20 or 30 round magazines for defense?

PDA

monotonous_iterancy
December 9, 2013, 06:25 PM
I've been considering getting a 20 round P-mag to house a box of pointed soft points that I have lying around. I don't hunt, but I thought that it might be useful to have on hand in case of a home invasion or on the extremely small chance I'd have to defend myself.

Would it make more sense to get another 30 round magazine? 20 rounds is a lot, and 20 round mags are a bit handier, and hold the exact number of rounds that I have. Besides, I doubt 10 extra rounds would make the difference between life or death. But still...

If you enjoyed reading about "20 or 30 round magazines for defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ratt_finkel
December 9, 2013, 06:33 PM
Why not a ten rounder? Are you really planning on shooting someone more than 10 times? (devils advocate here)

docsleepy
December 9, 2013, 06:39 PM
I like 20 round magazines. They say the police only hit one assailant for every 7 rounds they fire, and I'm an AMATEUR.

M1key
December 9, 2013, 06:46 PM
Twenties for me, thirties for the wife (she's not quite as good a shot as me.) :rolleyes:

Seriously, unless you live in the boonies, ten or twenty rounders (have a few on hand) are probably all you need. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have a handful of thirties, though. Better to have them and not need them, etc....

M

Hometeached1
December 9, 2013, 06:47 PM
^^^^ I agree.

If you got 20 rounders use them. I would not feel defenseless with them, but 30rds would not be bad either.

osteodoc08
December 9, 2013, 06:48 PM
I've got a 20 round mag in my P226 with another one next to it in the nightstand......

Just sayin.

CraigC
December 9, 2013, 06:50 PM
I like the 20's and use more of them than the 30's.

cfullgraf
December 9, 2013, 06:55 PM
For home defense, I like 20 round magazines as they are handier than the thirty round magazine.

But, I have my share of 30 round magazines just in case.

Most of the shooting I do with an AR is done with five and ten round magazines.

dprice3844444
December 9, 2013, 06:58 PM
depends on the weapon,if it's an ar,30 or larger.you may not have a chance to grab extra ammo using 20's,depending on the situation.
i have 1 ar with a double clamped 30's in the mag well and a blackhawk buttstock mag pouch.gives me 90 rounds in an emergency situation.may never need it,but i am not going to get caught short.this also depends on what parts of the country you live in also.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/magazine-storage-pouches/ar-15-buttstock-magazine-pouch-prod23180.aspx

Robert
December 9, 2013, 07:04 PM
All I have is 30 round mags for my AR. Well no, I have some 48 round mags I use in competition but they stay in my bag. So I'd use the 30 rounds mags if I had to.

Tejicano Loco
December 9, 2013, 07:05 PM
Why not a ten rounder? Are you really planning on shooting someone more than 10 times? (devils advocate here)

I dunno, how many of them are there going to be? In the one near home invasion I ran off there were 5 of them. I have no idea how many will be in the next one, should it happen.

For my primary HD long arm I have two 10 round magazines ready - but that is an MKA-1919 semi-auto 12 gauge.

jmr40
December 9, 2013, 07:06 PM
I prefer 20 round mags for my AR. If I knew I were going into combat and resupply might be a long time off it would be different. But for range or HD 20 is enough and makes for a more compact weapon.

strambo
December 9, 2013, 07:17 PM
I heard the 20rd Pmags weren't as reliable as the 30s. I have a few 20's (no issues with them, but I don't use them much), nearly 50 30s, Pmags and GI aluminum with Magpul followers. I would use which ever magazines are proven reliable for you between 20 or 30s. You likely won't need the extra 10 rds...but you do need whichever rounds you end up firing to all feed reliably!

Now that magazines are sanely priced again, stock up! I typically pay under $10 ea. for GI mags with Magpul followers. $9-$12 for Pmags. I've never paid the silly $40-$50 per during a panic, may sell some next time.

back40
December 9, 2013, 07:25 PM
i keep a colt 20rd handy loaded with self defense rounds. i also have a bandoleer hung nearby with 3 30rd mags, just incase i hear any mention of "brains" while they're trying to enter.;)

Jenrick
December 9, 2013, 07:51 PM
20's work very well if you don't spend a lot of time with the rifle. They reload and manipulate much more like oversized pistol mags, then a curved 30 round rifle mag. They make traditional "conventional" positional shooting easier as well.

On the other hand it's 10 less rounds. Your call.

-Jenrick

wally
December 9, 2013, 08:05 PM
Haven't there been reliability issues with Pmag 20 rounders?

I like 20s when shooting prone or off a bench, but mostly I shoot with 30s so those are what I'd trust the most.

mokin
December 9, 2013, 08:14 PM
Buy a couple and try them out. Slightly lighter weight and a little more compact, I really liked them when I had a 5.56 rifle. Search the 'webz for carbine scenarios and work yourself and the rifle with both. If nothing else it will be a lot of fun.

rondog
December 9, 2013, 08:49 PM
You just cannot adequately defend yourself unless you have three 30-round mags duct taped together for tactical combat reloading!

Eh, who am I kidding.....my AR and mags stay locked up, I keep an M1 carbine handy for social situations. With one 15 rd. mag in the well and two more in the stock pouch. If that ain't enough, I guess I'm toast.

rcmodel
December 9, 2013, 08:57 PM
20's for me!!

Much handier length to clear around door frames and go flat on the floor if necessary.

And if I can't do it with 20 rounds?
10 more will make absolutely no difference, except slow me down or make noise when it gets hung up on something in the house..

I reserve the 30-round mags for when I see on the TV news the Zombies are just down the street and coming around the corner.

rc

ole farmerbuck
December 9, 2013, 09:01 PM
20's for me too. Especially in the pickup seat riding with AR's riding next to each other.

Walkalong
December 9, 2013, 09:04 PM
Haven't there been reliability issues with Pmag 20 rounders?Generation 2 mags had a bit of a bad rep, and mine tended to misfeed on occasion. So far the newer Generation 3 20 rounders seem good to go. Mine have been great so far, in limited use.

I have 20 round GI style mags (Yes, plural) ready with my AR for home defense.

I use mostly 10 and 20 round mags at the range, but use 30s as well at times.

Don357
December 9, 2013, 09:20 PM
For my HD rifle, I only have a 7+1 set up. It's a Winnie '94 .30/30. However, she has lots of 9mm company as well as a few .45 friends.

fallout mike
December 9, 2013, 09:23 PM
I use 20 & 30 rounders. I prefer 20's.

HOOfan_1
December 9, 2013, 09:44 PM

You can always choose to stop shooting when the threat is neutralized...you can't "decide" you need more ammo than you brought

HammsBeer
December 9, 2013, 09:58 PM
For bench or prone shooting, 20 round USGI or 10 round Pmags.

For social work, 30 round USGI or PMags. If you fire off the entire mag, things have gone very bad and they won't pause while you fetch another mag. Nobody in a gunfight ever said "Why did I bring all this ammo?".

OilyPablo
December 9, 2013, 10:14 PM
All I have are 30 rounders for my 5.56x45 rig. Ditto my AK, but I have some 40 round mags as well.

For my 6.8SPCII I have some 10's, 20's and 25's.

RMC51
December 9, 2013, 10:25 PM
Bring as much with you as you can.

Magpul 2gen 30rds two of them. (Brownells on sale $10.79)
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-pmag-gen-m2-moe-magazine-prod24192.aspx

Couple them with Magpul Maglink
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG595/101
Brownells has them in stock ($17.05)
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_100009583_5..jpg

If you want to get way out there. Magpul now has a 40rd
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG233/PMAG

Not sure who has them in stock right now, The people I know are buying them up.
This was Magpul's answer to Washington's 30 rd magazine ban. got to love those guys at Magpul

sappyg
December 9, 2013, 10:32 PM
I've casually been looking for some 20's but I seem to make do with the 30's. 30's are everywhere and cheap too. 20's not so much, at least in my neck of the woods.

You can always store 20 rounds in a 30 mag and no one need to be the wiser. Normally I down load mine with 28 rounds. It's easier to insert with a closed bolt.

Is it the same for 20 round mags?

Fiv3r
December 9, 2013, 10:40 PM
I keep a 20 rounder in my ar when I camp. Easier to get in and out of the truck, but I always bring a couple 30s with me. For HD I see no reason why a 20 with a 30 backup wouldnt work.

Manny
December 9, 2013, 10:41 PM
All I have are 20's as I don't like how far the 30's hang down. To my mind they introduce an element of "unhandiness" to a rifle. As always, YMMV.

WVRJ
December 9, 2013, 11:24 PM
I keep a few 30's loaded with 25 rounds to save the springs.They are all in a vest ready to go when needed.Don't know if it's right,but it's how I do it.

justice06rr
December 10, 2013, 12:10 AM
I don't see why there's anything wrong with having more ammo capacity in a magazine.

If you can have 30, why have only 20?

All my regular AR mags are 30 rounders. I do have a couple of 20rd Pmags, but those are reserved for bench shooting only.

monotonous_iterancy
December 10, 2013, 12:19 AM
In the one near home invasion I ran off there were 5 of them.

This sounds like a very interesting story. What were the circumstances? Was it in a bad neighborhood? A suburb?

I have 20 round GI style mags (Yes, plural) ready with my AR for home defense.

Jungle style? Couldn't that come across bad?

I keep a few 30's loaded with 25 rounds to save the springs.

I've read that that is unnecessary. Manufacturers know that people keep loaded mags for defense, so it's fine to keep them fully loaded. What actually wears them out is being compressed over and over again.

Lucky Derby
December 10, 2013, 08:14 AM
The only AR mags I keep loaded are three GI 20s. 30s suck if you have to go prone, and 20s stash so much easier in a pocket.

Walkalong
December 10, 2013, 09:10 AM
Jungle style? Couldn't that come across bad?What?

I have one in the gun, and two laying on the shelf to grab. :confused:

hatt
December 10, 2013, 09:56 AM
I've been considering getting a 20 round P-mag to house a box of pointed soft points that I have lying around.
That's a bad idea unless I read that wrong. You want to prove your defensive mags and ammo.

20 or 30 really doesn't matter. As long as they're reliable who cares. I keep an old Colt/UI 20 in mine because it's a little more compact, or just because I like them for some reason, maybe apparent quality, couldn't say for sure. Spares are 30. Figure if I'm needed spares things have went totally haywire.

oldpapps
December 10, 2013, 11:26 AM
Two questions for you/the shooter.

How many assailants do you anticipate?

How many rounds will each assailant require to neutralize?

Take both numbers and multiply, then double or triple. In the chaos, there will not be enough or way too many. Your choice.

I saw an entry about the number of rounds used by police. My view is this is an invalid comparison. 40 and more years ago, maybe. Most of the new kids coming on a department are full of college theory and few know anything about any weapons. (For what it's worth - I was an FBI trained Firearms Instructor and saw all kinds.)

monotonous_iterancy
December 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
What?

I have one in the gun, and two laying on the shelf to grab.

Oh..I guess I read you saying you keep several (plural), and I jumped to conclusions, lol.

hatt
December 10, 2013, 12:44 PM
Oh..I guess I read you saying you keep several (plural), and I jumped to conclusions, lol.
What would "come across bad" with jungle style? If you're worried about that you probably shouldn't be using a "military quality assault rifle with high capacity clip."

mavracer
December 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
I have 30 rounders for shooting 3 Gun and the like and 20s for bench rest and other shooting. I have the 30s ready for SHTF but for HD I just keep a M1 Carbine with one 15 round mag in it and two more in the stock pouch.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
Typically, I want as many rounds as I can carry without it being a hassle - which due to length is usually 30rds. Occasionally when shooting from the bench or trying to keep the SBR compact, a 20rd magazine.

For home defense, I don't really see the advantage in a 20rd. Most of us aren't going to go prone with a bad guy 15yds away inside our home since it limits your view and your mobility and even someone morbidly obese could cover that distance in a few seconds.

ny32182
December 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
I doubt anyone has ever finished up a gunfight thinking, "damn, I wish I hadn't brought all this extra ammo".

tuj
December 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
30's here. I use 5 and 10 rounders for the bench. Not sure if I even have any 20's...

Swampman
December 10, 2013, 09:25 PM
30 rounds would make my 870 WAY too long!

I think I'll stick with 8... :)

moxie
December 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
For home defense a 20 rounder in the gun. As others have noted, it's lighter, handier, and easier to shoot prone or off of other horizontal surfaces. And I'm just used to carrying the 20 rounder, having done so off and on for years.

I keep several 30 rounders in pouches for reloads. If you get past the original 20, you need all the ammo you can get.

The 10 rounder is nice and I really like it at the range, but 10 ain't enough in an AR for defense. So the 20 lives in the gun. It seems to be the best balance between size, weight, handling and firepower.

hatt
December 11, 2013, 08:49 AM
I don't see why there's anything wrong with having more ammo capacity in a magazine.

If you can have 30, why have only 20?

All my regular AR mags are 30 rounders. I do have a couple of 20rd Pmags, but those are reserved for bench shooting only.
If you can have 40 why have 30?

Art Eatman
December 11, 2013, 10:18 AM
If you actually need more than one 20 round mag in a defensive encounter, odds are you're short of folks on your side, not mags.

I can see where a rancher on the Mexican border might need a car load, but otherwise, the real world is a problem inside (most likely) fifty or less yards--and very few hostile people.

Byron
December 11, 2013, 10:19 AM
Home defense,5 or 10 round magazines are plenty.High Cap are for offense.Some have questioned their accuracy ability and seem to make up for it with more rounds. Where are those missed rounds going? In a home situation,the range will be maybe 20 feet.Practice at the most then at maybe 30 feet. The spray and pray method is not effective. In combat,all the ammo one can carry is essential.I am not in that situation.

meanmrmustard
December 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
30 rounders.

Never heard of a firefight survivor say " I wish I'd have brought less ammo".

Byron
December 11, 2013, 10:37 AM
Mustard, A firefight demands maximum amount of ammunition where a home defense does not require that volume. When I was 20 and in Nam(68) I carried all I could. Our mags were 20 round mags which were loaded with 18 rounds each. Loaded mags and loose rounds came to about 800+ rounds of M193 in addition to other ordinance.i was blessed with an incrdible CO who made it clear the 16 would not be on full due to waste

hatt
December 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
I feel pretty well protected if I have my S&W model 19 close by. Or Glock 32 with 14 rounds. A carbine with a 20 round mag is on another level, and something I'm likely not going to have my hands on if trouble were to find me.

mgkdrgn
December 11, 2013, 10:51 AM
the only time you have too much ammo is when it is weighing you down at the bottom of a body of water

meanmrmustard
December 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
Mustard, A firefight demands maximum amount of ammunition where a home defense does not require that volume. When I was 20 and in Nam(68) I carried all I could. Our mags were 20 round mags which were loaded with 18 rounds each. Loaded mags and loose rounds came to about 800+ rounds of M193 in addition to other ordinance.i was blessed with an incrdible CO who made it clear the 16 would not be on full due to waste
Are you assuming one enemy? What if they've brought buddies?

Home defense doesn't happen as we think it will. While your Nam experience is appreciated, I don't think you've a way to accurately tell the nature of a break in, how many combatants, or if your target has a barrier between you and them IN the home.

I err on the side of being over prepared. However, since my HD rifle was not only shipped with a 30 round mag, but was designed to use it, its actually not over prepared at all is it?

Byron
December 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
Mustard,your point is understood. I doubt in my town I will experience the scenario you described. I hope no one does.

meanmrmustard
December 11, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mustard,your point is understood. I doubt in my town I will experience the scenario you described. I hope no one does.
Well, I doubt I will either, but that's the problem; I don't know.

But, my AKM and AR run 30s, so I stick with what works.

mdauben
December 11, 2013, 11:30 AM
I doubt 10 extra rounds would make the difference between life or death. But still...
Has anyone who had to use a gun in a self-defence situation ever said "Darn! I have too much ammo"? :rolleyes:

Byron
December 11, 2013, 01:20 PM
mdauben,excluding that tour in Nam; we were living in the mountains of N GA and two tried to break in.I had a Glock 9MM and held them until the County Dputy got there and turned them over to him.I would have been in my rights to have shot but since they quickly complied,I saw no reason to.

breakingcontact
December 11, 2013, 01:28 PM
I dont find 30 to get in the way unless im shooting from the bench or low prone.

monotonous_iterancy
December 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
Well here's the thing, I don't plan on buying more soft-points, and 20 is an exact number. Also, wouldn't it be easier to maneuver and shoot from cover without the extra space? If you were really home invaded, you wouldn't be shooting out in the open would you?

ugaarguy
December 11, 2013, 02:41 PM
Regardless of if you go with a 20 rd or 30 rd I'd give the Lancer Systems L5 AWM mags some serious consideration. These are what I've switched to for my HD spares since they don't need a cover to keep pressure off the feed lips like PMags. The steel feed lip / polymer body hybrid construction gives you the best of both worlds, IMO.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
Also, wouldn't it be easier to maneuver and shoot from cover without the extra space?

Well, you should give it a try with barriers, movement, etc and see what you think. Personally, I haven't had that experience.

jim in Anchorage
December 11, 2013, 05:17 PM
after reading this thread I feel as helpless as a babe in the woods with my 5 shot pump 12 ga HD shotgun.

meanmrmustard
December 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
after reading this thread I feel as helpless as a babe in the woods with my 5 shot pump 12 ga HD shotgun.
Considering the topic is between 20 or 30 round magazines...

Walkalong
December 11, 2013, 05:54 PM
Regardless of if you go with a 20 rd or 30 rd I'd give the Lancer Systems L5 AWM mags some serious consideration. These are what I've switched to for my HD spares since they don't need a cover to keep pressure off the feed lips like PMags. The steel feed lip / polymer body hybrid construction gives you the best of both worlds, IMO.
I have these in both 20 and 30 round configuration, black, FDE, and semi transparent, and I agree, really nice mags. Nice enough that when PSA put them on sale I bought a ten pack to put away for a rainy day.

I imagine that of those who like 20 rounders, and of those that like 30 rounders, not many are going to switch, but it is a good discussion for folks new to the game.

ugaarguy
December 11, 2013, 07:05 PM
I still have plenty of PMags around too. I'm just buying Lancers now when I buy a mag here and there. I think we're all fortunate that AR-15 pattern rifles are so common, and mags in such demand. Because of this the manufacturers can scale up production and we have two superb choices (PMags and L5 AWMs) readily available for $15 or less.

atomd
December 11, 2013, 07:41 PM
I'm going to get some of those lancers and give them a try. I haven't tried that exact model yet but I know lancer knows how to make a good magazine. I have to say that I have very few magazine problems since so many companies make really good mags.

No4Mk1*
December 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
20-30 your decision. I chose 30.

The real problem is you are going to depend on a magazine / ammo combination that is unproven in your rifle. You would be better served by loading whatever you normally shoot as that is proven to feed in your rifle. M193\855 for me.

DeMilled
December 11, 2013, 08:17 PM
Would it make more sense to get another 30 round magazine? 20 rounds is a lot, and 20 round mags are a bit handier, and hold the exact number of rounds that I have. Besides, I doubt 10 extra rounds would make the difference between life or death. But still...

As an aside; if you have soo few magazines on hand that you need to ask this question you may want to buy more magazines anyway.

Now, if you were to say "I have 20 rounds of soft point ammo, should I put them in a dedicated magazine that is different from my range magazines?"

I like the idea of a magazine that is full of your defensive bullets and is easy to identify at just a glance. Makes things simple when you may be reaching for that magazine under stress and in the middle of the night.

My vote: Get a 30 rounder that is different from your range/hunting mags and buy more soft point ammo.

lpsharp88
December 11, 2013, 08:18 PM
I keep a 30 rounder loaded with 20 rounds of Federal Fusion MSR 62gr soft points

DeMilled
December 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
20-30 your decision. I chose 30.

The real problem is you are going to depend on a magazine / ammo combination that is unproven in your rifle. You would be better served by loading whatever you normally shoot as that is proven to feed in your rifle. M193\855 for me.

Rifle, pistol, shotgun...whatever you choose it's smart to run said ammo through your gun to make sure it will eat it.

I have a SAIGA-12 and I didn't trust it until I had run my defensive shotgun ammo through it and that's talking about a Russian shot gun here folks.

Those soft points of his should be just fine but always verify by running some through the gun first.
No need to step away from those soft points, just make sure your rifle runs them...

benEzra
December 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
I have read that the curved 30-round magazines are somewhat more reliable than the straight 20's. I've never had any failures with either size, though.

With an AR, a loaded 20-round magazine doesn't save you much weight over a 30-round magazine, and the length difference isn't huge (a 20-round PMAG is shorter than the handgrip, so there's less difference in shooting prone than the length difference would suggest).

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129320&stc=1&d=1287541080

The difference in weight between a loaded 20-rounder and 20 rounds in a 30-rounder is even smaller.

Well, you do shoot 8 to 18 projectiles with each of those 5 pulls of the trigger (assuming 00 buckshot), so that's between 40 and 90 projectiles in the magazine, if you want to look at it that way. An AR just allows you to deliver 20 or 30 similar sized projectiles very precisely one at a time, at velocity high enough to cause fragmentation, in a platform that doesn't kick much.

Dr.Rob
December 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
I have a couple 20rd mags within easy reach of my rifle. Colt factory mags.

I have some 30's loaded up in a mag carrier because I didn't shoot the last match. Normally I just keep the 20's loaded.

Walkalong
December 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
There are stories on forums out there about the 20 round straight G2 P Mags have been talked about as having feed problems. I know my two would occasionally misfeed.

The G3 20 round P Mag is slightly longer and has a slight curve. Time will tell what rep they get. I bought a couple to try out.

I have never had a problem with the curved GI style 20 round mags, or the 30 round G2 P Mag.

hatt
December 11, 2013, 09:42 PM
I have some of the early(08) 20 round pmags. They feed fine only problem is they don't reliably hold the bolt open. Old Colt/UI 20s run like a sewing machine.

goon
December 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
Some prefer 20's because they allow a rifle to be loaded with an empty chamber and still fit in a locked cabinet or safe.

Do what your instincts tell you I guess.

FWIW, I like the Lancer 20's or something else other than an early generation PMAG. I like the PMAG 30's in any generation (especially GEN III) but the 20's are said to have had some reliability issues. So do some research before you buy anything.

Dr.Rob
December 12, 2013, 01:08 AM
PS M193 is pretty darn good at short range. I have some Winchester softpoints I keep handy but Prvi M193 is my back up magazine.

tactikel
December 12, 2013, 02:12 AM
Let's see, the mag is the same price, or under $1. The ammo which is rotated out, so the "cost" is zero. Why not have 30 rounds. The only time you can defend yourself is if you or a loved one is in mortal danger, is $1 gonna break the Bank? Better too much, than too little.

mdauben
December 12, 2013, 11:15 AM
You obviously need to upgrade before its too late! :D

http://www.gunandguy.net/images/catalog_images/1373701199.jpg

hatt
December 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Let's see, the mag is the same price, or under $1. The ammo which is rotated out, so the "cost" is zero. Why not have 30 rounds. The only time you can defend yourself is if you or a loved one is in mortal danger, is $1 gonna break the Bank? Better too much, than too little.
Cost isn't the issue. 20s are more than 30s.

Do you have extended mags in your handguns? And why not have 40 rounds in your AR? Maybe 60s or 100s?

benEzra
December 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
Cost isn't the issue. 20s are more than 30s.

Do you have extended mags in your handguns? And why not have 40 rounds in your AR? Maybe 60s or 100s?

With any gun of a particular size in a particular caliber, there is a "sweet spot" where adding more capacity starts hindering usability, but reducing capacity doesn't gain you a whole lot more usability. For full-sized 9mm pistols, that number appears to be between 15 and 20; for the AR platform, most people consider that number to be about 30. 40's and 60's (never mind 100-round C-mags) start to impair usability without adding a lot of utility in most situations, but going down to 20 doesn't gain you much in terms of weight savings or ability to get low.

For a 7.62x39mm AK, though, I really like 20's, which are about the same size as an AR 30-rounder.

moxie
December 14, 2013, 03:10 PM
I think going down to 20 greatly improves your ability to get low. That 2" makes a huge difference when you're being shot at. Some say the 30 makes a good monopod. I don't like it at all for that. As I noted above, my first mag is a 20 and all the reloads are 30s.

fragout
December 14, 2013, 05:01 PM
Not using an AR15 here, but I prefer 20rd M14 mags for the purpose described by the OP....... even though CMI makes quality 25rd mags for this type of rifle.

Recently picked up a Ruger SR762, and the rifle sold with 3 20rd mags, but I understand that there is a 25rd P-mag out there now.

As with the M14, I don't plan to pick any up.

If anything, I like to have a few 10rd mags handy, but more for hunting vs any type of defensive use.

Robbins290
December 14, 2013, 10:06 PM
30 rounder of frangiable ammo inside my house, daughters room is next to ours.

Bartholomew Roberts
December 15, 2013, 05:51 AM
I think going down to 20 greatly improves your ability to get low.

Putting aside the wisdom of going prone in a home defense situation (every time I go prone I always remember the video of the Tyler courthouse shooting), rollover or SBR prone will get you lower than conventional service rifle prone and works regardless of magazine length.

If you enjoyed reading about "20 or 30 round magazines for defense?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!