I know every barrel is different, but...

PDA

1911 guy
December 10, 2013, 03:54 AM
This one has got me stumped. So I built a varmint gun. 20" heavy barrel AR with a 1:9 twist. My bolt gun is also a 1:9 and just loves the 60gr. Hornady V-Max over a dose of Hogdon Varget.

So I go to the range with a couple things. First, a spread of handloads to find the "sweet spot" for this rifle. Loads from start to near max charge, magazine length to single load lengths. And... some 45gr. ammo for a bolt gun I used to have with a 1:12 twist. Gonna shoot that up and "reclaim" the brass.

Except it shoots better than any of the 60gr loads.

I know every barrel is a law unto itself, but I admit to being a little confused. Other 1:9 twists I've tried the 45gr load in have slung it down range like a buckshot pattern.

The barrel is a Shaw, freefloated. Any ideas what might be going on here? The thought occurred to me to check the twist, make sure I got what I ordered. Maybe should have done that before I installed it.

If you enjoyed reading about "I know every barrel is different, but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 10, 2013, 03:59 AM
I see no reason why a 1:9 twist barrel wouldn't be accurate with a 45gr bullet, especially from a quality maker like Shaw.

My 1:9 barrel shoots 50gr Sierra bullets like they were made specifically for that rifle. Don't get me wrong, other bullets shoot well too but the 50gr Sierra bullets shoot VERY well.

If you enjoyed reading about "I know every barrel is different, but..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!