, etc, etc. Well I don't have a Single Stage Press to run it in even if I wanted it. I don't have a tool head to put it in even if I wanted it. I wanted a Dillon Super Swage 600. A dedicated tool to swage .223 and 9mm. I got it. The one I wanted, but they just insist on making a youtube video to show me how "wrong" I was. At least that is what it seems.

I hope the OP finds the .257 Roberts. I think there is a Ruger M77 in that caliber right now. Which would be an awesome rifle.
Good luck.

gscrasher
December 9, 2013, 12:55 AM
Bought a new Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts this past summer off the rack at Sportsman's Warehouse in Albuquerque. It is a long action.

DRYHUMOR
December 9, 2013, 05:35 AM
Hmmm no .257 rifle pics yet..... most unusual. :rolleyes:

joed
December 9, 2013, 05:51 AM
I know how the OP feels, he wants a .257 Roberts and not something else. Just last year the local place had one here but already having a .25-06 I passed on the Roberts and went to a .243 Win.

Keep looking, you'll find one. I'm a big fan of the .257 so I know why you want it.

headoftheholler
December 9, 2013, 06:36 AM
Old school 88 Sporter rebarreled to 257 Roberts
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/larryslamps/DSCF3679_zpsd92ab07e.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/larryslamps/DSCF3683_zpseb900f44.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m15/larryslamps/DSCF3686_zpsa8dcf969.jpg

TexasPatriot.308
December 9, 2013, 10:00 AM
when you can find one at Cabelas, they are about $1400 and don't stay in stock long. should have picked one up last time I was there. instead I walked out with a new Ruger 1911....went back a week later and the last one was sold.

CraigC
December 9, 2013, 10:01 AM
Always wanted a Ruger 77 International in .257Roberts and ended up with one of the recent Lipsey's matte stainless versions in .250Savage. It's a nice little rifle and would be a fantastic .257. I'd suggest waiting for what you want, rather than settling for something else. It will be easier to feed than my .250 is and it's not really a big deal.

TexasPatriot.308
December 9, 2013, 10:30 AM
I am looking everywhere, aint gonna jump on the first one, this will be a special rifle for me cause I can almost see putting some of my other rifles to the back of the safe. front row will be my old 788 in .308, 7mm-08, 6.5 Swede, Ruger No. 1 .22-250 and the .257...I will be 60 soon and it will be a gift to myself.

CraigC
December 9, 2013, 10:43 AM
Here's a nice Ruger:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=379774182

Dr. Sandman
December 9, 2013, 10:51 AM
Wow. I know that it is a gun discussion web site, but don't offer a man a hamburger when he wants a hot dog!

BTW, it looks like there are 25 or so bolt action rifles alone, currently on Gunbroker, chambered in .257 Roberts.

Your other option is to tirelessly (sp?) go to every gun show, gun shop, gun club, garage sale and swap meet until you find what you want. I'm sure that your family won't mind.

morcey2
December 9, 2013, 11:02 AM
Mine's fairly generic, but here it is:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=191180&stc=1&d=1384444306

jimmyraythomason
December 9, 2013, 11:04 AM
This one has possibilities! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=380403677

dubbleA
December 9, 2013, 11:22 AM
when you can find one at Cabelas, they are about $1400 and don't stay in stock long. should have picked one up last time I was there. instead I walked out with a new Ruger 1911....went back a week later and the last one was sold.

It's not rocket science, Cabelas has a huge selection across the US. I just looked at their gun library and they had 21 257 Roberts to choose from. Some of those are "pending". Simply pick the rifle you want and they will transfer it to the store.

Here is one that they list as available in the Buda store .

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-Library/Buda-Gun-Library%7C/pc/103792680/c/105930180/Winchester-Model-70-Cabelas-Edition-in-257-Robt/1784174.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbuda-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1103644%2B4294736118%2FNe-4294736118%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

mnhntr
December 9, 2013, 01:06 PM
Let me start by saying I load for my wife's .257 so I know about them. What I do not get is the why. If she was not emotionally attached to this I would re-barrel it in a second to .243. I was having a disagreement on another forum about this and for the life of me I do not get why. Is it to be different? Do you like being limited to a poor selection of bullets? Maybe finding about any rifle you can think of chambered in your caliber and tons of factory ammo is a bad thing? IMHO the .25 are has been calibers since there are plenty of better choices on both sides in 6mm or 6.5mm with a way better bullet selection and factory ammo. Not to mention I can find everything from a lightweight hunter to a benchrest rifle chambered in them.

mooner
December 9, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think some people just want to be different. Good for them!

jimmyraythomason
December 9, 2013, 01:21 PM
What I do not get is the why. Question was answered before it was asked...... I just flat want one. That is really the only reason needed.

mdauben
December 9, 2013, 01:23 PM
w about a .257 Weatherby? Their Vanguard S2 rifles in that caliber are pretty readily available.
If you hand load I think the Weatherby is a very viable alternative. If you stick with factory ammo, though, the Weatherby is significantly more expensive and has a lot more kick than the Roberts for slightly better ballistics. Nothing against the Weatherby, I'm something of a fan myself, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize both the advantages and disadvantages of their cartridges. ;)

Ratshooter
December 9, 2013, 01:26 PM
I just checked gun broker and they show 24 rifles in 257 roberts. That includes several ruger MKIIs and a couple of the ultra lites.

CraigC
December 9, 2013, 02:20 PM
What I do not get is the why.
I wouldn't trade a good .257 for a crate of .243's. If we're gonna ask why, I don't know why anyone would rather have a glorified varmint cartridge for deer.

Not everybody wants the plain vanilla selection at the local Walmart. :rolleyes:

T.R.
December 9, 2013, 02:37 PM
Sometimes GunBroker.com comes through right away.

TR

morcey2
December 9, 2013, 02:45 PM
Let me start by saying I load for my wife's .257 so I know about them. What I do not get is the why. If she was not emotionally attached to this I would re-barrel it in a second to .243.

I like the longer neck in the 257 (and also 6mm rem) for reloading consistency.

I was having a disagreement on another forum about this and for the life of me I do not get why. Is it to be different? Do you like being limited to a poor selection of bullets?

My 257 is specifically a hunting rifle and there are plenty of 25 caliber hunting bullets that run the range from varmints to deer. I know people who use partitions on elk, but I wouldn't.

Maybe finding about any rifle you can think of chambered in your caliber and tons of factory ammo is a bad thing?

I had my rifle built to my specs so finding a factory rifle is a non-issue. I handload everything for my 257 so factory ammunition is also a non-issue.

IMHO the .25 are has been calibers since there are plenty of better choices on both sides in 6mm or 6.5mm with a way better bullet selection and factory ammo.

That's why I'm having a 6mm Rem built along with at least one 6.5x55. :) I'll probably also build a 6.5-06 in the near future.

Not to mention I can find everything from a lightweight hunter to a benchrest rifle chambered in them.

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that someone might have different priorities and preferences than you? I view 257 Roberts and 270 Winchester as very similar in terms of purpose and usage. They're almost always hunting rifles. The bullet selection for both calibers (0.257 & 0.277) have developed around that specific usage. They're not used much in benchrest or tactical situations so there aren't many target type bullets offered. (6.8 spc has changed that slightly for 270, but that has been a fairly recent development.)

Matt

mnhntr
December 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
I was not bashing the OP, it just amazes me someone would handicap themselves just to be different. As for the glorified varmint round comment, the 243 has everything the 257 does AND MORE. It is capable of everything the 257 is AND MORE.

morcey2
December 9, 2013, 04:06 PM
I was not bashing the OP, it just amazes me someone would handicap themselves just to be different.

So you're saying that if I'm using a 257 Bob, the bullets, if they happen to go straight which most of the obviously won't, that they'll bounce off everything from ground-squirrels to mule deer. If it shoots just as accurately, kills things just as dead, and is just as enjoyable to shoot plus being slightly more effective on larger game, what's the handicap?

As for the glorified varmint round comment, the 243 has everything the 257 does AND MORE. It is capable of everything the 257 is AND MORE.

There isn't enough of a difference between the two in actual function and effectiveness to really matter. The 257 has a slight edge on larger game, but that's it.

Matt

mnhntr
December 9, 2013, 04:23 PM
So you're saying that if I'm using a 257 Bob, the bullets, if they happen to go straight which most of the obviously won't, that they'll bounce off everything from ground-squirrels to mule deer. If it shoots just as accurately, kills things just as dead, and is just as enjoyable to shoot plus being slightly more effective on larger game, what's the handicap?

I didn't see where I said any of that. All I am saying is with more than double the choices in bullets selection, higher BC bullets and more readily available components you cannot argue it is a handicap by going 257bob.

There isn't enough of a difference between the two in actual function and effectiveness to really matter. The 257 has a slight edge on larger game, but that's it.

Loaded with identical bullets the bob gets the edge in energy and fps BARELY. Loaded with the best of the choices available the 243 will leave the 257 in the dust ESPECIALLY when talking about longer than 400yds.
If the 25s were so great then you would see more of them. The reason you do not is they do nothing better and cannot compete with the 6mms and 6.5mms on the range or in the field. I seriously looked at getting a 25-06 until I compared it to a .260rem and it was obvious the 260 was clearly better in every aspect. Same with the bob vs the 243. While I respect CraigC and the wisdom he normally provides in this forum we will definitely not agree on this topic. But hey That's why there are so many calibers. Too each his own I guess. I hope the OP finds his rifle and is happy with it.

jimmyraythomason
December 9, 2013, 04:39 PM
I hope the OP finds his rifle and is happy with it. Which is what this thread is about and not the .243 win OR the 25.06. I have a Savage/Stevens in .308 win(now) It was in .243(both sporter and heavy barrels) and began life as a .223 rem. IF I could find a reasonably priced barrel in .257 Roberts, that is how it would live out it's days.

DRYHUMOR
December 9, 2013, 05:17 PM
Of my 2 one is a M700 short action, the other is a M70 long action. Realistically; either action works fine, the Roberts is a hair shorter than the .308. And, even in a short action they can be loaded longer than SAAMI. I shoot a 115gr Berger VLD at 2.845 in the short action.

In looking at some of my load development targets, I've used IMR4831, IMR4350, RL19, and H414 for the most part. The Bob is pretty easy to load for, and is an accurate round.

Top is the Bob, middle is a Classic Compact .308, bottom is an XTR 30-06

http://dryhumor.smugmug.com/photos/i-jszt9TN/0/L/i-jszt9TN-L.jpg

DanTheFarmer
December 9, 2013, 05:36 PM
Here's an option. I bought a Savage in 250 Savage and had it rechambered for $100.00 to 257 Roberts. The dimensions of the two cartridges make the rechambering very straightforward.

By the way, the SAAMI specs for 257 Roberts qualify it as fitting in a short action (243 < 257 < 308) rifle. If you feel the need to load outside of spec you may want a long action.

I saw in an earlier post someone thought the 243 had more/better bullet selection. I don't load for the 243 but I do know I can get 25 caliber bullets in 60, 75, 85, 87, 100, 110, 115, 117, and 120 grains. Many of these weights have several manufacturers and in differing constructions. That seems like a good selection to me! There are probably some that I've overlooked but I'm happy with accurate loads in my rifle at 75, 87, 100, and 117 grains. That should do everything a 25 caliber bullet ought to.

Good Luck.

Dan

bpl
December 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
If I was going to try to hunt deer at over 400 yards (which I'm not) I don't think I would choose a .243 or a .257 Roberts. I really like the .257 Roberts. For me, its a light recoiling deer rifle that's just a little bit better than a .243. I own two rifles chambered in .243 but I prefer the .257 Roberts for deer. In the .257 Roberts, I own a Kimber 84M Classic Select, a Ruger 77 Ultralight and a Winchester M70 XTR. the M70 is NIB, never been shot and currently unscoped. The other two rifles are all set up and ready to go. The Kimber 84M is my favorite and what I would recommend to the OP. There is one on gunbroker currently. I shoot the Hornady 117gr BTSP and it shoots well in both the Kimber and the Ruger. Good luck with your search for your perfect Bob!

joed
December 9, 2013, 06:49 PM
I was not bashing the OP, it just amazes me someone would handicap themselves just to be different. As for the glorified varmint round comment, the 243 has everything the 257 does AND MORE. It is capable of everything the 257 is AND MORE.
Sometimes you just don't want to follow the pack, I understand the OP's obsession. My obsession is a .25-06, had it for 37 years.

Sooner or later you may come across a cartridge that you feel the same way about. It won't matter to you that it only has 5 bullets produced for it as long as one of the 5 does what you want.

What does the .257 have to offer that the .243 doesn't. For larger game there are people that would take the .257 with 120 gr bullet and consider the .243 totally inadequate for the task.

Remember, this is a hunting rifle. And there are some decent bullets out there for this caliber, just not a lot of them.

CraigC
December 9, 2013, 07:07 PM
It is capable of everything the 257 is AND MORE.
On what planet does this hold true? The .257 slings a slightly heavier, slightly larger diameter bullet at similar velocity.

...it just amazes me someone would handicap themselves just to be different.
Then it would baffle you to no end to know that some people even use archaic devices such as muzzleloaders, loaded with loose powder and a patched round ball for their hunting. Or bows and arrows. Some even use iron sights! Seriously, not everybody wants to use every available technological advantage. Some deliberately avoid them. Not everybody takes the easy road. Some folks actually like the added challenge. Some folks hate using what everybody else is using and this is why I abhor the .357Mag and .30-06. In this case, I don't see it as a disadvantage or limitation whatsoever. We just can't buy ammo at Walmart but we don't do that anyway.

headoftheholler
December 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
For me personally, I hunt with odd ball calibers 257 Bob and 6.5 swede for deer and 8mm for elk. All 3 were calibers I lusted after for their effectiveness and uniqueness. I've laid big deer down in their tracks with one shot from the 257 Rbts and the 6.5 swede, and the 8mm throws a 200 grain bullet faster than most lighter 30-06 loads when loaded right.
Everyone I know owns either a 30-06 or a 270 WCF , and though both great calibers (like the 243) they are all 3 terribly boring cartridges. Everybody owns one, all new rifles are chambered in them.

joed
December 9, 2013, 09:01 PM
It's kind of funny because last year at this time I decided I wanted a Winchester Featherweight. Caliber? I was open to just about anything. But, to be honest I get more use out of smaller cartridges than larger ones. The local store had a featherweight stainless in 7mm-08 and a blue version in .257 Roberts.

I passed on the Roberts only because I have a .25-06 and just didn't want to duplicate anything. I made them call their other store to see what they had in stock, turned out to be a stainless in .243 Win.

Never owning a .243 I opted for that one. I think the .243 is a fantastic cartridge. To be honest I'd have one of everything if I were rich enough.

Now, I'm wishing I'd picked up that .257 too. You guys could put me in the poor house.

mnhntr
December 9, 2013, 10:05 PM
Heavier and bigger does not mean better or everyone would shoot a 50BMG. The .243 with a dose of H4350 under a 115 VLD or a 117 Dtac VLD with BCs in the mid 500s carry enough energy and fps to achieve shots on speed goats at 800-1000 yds and there aint a 257bob load around that can do that.

morcey2
December 9, 2013, 10:47 PM
Heavier and bigger does not mean better or everyone would shoot a 50BMG. The .243 with a dose of H4350 under a 115 VLD or a 117 Dtac VLD with BCs in the mid 500s carry enough energy and fps to achieve shots on speed goats at 800-1000 yds and there aint a 257bob load around that can do that.
You keep talking up the off-the-shelf -- available-everywhere capabilities of the 243 and how it's so much better than the 257.....

And to prove it, you bring up a specialty bullet that won't stabilize in any off-the-shelf -- available-everywhere rifle because the rate of twist in the barrel won't stabilize it. On top of that, you're recommending it for 800-1000 yard shots where it's down to about 700 ft-lbs of energy? And that's assuming a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps, which is a little generous.

I don't think so.

Matt

jimmyraythomason
December 10, 2013, 10:14 AM
I fail to see what ANY of this .243 talk has to do with the OP wanting a .257 Bob.

Jim Watson
December 10, 2013, 10:48 AM
I am all for him, but he is going to have to do some serious shopping, this is not something found in every sporting goods store in the land.

As for the .243, its only advantage is a few more smarts in chamber design and a vigorous advertising campaign. The Roberts is still hamstrung by 1930s design conventions.

jimmyraythomason
December 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
The Roberts is still hamstrung by 1930s design conventions.
Yet it still kills deer just as dead.

Jim Watson
December 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
True. But if that was all you cared about, almost anything would do. If you want a little style, you have to put some thought into it.

hatt
December 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
True. But if that was all you cared about, almost anything would do. If you want a little style, you have to put some thought into it.
Are you saying the .243 has more "style" than the .257?

SC Shooter
December 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
I have been looking for a Ruger M77 Compact in a .257. I have the gun in a .223 but it is a little light for deer. One dealer said that he was getting more requests for the .257 and feels that the caliber is gaining in popularity. Hopefully we will start seeing more of it.

morcey2
December 10, 2013, 12:22 PM
It's significantly more likely that a custom hunting rifle will be chambered in 257 Bob than 243 Win. That may be the easiest way to get one. :) There's something about 257 Bob, 7x57 Mauser, and 6.5x55 Swede that makes people with style want a custom rifle built around them. ;)

One way to get one may be to buy a Savage 110/10 or Stevens 200 as a donor, then replace the barrel with one from E.R.Shaw, McGowen, Shilen, or any of a bunch of those that has already been chambered in 257 Roberts. That's what I plan on doing to get a 6.5-06.

Also, for mnhntr, one of my favorite rifles I ever got to shoot was a BLR chambered in 243. It was light and fit me very well. I borrowed it from my uncle for a couple of deer hunts, but all I got was a bunch of jackrabbits. I've been trying to talk my uncle out of it ever since, but to no avail.

Keep looking around, because they're out there.

Matt

mdauben
December 10, 2013, 12:29 PM
Really. Style is a very subjective matter and personally I'd give way more "style points" to someone hunting deer with a .257 Bob than someone with a dime-a-dozen .243 Winny. ;)

Jim Watson
December 10, 2013, 12:33 PM

No, the other way around. The .257 is the IT cartridge. With apologies to Clara Bow, the original IT Girl.

The .243 is just ugly, with the long shallow shoulder carried over from the parent .308.

tdoyka
December 10, 2013, 12:38 PM
i agree!!!

SwampWolf
December 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
If you stick with factory ammo, though, the Weatherby is significantly more expensive and has a lot more kick than the Roberts for slightly better ballistics.

While I have to agree that factory .257 Weatherby ammunition is "significantly more expensive" than the Roberts equivalent, I wouldn't say it has "a lot more kick". Certainly enough more to be noticable but not a lot. Of course, my opinion is predicated on the two rifles I own that use the cartridges in question and the .257 Weatherby is chambered in the heavier Vanguard (Howa) action, which may account for its relatively modest recoil as compared to the slightly lighter .257 Roberts rifle. Different stock fit too could be a contributing reason.
I would also argue that the factory loaded .257 Weatherby has significantly "better" ballistics when compared to .257 Roberts factory loads; an advantage, though, not especially relevant for hunting most deer-sized game at "normal" distances. If I had to choose between the two cartridges for the kind of hunting I do or ever expect to do, I'd opt for the Roberts.
Regarding choosing cartridge loadings based on their style/uniqueness, I confess to owning more than a couple of what many would dub "oddballs", including rifles chambered in .358 Winchester, 7x64 Brenneke, .22 Hornet, as well as the Roberts. I have plenty of other "mainstream" rifles to choose from if I'm ever worried about getting ammunition from Wal Mart to feed the oddballs. And, because I reload, I don't fret much.

CraigC
December 10, 2013, 02:07 PM
Heavier and bigger does not mean better or everyone would shoot a 50BMG.
Please, you're talking about the absolute minimum for deer. Anything bigger and heavier is better. The .257 can utilize a bullet 20% heavier AND stabilize it.

Energy is a meaningless number.

AABEN
December 10, 2013, 02:46 PM
You might look at a 243. Savage makes some very accurate gun's. The MD 12 is a good target gun and the hunter is a good carry gun. Good Luck on what ever you do.

TexasPatriot.308
December 10, 2013, 03:32 PM
If I wanted a .243, which I already own and don't care for, I would be looking for one.

NCsmitty
December 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
Take a look at GunsAmerica, they have quite a few used and new chambered in 257 Roberts.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm?T=257+Roberts

NCsmitty

Swampman
December 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
Back when I used to guide, about half of the hunters that I'd classify as incompetent or dangerous were carrying .243's.
I never saw a hunter with a Bob that fell into either category.

Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

gdcpony
December 10, 2013, 09:26 PM
I love the Bob! I also have a .243 that I picked up for a steal too. Which do I grab for about any hunt? The Bob. Why? It comes to the choice of 100gr bullets at a chrony'd 2700fps (.243 with Varget out of a 22" barrel) or 3250fps (.257 with H414 out of a 26" barrel). Both guns shoot about one MOA and kick the same too. So the real question is "Why not?"

Not to mention the feel of the Boyds thumbhole over a cheap synthetic, the throw of that old Mauser action vs the Savage, and the carefully worked trigger vs that dang Accu-crap one make there only one choice. The feel of a rifle you trust shooting a cartridge that has never failed you, can be the greatest shooting experience in the world.

I also like to be different. After all, I am doing an AR style .257Roberts as well.

Here is mine undergoing some work as I can't resist tinkering:
https://a2-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/120/98b6848d44034fc0a1d10f03b0c5de05/full.jpg

For the OP, I would look at getting a cheap action and having a barrel screwed on. Many "economy" rifles/actions are on the market and are made quite well and easy to rebarrel.

valnar
December 11, 2013, 09:03 AM
Both .243 and .25-06 are fairly overbore, so from a longevity standpoint I can't fault anyone for wanting a .257Roberts instead. I'm all about sizing the bullet for the cartridge right.

mdauben
December 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
I would also argue that the factory loaded .257 Weatherby has significantly "better" ballistics when compared to .257 Roberts factory loads; an advantage, though, not especially relevant for hunting most deer-sized game at "normal" distances. If I had to choose between the two cartridges for the kind of hunting I do or ever expect to do, I'd opt for the Roberts.

I guess "significantly" is another of those subjective words and the generally available +P loadings for the Bob narrow the difference, at least a little.

I have a liking for all the "quarter bores" and to for me they are just about ideal for deer size game. Of that group, there's no doubt that the Weatherby is the king, ballistically. But does that couple hundred feet per second, or that couple inches less drop, make a huge difference from a practical viewpoint for a deer hunter?

tdoyka
December 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
If I wanted a .243, which I already own and don't care for, I would be looking for one. texaspatriot

thats why we go with the 257 bob!

Saleen322
December 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
The 257 Roberts is still available around here. Folks like the short action weight, decent power and mild recoil. In fact they are so popular Grice gun shop actually had some special runs of Model 70s and Model 7s in a number of calibers including 257 with great looking maple stocks. Grice always has some on stock. Below is a link to their most recent flyer that may give you some ideas. I think one of the special run 257s is on page 2. Hope this helps.

http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/grice_low_res_9d624641324abe?e=2287058/5362623

Arkansas Paul
December 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
I didn't read all responses so this may have been suggested. If Ruger is currently producing it, I bet WalMart could order it for you. My brother had a rifle ordered that they did not currently stock. Good price. It came in in about 2 weeks IIRC.

Hanshi
December 11, 2013, 06:39 PM
I don't know about all the others but my limited edition 700 Classic is a fine .257R. I've had it a long time and won't let it go. It is so much better than most other rounds in this all around category.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt74/hanshi_photo/97ba1b8a-8713-4e0f-8ba8-6cfc1e7df69a_zpsa33e15f7.jpg (http://s599.photobucket.com/user/hanshi_photo/media/97ba1b8a-8713-4e0f-8ba8-6cfc1e7df69a_zpsa33e15f7.jpg.html)

Dr T
December 12, 2013, 06:01 PM
On Cabelas: Use the Gun Library to buy it online and have it shipped to you locally.

In the North Metro Denver store in the last several months I have seen three very tempting 257 Roberts:

A Mannlicher-Schoenauer with full length stock and dual triggers for about $1100 and two Ruger No. 1-B's for, as I recall, $695 each.

Just sayin'. And for the Southwest Central Texas I hunt, it is just about right.

TIMC
December 12, 2013, 07:02 PM
There is one on Texasguntrader.com in Bryan.
http://www.texasguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=478401

Stophel
December 12, 2013, 08:08 PM
Ooh, a Mannlicher-Schoenauer .257 would be SWEET. That price isn't bad, either, given the going rates (though for me, at this time, $1100 might as well be $11,000...). I wouldn't mind pairing up that .257 with my .243 MS!

Palehorseman
December 12, 2013, 10:43 PM
Saw a Remington BDL 700 lefty in .257 Ackley improved with scope advertised in the Thrifty Nickel for 500 bucks, seller said it is like new.

TexasPatriot.308
December 13, 2013, 01:50 AM
.257 Ackley Improved....hmmmmm....couldn't find the ammo at Walmart....don't sound like something I need.

NCsmitty
December 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
.257 Ackley Improved....hmmmmm....couldn't find the ammo at Walmart....don't sound like something I need.

You can fire standard 257 Roberts ammo in a 257 Ackley Improved chamber and the brass will fireform to the chamber dimensions. You do need the proper dies to reload the Ackley Improved brass which can run approximately 100 FPS less than a 25-06 using the same bullet.

If you do not reload, then indeed, you do not need a 257 Ackley Improved.

NCsmitty

SwampWolf
December 13, 2013, 09:07 PM
But does that couple hundred feet per second, or that couple inches less drop, make a huge difference from a practical viewpoint for a deer hunter?

Question already answered:

Swampman
December 14, 2013, 05:25 AM
I never see regular .257 Bob at OUR WalMart! :banghead:

While some might consider "improving" the .257 Bob to be akin to getting a gold medal bronzed, I really love mine.

It's built on a SAKO L579 action with a Douglas super premium barrel, Fajen hand checkered stock and Canjar "push to set" trigger (4 ounces set, 2.5 lbs unset). When I got it, it had a nice Leupold VX III, 1.5 x 5 scope on it that listed new at that time for $345.00.

The best part is that since it was a "Wildcat" caliber, no one seemed to want it and it had been in the store quite a while. I got the whole package for less than $600 (this was quite a few years back). That price included scope, hand tooled Bucheimer sling, dies and 100 cases.

My point is, that haunting your local gunstores and pawn shops can be very rewarding, it may take a while, but the payoffs can be great
I probably wouldn't have spent any extra money for an Ackley Improved chamber back then, but since it made the rifle cheaper, it was a no-brainer for me.

Now that I know the caliber is capable of shooting into less than a quarter inch with 100 grain Nosler Partitions at 3287 fps muzzle velocity from a 23 inch barrel, I LOVE my .257 Roberts Ackley Improved and would never willingly part with it.

Just remember that the money you spend on a custom "Wildcat" isn't likely to be recouped if you ever decide to sell it, unless you're selling to friends or acquaintances who've seen what the rifle is capable of.

Despite the fact that factory ammunition can be fired in the improved chamber, I wouldn't try to get one unless you intend to reload.
The extra room in the chamber drops the velocity of standard ammo a lot. IIRC, muzzle velocity with 117 grain Winchester +P loads was just a little over 2500 fps.

GooseGestapo
December 14, 2013, 06:15 AM
Having owned a "Bob" for thirty years, (custom M98 Mauser w/E.R.Shaw bbl), and having shot it side-by-side with .243's, I'll take the "Bob" over the .243, any day! (I've used/owned a couple of other "bobs", too. A friends Ruger No.1, and a Ruger M77MkII). I also own a Weatherby .257mag...

I've owned several .243's. The last deer I shot was with a .243, (Dec.12) only because I'd picked it up on a whim last Jan. with gift cards from Academy Sports recieved from my family as "stocking stuffers". It's a Savage Axis and with 65gr Horndy v-max gets 1/2moa @ 3,660fps, and /w 100gr Sierra's, 2/3"moa 5-shots). I "wanted" a .243 because I had several hundred bullets and cases on hand from range pick-ups and bargain shelves.......
The rifle is a "beater" imo, and is what (this year) sits in the kitchen... doe was shot out my kitchen window at ~140yds....
(btw, the PrviPartisan 100gr Spts are good... if you trim the meplats).

But, back to the "Bob"...
The .243 seems better on "paper" but in the field, the larger bore of the .257 and better construction of the bullets, makes it a more reliable performer on big game.
Good grief, at how many deer I looked for in an attempt to retrieve "evidence" of deer shot/poached, and lost, with a .243. (back in the late '70's and early '80's, the Rem. 742 in .243 was the 'night hunters gun of choice'.. (The problem with the .243 is bullet performance... blow ups at under ~50yds, and failure to expand at over 250yds).

On the evening I had a chance to compare them side-by-side, a co-worker and I were "culling" deer on an airport where they had become so populated as to be a hazard to aircraft. Because it was inside the city limits of a municipality with an ordnance agaisnt discharging firearms, the only recourse was to have state game 'n fish personnel do the "culling" due to a provision in the city ordinance.

My co-worker had/used a Rem. M788 (state owned and purchased ammo) and I had my .257.
Longest shot was 378yds, later checked by survey grade stakes where hill-side was being cleared. Shortest was ~40yds.
He was using 80gr Remington factory @~3,300fps and I was using 75gr Hornady handloads at a chrono'd 3,500fps (max load of H414).
The .257 was at NO ballistic disadvantage. No bullets were recovered. (amazing, except that no shots under 150yds were body shots....head shots). Even the 378yd shot (mine) was a spine hit that completely penetrated broadside. And 75gr Hornady HP is supposedly a "varmint" bullet.. (our varmints run ~120lbs....;)

The .257 exhibited a noticeably louder "ka-whap" on impact than the .243. Even my co-worker was amazed at the difference. Both of us were sighted in for ~250yds, so out to max distance we could see to shoot and/or make a reliable "hit", there was no advantage either way. Point and click...
But the number of deer that went down "right there" was much to the .257's advantage. None were lost with the "Bob"; two "got away" from the .243, though were found the next day by the buzzards.

The "Bob" has always been hampered with medicocre or worse factory ammo. Only the Hornady with 100gr and 117gr bullets, and the Federal +P 120gr Nosler Partiton'ed "Premium" (what a joke... still "mild" loads) came close to tapping the "Bobs" potential.
A good friend had/has a .25/06. My handloads with 120gr Sierra's chrono's exactly the same as his .25/06, only I'm using 5.0gr LESS powder.... And, I've got a 22"bbl to his 24"... But then again, he's got an "Interarms" MkX, and mine is an E.R.Shaw bbl...

BTW; There IS a reason that the 117gr Hornady RN "Interlok" is still loaded in factory .257WbyMag ammo. Out to 300yds, the trajectory is "no issue" and the bullet is superlative on game... I've got several hundred that I picked up covered in dust at an 'old timey' gun shop and here and there. Most were under $8/box..... I'll probably never use up all the 100gr Hornady PtSpt and 117gr RN Spts' in .257" I've got in my lifetime. Especially if I keep "playing" with such as the .243, and .223, .22-250, .375Ruger, .338MX, ect, ect.

LAGS
December 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
If you guys like the .257 Roberts, and you handload, then try shooting a .257 Roberts "Improved".
It takes the round to a whole new level, and you can still fire the standard 257 Roberts in the gun if you don't want or need that extra power.
A friend bought his wife a .257 Roberts, and he got it rechambered to the Improved.
His wife could use it for Deer with .257 Roberts and a Mild Kick, and He could use the same rifle shooting the Improved rounds, and not feel like he was shooting a Ladies Gun.

Eb1
December 15, 2013, 12:52 AM
His wife could use it for Deer with .257 Roberts and a Mild Kick, and He could use the same rifle shooting the Improved rounds, and not feel like he was shooting a Ladies Gun.

That sounds ridiculous.

Palehorseman
December 15, 2013, 03:28 AM
That sounds ridiculous.
To you maybe, but to each their own.

Southside830
December 15, 2013, 05:02 AM
My dad hunts with a .257 Roberts. Its a Remington 700 Mountain rifle. That gun has taken countless Texas whitetails. He loves it.

morcey2
December 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
My dad hunts with a .257 Roberts. Its a Remington 700 Mountain rifle. That gun has taken countless Texas whitetails. He loves it.
That makes no sense! There are no mountains in Texas to justify the use of a "Mountain" rifle. :) ;) :neener:

LAGS
December 15, 2013, 11:00 AM
@ EB1
I agree in a way,
But that was years ago, and they were a Young Couple just starting out and could only afford one rifle at the time.
They also had a .357 Ruger that she could shoot .38's that didn't scare her and he could shoot the .357's.
Sometimes in life you just have to make compromises to fit your situation.

Eb1
December 15, 2013, 11:24 AM
and not feel like he was shooting a Ladies Gun.

I was referring to this part of the comment. Why would you feel a .257 Roberts is a ladies gun?
Sounds like someone who calls Sportsters a ladies motorcycle. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I am man, I must shoot the bigger and ride the bigger. I just don't understand. Guess it is a generation gap. I mean my wife has done more than most mean I know. Why would I make a comment about something being a ladies rifle. Maybe if it was pink, but then again in these days, who knows.

LAGS
December 15, 2013, 02:33 PM
@ EB1
The Old School Hunters liked the -06 and 270's so the lighter calibers with less recoil were often used primarily by the ladies and kids.
But the .257 is far from an Underpowered rifle, and with the flat shooting abilities, it will hold its own with the Big Boys rifles at reasonable ranges.

nathan
December 15, 2013, 03:27 PM
I heard about the 257 Roberts but i have my 2506. It shoots very tiny groups with handloads

If you enjoyed reading about "Where are the .257 Roberts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!