Will be choosing between XDs 9mm and Shield 9mm

PDA

Orion8472
December 10, 2013, 11:18 AM
I recently picked up a bitone XDs 9mm, but got a good deal on a 9mm Shield. I'll be taking them both to the range in the next few days to decide which one I will be keeping. The one that doesn't "win the contest" will be sold [probably on here].

I'll be going by feel, accuracy, function, sights, etc.

I'll post here what I find out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will be choosing between XDs 9mm and Shield 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BP Hunter
December 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
Wow, you bought 2 guns just to "test drive" them then sell one of them if you don't like it. Some people just have the money...

Kahr33556
December 10, 2013, 12:45 PM
Xds should win hands down.shield look to see if the front sight is on center before the first range trip. You Will not be able to tap it if needed as the instructions say.

RainDodger
December 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
I want to hear what you think. I have the XDs in .45 - that's why I bought it. I did shoot a Shield in 9mm and in my mind, the action was nicer. If I had to choose between the two in the same caliber it would be difficult. Kahr is right though - the sights are better on the XDs.

DT Guy
December 10, 2013, 01:08 PM
Truthfully, the Shield becomes an entirely different weapon with the $39 Apex sear; night and day. WITH the sear, an awesome carry weapon; without, nearly unshootable (at least the example I had was...)

Just something to consider-

Larry

Orion8472
December 10, 2013, 01:58 PM
BP Hunter, I traded a gun for the XDs. Sold two other guns @ nearly a grand. The Shield wasn't that much. . . . and was a sudden deal. Just FYI

I may have to have an Apex trigger put in before making the final decision. . . . however, when it comes to a carry gun, I tend to want to keep things factory, just in case a lawyer tries to make an issue out of a "modified gun".

viking499
December 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
I handled both the other day. I like the Shield. I did not like the XDS because it seemed to sit so far above my hand. It felt and looked weird to me when holding it,

M2 Carbine
December 10, 2013, 02:58 PM
I have the Shield 9mm and 40 S&W, XDS 45ACP.
All are good guns.

I like the Shield a bit more than the XDS but if it came to one or the other, I would have to pick the XDS for just one reason.
I'm a big believer in lasers, laser/lights on defense guns. All my defense guns are equipped with lasers or laser/lights, if available.

The XDS has a rail, the Shield doesn't. (Crimson Trace makes a laser for the Shield but I like the Rail Master better).

Don't know why I wrote XDX. :)
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/XDSslowfire_zps84965e6a.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/XDSslowfire_zps84965e6a.jpg.html)

Sour Kraut
December 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
In his quest for a small 9mm, my brother bought a Shield, then the XDs when it came out. He fully expected the XDs to win out since he has a compact XD, however, after shooting them side by side, he preferred the Shield and shot it a great deal better. YMMV.

Keep us posted..."

Orion8472
December 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
I will say this up front. As far as appearances go, . . . . the XDs blows away the Shield. The XDs is very asthetically pleasing to the eye. But in the end, this is about a tool, not about looks.

I will be picking up the Shield this afternoon.

Orion8472
December 11, 2013, 09:12 AM
I picked it up last night. Trigger seems to be . . . meh . . . about the same as the XDs. Not a bad trigger at all. It seems to sit a bit higher in my hand. However, the grip is definitely more comfortable to hold onto. So, . . . as it is now:

Looks: Advantage XDs
Feel: Advantage Shield [updated to add, "but just barely. XDs has a good feel too. Different.]
Operation...
Trigger: Toss up
Sights: Advantage XDs
Releasing magazine: Advantage Shield
Takedown: Toss up

I will do the range portion Friday evening.

jon86
December 11, 2013, 10:26 AM
Subbed!

RainDodger
December 11, 2013, 10:34 AM
Not sure what you're saing about releasing the magazine. I don't remember how the Shield worked when I shot it, but when I press the mag release on the XDs, the mag falls free by itself very easily. Isn't that what you found?

viking499
December 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
I hope the Shield works out OK. I pick mine up today. Found one yesterday after noon at a LGS after I made a phone call. He put it back for me and I get it today.:D

Orion8472
December 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
RainDodger, both fall free, however, the release is stiffer on the XDs. Both ways. It takes a bit more force than the release on the Shield.

Thanks for the question.

BP Hunter
December 11, 2013, 11:30 AM
Orion, I was just kidding you. Just like you, I sell my guns to buy a new one. My recent purchase was a Ruger 762. I traded 4 of my guns and walked out paying $0 for a brandnbew rifle which would have cost me $1948.

Madcap_Magician
December 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
I haven't shot an XDs yet, but the grip is a tad shorter than the Shield. I can get a full grip on a Shield, not on an XDs.

Orion8472
December 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
BP Hunter. I had to do a search on the Ruger 762. Nice! :D

gamestalker
December 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
I don't think I've ever fired a Shield before, but I have an XDs 9mm. I love the XDs, and I'm not much for AL's really. And since I have very small hands, the grips fit me very well on the XDs. Let us know what you think after some range time.

GS

Madcap_Magician
December 11, 2013, 05:21 PM
Another thing that may factor in is that the Shield is usually available for about $100 less. Having handled both, I can't say that the XDs is $100 better.

Dean1818
December 11, 2013, 07:53 PM
The Shield trigger will smooth out after 200-300 rounds

Fatdaddy
December 11, 2013, 10:09 PM
I recently traded into a XDS just after buying my Shield.

The XDS had better stock sights but I would be changing those out anyway, hopefully for some TFO's.

Triggers were almost identical with the edge going to the Shield (this had more to do with the actual shape of the trigger than pull weight which was identical on my examples).

The plastic case the XDS comes in is the nicest in the business if not a little large in order to house the junky holster and mag carrier.
I feel this is partially where the $100 price difference factors in.
The Shield comes in a tiny cardboard box that takes up very little room in the bottom of my gun cabinet, along with my other useless collection of junk.

It was truly hard to decide which of the two I was keeping but the Shield seemed to be the better value and fit my large/extra large hands a little better. It also has the words "Springfield, MA USA" engraved on the slide.

If I had plans on attaching a light, the rail of the XDS would have given it the edge but I feel it's only a matter of time before Crimson Trace or another manufacturer comes up with a clamshell type for the Shield, like is offered for the fullsize M&P.

orionengnr
December 12, 2013, 08:04 PM
M2 Carbine:

Nice shooting.

SeanSw
December 12, 2013, 10:58 PM
I dry fired them both side by side this afternoon. The shield had a better trigger than the xds.

And the Ruger sr9c was better than both!

Orion8472
December 13, 2013, 08:56 AM
Of the two I have, the release is pretty similar, but the Shield trigger is creepier. And after a few nights of holding them, I MAY be giving the edge, for grip feel, to the XDs. Tonight wll be the range portion, and will determine the "winner".

M2 Carbine
December 13, 2013, 11:12 AM
I was looking at the 9mm XDS yesterday, at the local gun store.
I wouldn't mind getting the 9mm to go along with the 45 XDS but the price is too high compared to the Shield.

The XDS is pretty accurate.

M2 Carbine:

Nice shooting.

Thanks.
I tore both my shoulders and they still hurt quite a bit. I have to work at shooting now to do decent.

My recent CHL qualification target (Beretta 92).
About the last 20 rounds (of 50 rounds) my shoulders were wearing on me.
Take care of your shoulders. It's a long recovery when you tear them.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/CHLtargetAug1013_zpsb0fb4bf5.jpg (http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/Bell-helicopter-407/media/CHLtargetAug1013_zpsb0fb4bf5.jpg.html)

C0untZer0
December 13, 2013, 11:23 AM
How did you tear your shoulders?

I do pushups every day and I'm starting to worry about getting a rotator cuff injury or something.

meef
December 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
BP Hunter: I traded 4 of my guns and walked out paying $0 for a brandnbew rifle which would have cost me $1948.I had a brandnbew once. Never could get the thing to group very good.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

They don't hold their value very well either.

M2 Carbine
December 13, 2013, 02:19 PM
How did you tear your shoulders?

I do pushups every day and I'm starting to worry about getting a rotator cuff injury or something.
I don't think pushups will tear your RC. From what I've seen it takes a sudden hard yank on your shoulder.

The first time, 1995, I was hooking up a heavy trailer to the tractor. The trailer spun, pulling my left arm across to the right. I could feel the RC tear. I had the mental image of tearing a piece of raw meat apart. Bad pain, it put me on my knees.
A half hour later I was shooting, right handed, I couldn't move my left shoulder.
In two weeks, although it hurt, I was able to move my left arm enough to go back to work (helicopter pilot)
I went for 5 weeks before I got around to getting a MRI and operation.
Then months of painful therapy.

The second time and third time was on a horse. First of last year.

A Jack Rabbit spooked my neighbor's horse, which spooked my horse.
I grabbed the saddle horn, with my right hand to keep from being thrown.
Tore my right shoulder but I didn't think it was bad (it was).

When I unsaddled the horse I let the saddle roll to the left to favor my right shoulder.
I guess because of the weight and angle, when the weight hit my left shoulder it sounded like little bones breaking in my left shoulder.
It put me on my knees again.

A few days later, before I went to the Doctor, my neighbor had a horse fall on him breaking his pelvis and putting him in bed.

Since I was the only one that could/would take care of his horses it was almost three months before I got the MRI and the first operation on my left shoulder. Then a couple more months before the operation on my right shoulder.

Of course delaying the surgery for months was a bad thing and caused me a lot of pain, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Now I still can't hold a pistol out Left handed but being 75 years old probably slows the healing process to. :)

Sorry for the long off subject post but it might help a shooter avoid a shoulder tear interfering with their shooting.

Teachu2
December 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
I don't think pushups will tear your RC. From what I've seen it takes a sudden hard yank on your shoulder.

The first time, 1995, I was hooking up a heavy trailer to the tractor. The trailer spun, pulling my left arm across to the right. I could feel the RC tear. I had the mental image of tearing a piece of raw meat apart. Bad pain, it put me on my knees.
A half hour later I was shooting, right handed, I couldn't move my right shoulder.
In two weeks, although it hurt, I was able to move my left arm enough to go back to work (helicopter pilot)
I went for 5 weeks before I got around to getting a MRI and operation.
Then months of painful therapy.

The second time and third time was on a horse. First of last year.

A Jack Rabbit spooked my neighbor's horse, which spooked my horse.
I grabbed the saddle horn, with my right hand to keep from being thrown.
Tore my right shoulder but I didn't think it was bad (it was).

When I unsaddled the horse I let the saddle roll to the left to favor my right shoulder.
I guess because of the weight and angle, when the weight hit my left shoulder it sounded like little bones breaking in my left shoulder.
It put me on my knees again.

A few days later, before I went to the Doctor, my neighbor had a horse fall on him breaking his pelvis and putting him in bed.

Since I was the only one that could/would take care of his horses it was almost three months before I got the MRI and the first operation on my left shoulder. Then a couple more months before the operation on my right shoulder.

Of course delaying the surgery for months was a bad thing and caused me a lot of pain, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Now I still can't hold a pistol out Left handed but being 75 years old probably slows the healing process to. :)

Sorry for the long off subject post but it might help a shooter avoid a shoulder tear interfering with their shooting.

Just one of the reasons I'll never own another horse!

Orion8472
December 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
Okay, guys, . . . I went to the range with both guns, yesterday, . . . and I made the decision as to which one went in my carry holster. I loaded them both up, placed two targets up then shot them. Did this several times. Both handled and shot well. No issues between either of them. But when it was all done, . . . the shield ended up in the carry holster. I felt that the trigger feel was more comfortable, as was the handle [overall]. Also, by the end of the session, my last grouping was by far the best with the Shield.

Bitter sweet, really. The XDs looks SO much better, but it isn't about looks in this game. So, begrudgingly, . . . the XDs will be sold. I don't need both and really should sell it to put towards another car [eventually].

Thanks for the comments.

Tommygunn
December 14, 2013, 11:40 AM
A half hour later I was shooting, right handed, I couldn't move my left shoulder.

"Pull up on the collective, M2.... NOW would be a good time to pull up on the collective ... couldja pleeeeeeaaazzze pull up on the --" *SPLAT!* ~~Imaginary conversation with M2 Carbine, chopper pilot with bad left shoulder.:evil:

Sorry 'bout that, M2, a bit off topic. Hope you don't mind -- and hope your shoulder is better. :D

Fatdaddy
December 14, 2013, 04:59 PM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/lowangz/grailknight.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/user/lowangz/media/grailknight.jpg.html)

You have chosen...wisely.

David E
December 14, 2013, 05:05 PM
The Shield trigger will smooth out after 200-300 rounds
Why not just dry fire it 200-300 times? It'll save 200-300 rds of ammo

verdun59
December 14, 2013, 05:20 PM
Well i recently got a shield and seem to cursed with the low and left syndrome that have read about. I've gotten a little better but to look at my target is to behold a shotgun pattern. I've been considering the XDS since I own a XD9 which I can shoot quite accurately, so I find your test to be informative. So far the Shield has not lived up to it's hype with me, but before I buy ONE MORE gun I'll just have to keep trying ...... damn expensive testing.

KTXdm9
December 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
Why not just dry fire it 200-300 times? It'll save 200-300 rds of ammo
Because shooting 200-300 rounds is more fun??

KTXdm9
December 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
Well i recently got a shield and seem to cursed with the low and left syndrome that have read about. I've gotten a little better but to look at my target is to behold a shotgun pattern. I've been considering the XDS since I own a XD9 which I can shoot quite accurately, so I find your test to be informative. So far the Shield has not lived up to it's hype with me, but before I buy ONE MORE gun I'll just have to keep trying ...... damn expensive testing.
There's always an adjustment period with a new pistol, for me at least. Low and left is usually a "syndrome" associated with the shooter, not the pistol. Try more dry firing practice or mixing in snap caps at the range to see if you are flinching/slapping the trigger.

Orion8472
December 15, 2013, 10:23 AM
Fatdaddy, . . . . . . . . . NICE!!! :D

verdun, my patterns were wider with both at the beginning, but it was the Shield that I was able to bring the pattern in with better. But these are small guns not really setup for target shooting. Yet, at the same time, you DO need it to hit close to where you're wanting it to go, so yeah, it gets expensive trying to find the one that will work for you. . . . . . spending a lot of money on ammo to accomplish this.

If you're good with your full size XD, . . . you'd probably be good with the XDs. At least the trigger should be similar.

Pilot
December 16, 2013, 06:09 PM
"Pull up on the collective, M2.... NOW would be a good time to pull up on the collective ... couldja pleeeeeeaaazzze pull up on the --" *SPLAT!* ~~Imaginary conversation with M2 Carbine, chopper pilot with bad left shoulder.:evil:

Sorry 'bout that, M2, a bit off topic. Hope you don't mind -- and hope your shoulder is better. :D

That's why I only fly fixed wing. Don't think I'll be flying the collection of randomly moving parts. :)

I rented a Shield last week at a local range, and liked it a lot. I am not much of a polymer fan, nor especially a fan of S&W autos, but you can't argue that the Shield is a slick little pistol. I am also considering the XDs, and the Walther PPS. I may go back next week, and rent the PPS as they don't have a XDs for rental.

LUCKYDAWG13
December 16, 2013, 06:28 PM
i just like the fact that the XDs does not have a safety on it
pull point bang

gym
December 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
I had both, sold the shield. I would rather have 6 or 8 rounds of 45.

If you enjoyed reading about "Will be choosing between XDs 9mm and Shield 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!